• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Muzy72

Banned
Limited theater cities.

http://www.kingsglaivefinalfantasyxv-movie.com/site/

CoGcaQuVIAAGRxh.jpg:orig

Lubbock and El Paso before San Antonio and Austin?

Fucking lol

Mipcgamer

Seems like Kingsglaive has a number of enemies from previous FF games showing up in it. I hope this means we'll see Ultros, Cerberus, and Diamond Weapon in FFXV proper.

If we see this monsters and others in the game, it would be incredible. They could be part of those hunting wanted monsters sidequests.

Oh CRAP it's playing at a theater right up the street from me.

This has probably been asked a few times in this thread but I couldn't seem to find it -

Are you "supposed" to watch this before playing the game? The op says it's simultaneous for the first few chapters, but will it sort of semi-spoiler that experience a little, rather than add to it?

I watched the first episode of Brotherhood and it contained a very underwhelming reveal of Noctis's mother that made me want to quit watching them until after the game.

Oh CRAP it's playing at a theater right up the street from me.

This has probably been asked a few times in this thread but I couldn't seem to find it -

Are you "supposed" to watch this before playing the game? The op says it's simultaneous for the first few chapters, but will it sort of semi-spoiler that experience a little, rather than add to it?

I watched the first episode of Brotherhood and it contained a very underwhelming reveal of Noctis's mother that made me want to quit watching them until after the game.

From the panel:

"Kingsglaive stands on its own and can be enjoyed without knowledge of the previous games. But if you play Final Fantasy XV there are many references in the game that you wouldn't necessarily understand without watching the film. Kingsglaive depicts the events that lead into the game's story, starting with the main character King Regis fighting the enemy empire.

Along with Final Fantasy XV, the main theme portrayed in Kingsglaive is the bond between father and son. While watching the film you'll see the love they have for each other and understanding the pressures of fufilling the responsibility of being King."

Watch the movie before playing the game.

The anime is to give more insight into the bros and how they became friends and such.. If you don't care about the bro dynamic skip it. The game probably won't even mention or highlight Noctis mom so I was surprised she even got a few seconds in the anime lol

Ydelnae

If you plan to watch the movie regardless and you are interested in the universe, watch it before playing the game.

Edit: I will update the OP with the new info as soon as I can.

From the panel:
If you plan to watch the movie regardless and you are interested in the universe, watch it before playing the game.
Ooh, thanks a ton! My excitement for the movie has been released from a cage and is going wild.

I actually did enjoy the first episode of the anime, since it was basically Free: The JRPG. It gives me hope for all the great banter the game's going to have.

Kirie

Was crossing my fingers for it to show here in Montreal :( Ah well.

My dad has always loved watching the FF movies (yes even Spirits Within, which he took me to opening day as a child) and watched me play the games growing up.. he's almost 70 now and I showed him the trailer and the info today since I figured he'd be interested, and he's officially hyped :D

329XcwN.jpg

Samimista

Was crossing my fingers for it to show here in Montreal :( Ah well.

My dad has always loved watching the FF movies (yes even Spirits Within, which he took me to opening day as a child) and watched me play the games growing up.. he's almost 70 now and I showed him the trailer and the info today since I figured he'd be interested, and he's officially hyped :D

Your dad is seriously cool.

I wish my parents were into Final Fantasy. My older brother sort of is, but hasn't played a mainline since X. I remember years ago though he was intrigued with Versus XIII's 2011 trailer.

Is your dad interested in the actual game for XV? I'd love to hear his thoughts about it (and the movie) sometime.

They really went all out for the voice actors this time around.

Cool icon, friend. :)

Kirie

Your dad is seriously cool.

I wish my parents were into Final Fantasy. My older brother sort of is, but hasn't played a mainline since X. I remember years ago though he was intrigued with Versus XIII's 2011 trailer.

Is your dad interested in the actual game for XV? I'd love to hear his thoughts about it (and the movie) sometime.

Thank you :D I'm sure I'll post his thoughts along with mine whenever both the movie and the game come out in the various OTs!

He is actually! He's never really been into playing games himself (and he couldn't now even if he wanted to, especially after his stroke) but I promised him I'd bring the PS4 with me back home when I visit in October and play through the game with him while he watches. He loves the stories in them (FF7/FF8 were his favorites) and the graphics. It's always been prime father/daughter bonding material. I'm pretty lucky I think to have a parent still so interested in my hobbies considering I'm almost 30!

I think Kingsglaive in particular really catches his eye because he's especially fond of the whole realism+fantasy angle.

The anime is to give more insight into the bros and how they became friends and such.. If you don't care about the bro dynamic skip it. The game probably won't even mention or highlight Noctis mom so I was surprised she even got a few seconds in the anime lol
Surprised they even gave that much to her. They could've very well went the Cloud route, where we know his mother, but the father isn't even referenced much. He was probably conceived through virgin birth via midichlorians.

Samimista

Thank you :D I'm sure I'll post his thoughts along with mine whenever both the movie and the game come out in the various OTs!

He is actually! He's never really been into playing games himself (and he couldn't now even if he wanted to, especially after his stroke) but I promised him I'd bring the PS4 with me back home when I visit in October and play through the game with him while he watches. He loves the stories in them (FF7/FF8 were his favorites) and the graphics. It's always been prime father/daughter bonding material. I'm pretty lucky I think to have a parent still so interested in my hobbies considering I'm almost 30!

I think Kingsglaive in particular really catches his eye because he's especially fond of the whole realism+fantasy angle.

Ah, anytime. I'd love to hear both of your thoughts. :)

I actually might get my dad to watch Kingsglaive with me since he's a big Sean Bean fan, haha.

Sorry about your dad's stroke. That must be hard for him (and your family), but it's endearing how video games can bring people close together. It's like you and your dad will be joining Noctis and his bros on the roadtrip. :)

Yeah, I really love how Kingsglaive looks. If I was rich, I'd gladly buy Lunafreya's outfits. xD

My parents and I have watched General Hospital for years (also where my username comes from), and they love Jason Morgan who's played by Steve Burton. It blows their minds finding out he voice acts in video games, haha. Though, I personally watched GH before Advent Children released, so even I was a bit surprised with the casting.

Weird no LA considering it's here where they announced it.

I guess I shouldn't assume, but I'm operating under the assumption that LA, Chicago and other big cities should have dates announced once we get a bit closer to release (as screens are bit more tightly booked in the larger cities).

This is really heartwarming - I have two little kids, and we always watch the XV trailers together, and they sat with me through Duscae and Platinum.They're into it, but, at their age, I think it's much more about doing what daddy is doing (and the fact that they don't get much regular screen time).

But I have to admit some hesitation at getting them too into my stuff, in large part due to the iron wall my own (loving and likable) old school parents put up between their hobbies and interests and my own. It was basically a hold over from the fifties - kid stuff is kid stuff and adult stuff is adult stuff, and never the twain shall meet.

Kirie

@Samimista -
You really should! Hopefully you can watch it together with him :) Are you near one of the theaters that's showing it or will you have to watch it on digital/disc?

Thanks so much! Luckily he's much improved, and we're all grateful since it could have been worse, so there's always that silver lining.

I'm still pretty shocked by the few high profile voice actors they cast for the movie, but going by the previews they fit perfectly imo. I'm usually a fan of Japanese dubs but I'm definitely going to be enjoying this in English!

That's pretty funny about Steve Burton :) I think he does a great job as Cloud imo, so I'm happy to see him in the Remake.

@YankeeDonB-
That's adorable!! Are there any characters they particularly like from all of the trailers/demo? The Platinum demo was probably really fun for them to watch :)

I can definitely understand that sentiment! For me my parents actively encouraged all 7 of us kids to play games (which is something I've always taken a bit for granted), but they were really never into them much themselves. My mom dabbled in Mario, Zelda and Sonic while we were growing up and dad would always watch us play and chat about what was happening but not much more than that. They generally had their own hobbies and we had ours, but they at least took a large interest in what we did which I think is mainly what matters most imo.

Ketaya

Amazon Germany updated their listing for the Blu-ray release with the included languages:

Audio: Russian, German, English, Spanish (Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS HD)
Subtitels: German, English, Danish, Estonian, Finnish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish

Of cause this isn't 100% official, but it looks correct.
We know that there will be French voices as well, but they are probably only included in a second EU version featuring a different set of languages (My guess: French, English, Italian + one other).

I have to say, not having Japanese voices included would be a bit disappointing and weird.
I can see it happening though, Sprirts Within didn't feature Japanese audio either in the German release. (Advent Children did though)

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01F1VIJ50/

Koozek

Amazon Germany updated their listing for the Blu-ray release with the included languages:

Of cause this isn't 100% official, but it looks correct.
We know that there will be French voices as well, but they are probably only included in a second EU version featuring a different set of languages (My guess: French, English, Italian + one other).

I have to say, not having Japanese voices included would be a bit disappointing and weird.
I can see it happening though, Sprirts Within didn't feature Japanese audio either in the German release. (Advent Children did though)

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01F1VIJ50/
Well, in this case Japanese wasn't the original dub, anyway. The lip-sync is based on the English VA.

@Samimista -

@YankeeDonB-
That's adorable!! Are there any characters they particularly like from all of the trailers/demo? The Platinum demo was probably really fun for them to watch :)

I can definitely understand that sentiment! For me my parents actively encouraged all 7 of us kids to play games (which is something I've always taken a bit for granted), but they were really never into them much themselves. My mom dabbled in Mario, Zelda and Sonic while we were growing up and dad would always watch us play and chat about what was happening but not much more than that. They generally had their own hobbies and we had ours, but they at least took a large interest in what we did which I think is mainly what matters most imo.

They're really into Noctis - although they're always excited to see "grumpy man!" (Verstael) and Titan, who my daughter is very intent on assuring everyone "is really good, even though he's scary."

They particularly liked Platinum, especially mini Noctis part!

And yeah, agreed on the bolded...

artsi

So does that mean it did good? If so lol at the quick doom and gloom couple pages back. Gaf proving again h gauging sales and success is their weak point

For their expectations yeah.
A realistic CG movie didn't do as well in Japan as some huge anime otaku magnets, surprise.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Koozek

So does that mean it did good? If so lol at the quick doom and gloom couple pages back. Gaf proving again h gauging sales and success is their weak point

But it flopped and nobody wanted to see the movie, people told me?

Tabata was like "Someone actually went and watch it? Lol"
Yeah, LOL@comments like "SE didn't learn from the past, this will bomb like Spirits Within again!". Everyone with a bit of an understanding knew they've never had any expectations for the theatre release. It was planned as a straight-to-DVD/Blu-ray and VOD affair, plus an incentive for the Deluxe/Collector's edition.

For their expectations yeah.
A realistic CG movie didn't do as well in Japan as some huge anime otaku magnets, surprise.

¯_(ツ)_/¯
Pretty much. That's why I don't try to gauge the sales of something I don't understand nor know what expectations they have set.

And as you said try and compare a cgi prequel movie to a game to an animated phenomenon in Japan. But aye I was told to look at the graphics it obviously wasn't cheap to make so what do I kno

Top Bottom