• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Go_Ly_Dow

"The Citizen Kane of Video Game Movies"

4AndAHalfStars.png

-Sean Bean
-Aaron Paul
-Lena Headey

Dislikes:
-No Kiefer Sutherland

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched it. Hmmm. I'll try to write something longer later. I enjoyed most of the movie but I'm a little tired today and might have been distracted during some of the fight scenes. The night fight scenes were a bit difficult to watch, due to suffering from overly quick cuts. I felt that the movie needed more room to breath. It was a bit too hyper active right from the beginning.

It is a good video game movie but an average movie movie.
I can see average viewers not knowing what's going on with the hanging ending. Which is not a cliffhanger but an obvious prologue to a much bigger experience that they may not have heard of.

Usobuko

Banned
Just watched it. Hmmm. I'll try to write something longer later. I enjoyed most of the movie but I'm a little tired today and might have been distracted during some of the fight scenes. The night fight scenes were a bit difficult to watch, due to suffering from overly quick cuts. I felt that the movie needed more room to breath. It was a bit too hyper active right from the beginning.

It is a good video game movie but an average movie movie.
I can see average viewers not knowing what's going on with the hanging ending. Which is not a cliffhanger but an obvious prologue to a much bigger experience that they may not have heard of.

Concur with this.

The action sequences are so chaotic and this is obviously a prologue.

Koozek

It's actually quite decent.

There's no anime esque cringe that plague so many Japanese stories.

It's written by Dan Inoue (who's done English translation for FFXII:Revenant Wings, FFXIV, and now FFXV) and other Western writers, and he said in an interview that it was "done from a Western perspective in a lot of ways" and that it "more than any other FF before will feel like something natural to a NA audience".

https://youtu.be/3WDwAoF5rQc?t=1m20s

Hearing the positive impressions of Kingsglaive's natural writing I'm hoping even more SE takes the same approach with future FF games, or at least gets new, better Japanese writers on-board that don't rely on tired Anime tropes and overly convoluted eso-metaphysical babble, how I like to call it, like Nojima and Watanabe have been doing for almost 20 years now :/

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's written by Dan Inoue and other Western writers, and he said in an interview that it was "done from a Western perspective in a lot of ways" and that it "more than any other FF before will feel like something natural to a NA audience".

https://youtu.be/3WDwAoF5rQc?t=1m20s

Hearing the positive impressions of Kingsglaive's natural writing I'm hoping even more SE takes the same approach with future FF games, or at least gets new, better Japanese writers on-board that don't rely on tired Anime tropes and overly convoluted eso-metaphysical babble, how I like to call it, like Nojima and Watanabe have been doing for almost 20 years now :/
XIV already does this actually. The lead localization guy helps write the lore and other things.

Koozek

XIV already does this actually. The lead localization guy helps write the lore and other things.

Well, and you always say the writing is better than most FFs, right? I think this is a necessary step, especially now that console FF is inevitably dead in Japan and will rely pretty much solely on the West, as many Japanese game writers are heavily influenced by the Anime style of writing and characterization that most of the time just doesn't feel natural, if not grating, to a Western audience, who prefers something more grounded and believable in RPGs. By having fresh blood on FFXV's script with Saori Itamuro there is at least a chance that she might turn out to be actually good, as we don't know yet what she's capable of. It can't be worse than the FFXIII-saga's writing, anyway. I don't even think that'd be technically possible.
---

It was bad. :(

More later.

CYaWSTM.gif

duckroll

Okay so I'm still on the train but goddamn. Nozue is still a really weak director and it shows. Terrible actiob storyboarding, chaotic cuts, poor transitions, cantseeshit. Half the movie is set at night with close up action filled with garish effects and iffy sound mixing.

Fans familiar with the FMV in FFXIII where they all ride their summons to attack Eden on the highway will recognize the same nonsensical camerawork here. Visualworks animated the hell out of the movie but the direction is still amateur shit. >_<

wmlk

Fans familiar with the FMV in FFXIII where they all ride their summons to attack Eden on the highway will recognize the same nonsensical camerawork here. Visualworks animated the hell out of the movie but the direction is still amateur shit. >_<

But people actually like that CG scene because it looked "cool". I hated the shit out of it. I think people will be happy with that.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well, and you always say the writing is better than most FFs, right? I think this is a necessary step, especially now that console FF is inevitably dead in Japan and will rely pretty much solely on the West, as many Japanese game writers are heavily influenced by the Anime style of writing and characterization that most of the time just doesn't feel natural, if not grating, to a Western audience, who prefers something more grounded and believable in RPGs. By having fresh blood on FFXV's script with Saori Itamuro there is at least a chance that she might turn out to be actually good, as we don't know yet what she's capable of. It can't be worse than the FFXIII-saga's writing, anyway. I don't even think that'd be technically possible.
---

CYaWSTM.gif

There are still good Japanese writers out there. SE just needs to hire them. In fact the Japanese writing staff on XIV is excellent.

Itamauro worked on Dissidia, she's not exactly new.

Okay so I'm still on the train but goddamn. Nozue is still a really weak director and it shows. Terrible actiob storyboarding, chaotic cuts, poor transitions, cantseeshit. Half the movie is set at night with close up action filled with garish effects and iffy sound mixing.

I get really tired of quick cut action. Slow it down a little, let people see what's happening. More Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or Ong Bak, less Transformers/generic big budget Hollywood action style >:-(

There are still good Japanese writers out there. SE just needs to hire them. In fact the Japanese writing staff on XIV is excellent.

Itamauro worked on Dissidia, she's not exactly new.

Japan is a country of 130 million people, this shouldn't even be necessary to say. People sometimes go a little overboard w/ crapping on Japanese talent around here.

Also, I'm not sure Dissidia is a fair benchmark for a writer's talent, though I suppose a great writer could have done a bit more with it.

This is literally the worst thing you could have told me. I fucking hate that FMV.

Whyyyy can't they just put Jun Akiyama in charge of one of these

duckroll

There is one clever transition in the entire film. IIRC it was the Audi turning a bend into the camera and it transits to an airship turning out of the camera in the same direction to shift the scene to Teneberau (?).

I remember it because the rest of the transitions were so forgettable.

Koozek

Okay, damn, that's actually what I hoped wouldn't be the case, as I've always hated FFXIII's chaotic direction in the FMV, especially the exact same scene in Eden you mentioned, which I honestly still don't understand how anyone could approve of - you don't see shit or have any sense of what's happening, which is a shame given the amazing assets. Well... not like I expected an amazingly directed movie movie. I'm in just for some awesome visuals and FFXV lore hype :p

There is one clever transition in the entire film. IIRC it was the Audi turning a bend into the camera and it transits to an airship turning out of the camera in the same direction to shift the scene to Teneberau (?).

I remember it because the rest of the transitions were so forgettable.

So it's not Fellini - how does it work as game fan service do you think?

artsi

What did you think about the story, after seeing the movie are you interested in how it will continue with the game?

duckroll

So it's not Fellini - how does it work as game fan service do you think?

Pretty good. Diamond Weapon looks great. The Ultros scene was much longer than i expected and an actual fun sequence. But the biggest problem is that this is a FF setting no one has any connection to. As an introduction to the world I think it does a poor job. There is a VERY rushed opening narration which sets stuff up which is probably expanded on in the game. The stuff exclusive to the movie feel... oddly pointless despite wanting to be really tragic and somber.

Okay, damn, that's actually what I hoped wouldn't be the case, as I've always hated FFXIII's chaotic direction in the FMV, especially the exact same scene in Eden you mentioned, which I honestly still don't understand how anyone could approve of - you don't see shit or have any sense of what's happening, which is a shame given the amazing assets. Well... not like I expected an amazingly directed movie movie. I'm in just for some awesome visuals and FFXV lore hype :p

I mean, a key component of visuals being awesome is being able to tell what's going on, I think. There are some pretty basic and correct rules to editing logic that Nozue constantly throws out the window - not to do something clever and sophisticated, but more because it's not clear that he understands the rules in the first place.

duckroll

What did you think about the story, after seeing the movie are you interested in how it will continue with the game?

No, not at all. If anything, it makes me worried that the game will be a simplistic barebones story of two people reuniting, peppered with eyerolling tryhard faux socio-political fluff.

After Kingsglaive I am convinced that almost nothing remains of the Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet inspired stuff Versus promised. Tabata has a different style and I'm not a fan.

The dialogue was very good for what it is though. Very natural, other than the nonsense names and terms.

wmlk

Are we really sure that FFXV was Romeo and Juliet stuff? Especially when Nomura has said otherwise and devs confirmed that the quotes are just to set the tone more than anything?

I totally got the Hamlet vibe from Versus and get the same feel from FFXV. Even more so with FFXV now.

With the new FFXV I miss the whole Baz Luhrmann R+J and Gatsby's crystalline look more than anything. It looked rad.

Top Bottom