• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Koozek

I don't think it's intended to be a Japanese pun at all considering how the film seems to take pains to remove anything remotely "Japanese" about the setting and characters to make it look like a badass Hollywood fantasy action movie.

There seems to be an izakaya in Insomnia that Nyx and his gang will visit, but yeah, Tokyo!Insomnia is dead.

This was said during the recent CGWorld Making-of stream:
It's interesting to hear that Insomnia's westernized design is seemingly actually the result of Japanese fans complaining about the city's similiarity to Tokyo. According to one of the art directors, the goal was to create something that would feel distinct for Western and Japanese audiences.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
A glaive is a sword. In the context of the FFXV world, the Kingsglaive is the elite unit of knights who protect the royal family. Like... in Game of Thrones... the... Kingsguard.

More of a spear really. A slashing polearm similar to a naginata or a halberd.

Arkeband

Banned
It'd be nice if they added a screen to upstate NY, specifically the Albany region. They'd have nerds coming out of the woodwork.

Toth

Lol, I think they were talking about Nyx' ass here (only understood "sekshi"/sexy):
CpVlRIsXYAIgxrG.jpg

Source.

Stupid, sexy Flanders!

Feels like they is nothing at all...

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Man, this is what happens when you don't follow Final Fantasy since... well FF 9.

I'm like... "why is there a futuristic Audi in Final Fantasy? Why is that dude with a sword running up to a guy with a gun? Is that Bahamut flying up the side of that building? Does that mean that there's gonna be Chocobos and Airships? What's up with all the pretty white people? I thought this was a Japanese production!"

So out of touch...

Man, this is what happens when you don't follow Final Fantasy since... well FF 9.

I'm like... "why is there a futuristic Audi in Final Fantasy? Why is that dude with a sword running up to a guy with a gun? Is that Bahamut flying up the side of that building? Does that mean that there's gonna be Chocobos and Airships? What's up with all the pretty white people? I thought this was a Japanese production!"

So out of touch...

If you replace "Audi" with "generic modern car", your post could equally apply to the PS1 FF trilogy...

Mcdohl

So out of touch...

Try this thread.

Koozek

So out of touch...
Watch these recent trailers of the game FFXV (this thread is about the movie in case you didn't realize it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C05PC_dGjsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHL2DOx7PCI (yeah, ignore the music - it's not from the game itself, just a remix from an Electronic producer/DJ)

Technically cars and guns were in FFVII and FFVIII already :p

Whompa02

So out of touch...

Have you not played a Final Fantasy since 1994? Genuinely curious since the game's style/art direction had been changed post 6.

Ishida

Banned

So out of touch...

So.. You stopped at IX? Does that mean you played VII and VIII?

If so, why are you so surprised at seeing cars, and guys with swords running up to guys with guns?

Not sure I'm getting you...

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Have you not played a Final Fantasy since 1994? Genuinely curious since the game's style/art direction had been changed post 6.

Honestly? I played up until the Shinra Tower in FF 7, got bored with running up stairs, and was done. Wasn't a fan of the game. Watched my friend play, since his love of the game was kind of infectious. At the time he was fighting one of the Weapons near the end of the game, showed me a bunch of summons, and I... sort of got my fill. Never played FF 8. 9 drew me back in, and by 10 I was tired of Final Fantasy.

Saw the Final Fantasy movie, and wondered how it had anything to do with Final Fantasy. This movie sort of has the same effect on me, but I know that there's a lot that I've missed.

I understand that there was that whole magic+technology thing going on in FF 6, but SEEING it in CGI is different than seeing pixel art in 1994 and using your imagination to fill in the gaps.

Koozek

Honestly? I played up until the Shinra Tower in FF 7, got bored with running up stairs, and was done. Wasn't a fan of the game. Watched my friend play, since his love of the game was kind of infectious. At the time he was fighting one of the Weapons near the end of the game, showed me a bunch of summons, and I... sort of got my fill. Never played FF 8. 9 drew me back in, and by 10 I was tired of Final Fantasy.

Saw the Final Fantasy movie, and wondered how it had anything to do with Final Fantasy. This movie sort of has the same effect on me, but I know that there's a lot that I've missed.

I understand that there was that whole magic+technology thing going on in FF 6, but SEEING it in CGI is different than seeing pixel art in 1994 and using your imagination to fill in the gaps.
This is how summons look now :D

CheerfulBountifulJapanesebeetle.gif

RsSESd5.gif

(Sped-up GIF)
ecqukj.gif

Go_Ly_Dow

I recently stayed in a hotel in the same block as the Tokyo government building in Shinjuku (my room was actually opposite the royal palace building). Whilst walking around the area at night it became very apparent that the old Insomnia design was based entirely on that district.

If you want to experience the original Insomnia then my advice is to visit that place :p

(the current Insomnia design in the game is still quite a close match from the snippets we've seen)

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
13/22 US showings are now in Texas and California. There are other states guys. Hope they massively expand that list before next Friday. I'd even be willing to drive to New Orleans if they won't give it to the capital city.

addik

Head's up, Philippines, SM Cinema just announced that they're showing the film next week!

No list of theaters yet, but SM is pretty nationwide so you can expect it showing in major SM Malls.

Koozek

I hope FF never goes in this direction in future FF games otherwise series dead to me. Don't care for realistic games.

Took you almost 20 years to realize this? FFVII, FFVIII were a blend of reality and fantasy, too. Cars, guns, modern technology, monsters, summons, swords, magic etc. Kingsglaive is the same. To be fair, it's the most realistic setting yet, yeah.

LTTP FFVIII: The Aesthetic Fore-bearer to FFXV

Or are you talking about art-style, not setting? If so, then well... it'll be dead to you, no doubt. Mainline FFs will never ever be stylized visually. The setting will surely be more medieval/fantastical again, though. Rumors point to FFXVI being more like that.

Dark_castle

FFXII isn't realistic at all. Yes, the character models are more realistic than standard JRPG, but their design and the world are mainly medieval fantasy mixed with steampunk, and a bit of sci-fi. This is unlike Kingsglaive or XV where characters are dressed in clothing one can find in real life, and locations which are modelled after real world locations, and locales that are set in contemporary setting.

LAA

I hope FF never goes in this direction in future FF games otherwise series dead to me. Don't care for realistic games.

Because summoning swords and floating rocks is realistic.
Honestly doesn't seem so far off the likes of FF7 really, which to many is the most iconic one.

duckroll

FFXII isn't realistic at all. Yes, the character models are more realistic than standard JRPG, but their design and the world are mainly medieval fantasy mixed with steampunk, and a bit of sci-fi. This is unlike Kingsglaive or XV where characters are dressed in clothing one can find in real life, and locations which are modelled after real world locations, and locales that are set in contemporary setting.

Yeah Kingsglaive sure looks realistic. These characters are totally dressed in clothing one can find in real life, and these locations sure look modeled after real world locations. Setting is fucking contemporary too, I remember just the other day fighting monsters Pokemon while I was out shopping.

3N8Z7t5.jpg

Ipp6lXZ.png

uv0zedt.jpg

aUsypF2.jpg

SHIT I CAN'T HANDLE ALL THE REALISM HERE, HELP!

XzZUGDO.jpg

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
As an observer, I am interested in seeing duckroll's thoughts as well. Is this the world Celestial Being has realized...?

Go_Ly_Dow

The original Nomura fanboy keep us posted!

In my years of studying this peculiar oddity known as 'duckroll', I have come to learn that the being does sometimes provide wisdom. It can unfortunately be hard to interpret it as he/she/it uses a series of complex coding to convey its feelings.

duckroll

In my years of studying this peculiar oddity known as 'duckroll', I have come to learn that the being does sometimes provide wisdom. It can unfortunately be hard to interpret it as he/she/it uses a series of complex coding to convey its feelings.

Have you had any dreams lately? I need to know if I'm walking into a trap!

Duckroll "An enigma to unravel"

Dark_castle

Yeah Kingsglaive sure looks realistic. These characters are totally dressed in clothing one can find in real life, and these locations sure look modeled after real world locations. Setting is fucking contemporary too, I remember just the other day fighting monsters Pokemon while I was out shopping.

I never say that Kingsglaive doesn't have its fictional elements, but you can't deny that XV has a lot elements associated with 'realism' than most JRPG, including Insomnia being modelled after Shinjuku, Altissia after Venice, and so on.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The more realistic/modern FFs are my favorite. FF6 even leans into this category with its Steampunk/decline of magic setting.

duckroll

I never say that Kingsglaive doesn't have its fictional elements, but you can't deny that XV has a lot elements associated with 'realism' than most JRPG, including Insomnia being modelled after Shinjuku, Altissia after Venice, and so on.

I feel it was more true with Versus than it is with FFXV. Kingsglaive tones down even MORE of the elements FFXV already toned down. So really, it just feels like FFVIII+FFXII. Except really, really pretty.

Dark_castle

I feel it was more true with Versus than it is with FFXV. Kingsglaive tones down even MORE of the elements FFXV already toned down. So really, it just feels like FFVIII+FFXII. Except really, really pretty.

Most of the 'realistic' elements from Versus seem to be in tact with XV though, from the places that are based on real places on Earth, all the fashion designer outfits, the Audi car, fucking Coleman collaborations, and so on. It's really closer to Shadow Hearts/Parasite Eve (which is actually a plus in my book, I loved RPG in modern setting) at this point than FFVIII or FFXII.

Now here's the weird part. FFXV is trying to do two things, where you have these realistic themes mixed with completely fictional, fantasy stuff like the medieval armors, fantasy locales, so it's a mixed bag. It's like the designers couldn't settle on creating just one type of setting and wants the best of both worlds, so they made it like that.

Go_Ly_Dow

Have you had any dreams lately? I need to know if I'm walking into a trap!

As was foretold in FFX: "Someday the dream will end"

My dreams ended a long time ago and crossed over in to reality, along with the game itself for that matter.

This reality was further cemented when by chance (for work reasons) I was placed in a hotel room in Shinjuku which faced the government building which is seen in the game. Here is a picture below that I took.

Whilst staying in that room I awoke at 2am and could not fall back to sleep. I decided to go for a walk, during at which time I took this photo which captured the Insomnia that we long for.

Whilst on this walk I came across a park. At this park I saw a lone person in the distance sitting on a bench, a vending machine at which I purchased some apple juice and finally 2 cats having a scrap. One of the cats kicked the crap out of the other and then chased all the way out of the park.

I think the lone person symbolized Nomura. The apple juice signified that the movie would be a refreshing change for Final Fantasy movies. Finally the cat fight was a sign that the movie will pull no punches. No more dilly dally shilly shally.

Top Bottom