• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Hey guys, am I crazy?

CrJR6RGWEAAjqa_.jpg

Haven't seen the film yet but the right guy in this picture reminds me of Alexander O. Smith:

PVP72jH.jpg

Famassu

The film doesn't even have a lot of lore, stuff just happens in a disjointed sequence of events that for a lot of the film, have very little to do with each other. As this post smartly pointed out, the why behind a shit ton of events in the film are not explained very well if at all. And even when it does have lore, it's not expanded on very well, abandoned entirely, or straight up doesn't fit in context.

'

Take this into account:
Luna is said to have been way too intelligent to ever believe in peace, she's said to be incredibly strong willed, this is what we're told, yet her actions are like those of someone who has the opposite qualities, she's smart enough to read the political intrigues of two warring factions yet jumps out of an airship on "faith."

She's just poorly written as a character and the fact that it was stated that the film justifies not having a female character in the party and that she is a "modern woman" is straight up insulting.
To be fair, a lot of those questions are the like that we'll likely hear answers to in the game.
We are not supposed to know the full extent of Niflheim's plans with the crystal. This movie just sets up them having stolen it. As to why go to such great lengths to destroy the city, they seemed intent on destroying Insomnia just so that they'd stay down after being beaten, instead of leaving a city filled with people who oppose them intact. I mean, destroying your enemies so badly that they can't retaliate is kind of basic warfare.

And, what, exactly, is Regis supposed to do to Niflheim except shield his people for as long as he can? They do not have the military strength to take on Niflheim head on, so all they can do is sit behind their magic wall and see the rest of the world being invaded by Niflheim.

And regarding Luna... Uhh..
at what point does she jump out of an airship purely because of "faith"? The talk about not all miracles being magic is not about faith, at least not religious one. Seems more like a kind of "you have to take destiny in your own hands" kind of thing

addik

How was the portrayal of women in Type-0 and Dissidia? As in, if you're not someone who watches anime regularly, how are they portrayed, because holy shit I have so little hope based on this film and the interviews.

Butting in the conversation...

Type-0 was okay. Nothing as offensive as Kingsglaive, but nothing really to write home about. Rem, I thought, had the potential to be an interesting character
after she became a L'cie
, but nothing really comes out of that and she isn't even mentioned in the epilogue, lol.

Dissidia is interesting because the roster is filled with male characters, as one would expect from the game's history. Terra, the only woman in the hero side, is portrayed as magically strong but physically weak. I'm not sure if I remember it correctly, but she clings to other characters until she finds her bearings. Cosmos is also portrayed as pretty meek.

Duodecim remedies this by making Lightning the new chapter's protagonist. I also liked how Yuna, despite being portrayed as meek, handles everything on her own.

EDIT: yeah i find the portraya of woman characters a big con of the movie. I just can't believe it would be this bad. Thank God I didn't take an hour drive to watch this. I'll guess I'll wait for Itunes to sell it/have it rented in our country.

Slater

Banned

Type-0 was okay. Nothing as offensive as Kingsglaive, but nothing really to write home about. Rem, I thought, had the potential to be an interesting character
after she became a L'cie
, but nothing really comes out of that and she isn't even mentioned in the epilogue, lol.

Dissidia is interesting because the roster is filled with male characters, as one would expect from the game's history. Terra, the only woman in the hero side, is portrayed as magically strong but physically weak. I'm not sure if I remember it correctly, but she clings to other characters until she finds her bearings. Cosmos is also portrayed as pretty meek.

Duodecim remedies this by making Lightning the new chapter's protagonist. I also liked how Yuna, despite being portrayed as meek, handles everything on her own.

EDIT: yeah i find the portraya of woman characters a big con of the movie. I just can't believe it would be this bad. Thank God I didn't take an hour drive to watch this. I'll guess I'll wait for Itunes to sell it/have it rented in our country.
Small thing, but Rem was absolutely mentioned in the epilogue and secret ending

addik

Small thing, but Rem was absolutely mentioned in the epilogue and secret ending

Oh was she? I dont remember getting the secret ending. Was this the
the one where the characters lived in an alternate dimension where the war didn't happen?

By epilogue I mean
that snippet after the credits. I remember Machina being mentioned how he married someone, but I don't remember it mentioning Rem. Though I heard in the JP version she is mentioned as Machina's wife.

MegaPanda

Stuff that I still don't understand:
1) Why kill Crowe? Not like Luna was going to be there anyways.
2) How did Nyx guess something was wrong when he was told Luna disnt leave with the Niflheim peeps? What was the significance of that watch that he came back to look at?
3) The Crystal and the ring both give the king powers, the ring especially allows command of the old wall but the powers/magic themselves seem similar. As I understand the ring has the power and knowledge of past Lucii Kings the Crystal was something given by deities. How did the Lucii become that powerful anyway without being linked to the crystal?
4) What is Glauca suppose to be? It's not magic but he has that thing where he gets this armour on out of thin air and leaps like the hulk.

1) Why not I guess. She's friends with Nyx and it was a free kill
2) I'm guessing she was meant to be at the signing with Ravus as representatives of Tenebrae. Not much reason for Niflheim to drag to her Insomnia in the otherwise. The watch either was frozen to geographical coordinates by Crowe or it was set to track Luna's hairpiece. Either way it let the Glaive discover the hidden fleet.
3) Not really sure about this either. I don't think the ring actually gives any powers, but more like putting it on is a trial that allows you to use & share the crystal's magic (regardless of your distance to the crystal apparently). Maybe it'll make more sense in XV if they explain how the party can cast magic without the crystal or ring.
4) It wasn't explained

Skilletor

If Luna were an inanimate object, a ring, let's say, the movie still plays out in almost exactly the same way. She is nothing but a plot piece in the movie.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
To be fair, a lot of those questions are the like that we'll likely hear answers to in the game.
We are not supposed to know the full extent of Niflheim's plans with the crystal. This movie just sets up them having stolen it. As to why go to such great lengths to destroy the city, they seemed intent on destroying Insomnia just so that they'd stay down after being beaten, instead of leaving a city filled with people who oppose them intact. I mean, destroying your enemies so badly that they can't retaliate is kind of basic warfare.
We should find out some motivation, and at least some characterization of the villains besides them just being villains. Part of what makes GOT compelling is all of the human moments. Like, I didn't care about so many of the events of the film, including Crowe's death because she's basically a non character.

And, what, exactly, is Regis supposed to do to Niflheim except shield his people for as long as he can? They do not have the military strength to take on Niflheim head on, so all they can do is sit behind their magic wall and see the rest of the world being invaded by Niflheim.
This could've been

And regarding Luna... Uhh..
at what point does she jump out of an airship purely because of "faith"? The talk about not all miracles being magic is not about faith, at least not religious one. Seems more like a kind of "you have to take destiny in your own hands" kind of thing
[/QUOTE]
It's a really dumb scene as she literally would've died if Nyx hadn't saved her. Like, there are so many other things she could've done to get Nyx is jump out with her besides borderline attempted suicide.

after she became a L'cie

-__-

Skux

one positive thing i will say: im glad as hell that the cast of this movie are not the game characters lmao.

I wouldn't mind Nyx as a main FF character. He's brave, has a strong sense of duty, and doesn't mind a wisecrack every now and then. He comes across as far more likable than any footage of Noctis I've seen.

Famassu

If Luna were an inanimate object, a ring, let's say, the movie still plays out in almost exactly the same way. She is nothing but a plot piece in the movie.
Except Luna is the sole reason
the ring is not successfully stolen by the baddies. She's the one who forces Nyx to go back to the city instead of just taking her somewhere safe, which leads to the events that help the ring be taken out of their grasp.

Socivol

Except Luna is the sole reason
the ring is not successfully stolen by the baddies. She's the one who forces Nyx to go back to the city instead of just taking her somewhere safe, which leads to the events that help the ring be taken out of their grasp.

Which is interested because the movie makes it seem like
the ring is more important than the crystal but in the movie if someone bad puts it on they die

after her and crowe's portrayals in this movie, i have no hope for the female cast of this game.
why is she always trying to kill herself. its really not the "show of strength" that the writers think it is

I wouldn't mind Nyx as a main FF character. He's brave, has a strong sense of duty, and doesn't mind a wisecrack every now and then. He comes across as far more likable than any footage of Noctis I've seen.

noctis and co. are far from likeable, but they arent completely dry and boring as nyx.

Famassu

Which is interested because the movie makes it seem like
the ring is more important than the crystal but in the movie if someone bad puts it on they die
Well, I guess the same logic applies to that as to the crystal, when Iedolas responds to Regis
when Regis says something like "you cannot wield the crystal's power", Iedolas responds something in the veins of "neither can you", so it's just important to get that kind of great power out of Lucis' hands, even if they don't have the means to control it themselves

dramatis

Taking another look, I think people calling Luna
a damsel in distress is not fair.

From the movie alone: As a child, she sacrifices herself so Regis and Noctis can escape. She tries to leave Tenebrae before the wedding to see Regis. She makes Nyx take her back to the city to rescue Regis instead of going to safety. She risks her life to keep the ring safe.
From the game: We know she is now risking her life going around waking up the Archaeons (well...supposedly). In the Dawn video, she had no qualms about brushing off the Niflheim soldiers. In the new trailer, she's going toe-to-toe with Leviathan.

Now, I think the game will make it clearer what her role of the Oracle means and clearly the Empire does not value that power as they were quick to order her death.

I think this movie will be more enjoyable when the game comes out and we learn more of the world. Still a 9/10 for me as a FF fan though.

edit: What Yankee said.
Not fair? You call standing there while those soldiers
ran right past her without slowing down 'sacrificing herself' to help Regis and Noctis escape?

"Damsel in distress" is not a term used to describe a damsel who is distressed, but a damsel who has to be rescued from situations. Calling Luna that is fair. Because that's what happens.

People saying, "well, she's a princess, no duh she'll be like that, why you hating" are literally just making excuses for why a female character, pretty much the ONLY female character, has to be a weak object of rescue. Why couldn't SE write a princess character that isn't Luna? Why is it always the will that is strong but the character needs to be protected and assisted by everyone else with little agency of her own?

Toth, you can't begin to understand what it's like to be a female watching these female characters exist and be defended by a bunch of guys who have had the benefit of having so many very active, strong male characters to play, to watch, to respect and cheer for. And for some reason, are incredibly willing to defend this type of weak heroine because her particular traits suit themselves. "Strong will, weak physique, pretty face, needs to be protected because lacks power" is basically a female character designed and written for male players.

I recently finished watching this Chinese drama. Somewhere in the middle, the main heroine turns around to fight the soldiers chasing her, her husband and their entourage to ensure their escape; she breaks the ice over a river to prevent cavalry from traversing past her, she goes hand to hand with the foot soldiers to buy time, and eventually she is wounded and falls into ice water herself. She is left with a lame leg from that battle. When physically recovering and under captivity, she takes advantage of trust from her enemy's family and sows discord between his two wives who are backed by political factions, and thus makes the enemy government a mess of internal conflict unable to act.

This is a strong female character of will, action, and capability.

In 2016, surely even video game writers can do better than Luna.

Just saw it about an hour ago. Man, some of the VO was pretty bad. Especially Libertus. He sounded like he was trying to do an impression of what the guys voice actually sounded like. Best performance of the entire movie had to be Sean Bean's portrayal of Regis. VO aside, I enjoyed the movie as a FF fan, but I doubt someone going in without any knowledge of the tie in to XV or the series as a whole would find it good. Visually breathtaking though.

Probably going to get hate for this, but Nyx would have made an awesome protagonist for the game. Only gripe would be using someone else besides Aaron Paul. I'm sure no one is tired of Troy Baker, lol.

Mariip

I recently finished watching this Chinese drama. Somewhere in the middle, the main heroine turns around to fight the soldiers chasing her, her husband and their entourage to ensure their escape; she breaks the ice over a river to prevent cavalry from traversing past her, she goes hand to hand with the foot soldiers to buy time, and eventually she is wounded and falls into ice water herself. She is left with a lame leg from that battle. When physically recovering and under captivity, she takes advantage of trust from her enemy's family and sows discord between his two wives who are backed by political factions, and thus makes the enemy government a mess of internal conflict unable to act.

Kinda off topic but please tell me the name of this gem

I still haven't watched the movie but i'm keeping my expectations low :|

Rappy

such as?

there's gladios little sister who you seem to go on some kind of date with (lol), crowe who
dies
, dragoon lady who has a nice boob window on her outfit because... :? and has a POLE DANCE in her animations and then luna's handmaiden, who i guess we haven't seen much of yet so could maybe be good.
As people have said, she's giving Noctis a tour and now just because she jokes about it being like a date she is now awful. What does
Crowe dying imply? Regis dies, Nyx dies, Castle Guard captain dies. I would have liked them to maybe show her putting up a fight for whatever she was up against
. I guess any top that shows cleavage is a boob window these days (same with Widowmaker and the reason she has it is the same as her!). And that pole dancing is a relic of people's precious vXIII.
She's just poorly written as a character and the fact that it was stated that the film justifies not having a female character in the party and that she is a "modern woman" is straight up insulting.
I'll probably get flak for saying this...but I feel like some people are just actively looking to be offended.
Sure you could say her jumping out of the ship was dumb and I agree, way too risky. But if she sat there and waited for Nyx to attempt to stop the ship, do you think they would have made it in time to help Regis? There's also the possibility she was banking on Nyx to catch her. Also, she probably wouldn't have died considering there's a part where they're driving top speed in the car and Libertus hits the ground rolling and is fine and dandy.
Again, as I and others have said. You guys are exaggerating. She isn't written worse than any of the other male characters besides maybe Regis or Ardyn (even then, they're also pretty one-note). Sure maybe it sucks if you were having unrealistic hopes for a female role, but it isn't as if they're actively trying to write her worse because she's female.

yunbuns

Toth, you can't begin to understand what it's like to be a female watching these female characters exist and be defended by a bunch of guys who have had the benefit of having so many very active, strong male characters to play, to watch, to respect and cheer for. And for some reason, are incredibly willing to defend this type of weak heroine because her particular traits suit themselves. "Strong will, weak physique, pretty face, needs to be protected because lacks power" is basically a female character designed and written for male players.

Um what? I'm a female, I quite enjoy Luna's character and have other female friends that like her as well. I have my issues with the lack of overall female characters in XV (as well as Cindey's design) too and I think it's fine if you don't like Luna but I think it's kind of insulting to basically say that only men would like and appreciate this character. Everyone has different tastes. For instance, Stella never really appealed to me the way she did for most people. Different strokes, for different folks I guess.

Socivol

Well, I guess the same logic applies to that as to the crystal, when Iedolas responds to Regis
when Regis says something like "you cannot wield the crystal's power", Iedolas responds something in the veins of "neither can you", so it's just important to get that kind of great power out of Lucis' hands, even if they don't have the means to control it themselves

This makes a ton of sense!

Famassu

Not fair? You call standing there while those soldiers
ran right past her without slowing down 'sacrificing herself' to help Regis and Noctis escape?

"Damsel in distress" is not a term used to describe a damsel who is distressed, but a damsel who has to be rescued from situations. Calling Luna that is fair. Because that's what happens.

People saying, "well, she's a princess, no duh she'll be like that, why you hating" are literally just making excuses for why a female character, pretty much the ONLY female character, has to be a weak object of rescue. Why couldn't SE write a princess character that isn't Luna? Why is it always the will that is strong but the character needs to be protected and assisted by everyone else with little agency of her own?

Luna as in Kingsglaive isn't the perfect female character, but neither is she a whimpy, whiny princess ONLY in distress who can't do anything on her own or only relies on other characters. She does take action and has agency. As I pointed out, if she had just acted like the princess who just let's herself be taken to safety and without her making a certain decision, a certain object would certainly have fallen to enemy hands. During the fight with
Ultros, instead of just waiting for Nyx to deal with it, she takes action and tries to take control of the airship, though Nyx quite rudely takes control himself after following Luna
. She reasons with Nyx to
escape when Regis is killed instead of him staying to fight, which would certainly have doomed them both at that point
. Near the end, she also helps Nyx in battle
by throwing that gift of hers into the airship's... thruster-thingie
. She's also willing to try to use the
ring of kings herself
before Nyx stops her. You could argue she should also be more physically capable & had a more helpful role at parts, but you're also selling her role in the movie short by not giving her any credit at all.

Well that was the most depressing thing ever wasn't it.

Meh, wasn't amazing but its two hours had a better story than FFXIII could have ever hoped to. Excite for XV!!!

Skilletor

Again, as I and others have said. You guys are exaggerating. She isn't written worse than any of the other male characters besides maybe Regis or Ardyn (even then, they're also pretty one-note). Sure maybe it sucks if you were having unrealistic hopes for a female role, but it isn't as if they're actively trying to write her worse because she's female.

I never mentioned the males. I only mentioned Luna because they talked about her pre-release so much.

I don't think it's unrealistic for a character to have a character be more than a plot contrivance, male or female. But since FF has a legacy of strong female characters (something I've used as an argument as to why this game's all male cast is fine), it's especially disappointing to see Luna fail so much.

Hell, the other characters aren't even in the game. lol.

Like I said, I hope she's better in the game. This was a bad look.

y'all might hate me for this but i feel like his ass is slightly out of place? like it's too high, too far out so the slope back in is weird and they're too round, so they just kind of look like someone put bowling balls in a latex garment.

:[

model is very attractive tho!

Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV

So as for the good. Visuals looked ridiculously insane. Incredibly detailed character models that sometimes blurred the line between reality and CG.

The concept of
"borrowing" magic from the King
was cool. Voicing can be hit and miss, but the leads performed well enough. There were tons of easter eggs and FF terminology in this which was great. I could see people that don't know jack about FF being lost.

The battle scenes were awesome, and special effects used to display the raw power behind these people and their magic was really well done, thanks to both the audio and the animation work. Oh, I absolutely loved the warping by the way. So damn cool! And it came with this really impactful sound whenever it happened on screen! Made me look forward to doing it in the game aha. Lastly the last 30mins of the movie was some of the most action packed sequence of events I have seen this year. Goddamn.

Now to the bad parts. This whole movie felt like... cutscenes strung together with missing gameplay, making for weird time jumps. This was very noticeable at the start of the movie. You would see these weird fade outs or cuts to black akin to those in trailers. The editing was a bit messy at times too. The character themselves weren't really "characterized" either, and lacked any real depth. Nyx was pretty great, and a lot of visual history was given to us throughout the many scenes, but none of it was really said, and when it did, it was a one or two liner conversation with Luna.

Now Luna... I fail to see where all of her strength that Tabata kept bringing up is. Sure she does have a scene or two in which she does something, but for the most part, she is still the princess that everyone is trying to harm or protect.

So yeah overall in terms of enjoyment, as cutscenes that are played to show me some events that will be a part of the Final Fantasy XV game, I'd give it a 7/10. It had its faults and the plot was kind of thin, but it looked great and kept me glued to the screen. It made me look forward to playing the game too. If I were to be an objective movie reviewer though, with no FF knowledge or attachment to the the game that is going to come out, this would probably get a 5/10 as it did not feel like a cohesive movie experience.

Replicant

This movie kind of makes me dislike the characters in the FFXV game. What makes that kid worth all of that destruction and sacrifice? The trailers for FFXV makes it seems like he's on some fun buddy road trip, and he seems like a brat vs someone like Lady Mormont from GoT. Now that girl I could understand people sacrificing so much for. Didn't take long after her introduction to see how noble and honorable she was.

BINGO! This is my biggest problem with the film and FFXV. I just don't like Noctis based on what I've seen and played so far and Kingsglaive compounded on that problem by giving us a much superior protagonist.

y'all might hate me for this but i feel like his ass is slightly out of place? like it's too high, too far out so the slope back in is weird and they're too round, so they just kind of look like someone put bowling balls in a latex garment.

:[

model is very attractive tho!

The character design is all over the place. At one point, Nyx looks too skinny and his arms look like they are flat on the back part.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This, conference scene and confrontation scene.

I was very angry. Three awesome scenes from VersusXIII ended up in a movie with a very questionable quality.

I'm sure they put those in there as nods to fans who have been following the project for years but... it just soured and saddened me on the whole thing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The party scene... is actually really upsetting.

You mean the
night before the peace treaty signing
scene? I thought that and the
peace treaty (fake) signing
were the best scenes in the movie.

This, conference scene and confrontation scene.

I was very angry. Three awesome scenes from VersusXIII ended up in a movie with a very questionable quality.

Questionable? I thought they were good.

Yeah, maybe it's upsetting coz it's not in the game anymore and a lot of people were hurt, lol. Gotta deal with change.

jett

D-Member
Well that was the most depressing thing ever wasn't it.

Meh, wasn't amazing but its two hours had a better story than FFXIII could have ever hoped to. Excite for XV!!!

I haven't played FFXIII, but it must've been so bad it literally made you brain damaged for your second sentence to be true.

jiggle

BINGO! This is my biggest problem with the film and FFXV. I just don't like Noctis based on what I've seen and played so far and Kingsglaive compounded on that problem by giving us a much superior protagonist.
Yeah
Nyx fought his arse off
and was rewarded with certain death
Whilst everyone bent over backward to fellate the entitled prince

Replicant

You mean the

I like those scenes too. I wish they had expanded the night party scene a bit more by letting Nyx and Luna talk a bit more personal stuff.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You mean the

Yeah, maybe it's upsetting coz it's not in the game anymore and a lot of people were hurt, lol. Gotta deal with change.

I'm glad you liked them but for me... I just felt angry.

Replicant

Yeah
Nyx fought his arse off
and was rewarded with certain death
Whilst everyone bent over backward to fellate the entitled prince

The end title scene was so awful. It's a stark contrast from the melancholic film and
those assholes are complaining about being stranded in a desert?
. Someone should drop
Ultros, Ultima Weapon, and Bahamut
all on their asses.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
You mean the

How was it good? Cuz people were getting jobbered and offed and while the lead up to it was pretty great the actual execution of the scene itself was terrible.

lol...no there isn't.
Nyx mentioning his dead little sister is clue enough.

Hence I said maybe it was just me. It's how the scene came off to me more than a certain fact.

Speaking of
his dead little sister, I feel they could have done better with that whole plot point. It didn't have much impact.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm glad you liked them but for me... I just felt angry.

I'll bet you'll murder the entire theater if they showed the Noctis vs. Luna fight

and it will be executed terribly

Top Bottom