• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Cynar

Have to agree with the review Kagari posted.

I think the director's/writers unwillingess to make her even drive a damn car was painfully obvious.

Its funny because luna is indeed supposed to be much more important than all the glaives combined.

There's a stubborn unwillingess to actuallY write and portray a strong woman.Down to the smallest details,luna is severely held back by said unwillingess.

Even a character like crow could've been an interesting contrast/cooperator to Nyx instead of terrible fat Libiritus(or whatever the heck he's called)
I feel like that's a stretch. You can tell she's important and she has this belief that there's nothing that can harm her. To say that the writers were forcefully neglecting a strong woman is just your vision for what you want not meeting what the film was intended to be. I liked crow for what little of there she was but not once did I feel like she was weak.

I guess this is just a polarizing film in that regard and some look for issues that aren't there imo.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I feel like that's a stretch. You can tell she's important and she has this belief that there's nothing that can harm her. To say that the writers were forcefully neglecting a strong woman is just your vision for what you want not meeting what the film was intended to be. I liked crow for what little of there she was but not once did I feel like she was weak.

I guess this is just a polarizing film in that regard and some look for issues that aren't there imo.

No, I would definitely say this movie had an issue with the writing of the female characters, overtly so. Luna is the bridge between this movie and the game proper and her importance to the story is minimal. She gets very little actual development and doesn't do much to advance the plot. Everything basically happens with or without her.

Luna's faith in herself isn't justified.
Nyx tells her it's a bad idea to jump, she does it anyway, he has to save her. She isn't planning these things out, they just get lucky. She maybe tricked someone into putting on the ring to save herself. But I don't even know if you can take much from that since it wasn't a trick. She told him 100% of the truth after he got the ring from her. If he had been worthy by some chance, they would've been screwed.

I don't even know what there is to like about Crowe...
she has like two scenes and then gets thrown out with the trash, in service to a rushed subplot. We already can tell the Kingsglaive members are unsatisfied with their position given that so many of them turn out to be double agents. What's the purpose of having one of them independently join a group so that he can come back in during the third act and save Luna and Nyx? Crowe gets killed off unceremoniously to jumpstart that haphazard redemption arc for a character we don't really care about, which is just sloppy. The only female member of the group we get intro to is killed off camera a few minutes later. This movie has a pretty clear reluctance to deal with female characters at the same level as the males.

Resonance

I wonder why the writers didn't let Luna keep Stella's fighting ability. It looked like Stella had the same powers as Noctis, which would have allow her to summon weapons

HeelPower

She's factually important in the story,that much is doubtless.

But does she take charge and divert the direction of the story willingly ?

Does she defend herself even once from the onslaught of attacks she receives? Does she even play a major supportive role in combat/strategic situations or otherwise ?

She just goes with flow in the story.Yes she speaks withba stern voice and has a graceful demeanor but she doesnt quite get there as a strong woman.

I watched it this evening witha friend and I'm not sure why it's getting as much hate as it is. It's by no measure a great movie, but I loved it and it got us both pumped up to play the game.

Famassu

She's factually important in the story,that much is doubtless.

But does she take charge and divert the direction of the story willingly ?
Yes.

Does she defend herself even once from the onslaught of attacks she receives? Does she even play a major supportive role in combat/strategic situations or otherwise ?
And yes.

I do agree that the whole "get the hell out of my way, I'll drive/fly this thing" wasn't handled well. Just Nyx's attitude was a bit grating. Could've been more "hey, let me drive/fly, I have more experience" instead of "get out of my way, woman!"

Well, I finally watched this film.

I will be honest. It really feels like a lot of the early material is cutscenes cut from the game. The way stuff constantly weirdly fades in and out in short sections early on really gives me that feeling. It might be why the early sections of the film feel so rough and choppy with barely any evident directing.

Somewhere after the first 20 minutes or so, it feels more like entirely new content made specifically for the film and the directing style settles down. At that point it feels more like an actual movie instead of a sequence of cutscenes from the game strung end-to-end.

The dialogue is absolute hash. No one who wrote this script has any idea how people talk to each other, as almost every line is spouted as exposition to the audience as to what is going on. Despite the entire movie occurring as these sorts of awkward expositional dialogues which bear no resemblance to actual conversation, it still manages to completely not tell you who anybody is besides Nyx, Luna, and Regis. To be fair, those characters and the Emperor and Chancellor of Niflheim are pretty much the only characters who matter in terms of the game FFXV, so we don't actually need to know and care who anybody else is. The entire Kingsglaive themselves are irrelevant throwaways, including poor Nyx himself. Unfortunately knowing who Chancellor dude is will apparently spoil his appearance later on in FFXV where Noctis and Co. have no idea who he is but we now do.

The final action set piece seems to be a combination of some good old fashioned kaiju smash and bash intermixed with an evolved version of the fight seen at the end of FFVII Advent Children. However the animation has improved significantly since then, as Nyx and villain whose name I don't even know actually seemed to have momentum, weight, and force behind their actions and gravity actually seemed to pull them downwards, something missing from Advent Children's final battle. Also Insomnia gets smashed pretty good, I wonder how this is even explained in FFXV when Noctis and Co. get back to Insomnia and see half the city in ruins.

The biggest issue I have with the directing later on is the complete and utter lack of directional cohesiveness that is easily mandated by filming live action on a set. I would say almost all the big action sequences in the end are made with absolutely no regard for the principles of maintaining audience understanding of up and down. Camera angles are arbitrary since it's 3D CG and it's almost impossible to tell which direction you are looking relative to the action, resulting in characters more or less moving in any arbitrary direction which may or may not have any relation to gravity.

I'm only going to comment briefly on the obviousness of having an openly pseudo-modern setting combined with traditional trappings of Final Fantasy like giant summons and monsters. It just doesn't make any sense why there's this airship fleet and someone put a Marlboro inside one of the airships while in flight. The fantasy origins of FF clash horribly with the pseudo-modern Earth-like setting of the world. Magic is handled reasonably appropriately when it's the magic of the Crystal in this film, but in the game we'll be seeing throwing Pokeballs and that is also dumb. I predict we'll also be seeing some of this really uncomfortable clash of fantasy and technology in the FFVII Remake.

I'm not going to lie, it starts off very shakily, and the dialogue never actually gets past being shaky, but at some point the film hits a nice stride and powers through to the end with some very nice action and huge set pieces. Most of the film when people aren't fighting feels like an extended cutscene that was cut from FFXV proper but the parts with people fighting are pretty good.

I'm getting this movie on Blu-ray with my stupidly expensive $270 version of FFXV which I regret buying already. I'm okay with this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm getting this movie on Blu-ray with my stupidly expensive $270 version of FFXV which I regret buying already. I'm okay with this.

You and me both. I feel like such a mark. But then... you don't see me rushing to cancel it :p

You and me both. I feel like such a mark. But then... you don't see me rushing to cancel it :p

No, I don't plan on canceling it either. Oh well.

Oh, also I feel like lip sync was taken as more a suggestion than an imperative in this film. Did anyone else notice that lips rarely synced up with dialogue?

She's important, an important tool for every other men in the movie. Regis uses here as a ace is his sleeve, Glauca as a diversion, and his brother and the empire as the bait to let Regis open the doors of his impenetrable city. She even sees herself as a mere tool for destiny. Her will is the same as this inmaterial and mystical force, her dream, be a tool for Noctis.

She barely displays human emotions throught the movie. Seems like the concept of strong woman for the writers and Nozue is that she looks defiant to enemies, she faces her dumbass brother, but ultimately she's powerless, she pierces glauca with defiant eyes, but she's powerless against he, she faces a miracle jump with suicide bravery but she needs to be saved by Nyx. She is constant danger and need of saving, but she dosn't cries or asks for help, so stronk.

And Crowne is basically the definition of woman in the fridge.

Jinroh

Honestly the more I think about it the more I realize I don't like this movie very much and the more if ruins my excitement for the game.

There are so many things wrong... Luna's character, her brother, the absurd captain/commander
leading the military of both sides
, the editing, the pacing... I honestly don't even understand what the point of having Luna in the movie is. Why would the empire want to wed her with Noctis? Why would they care about that? Why are people who don't agree with the King's decisions turning to the empire?

And what's so bad about this empire anyway? Okay they are a strong military force, but we don't know anything about them, we only know that they are a strong and clever invading force.

The movie felt way too long (especially at the end), and at the same time it feels like important parts of the lore are missing to really understand what the whole mess is about. This movie badly needs a director's cut made by someone more experienced.

BocoDragon

This movie badly needs a director's cut made by someone more experienced.

I'm sure they'll be willing to sell you Kingsglaive COMPLETE in UHD Blu-ray with a demo for FFXVI for $79.99 in three years.

Falk

that puzzling face
Is it possible to even have a director's cut for animation though?

I figured unlike live action film where there's a lot of unused reel, animation would be WYSIWYG mostly since you don't want to tie up your render farm making stuff that ultimately doesn't get used.

im well aware what happened to versus cgi lol

BocoDragon

Is it possible to even have a director's cut for animation though?

I figured unlike live action film where there's a lot of unused reel, animation would be WYSIWYG mostly since you don't want to tie up your render farm making stuff that ultimately doesn't get used.

im well aware what happened to versus cgi lol

Even though animation is pre-storyboarded and editing figured out before rendering doesn't mean that there isn't a creative eye that could get more mileage out of re-editing it after the footage has come together. Actually, this film in particular could really use it.

I don't think it's all that different from shooting a live action film. People do shoot with editing in mind, just as in animation... but the reality is that when you have the footage all done in front of you, it might have a different "feel" that no pre-production would figure out. Films of any medium can be greatly improved by post-production editing artistry. Movies are "made" in the editing room.

Now having said that... I'm sure any Square Enix director's cut would actually be more footage rendered and cut in, in order to sell the movie again as a double dip. But the integrity of the term "director's cut" sailed away decades ago in Hollywood, where it's often been an excuse to just add footage and sell the movie again.

HeelPower

I wonder how they'll explain Luna singlehandedly fighting Leviathan in the game.

She was nearly helpless innthe movie ,but now she can solo one of the stongest summons in existence ? 😂😂😂

jett

D-Member
Have you people forgotten that Advent Children got a "director's/extended cut"? :p

There's no saving this movie anyway.

I wonder how they'll explain Luna singlehandedly fighting Leviathan in the game.

She was nearly helpless innthe movie ,but now she can solo one of the stongest summons in existence ? 😂😂😂

I could be wrong but everytime I see that scene with Luna and Leviathan I think she is actually in control of Leviathan and thus does not need to fight them.

Bulby

I actually really liked this. And Ive hated everything Ive seen of 15 so far, looks fucking dumb. I also thought Advert Children was utter fucking trash

Esiquio

Haven't played much FF in many years, but stumbled upon this Kingsgalive thing tonight, thinking it was like a prequel-demo thing to the new FF I've heard is coming out eventually. Found a local theater that is playing it tomorrow only for $6, so I'm gonna go check it out.

Found the 12 minute preview on YouTube to be beautiful, confusing, and very poorly edited. Also, blurry/artifact-heavy. Hoping the movie projection is a million times more clear to appreciate the hard work that goes into Square's CGI.

Never saw Spirits Within, and thought that Advent Children was confusing (never played FF7, I know, I know!) and not interesting.

-Horizon-

Hmm, so the deluxe blu ray of this has the anime included as well?
I just feel like I need to ask to be sure.

I mean if it has the anime too I might as well cancel my deluxe edition of the game and get the movie and standard game separately.

Meowster

Basically in good company

They all suck
Advent Children sucked as a movie but I enjoyed the nostalgia. I actually really like The Spirits Within, I don't think it is anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. It sounds like this is more closer to AC though. Debating on seeing it now or waiting for my Blu-Ray to come in with the game.

Whompa02

I have a feeling Luna will actually do more than just jump out of airships and say "no" in the game :p

They really didn't give her much time to develop. The only issue I had with the movie was the pacing. It cranked up to 11 and never stopped to give us a sense of who these people are.

Bennettt2

Haven't played much FF in many years, but stumbled upon this Kingsgalive thing tonight, thinking it was like a prequel-demo thing to the new FF I've heard is coming out eventually. Found a local theater that is playing it tomorrow only for $6, so I'm gonna go check it out.

Found the 12 minute preview on YouTube to be beautiful, confusing, and very poorly edited. Also, blurry/artifact-heavy. Hoping the movie projection is a million times more clear to appreciate the hard work that goes into Square's CGI.

Never saw Spirits Within, and thought that Advent Children was confusing (never played FF7, I know, I know!) and not interesting.

hope you enjoy it. i think what helped me enjoy it more was that i knew a lot about the game's story and characters and scenarios going into the movie, so maybe it might help to read up on it a bit. otherwise, be prepared for lots of characters and quick cuts.

How does this compare to Spirits Within and Advent Children?

That's a can of worms. Depends on who you ask really. Like everything related to FF15.

Consensus seems to be that the Spirits Within, regardless of what some think of it's plot and writing, is better directed. That FF7 Advent Children handles its fan service a little bit better (though that depends on how much you like FF7). And if you treat Kingsglaive like one giant cutscene instead of a feature length film, it's flawed but still good dumb fun, especially the last 20 minutes.

We could nit pick all 3 movies until the cows come home.

Why do I have a feeling that Kingsglaive was Final Fantasy XIII versus?

The day before the peace contract felt like an old cutcene from Versus XIII I already saw.

Arkeband

Banned
That's a can of worms. Depends on who you ask really. Like everything related to FF15.

Consensus seems to be that the Spirits Within, regardless of what some think of it's plot and writing, is better directed. That FF7 Advent Children handles its fan service a little bit better (though that depends on how much you like FF7). And if you treat Kingsglaive like one giant cutscene instead of a feature length film, it's flawed but still good dumb fun, especially the last 20 minutes.

We could nit pick all 3 movies until the cows come home.

Advent Children's strength being in its fanservice is a weird comparison to make considering we haven't even played FF15 to have nostalgia yet. We exist in some bizarre optimistic forward-leaning marketing hype zone, where they're trying to cultivate love for characters we technically haven't met yet.

Z3M0G

How does it compare to this?

p9218435_p_v8_aa.jpg

Whompa02

Why do I have a feeling that Kingsglaive was Final Fantasy XIII versus?

The day before the peace contract felt like an old cutcene from Versus XIII I already saw.

Tons of scenes from Versus were completely repurposed into the movie. Characters changed, locations were modified, but key scenes were lifted from Versus.

Bladenic

How does it compare to this?

I dunno but Cassandra > the entire FF15 cast

Also biggest waste 15 dollars, never again. Especially since I have the deluxe version of the game pre-ordered (though now I'm strongly considering dropping down to regular or season pass version).

Eccocid

I'm only going to comment briefly on the obviousness of having an openly pseudo-modern setting combined with traditional trappings of Final Fantasy like giant summons and monsters. It just doesn't make any sense why there's this airship fleet and someone put a Marlboro inside one of the airships while in flight. The fantasy origins of FF clash horribly with the pseudo-modern Earth-like setting of the world. Magic is handled reasonably appropriately when it's the magic of the Crystal in this film, but in the game we'll be seeing throwing Pokeballs and that is also dumb. I predict we'll also be seeing some of this really uncomfortable clash of fantasy and technology in the FFVII Remake.

This has been bugging me too... Enemy has a fleet right outside of the city and no radar technology to detect it? They have cell phones and gprs tracking devices but can't see few miles out of the city especially when it is in war? Why there was a giant monster in a high tech airship? That battle and scene was so weird, unfitting and needless...

Z3M0G

Is this still Fabula Nova Crystallis ?

According to Wikipedia, Yes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabula_Nova_Crystallis_Final_Fantasy

Upcoming titles

Final Fantasy XV (originally known as Final Fantasy Versus XIII), the fifteenth core Final Fantasy title and the third main title in the subseries, was announced in the same year as XIII and Type-0, and will release worldwide on November 29, 2016.[24][25] The game is an action role-playing game with a battle system similar to those from the Kingdom Hearts series and Type-0. The game uses open world exploration using both a vehicle and chocobos, along with a camping mechanic linked to gaining experience levels.[26][27] Its development cycle, beginning in 2006, lasted ten years.[28]

Final Fantasy Type-0 Online, a replacement for Agito, is being developed for Android, iOS and Microsoft Windows. It is currently set for release in 2016. The gameplay features cooperative multiplayer similar to the original multiplayer elements of Type-0, along with hack-and-slash gameplay.[29][30]

Are there signs of it in the movie?

Kazuhira

The movie succeeded in my case because i want to know how the story continues now.
I didn't have a clue about what was going on storywise or the motives behind the characters so i've felt really disconnected and my interest for the game was almost non existent,but now i need to know if all the sacrifices they've made in this movie will pay off.
I guess i'm gonna watch Brotherhood because i feel a little more invested with the plot now.

2 questions

I hear talk of an after credits scene. I didn't watch past the credits, what was it?

And

What was the name of the guy that Glauca actually was again? Also, has he been in anything game-related?

Arkeband

Banned
2 questions

I hear talk of an after credits scene. I didn't watch past the credits, what was it?

And

What was the name of the guy that Glauca actually was again? Also, has he been in anything game-related?

1) In-game footage of Noctis and co in the car and they're talking bullshit and suddenly their car sputters out and they're like "aw man", leading to the opening scene of FFXV

2) Titus Drautos, and he was mentioned in some infographic about Nippleheim's army but pretty sure Nyx killed him ded.

Had the chance to watch it the other day and I was pretty impressed. I thought it was a pretty good movie considering it was just a prequel to a video game.

2 questions
]

It's a short scene where Noctis & friends are driving in their car talking about the upcoming marriage. Nothing to get excited about.

OrionX

FNC been removed, for the better. That whole universe is a mess, cool idea wasted across the board.

So no Etro, I guess? I was never sure about this, since they kept the painting and put in Kingsglaive. That was supposed to be Etro originally, wasn't it? There are obviously still gods, since Luna is supposed to be some sort of Oracle. Or are the summons the gods now? I'm confused, somebody halp.

Advent Children's strength being in its fanservice is a weird comparison to make considering we haven't even played FF15 to have nostalgia yet. We exist in some bizarre optimistic forward-leaning marketing hype zone, where they're trying to cultivate love for characters we technically haven't met yet.

It's not that much of a stretch. Kingsglaive has fanservice,
Ultros
and
Diamond Weapon
that some criticize as being shoe horned in.

Edit -

FNC been removed, for the better. That whole universe is a mess, cool idea wasted across the board.

It has and it hasn't. We still have
divine beings contracting with mortals to bestow upon them great power. There is very much a comparison to be made with the Old Luci Kings and Fal'cie.

Listonosh

Finally watched it, and I think I liked it more than most it seems. At least as far as promo material for a game goes.

There's one thing I didn't understand and I don't think the movie explained very well. Why does Regis send Noctis away? That whole part in the beginning seems so confusing. He's giving Niflheim all of the outside land and he has to wed Noctis to Luna. Why? She wasn't part of Niflheim, only captured by them. It would have made more sense if Noctis had to wed someone directly tied to Niflheim, right?

But ok, so Regis agrees, and then sends Noctis to a random town...? To meet her? To get away from her? Is she supposed to be in Lucis? If part of the peace treaty is the marriage, why didn't evil Niflheim dude ask to see Noctis? I just don't understand the point of the road trip. They obviously know they're going to a wedding, but I feel not having that setup in the movie kind of makes that whole thing confusing, especially since we know where the game begins...

My brain is melting

Philippo

Finally got to see it yesterday!
Did a Brotherhood + Kingsglaive + Live@Abbey Road FFXV marathon, it was epic.

Movie was so-so, nothing special and only a handful of memorable scenes, the party and the treaty signing.

Still, made me more excited for the game, and i was already 11/10 hyped.

-It really should have been the playable opening of the game. I know they probably cut it for budget/developement reason, but it's probably the biggest wasted opportunity for this game

-What i really disliked about how the movie treated Luna is how it never acknowledged her role as Oracle, which should be as important as Noctis', instead everyone just treat her as the "Princess of Tenebrae" and that's it.

-I really don't see why people called Ravus stupid, it's clear his grudge wasn't against
his mother's murderer, but instead at Regis/Lucis inactions
. And i really feel like he's going to be a power hungry
after seeing the supernatural beings of the Lucii
, "i won't let anyone else use me as a pawn" character, which is a trope i like.

-Flashback Regis was so good design-wise, should have kept him that way.

-I hope creatures like
Cerberus, Ultros and Diamond Weapon
are in the game, i want to fight them by myself

-The game now has to match those crazy end movie fights

-No mention of Plague of the Stars, Archeans or whatever, smh

-Hope Galahd/Solheim is still in the game

-
Glauca being Drautos
plot twist is so stupid.
No way one character can be the leader of one kingdom's black ops AND the general of another one's army
. Like, really Regis, wake the fuck up. Also, should have gone with the E3 2013 trailer and
kept him into the game, this way Noctis could have faced his father's murderer

-But i guess its logical to assume
there are multiple people using Glauca's name/appearance, since no way Drautos was him 12 fucking years ago
. Hope this means it's still in the game, would make for an amazing 1v1 boss battle

-Nyx really looks like CHAPTER 0 SPOILER
Ifrit in the game, same sitting pose and same way to hold the flames in the hand
, if its real its going to be curious to see how it's handled

-I still can't decide who's going to be the game's main villain, if Ardyn (scheming politician), Ravus (power hungry character) or
the Kings of Lucis
(supernatural being), they all have potential, that's for sure.

Munti

Just saw the movie (with the german dub. The dub was done very well!).
When I read some impressions here I was a bit worried. But holy cow, the movie suprised me in a positive way!

For me it plays in a completely different league than SW and AC.
The story and pacing was very enjoyable. And the CG looks ridiculously good.
And besides the first battle I hadn't any problems to follow the camera.
For me it could totally compete with other hollywood productions.
At least, besides the Batman-Nolan-Trilogy, I enjoyed it more then all superhero-movies I saw (which I honestly didn't see many)

ZSeba

Just saw the movie:

Crowe was refrigerated to start the conflictt, great.
Luna is useless and needs to be saved all the time
King Regis doesn't know WTF he's doing
Cool action scenes, specially the beggining and ending
The standoff moment with Regis and the emperor looked better in Versus XIII trailers (because Regis looked better back the too)

4/10

Still wanting to play the game but it did not give me any confidence in the story being anything great. Brotherhood is much better imo.

Just saw it. Going against what some have said here.

Kingsglaive was a surprisingly good film. Will write a bit more later but the only major disappointment was Luna.

JayBabay

Just saw the film, I thought it was good overall for what it is meant to be. As a fan I'm able to enjoy and get as much lore as possible in. If I wasn't a fan I certainly would not have enjoyed it as much.

Top Bottom