• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

Refugio

Hero of Legend said:
Any word on the composers yet?

Music & Sound Effects:
Tomoya Tomita

Sound:
Tadashi Ikegami
Jun Ishikawa
Hirokazu Ando

Same guy behind Wario Land Shake music and the HAL sound team helped too I guess

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hey, I just watched a very decent Epic Yarn TV commercial! (the augmented reality one)

:(

(this while trying to make myself forget the game is sitting on my desk, while my wii is 10K km away)

Started playing this today. Awesome music, good controls, great art (so cute!).

But there's really no challenge at all to the game, collectathons are not my thing and you can't die? This is not my idea of fun and I'm glad that I just rented it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Awesome, a screenshot function.

... oh, it only exports to the Wii Message Board. Awesome system architecture, Nintendo. Bonus points for the positively stupid "Be careful not to send too many photos" error message. Be careful? Or what? Will my system brick? How many is too many? Why not just tell me how many photos I can send and tell me how many photos I have sent? Or just let me save the photos to my SD card?

One step forward, two steps back.

I can't help but thinking this game has epic gif potential. We really need one for the Waddle Dee walking two steps then tripping and falling on its face for a fail.gif.

Hylian7

Freezie KO said:
I can't help but thinking this game has epic gif potential. We really need one for the Waddle Dee walking two steps then tripping and falling on its face for a fail.gif.
All the Waddle Dee animations are fantastic in this game. We also need a screenshot of the two sleeping Waddle Dees sitting in front of the tree with the heart made of beads on it.

Blizzard

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Awesome, a screenshot function.

... oh, it only exports to the Wii Message Board. Awesome system architecture, Nintendo. Bonus points for the positively stupid "Be careful not to send too many photos" error message. Be careful? Or what? Will my system brick? How many is too many? Why not just tell me how many photos I can send and tell me how many photos I have sent? Or just let me save the photos to my SD card?

One step forward, two steps back.
Remember that time when Super Smash Brothers Brawl let you take screenshots, though it used questionable-quality JPEG compression? And you could save them to your SD card, and transfer them to your computer...

...whereupon you would discover that they had like, 128-bit AES encryption and some weird additional compression once they were decrypted, and it required having at least one key that people had to literally hack the internals of the Wii to get? Yeah, that was great too, Nintendo. :lol

Wow, I'm really loving this so far. Put about an hour into it and I can't wait to get back. *I better spoiler tag this for the sensitive* After the
tank mission at the end of the first stage
I was hooked. Really awesome, my Wii GOTY (I haven't played SMG2 though so don't throw things at me, I'll get on it).

This game really is devoid of any challenge so far. I just finished world 3, and by finished I mean I got EVERYTHING in the first 3 worlds....all gold medals, all treasures, all secret stages.....on my first try without haing to redo stages. It's that easy. It's actually by far the easiest Kirby game so far......even if there were lives, I wouldn't have lost any ;)

That being said, it's absolutely delightful and I have a huge grin the entire time I'm playing, so don't let me dissuade you from trying it. It's gorgeous and the music is charming as hell, and strangely CharlieBrownesque at times......one of the songs also reminds me of the overworld song in Conker's Bad Fur Day :lol

Adam J.

I just beat Beach Land. It's an absolute delight, but I cant help but think that this game could have been legendary if it wasn't so damn easy (at least a Mario Bros. 3 level of difficulty would have been great). I'm not complaining. I know it's supposed to be a relaxing, breezy experience.

cnet128

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
Any word on the composers yet?
This is covered in-depth in the Iwata Asks. (I'm guessing it isn't available in English yet? I don't keep up with these things >_<)

Basically, Tomita Tomoya (of Good Feel) was in charge of the music for the vast majority of development. Then in the later stages of development, it was decided that it was important to include some existing Kirby music, but Tomita was on a tight schedule and didn't really have time to arrange the Kirby music himself, so Ishikawa, Ikegami and Ando from the HAL team were brought in and told "make musics for this game within a month".

Apparently the HAL team were really impressed by how well the music Tomita had already created fit with the unique style of the game, and found it challenging to create the same kind of atmosphere in their own music, but they put in lots of effort to make it work. And ultimately, in the finished game, Tomita's music was used for the early and mid-game stages, whilst the HAL team's music was used for the later stages.

sfried

Freezie KO said:
Playing into world 2 right now. Having fun. Though I really feel like a moron when I get hit, as if Kirby is going to pop out of the console and just say, "lern 2 vidjagame."
You're not the only one. I almost instantly restart a level any time I get hit. I want those medals, dammit!

Myriadis

schennmu said:
But there's really no challenge at all to the game, collectathons are not my thing and you can't die? This is not my idea of fun and I'm glad that I just rented it.

It's a kirby game.What did you except?

KevinCow

Banned
sfried said:
You're not the only one. I almost instantly restart a level any time I get hit. I want those medals, dammit!

Even worse is falling in a pit. Watching all those beads fall down the pit as you're carried back to safety is almost more painful than losing a life and restarting the level. :(

Also if Prince Fluff isn't in the next Smash Bros. just to represent this game and its awesome yarn powers, there is no justice in the world.

atomsk

Party Pooper
got 100% in 15-ish hours
nothing happens

still missing gold medals on 10 stages though, does anything happen if you gold them all?

atomsk

Party Pooper
if the game lets you play co-op in the 100+ challenge stages I don't see why not

but I don't know if it lets you do co-op there (and some of them get really f'n hard)

This game is amazing, I couldn't stop playing it, now i have to go back and get 100%, the music is just incredible, the lack of difficulty and the inability to die is real its only weak point and i got over that after the first couple of levels.

Sagitario

Blizzard said:
Remember that time when Super Smash Brothers Brawl let you take screenshots, though it used questionable-quality JPEG compression? And you could save them to your SD card, and transfer them to your computer...

...whereupon you would discover that they had like, 128-bit AES encryption and some weird additional compression once they were decrypted, and it required having at least one key that people had to literally hack the internals of the Wii to get? Yeah, that was great too, Nintendo. :lol

WTF? :lol

cnet128 said:
This is covered in-depth in the Iwata Asks. (I'm guessing it isn't available in English yet? I don't keep up with these things >_<)

Basically, Tomita Tomoya (of Good Feel) was in charge of the music for the vast majority of development. Then in the later stages of development, it was decided that it was important to include some existing Kirby music, but Tomita was on a tight schedule and didn't really have time to arrange the Kirby music himself, so Ishikawa, Ikegami and Ando from the HAL team were brought in and told "make musics for this game within a month".

Apparently the HAL team were really impressed by how well the music Tomita had already created fit with the unique style of the game, and found it challenging to create the same kind of atmosphere in their own music, but they put in lots of effort to make it work. And ultimately, in the finished game, Tomita's music was used for the early and mid-game stages, whilst the HAL team's music was used for the later stages.

Interesting. Can't wait to hear the song while playing.

Blizzard

Banned
Sagitario said:
WTF? :lol
Yeah, I think I had most of the details right, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Fortunately one of the people modding the Wii at the time gave me the key, and with some smashboards (I think?) people we figured out the rest of the decryption and made a couple of utilities to decode the screenshots so people could actually like, advertise Nintendo's game for them. :lol

Dammit I wish someone hated it enough to sell it to me for $35 with the Club Nintendo code unused :D

Yall are making it sound so amazing! I need to buy all the other Kirby games I don't own. :/

You think Tilt 'n Tumble will make it to the 3DS Virtual Console? :eek:

Penguin

Just under 6 hours and 60% of stuff collected, beat the game, I will go back and play all the secondary missions.

It was a hell of a game, so great. Awesome music, awesome stages and so damn adorable.

Vyer

I was probably going to wait on this, but watching Giant Bomb's quick look for it was fucking awesome. :lol

So I just hit the first stage that was mildly challenging to get a gold on......an auto scrolling stage in world 4 that you had to find just the right way through to get enough beads for the gold. I still got it on my third try, but it's a start! :D On to world 5! World 5 missed naming opportunity
shoulda been called Snowman's Land

Oli

MidnightScott said:
Dammit I wish someone hated it enough to sell it to me for $35 with the Club Nintendo code unused :D

Yall are making it sound so amazing! I need to buy all the other Kirby games I don't own. :/

You think Tilt 'n Tumble will make it to the 3DS Virtual Console? :eek:

Does the 3DS have a gyro sensor in it? I can't remember if they confirmed that.

hatchx

Banned
I'm about 4 chapters in. Really liking it. It's very easy, but still manages to be really exciting to play. The visuals and the music are great. Fun to play with friends.

So far I'd put it up there with the top games on wii.

practice02 said:
Kirby's Epic Yarn>New Super Mario Bros. Wii
I think it you brought kirby's music + graphics to NSMB Wii.. it might make the best game ever. Let's be honest, NSMB's gameplay mechanics are better but Kirby looks and sounds amazing.

DevelopmentArrested said:
I think it you brought kirby's music + graphics to NSMB Wii.. it might make the best game ever. Let's be honest, NSMB's gameplay mechanics are better but Kirby looks and sounds amazing.
As a multiplayer game NSMBW sucks and without that it's just a 2d mario rehash.

goldenenergy said:
Are you implying Kirby's Epic Yarn is somehow not a 2D Kirby rehash?
I would say that the whip mechanic and the transformation change the game and that the levels were designed in way to not make multiplayer a handicap (read as clusterfuck). They have completely taken out a Kirby staple of absorbing powers. what I'm trying to say is what HAL did with Kirby in this game seems to have more thought then what Nintendo put into NSMBW.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
As pretty as Kirby is, I couldn't even compare the two games. New Mario Bros. Wii has great, challenging platforming gameplay, Kirby is kind of brain dead but charming.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
practice02 said:
I would say that the whip mechanic and the transformation change the game and that the levels were designed in way to not make multiplayer a handicap (read as clusterfuck). They have completely taken out a Kirby staple of absorbing powers. what I'm trying to say is what HAL did with Kirby in this game seems to have more thought then what Nintendo put into NSMBW.

Man, the clusterfuck of multiple characters in NSMBW is what makes it a great multiplayer game.

Nabs

practice02 said:
get out of here. i had a ton of fun with multi, and single player is one of my favorite 2d mario games. kirby is nice, but it can not compare to mario.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm so confused.

Beat the game, have 100% on everything but fabrics where I'm at 97% (missing 5 from Motif 2). I can't find anything else to do though.

Here's my count for number of apartment games I've unlocked and beaten:
Zeke: 18
Beadrix: 20
Carrie: 12
Buster: 20
Mara: 30

I'm really puzzled.

practice02 said:

no you and your friends suck :\

Seriously though I loved NSMBWii multiplayer. Insanely fun when you get the coordination down.

Top Bottom