• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wow, does sound cumbersome. How about farming for gems using the ios app? I guess that won't give you diamonds, and I've found it gives me a ton of duplicate gadget items which then can't be received in the game (wonder if they'd be there on a new game as I wouldn't then have those items?)

It kind of puts me off going back for trophies

Elvick

Banned
Wow, does sound cumbersome. How about farming for gems using the ios app? I guess that won't give you diamonds, and I've found it gives me a ton of duplicate gadget items which then can't be received in the game (wonder if they'd be there on a new game as I wouldn't then have those items?)

It kind of puts me off going back for trophies
Like you said you can't get diamonds, and I don't think you can get emeralds either. Not sure about that, but I never got any for it.

And you can use the gadgets of the app in a new game. I don't know if they'll register to the game if you have a safe file loaded that currently has those gadgets or not though.

I'm approaching the end (C.12) and I'm still having a blast. I only realised half way through that you can pick parts in the chests from other people on your friends list meaning you're given the option to hand pick parts. Which makes it easier to collect and build stuff. So it helps the more Knack friends you have the better. I like that touch. The app also helps especially for the gems. Though it's a bit of a grind fest in itself. But again, I love the idea of being able to link to two.

I've been playing this exclusively over the internet with Remote Play (don't own a PS4 yet, hogging my friends PS4 in the meanwhile) and I gotta say. I don't get the reviews.

Sure the game isn't amazing, nor would I buy it for full price, but I consider it to be on par with some of the Ratchet games for example. But what I don't really get is how it seems that reviewers didn't even play it. I remember reading stuff like "All the secrets are plainly obvious" or "There's no variety" when those are just flat out lies. Not to mention that it looks amazing (art aside). Been playing on hard, and yes some secrets are obvious, but others I stumbled upon by accident cause I'd never notice them otherwise, and I'm sure I missed others. Enemy variety is insane, it seems you don't go more then 5 minutes without meeting new enemies or even the same enemies doing something different. Combat is simple, but still challenging and fun on hard.

Game's about an 8 for me and I haven't even finished it yet.

Kaswa101

At chapter 4 now, playing on Hard in co-op with my bro. Enjoying it a lot so far.

Looking for some new Knack friends to share parts with (or however it works), so add me if you're interested. PSN ID is Kaswa101.

Yeah I don't get the review scores either. It certainly isn't amazing. But its a solid, good game. I'd pin it about 7/10 if I was going to mark it. It doesn't do anything particularly well, it doesn't innovate, it doesn't blow you away. However it's still well put together, it's all enjoyable enough, it's challenging, it's colourful and fun and at times the graphics do wow you. Especially some of the outdoor environments and the rock textures are amazing. Indoors is a bit samey and dull though. Gameplay wise it is a little samey and can be repetitive... but the key here is it doesn't drag or feel overly repetitive to the point you just don't want to keep playing. Knacks moves are limited though but again, what he has, does the job fine and battles are tricky at times meaning you have to learn the enemies well. But more variety wouldn't have gone a miss. I think overall it's certainly above average and yeah, I'd agree, I'd compare it on a level to something like Ratchet, enjoyability wise.

I think the game had a lot more potential though. Making it a bit more open like the Ratchets were and having more stuff to collect or explore would have suited the title better. There was one area at the start of a chapter later on (the anti air guns level) where you had a nice little area to explore and it looked really nice too. I wish the game was more like that.

Knack as a character/concept is cool and works well. Growing as you collect artifact pieces and getting bigger/stronger is fun to see as you go throughout the levels. The different materials he picks up on some levels is nice to see, though they don't really change much up sadly. The art style sometimes leaves a bit to be desired but I got on with it and grew to like it. It's all harmless fun and while the story/characters are a little generic, it's still all likeable stuff. There's a couple of times during cutscenes where you see some ugly/low res textures at work but overall it's a very nice looking game.

Milennia

Ok i just finished the game on hard for my first playthrough after playing about 11 hours straight.

The combat imo was great and it felt great to overcome annoying enemies due to learning their patterns.
Other than the final fight (which was absolute garbage imo but if i say that i also have to say the first boss was as well) i emjoyed myself thoroughly all the way through.

The voice acting was good imo other than knack.. Didnt really enjoy that lumbering , forced voice.. Just didnt feel right imo, i would much rather knack not speak at all, at least then he would seem like a gentle giant or tiny quiet cute guy lol.
Just my preference.

The story was really meh for me.. (Although i did like the ending lol)

Overall i liked it more than i though i would. This is a game i wanted to give a shot simply so o could see it for myself due to the mixed impressions.
Its also a game i would play simply for combat, and it delivered hard imo.
At least on the higher difficulties like hard and very hard.

The game also looked gorgeous graphically imo.. Was slightly blown away.
The pixar look was near perfect (other than some obvious visual bugs with knack etc. saw a piece of the environment that wasnt even placed properly and still jad the white marker under it)

On the more technical side, i experienced some odd bugs etc. such as knack having to run up against a wall for maybe 4 seconds before he starts to climb it.. Lots of clipping and A CRAP LOAD of slow down... Seriously, like every other scene transition, or section where knack is big or even when knack just dies i was getting immense slow down, maybe 5 fps during these sections and moments.

The overall character design of knack is great.
I love the different styles of him and the way he grows and shrink each level and section.. Just works imo and really feels like sony could do more with him.

I give the story a 2
The art style and graphics a 4 because i was surprisingly blown away and the environments reminded me strangely of my WoW days o.0

The voice acting a 3
The combat a 4

Overall including the technical setbacks and errors i give the game a 3/5.

Elvick

Banned
Don't know why people wanted Knack's voice to be something else.

I think it fits. Little Knack is silent, which works. Big Knack has a hard design, it wouldn't fit to give him some goofy voice or 'cartoony' voice. It would just feel like all those mascot games of old that forced typical "me too" voices on every character just 'because'. Like you can't have a mascot without a generic cartoony voice.

PaulloDEC

I think it fits. Little Knack is silent, which works. Big Knack has a hard design, it wouldn't fit to give him some goofy voice or 'cartoony' voice. It would just feel like all those mascot games of old that forced typical "me too" voices on every character just 'because'. Like you can't have a mascot without a generic cartoony voice.

I was kinda shocked how negatively people were reacting to Knack's voice. There seemed to be a backlash against how tough he sounded once he'd gotten bigger, but what's the alternative? A huge, hulking golem who sounds like Rayman? Or worse, like Sonic?

I love Knack's tough-guy persona.

Milennia

His voice is blatently forced and just sounds fake as shit is what my problem was with it.

And little knack talks during a scene in the game.

His voice reminds me of chris metzen...

I prefer knack had no voice at all, just seems to fit the character.

Not like the lines he had were anything major anyway.

Milennia

Sorry, but what does any of this even mean? Blatantly forced? Forced in what way? Fake as shit? In what sense is it fake? Is it not a real voice?

It means it doesn't fit the character.

All of these are opinions.

No matter what the outcome of a discussion on a voice will be, it will always come out to an opinion, so questioning such does nothing in the long run.

Blatantly forced means what it reads... Sounds forced.

Opinion.

Fake meaning the same thing. Its the same thing as repeating for emphasis, except using a different terminology, but in this case its an opinion, so who cares.

Hence my wording.

PaulloDEC

It means it doesn't fit the character.

All of these are opinions.

No matter what the outcome of a discussion on a voice will be, it will always come out to an opinion, so questioning such does nothing in the long run.

Blatantly forced means what it reads... Sounds forced.

Opinion.

Fake meaning the same thing. Its the same thing as repeating for emphasis, except using a different terminology, but in this case its an opinion, so who cares.

Hence my wording.

Thanks man, I'm familiar with the concept of opinions.

Knack actually chats with other characters quite a lot throughout the game, which always felt perfectly natural to me.
I liked his showdown with the Goblin general in the village, and his face-off with Gundahar via the video screens. The bit towards the end with Knack siding with Lucas against the Doctor was nice too.
I feel like having Knack be a silent protagonist and losing those exchanges would've been a real shame. You mention that you think Knack being silent would better suit his character, but what character would Knack ever have if he never spoke? We'd never know what kind of a character he actually is.

As you say though, opinions.

Milennia

Thanks man, I'm familiar with the concept of opinions.

Knack actually chats with other characters quite a lot throughout the game, which always felt perfectly natural to me.
I liked his showdown with the Goblin general in the village, and his face-off with Gundahar via the video screens. The bit towards the end with Knack siding with Lucas against the Doctor was nice too.
I feel like having Knack be a silent protagonist and losing those exchanges would've been a real shame. You mention that you think Knack being silent would better suit his character, but what character would Knack ever have if he never spoke? We'd never know what kind of a character he actually is.

As you say though, opinions.

Heres a giant bomb quote stating pretty much how i felt on the matter,

It doesn't help that Knack is the least-developed character of them all. All you'll remember about him is his incongruously thunderous voice, his deeply limited cache of bad one-liners

His lines didn't do much. If he had no voice the story would be written differently in the 2 parts you mention, so we would never really have known how it could have played out differently.
It also would be great if he spoke maybe once in the entire game, and that last sequence was it.

Maybe in a later installment it would get a bit bland , in which they could throw him a voice, kind of like clank from ratchet and clank.

_woLf

Beat this the other day,

Loved the game..up until the Airship level and beyond. Took an absolutely TERRIBLE turn for the worst at that point. Fucking frustrating.

Just waiting for a sale on this...
Same here, though it'll have to be a serious sale. I'll bite at $30-35.

This talk of farming crystals has me intrigued though, or horrified, not sure yet.

So is the idea to collect crystals through replaying the entire campaign? If so, does the game do anything different on subsequent playthroughs? Or is it just a repeat of the very same game, with the very same enemies in the very same places offering up the very same challenges?

Considering what I've seen so far of Knack that wouldn't surprise me, but to read that chest rewards are randomized makes me wonder why that particular design was chosen.

Milennia

This talk of farming crystals has me intrigued though, or horrified, not sure yet.

So is the idea to collect crystals through replaying the entire campaign? If so, does the game do anything different on subsequent playthroughs? Or is it just a repeat of the very same game, with the very same enemies in the very same places offering up the very same challenges?

Considering what I've seen so far of Knack that wouldn't surprise me, but to read that chest rewards are randomized makes me wonder why that particular design was chosen.

You just repeat the same difficulty using your new gadgets , you can also use a new version of knack that you have unlocked by collecting enough crystals iirc. But yeah, same enemies, same difficulty.
Theres no way of turning up or turning down the difficulty and using your current items or crystal counts.
You have to start from scratch , but you do get to keep your completed alternate knack forms, which take multiple playthroughs to complete usually, other than brittle and vampire which are common.
Having a big friends list that has completed the game should help a lot with crystal collection though, so who knows. Diamond for sure takes more than one playthrough, didn't even get 1 in my run through.
There are 90 pieces you need for all the knacks, and 68 chests in the game each playthrough.

S1kkZ

ok, i caved in and ordered knack from amazon. i dont really know why, but i have this weird craving fo knack, despite all the flaws it seems to have. i really hope i like it, but it only cost me 40 bucks, so i should be ok.

Just played through this game in about 2 sittings and loved it. I have no idea why the reviews were so bad, and honestly it seemed like a lot of stuff I read the reviews was not even accurate. I remember reading that the check points were so bad that you would get set back 15 minutes, this never happened once. Usually it was about 3-4 sets of enemies at most and if that is taking you 15 minutes to get past than maybe it's time to consider dropping the difficulty. I feel like people didn't like this game because they were expecting a platformer and this game certainly is not a platformer.

I was able to pick it up for $40. I think the $30-$40 range is right for it.

Just played through this game in about 2 sittings and loved it. I have no idea why the reviews were so bad, and honestly it seemed like a lot of stuff I read the reviews was not even accurate. I remember reading that the check points were so bad that you would get set back 15 minutes, this never happened once. Usually it was about 3-4 sets of enemies at most and if that is taking you 15 minutes to get past than maybe it's time to consider dropping the difficulty. I feel like people didn't like this game because they were expecting a platformer and this game certainly is not a platformer.

While I agree that many of the reviews were full of crap, that point wasn't one of them. Because you finished the game in 2 sittings you didn't notice it, but the problem is the game sends you back to the start of the chapter if you quit the game and resume later, instead of sending you to the normal game checkpoint.

While I agree that many of the reviews were full of crap, that point wasn't one of them. Because you finished the game in 2 sittings you didn't notice it, but the problem is the game sends you back to the start of the chapter if you quit the game and resume later, instead of sending you to the normal game checkpoint.

KZ Shadowfall is pretty bad about this as well

Footos22

Bought this Friday night as my lotto syndicate yearly winnings came back and i got nothing better to spend it on. Would only go back on the lotto anyway.

Up to chapter 7. Playing on hard.

Its the most challenging game ive played in such a long time. i love it.

Its not the greatest game in the world, the graphics are average apart form certain areas, alot of places seem way to bland.
But the gameplay is fun albeit simple in execution.

Def a 6-7 game, not doing anything new and it knows it.But what it does do it does well.

Addicted to the android app too

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
His voice is blatently forced and just sounds fake as shit is what my problem was with it.
Yes, opinion, I know, but I really didn't get this feeling at all. His voice comes across very naturally to me, a lower tenor when he speaks in his bulkier forms. Perhaps it's the dialogue you're reacting to more than voice itself - some of the dialogue is definitely very cheesy. But for the voice itself, I think they successfully made the character own it.

It would have been fun though if they had bumped the octave of his voice up a notch each time he shrunk in size, till he sounds like a Chipmunk at his smallest size.

Milennia

Yes, opinion, I know, but I really didn't get this feeling at all. His voice comes across very naturally to me, a lower tenor when he speaks in his bulkier forms. Perhaps it's the dialogue you're reacting to more than voice itself - some of the dialogue is definitely very cheesy. But for the voice itself, I think they successfully made the character own it.

It would have been fun though if they had bumped the octave of his voice up a notch each time he shrunk in size, till he sounds like a Chipmunk at his smallest size.

I may have enjoyed it more if he had more than a few lines.
Its very likely i couldn't get a grasp on it as his lines were abysmal and usually fairly spaced out.

I don't know anything about the voice actors previous work, so i don't even have that to go on.

I was kinda shocked how negatively people were reacting to Knack's voice. There seemed to be a backlash against how tough he sounded once he'd gotten bigger, but what's the alternative? A huge, hulking golem who sounds like Rayman? Or worse, like Sonic?

I love Knack's tough-guy persona.

Yeah, I like his voice.

Jesus christ.
Chapter 9 now. Fucking archers. Fucking useless health bar as I'm dead after two hits maximum anyway. Fucking checkpoint placement.
There's a health bar? Surprised here as I thought you'd be able to just look at Knack to get a semblance of your health.

Or is there no connection between how big you are and how much stuff you're comprised of and your hits?

Watching the Yosp livestream everything in the game looked like it killed in one to two hits max regardless so this has always been something that's confused me about this game.

jiggles

Banned
There's a health bar? Surprised here as I thought you'd be able to just look at Knack to get a semblance of your health.

Or is there no connection between how big you are and how much stuff you're comprised of and your hits?

Watching the Yosp livestream everything in the game looked like it killed in one to two hits max regardless so this has always been something that's confused me about this game.

Collecting relics makes you bigger, stronger and increases your max health, but you don't get smaller if you get hit. There's some enemies that hoover relics off you to make you smaller, and some points where you have to spend relics to power up stuff to progress, but for the most part, once you've gotten big you stay big for the rest of the chapter.

Knack's health has the visual feedback on his body of there being chunks of his body missing, and being loosely held together with blue electric charge, but it'd be a real kick in the balls if you got smaller (and therefore, weaker) every time you took a hit.

Two things.

Knack looks like a badass.

Knack sounds like a badass.

I'm in complete shock at how repulsed people seem to be with both aspects of Knack's character. I'd love for people that loathe either to really articulate what it is they hate so much about it, because I certainly can't figure it out.

On his voice, he comes off as a big lumbering badass. His lines, like most of the writing in this game are very campy and playful. To me, I'd relate him to a kid-friendly version of Kratos. Like Knack, nothing that has ever come out of Kratos' mouth has ever moved me emotionally or developed him as a super deep character, but it's a deep, gruff, voice that exists to say badass angry line #14 at the right moment. Knack is on the same level to me. A fighting machine that talks. There are some nice unexpected little moments. I love Knack's little quip when he's prompted to the ice crystals for the first time. He imitates the professor, "the arcane relics blah blah blah.." He's not overflowing with character or anything, but small touches like that elevate him above the unappealing bland mess people seem to dismiss him as.

I never get the feeling it's taking itself more seriously than it is. I equate the overall writing and dialogue to the level of "just go with it" shallow, playful exchanges found in something like Pacific Rim. You won't get deeply developed characters of course, but that's not why you're playing Knack or watching Pacific Rim. There's an old-school after school anime level of innocence and genuine campyness that feels hard to capture these days. You get a sense of light-hearted adventure and pacing that is rare to come by in a world of gaming filled with gritty serious adults fighting wars, watching your dad get killed, decimating nations…

Now on Knack's design, I feel like it is too appealing to a nostalgic, spiky sense of 'coolness' from days past, through a modern lens. It feels a lot like an extension of the recent Pokemon Mega Evolution designs. It's Charizard!! But with flames!! Spikier!!

chari1.jpg

But I look at this and my childhood thinks: Awesome!! It strikes a cord with my nostalgia of his old design, amplifying the characteristics that made him memorable in the first place. While Knack is a new character, I still get the same feeling.

Knack.jpg

How is this such a shitty design? How is it so different from the new Charizard designs that people trip over themselves to praise?

This will come off as a lot of crazy talk I'm sure, being in the minority. But I thought I'd at least attempt to explain why I really dig Knack's character in an ocean of hate. I'm fascinated to know why, since maybe I'll be the one walking away with a better understanding/taste. Blegh, this post got long.

Did you really compare Knack to Charizard?

I'm at a loss for words.

Not the original design, but more the elements incorporated into his modern, mega evolution designs. I feel like a lot of the same thought processes occurred between the designing and creation of the two. Guess I wasn't too clear. But again, let me reiterate the crazy-talk footer at the end of the post ;P

Aceun

I have a serious question. What's more effective, the combo meter or the time dilator?

Seems like you get stronger with the combo meter long term, but you can lose it easier. Whereas, moment to moment, having that extra bit of reaction time can be quite a life saver.

Not sure what's better though for Coliseum, Time Attack or even the main playthroughs. Has anyone played around with this?

Just finished it on Hard; this was a good game! Seriously underrated and reviewed too harshly; it may not be a game changer, but it's a very solid title with a nice challenge. I would love to see a sequel.

Nice choice of song over the credits! ; )

I'm at chapter 9-2 and after several times I loaded up the game only to be started right back at the entrance to that freaking factory even though I progressed at least halfway into the level. Thanks but this game is up on sale for Amazon. I can't, game started off "okayyy" but it literally got boring as shit around chapter 7 and I'm sick of it. I'm deceived.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Holy shit...Knack is fucking terrible.

its literally the same damn encounter for 8 hours straight. Fight a small group of enemies in a small confined space, rinse and repeat. This could of been done on the PS1.

Just finished it on Hard; this was a good game! Seriously underrated and reviewed too harshly; it may not be a game changer, but it's a very solid title with a nice challenge. I would love to see a sequel.

Nice choice of song over the credits! ; )

I feel the same way. Playing on normal and it's just right for me. I feel like some people who hate on this game aren't even giving it a chance and that's sad.

Top Bottom