• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

Why is Knack's Quest so difficult?

I got 5.8 mill or something on Endless before the ranking update today - looked at the rankings and number one was only 2.9 million. I'm sure someone will max it out soon if they haven't already. I'm only mediocre at match three games.

I got 5.8 mill or something on Endless before the ranking update today - looked at the rankings and number one was only 2.9 million. I'm sure someone will max it out soon if they haven't already. I'm only mediocre at match three games.

Yea, pretty much. A few good combos and your score will explode

Dune1975

Banned
I've seen that happen occasionally too, but no idea if it's hardware or software related. I played through a majority of the game using remote play, I suspect maybe it's streaming related; that is unless you were playing on a TV and seeing it there.

No its on the TV, but its only in that one game in that one part which is why I questioned it

Iceblade

I've seen that happen occasionally too, but no idea if it's hardware or software related. I played through a majority of the game using remote play, I suspect maybe it's streaming related; that is unless you were playing on a TV and seeing it there.

They are particle effects blowing in the wind.

ElRenoRaven

Bout damn time. Downloaded it today and have been loving playing it without it crashing the way the IOS version kept crashing on me. It's nothing that hasn't been done before but it's fun.

Also finished Knack for the first time today. Gotta say it's going into the collection for good. It's one of those unique games that you just keep like Stubbs the Zombie, Lollipop Chainsaw, etc.

Needless to say it will never leave my collection.

JoeFenix

Grimløck;92726689 said:
This game has a coliseum mode? I beat the game a while ago and never noticed this.

The capture looks great.

Thanks, what did you think of the commentary and video in general?

dorkimoe

Thanks, what did you think of the commentary and video in general?

good video man. holy shit though..you make me look like ass. i cant get a combo that high..youve like mastered all the enemies haha.

maybe you can answer my question above

I finished it on normal, how do i go back and "farm chests" i did chapter select but no chests appear

Just got done with the badlands levels (something Wasteland). Wow. Graphics and art style really blew me away. Made my brain start to salivate thinking about Fallout 4 . . .

JoeFenix

good video man. holy shit though..you make me look like ass. i cant get a combo that high..youve like mastered all the enemies haha.

maybe you can answer my question above

I finished it on normal, how do i go back and "farm chests" i did chapter select but no chests appear

The chests don't seem to appear at all on chapter select.

I haven't really started farming chests yet so I'm not 100% sure how that all works, sorry.

dorkimoe

Ok thanks. I just read. Yeah can't do chapter select. Looks like I'll just start my hard play through. And try and finish unlocking everything

Ricky_R

Well Knack froze on me the first time around the first couple of chapters, but I deleted the game's update (read that somewhere) and the issue seemed to have been resolved. Now on chapter 11/2 it froze on me twice again.

Will try disconnected from internet now and I'll update. Hope these hard resets won't fuck my PS4 up.

UPDATE: Disconnected from the internet and could finish the chapter with no freezes. Not sure if coincidence, but it worked.

Will update again if it freezes while offline.

Vodh

I've decided to trade NFS for Knack after getting all I wanted out of NFS and...

I don't regret at all. I'm definitely getting Crash vibes from the game and it's pretty good. Maybe if I was spoiled by Nintendo I wouldn't feel the same way, but I've never owned a Nintendo console (if you don't count a russian SNES clone way back in the day) so I'm loving it so far.

So far, I'd say this game could benefit from a clearer checkpoint system. I never know how far I'm going to get pushed back if I die. Wonder if it was a design decision or an oversight?

bumpkin

How in the heck did you pull that off? I think my best was just shy of 2 million (1.9), and at that point, the window for recognizing the next move was freaking tiny. You have to be a cyborg or something.

Paznos

Just competed Knack on very hard difficulty and got my first PS4 Platinum! Screw the reviews I really enjoyed this game and glad I bought it.

TheTwelve

I
So far, I'd say this game could benefit from a clearer checkpoint system. I never know how far I'm going to get pushed back if I die. Wonder if it was a design decision or an oversight?

I'd agree it could be clearer, but the checkpoint system is a gift from heaven when trying to play with vampire knack. O.O

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Finished this. It definitely dragged in parts and I thought the story/characters were terrible. The times when Knack becomes super sized and wrecks everything Rampage style were great fun, though. More of that, less story breaks/transitions.

Some editing, new characters, and a Knack redesign would have done wonders for the game.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Finally beaten the story mode.
Apparently to unlock the gadgets and additional forms you just need to bite it and beat the game again and again until you get enough.
No. Hell no. Are you mad? I could've accepted gadgets for NG+ and forms for NG++ but implying I'd beat this game more than twice?
No.

Also that ending was so bad.

bumpkin

Finished this. It definitely dragged in parts and I thought the story/characters were terrible. The times when Knack becomes super sized and wrecks everything Rampage style were great fun, though. More of that, less story breaks/transitions.

Some editing, new characters, and a Knack redesign would have done wonders for the game.
And what would the redesign result in, exactly?

I thought his design was fine and made perfect sense in terms of his makeup (a bunch of magically connected relics).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
And what would the redesign result in, exactly?

I thought his design was fine and made perfect sense in terms of his makeup (a bunch of magically connected relics).

It's probably the most unappealing mascot character I've ever seen. I understand they wanted to showcase the particle effects so they made a game around a character made up of a bunch of interconnected bits, but his look is just bland. He's just an ugly character.

TheTwelve

It's probably the most unappealing mascot character I've ever seen. I understand they wanted to showcase the particle effects so they made a game around a character made up of a bunch of interconnected bits, but his look is just bland. He's just an ugly character.

I suspect he'll look sharper in Knack 2.

I don't think Knack is ugly to the point of offensive but I can definitely see the potential for better character design in him.

-NeoTB1-

I got this from gamefly over the weekend and absolutely loving it so far. I'm on Chapter 5 and can already see myself playing this through again. I love finding those hidden chests and unlocking different things.

Skeff

Decided to create a video review to go with the written one. It's only the second time I've created a video review. It's not terrible (I hope), but I really should try and create video content weekly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ-mJZnddQA

I thought it was a good review, If I had any advice I'd say you seemed a bit nervous so try and relax a little more next time, but it's a good review, I think you should keep doing them.

Ricky_R

Finished it yesterday. Pretty fun game and surprisingly lengthy. Knack 2 would benefit so much from not being a launch title.

It's evident that this game would've been something more varied and polished if they had the time to work on it. Hope there's a sequel.

Decided to try the Knack app again with leaderboards.

I'm now #1 all-time with 8.3 million. Beating second place by 500k.

Won't last but it feels good!

THEaaron

Knack is way too long. Didn't think I would say something like this about a game. But man.. it took hours and hours. This is a game that could end well in about 6-8 hours because the gameplay doesn't vary much...

Skeff

Finished it yesterday. Pretty fun game and surprisingly lengthy. Knack 2 would benefit so much from not being a launch title.

It's evident that this game would've been something more varied and polished if they had the time to work on it. Hope there's a sequel.

I think Knack 2 could be a really great game. I think Knack is a great launch game, probably an 8 IMO but I think Knack 2 could really be a 9, If they cut down the level lengths a little bit and introduce more platforming segments (there were some good segments in Knack but they were quite sparse, as well as allowing for different types of Knack to tackle levels in slightly different ways (stealth knack etc) It could become a great PS4 franchise, though probably at the $40 pricepoint is where it would gain more of a foothold.

With the game shipping with a lot of PS4's then it could build up a fanbase who would be interested in Knack 2.

Snookie

Finally finished it last night. That last boss was just wrecking me for a good 20 minutes before I finally figured out the timing of it all.

I really enjoyed the game personally. My kids like the game as well. I'm glad I bought it.

Now i'm debating on going for diamond knack. I have Vampire Knack and the Aqua Relic one as well. I gotta read up on the farming thing.

Ricky_R

I think Knack 2 could be a really great game. I think Knack is a great launch game, probably an 8 IMO but I think Knack 2 could really be a 9, If they cut down the level lengths a little bit and introduce more platforming segments (there were some good segments in Knack but they were quite sparse, as well as allowing for different types of Knack to tackle levels in slightly different ways (stealth knack etc) It could become a great PS4 franchise, though probably at the $40 pricepoint is where it would gain more of a foothold.

With the game shipping with a lot of PS4's then it could build up a fanbase who would be interested in Knack 2.

Indeed. Hope there's a sequel.

Although they kinda suggested it with the ending (I think), so who knows...

Just finished it myself, a fun and enjoyable game, I don't know where those low scoring reviews were coming from but nevermind!

How do you go about making more gadgets and crystal relics, just keep replaying the game?

OSHAN

If you don't see one of those seemingly superfluous cutscenes, then you probably didn't pass a checkpoint. They tend to be the visual cues you've passed a checkpoint.

sol_bad

Copied from another forum that I post on.

So I finally started playing Knack, decided to play it through on hard (as I do in all my games) and ......... it's decidedly average. I think I need to blame myself though as my timing for dodging is sometimes way off. The fact that you have unlimited lives is making me not care or want to improve my skills. There needs to be a tougher checkpoint system, at least on the harder difficulty so make me want to improve.
The jumping mechanics can be annoying when you are trying to get up ledges, sometimes it looks like a single jump can get you up but you need to do a double jump. This has inadvertently lead me to dying from an arrow on occasions.

The variety of enemies is nice and it does keep you on your feet learning their attacks. When I say variety I guess I mean aesthetically because the actually enemy types boil down to two different categories, melee and projectile. It's the melee enemies that I feel no need to improve my skills on due to (as mentioned above) the lack of any risk from dying.

The graphics are quite nice in a Pixar way, I am quite disappointed that the cut scenes look better than the actual game though! You would think by this generation they could/would look one and the same as each other.
Guess this may be the case with Knack 2 if it gets made, I will buy it too because it has potential as a franchise.
Audibly, even in this simple "rushed" game there is an improvement in the sound stage and clarity compared to PS3 and especially X360 games. I'm hoping as the generation continues games will get closer to Blu Ray movie quality.

I'll continue to play Knack and will probably even finish it multiple times to find all the secrets. I'm a god damn sucker for collectathons!!!

Top Bottom