• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: My Son Has Ruined Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Don't Have Kids)

KAOz

Short bus special
Okay so is there context to this that I'm missing? The author doesn't seem to be actually upset by any of this yet the first page of this thread seemed to have a different read on it.

Majority of GAF barely reads the OP, and even fewer reads the article itself.

Cess007

I'm completely relaxed. I didn't find humour in the article and it was written to elicit that response but it's flawed because its writing about a problem that doesn't exist outside the bounds of explicitly creating it to write about it.

Except he's not writing about a problem. He's not saying this is the game's fault or anything, just a anecdote about a situation he has with his son, which he's even alright with.

Also, it's not the fault of the author that people can't read the article before posting their takes on it. The article is written to elicit a chuckle or an "Aww"; the fact that people failed to grasp that, it's sad.

Hahaha, that was a fun read.

And to people saying that couldn't he have made a different account for his kid, couldn't you have read the article?
Secondly, why is he playing my game and not his own game? Simple answer: I’ve got all the cool power-ups and the cool weapons. His chances of actually inching his way through and earning those rewards at four years old are at monkeys writing Shakespeare odds at this point.

Dre3001

There needs to be a bold summary as to why he doesn't create a new file for his son since nobody is reading the article.

His son doesn't actually want to play through the game, he just wants to fuck around with the high powered weapons and such.

Why though? Creating a second account is the easiest thing. There's even a + icon on the account selection screen when you start the game up, so that you don't need to navigate through the settings to make a new account.

I don't know how it's managed on Switch, I played BOTW on Wii U. But having several files is usually more confortable than several accounts. You can copy saves, start a new game without delete your 100%-ish advances (Xenoblade X comes to mind), and know exactly the hours you play a certain game even if you use several files (again, talking about Wii U).

If you have both options (different files and different accounts) it's a win-win. But some recent Nintendo games suffer because the lack of the first option (Pikmin 3 is also a bad contender, you are forced to delete your progress to revisit past days).

Betty

Banned
But they are exceptional at giving parenting advices!

The father could still help his son out on the kids own account when he gets stuck.

That way his kid learns how to play, they bond, and the dad's adventure isn't messed with

What i'm saying is... I think we should be looking into contacting child services, that's just my opinion of course and some may disagree.

The father could still help his son out on the kids own account when he gets stuck.

That way his kid learns how to play, they bond, and the dad's adventure isn't messed with.

At a certain age a kid is just too young to ever "get" some games. There is just too much to understand and execute.

That age varies by game and by kid of course, but (based on my dealings with my own 2 year old daughter, and my nieces and nephews who are between 3 and 8 years old) I could very easily see a 4 year old not being able to meaningfully progress in BotW regardless of dad's help.

Secondly, why is he playing my game and not his own game? Simple answer: I've got all the cool power-ups and the cool weapons. His chances of actually inching his way through and earning those rewards at four years old are at monkeys writing Shakespeare odds at this point.

Now that's a thoughtful dad. Though, I'm sure his kid would of had just as much fun running around as naked Link, fighting with a stick.

I remember the first time I played Mario 64. I was completely okay with just running around the castle grounds jumping and flipping around doing handstands on trees.

And that's when I was 11. Haha. I actually never ended up beating the game.

Galang

Banned
Jeez, joke or not... the dad sounds like a complete asshole. Yes the save file situation is a bit strange, but it's just a video game. He makes his son sound like a complete monster for wanting to play the same game he sees his dad playing. :/ Sometimes I get really scared at the things people choose to get mad at. I feel bad for the son @ having such a bad parent

That way his kid learns how to play, they bond, and the dad's adventure isn't messed with.

Nah, there's very little point in helping at this point. It's in a period where they can interact and kind of get things, and like to see stuff that happens, but they don't have the patience nor care to do things correctly, let alone sit and understand you as you try and show them. They may pick up on some things here or there, but it's just better to let them fool around and explore.

JeTmAn81

My kid deleted my near end game 3D World save. Now I'm going to have to hack my Wii U to load someone else's save on there. Thanks for the opportunity to do something new with my Wii U, kidlet!

Edit: Also I'd tried to avoid this by having my same save in all three slots. She deleted them all.

Mash83

Haha this is great. My 3 year old son loved sitting in my lap to watch me play. He would ask "Daddy, whats rink doing right now?" "Daddy, I wanna see rink."

He was never allowed to hold my switch though so I didn't have the same issue.

Hahaha, that was a fun read.

And to people saying that couldn't he have made a different account for his kid, couldn't you have read the article?

Secondly, why is he playing my game and not his own game? Simple answer: I’ve got all the cool power-ups and the cool weapons. His chances of actually inching his way through and earning those rewards at four years old are at monkeys writing Shakespeare odds at this point.

Why even bother letting him play it then? I'm sure he could have more fun exploring wasting time and killing in Minecraft on any other device in the house, hell, even the Switch.

SlickVic

What a useless article. Be glad that you have an awesome son who likes Zelda. Make an account for him. Provide him with 100+ magical hours that he will never forget. The end.

Alternately, let him mess around with the cool weapons and items his dad got in his save file for now since he's only 4 years old and that sounds like what he's having fun doing. When he's a bit older, give him a new save file to play the game through when he can really appreciate it.

mejin

"can I play YOUR game, papa?"

200.gif

There needs to be a bold summary as to why he doesn't create a new file for his son since nobody is reading the article.

His son doesn't actually want to play through the game, he just wants to fuck around with the high powered weapons and such.

I don't own a switch but is Zelda a one save slot like Pokémon? If not why not make 2?

My takeaway is.. why not make two saves of the same one with the all power ups? It's common sense.

Or zelda only allows one save slot ?

jkanownik

Playing BotW with my kids (2 & 5) is awesome. My 2 year old son just wants to go into shrines and fight guardians. He also appreciates some solid goblin action. My 5 year old daughter wants to complete quests, fight Lynels and the dragons to get materials. Both will setlle for exploration of new areas or fighting
ganon

If I want to do anything else I need to come up with a creative idea to sell it to them. I also have to make sure it stays exciting.

TankRizzo

Banned
Jeez, joke or not... the dad sounds like a complete asshole. Yes the save file situation is a bit strange, but it's just a video game. He makes his son sound like a complete monster for wanting to play the same game he sees his dad playing. :/ Sometimes I get really scared at the things people choose to get mad at. I feel bad for the son @ having such a bad parent

oh my fucking god. You can't be serious? Jesus Christ, you are.

God damn.

stoke1863

My 5 year old nephew loves to play BOTW, I was having the same issue as the Kotaku guy, I just made him his own account and got him off the plateau, he can now mess around as much as he wants.

Caelus

Maybe your dumbass shouldn't have kids since your Zelda save file is more important than your son having fun

What a shithead

This thread really was a mistake, Jesus Christ.

I love my sweet little 7 year old brother and let him play on my file all the time since I completed all the shrines and it's hard for him to do so. I don't have time to play through his file with him. I can probably write a similar article with a tongue-in-cheek, sardonic "ugh, brothers are the worst" and talk about how he uses up all my ingredients making crepes.

It's an article for entertainment about a fairytale game loved by grown people and little kids alike. Apparently this gets GAF's knickers into a twist. Awful.

Why even bother letting him play it then? I'm sure he could have more fun exploring wasting time and killing in Minecraft on any other device in the house, hell, even the Switch.

Because the kid wants to play Zelda and not Minecraft? The kid can still have fun playing Zelda? Why is this weird or hard to understand?

Damn some godawful responses in this thread. Half of y'all are making dumb snarky responses without even reading the article and the other half are taking the article waaaay too seriously when it was obviously meant to be playful.

KAOz

Short bus special

I feel bad for your reading comprehension.

He isn't mad. He isn't angry. He is only sharing a story about his kid. Some things will annoy of course, yet he willfully let's his son play the way he wants.

He is not a bad parent. Jesys.

What kids want doesn't matter. They have plenty of other outlets to have fun.

Sorry, but what my kids want absolutely does matter to me. Do they get everything they want? Of course not. But something as WHOLLY UNIMPORTANT to life as my save game in a video game, my kids' fun is more important.

This thread is really blowing my damn mind.

I understand it. I just don't understand why a parent can't tell their kid no.

I tell my kid no all the time about things that actually matter. A save game in a game I've already put 140 hours into wouldn't be one of those things...

FinalAres

Can people not read? He said his son wanted to play 'HIS' Zelda all powered up. That's why he couldn't set up a separate profile.

But also Zelda saves a million times so probably not an issue.

Damn some godawful responses in this thread. Half of y'all are making dumb snarky responses without even reading the article and the other half are taking the article waaaay too seriously when it was obviously meant to be playful.

Wait so everybody is either making snarky responses without reading or taking the article too seriously? Everyone?

Who said he can't tell his kid no? Maybe he wants the kid to enjoy Zelda?

JeTmAn81

So the real issue here is the inability to back up saves or load someone else's save. Can you do that on Switch or Wii U?

My 5 year old nephew loves to play BOTW, I was having the same issue as the Kotaku guy, I just made him his own account and got him off the plateau, he can now mess around as much as he wants.

Fast-forward 30 years and he will still be living at home. Should of let him figure it out on his own....

^Completely joking over-course.

I can't wait to play some Zelda with my daughter in a few years.

Makonero

Edited the OP to address Gaf's biggest two concerns

maybe i should also add "HUMOR ARTICLE, GENTLE CHUCKLING IS APPROPRIATE" at the top

Seik

Banned
So here’s what my son does: he turns on the game. He doesn’t load the most recent save. Oh no. He scrolls through the saves and finds the one with the coolest image — usually a save near Death Mountain with lava and shit ‘cause my son loves lava.

He then proceeds to overwrite the last six saves by jaunting all over the map on his merry way, firing Guardian arrows and accumulating soup ladles.

Aw, ain't that precious? :3

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

For one its really not that serious. Its just a game.

I would hope some folks here realize that. Making my kid happy by playing on my save, profile outweighs how many hours I put in the game.

That said....I had to setup separate profiles on all my consoles when I could....just saying...lol.

aett

My six-year-old has his own copy of Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

Does he play it? Sometimes.

Does he want to play my wife's copy nearly all the time because 1) it has more stuff and 2) he likes sharing something with his mom? Hell yes he does.

He can just make a permanent manual save every time he finishes playing that he can always go back to, those don't get overwritten by autosaves IIRC. That's how I've been doing it and I don't even have a kid to worry about.

Top Bottom