• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: My Son Has Ruined Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Don't Have Kids)

khaaan

Some people are projecting really bad in this thread:

So some of us saying why this is a non issue (to the point that we don't find funny the content of the article) is the equivalent to tell them how to be good parents?

I understand that some parents have it rough when other people criticize them for the way they educate their kids but guys, not everyone is against you.

Did you read the article?

RedFury

Fuck all that noise (the kids are shit bags narrative In this thread not the article writers jest). As someone fascinated by the human mind and development watching my 8 year old play portal 1 and beat it was mind blowing. He picked up on somethings faster than I did. It's my logic vs his abstract. We are about to start portal 2 and he can't wait to get home.

Article was endearing like a picture of puppies.

Thread is hilarious as the idiots pile into each other.

The ones doubling on their hot-takes tho', you special.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Kids are shitbags.

Of course you love your kids, they're still shitbags. I love my 3 year old nephew, he's a shitbag too.

Kids who cant take no for an answer are big shitbags. Parents who raise their kids without ever saying no are the biggest shitbags of them all.

So, shaming people who didn't consent to it is OK, so long as it's a joke? Got it.

If this is what you consider "shaming" you have a very different definition of it than I do.

When I was 2 my parents took me to a kite flying festival. Because I was a toddler, I wasn't capable of flying a kite and I got all tangled in kite strings. The local newspaper took a picture of it and put it in the paper. My parents kept it and showed it to friends and relatives throughout the years because they thought it was a cute story. By your logic I should be irrevocably damaged by the "shaming" my parents subjected me to.

red731

and earning those rewards at four years old are at monkeys writing Shakespeare odds at this point
usually a save near Death Mountain with lava and shit ‘cause my son loves lava
He then proceeds to overwrite the last six saves by jaunting all over the map on his merry way, firing Guardian arrows and accumulating soup ladles

tenor.gif

Yoooooooooooo

Servbot24

Banned
Kids are shitbags.

Of course you love your kids, they're still shitbags. I love my 3 year old nephew, he's a shitbag too.

Kids who cant take no for an answer are big shitbags. Parents who raise their kids without ever saying no are the biggest shitbags of them all.

Can I play your game, dad?

Fuck off, shitbag.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
BotW is one of the easiest games in the world to just hand to a kid and tell them to explore and have fun. Evidenced by the fact that the kid is more interested in soup spoons than battle axes. Just get him past that first hump so he gets the hang glider and opens the world up and call it a day.

Give that kid his own file and watch his progress... that's some of the best parts! Watching my daughter learn how to play games over the years was amazing.

Going back to Black Flag at this point and watching her run around perfectly and sail her ship confident through the waves is so cool...

Maps though... she has trouble with maps.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Guys.....seriously?

Games are serious business....

Can I play your game, dad?

Fuck off, shitbag.

I didnt fully read that post...damn... I thank the OP for this thread. has made my day.

Its not about not saying no...its about saying Yea, Ok sport, here you go.

Where did we get parents never saying no or kids that cant take no for an answer....

I need to go and read this article.

Obviously the author of the article cares more about his child than the game or his save. Or realizes its just a game.

.......or he would tell him no......

Makonero

Games are serious business....

I didnt fully read that post...damn... I thank the OP for this thread. has made my day.

Its not about not saying no...its about saying Yea, Ok sport, here you go.

Where did we get parents never saying no or kids that cant take no for an answer....

I need to go and read this article.

I will say, I knew that there would be people who took it too seriously, but never to the degree that people would call this guy a bad dad.

I think the thread is now officially funnier than the article. So, kudos GAF.

Eusis

I was afraid he overwrote his save with some new game crap. This just makes me wish Nintendo still kept the old setup of 3 (or more!) manual saves and he could just copy his to a second file his son could run amok with, then cover that up with a new, even better one to also raise hell with.

Hell that'd be good for grown ups playing their own game, maybe they want a save to go crazy and collect soup ladles in too!

Did you read the article?

I was referring to some hyperbolic reactions here but you know what?, I take back what I said originally since I'm reading some people actually saying stupid stuff like "you need to know when to say no to your kid". Those posts are as dumb as the original article.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I will say, I knew that there would be people who took it too seriously, but never to the degree that people would call this guy a bad dad.

I think the thread is now officially funnier than the article. So, kudos GAF.

Yes, I started to say this thread my be in the running for thread of the year.

It has a shot.

I think what it comes down to is a bunch of people here imagining some random kid fucking up their own save game and how they would feel pissed without realizing that the author feels that even though it kinda sucks that some stuff gets ruined in his save, that he's willing to sacrifice that because he finds it far more important that his kid is playing Zelda and enjoying it.

The nuance of

Kid playing Zelda >>>>>>>>>>>> Lost progress in game

seems lost on people.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
As someone who had an actual shithead for a father, y'all need to get some perspective.

anothertech

There is also such a thing as teaching your 4 year old how to NOT save over your games, and the reasons why. I did it with my 3 year old after a few deleted save games. It's easy, takes little time and saves your sanity.

But you know, parenting and priorities and such.

There is also such a thing as teaching your 4 year old how to NOT save over your games, and the reasons why. I did it with my 3 year old after a few deleted save games. It's easy, takes little time and saves your sanity.

But you know, parenting and priorities and such.

If the article is to be believed, the autosave feature in BotW overwrites your saves eventually even if the kid doesn't save a single thing.

Terrell

If this is what you consider "shaming" you have a very different definition of it than I do.

When I was 2 my parents took me to a kite flying festival. Because I was a toddler, I wasn't capable of flying a kite and I got all tangled in kite strings. The local newspaper took a picture of it and put it in the paper. My parents kept it and showed it to friends and relatives throughout the years because they thought it was a cute story. By your logic I should be irrevocably damaged by the "shaming" my parents subjected me to.

Did they jokingly mention that they wanted to hurt you because of it or use it as a reason not to have kids? NO? Then it's not quite shaming you. Embarrassing you, perhaps, but not shaming you.

And who said anything about irrevocably damaging this kid? You can treat a kid poorly without scarring them permanently. Doesn't make it a good thing to do.

Saying that a 4 year old has weird habits in a video game is not shaming him. It's a funny and cute fact of life.

You're just shaming yourself right now dude.

Yeah, there was a way to go about writing this that would achieve all the things you suggest this article is that didn't have to involve jokes of considering child abuse or telling others not to have kids. There was a way through that, and this writer clearly chose not to. You'll have to forgive me for not finding that part terribly funny, cute or indicative of his love for his kid.

Incredibly unfunny. Ha! Ha! My kid isn't playing the game correctly, and I'm frustrated because I don't appreciate the difference in mental faculties between children and adults! This is comic gold!

Servbot24

Banned
Did they jokingly mention that they wanted to hurt you because of it or use it as a reason not to have kids? NO? Then it's not quite shaming you. Embarrassing you, perhaps, but not shaming you.

And who said anything about irrevocably damaging this kid? You can treat a kid poorly without scarring them permanently. Doesn't make it a good thing to do.

Yeah, there was a way to go about writing this that would achieve all the things you suggest this article is that didn't have to involve jokes of considering child abuse or telling others not to have kids. There was a way through that, and this writer clearly chose not to. You'll have to forgive me for not finding that part terribly funny, cute or indicative of his love for his kid.

Blatant example of a guy who doesn't have kids telling other people how to have kids.

Ivan 3414

I just don't understand how people can read this article and think the story is "fun" or "cute". By the writer's own admission, his kid messing with his save is "incredibly, incredibly frustrating".

I didn't determine that the father is a bad dad or the kid is a shithead or anything, but what exactly is "cute" about the writer letting his kid have his way to the writer's detriment? That's silly, and a bit sad.

I just don't understand how people can read this article and think the story is "fun" or "cute". By the writer's own admission, his kid messing with his save is "incredibly, incredibly frustrating".

I didn't determine that the father is a bad dad or the kid is a shithead or anything, but what exactly is "cute" about the writer letting his kid have his way to the writer's detriment? That's silly, and a bit sad.

Because kids can do things that frustrate parents and yet still be good and cute for them at the same time.

Well your not even reading my posts, otherwise you would've seen the "some". If you're not doing either there's no reason to be offended is there?

I did read it. You said half were making snarky responses without reading and the other half was taking it too seriously. Two halves make a whole, and those are the two categories you listed. I was poking fun at how you stated it.

Kthulhu

Don't let your kid play your games. Problem solved.

Edit: at least without your supervision.

I get that the author wants their kid to have fun, but I had plenty of fun as a kid with Donkey Kong Country despite sucking ass at it. I'm sure their kid would have plenty of fun with Zelda despite not being good at it.

Tarahiro

I'm always glad I don't have children and things like this just reinforce my thoughts that I made the best choice to never have any :)

Even when my friends play games at my house I always say to them 'don't overwrite my save' even though they are adults fully capable of understanding not to do it anyway. I just don't trust anyone not to ruin my game saves so I feel like I have to remind them.

Thankfully they don't mind :)

Nepenthe

My younger nephew came just an autosave away from wiping out my entire post-Ganon save file by starting a new game while I wasn't looking.

He only plays Mario Kart 8 now.

I did read it. You said half were making snarky responses without reading and the other half was taking it too seriously. Two halves make a whole, and those are the two categories you listed. I was poking fun at how you stated it.

Half and half of the some I referenced earlier. Not very hard to put two and two together....

That writer is an asshole.

Kids break/ruin stuff while they're growing up, get the fuck over it. If you don't want you shit touched then don't give it to other people and document it in a snarky Kotaku bit for everyone to see what a giant flaming douchebag you are.

Top Bottom