• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: My Son Has Ruined Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Don't Have Kids)

It's kind of a self-made problem here. Take a little time to show your kid the right way to screw around in his own profile. He'll be better for it. I was so proud when my boy beat ocarina of time.

Cess007

Edited the OP to address Gaf's biggest two concerns

maybe i should also add "HUMOR ARTICLE, GENTLE CHUCKLING IS APPROPRIATE" at the top

lmao you edited your post, but I was about to suggest adding "Humor/Not Serious article" to the title because something tells me your edit in OP won't be enough

Couldn't the guy make a separate account for his kid and let him play his own adventure without interfering with his?
Why don't you make another account and play there?
This is really stupid =___=

Well, you see Nintendo haven't implemented password protection on individual accounts on the same Switch; therefore, anyone can play your file, manipulate your game or its settings, and even outright delete your save file.

Which brings me to this...

Meh, that's not so hard stuff to get back. Especially Guardian Swords, c'mon. That's nothing.

Much worse things:

-selling a unique item with no chance to ever get it back in that save.
-outright DELETING the game save

That guy got it easy.

This has happened to me. My Zelda file was deleted by my son.

I nearly murdered my brother three times because of this. Siblings. Not even once.
My 8 year old son thought it would be cool to play my file. For whatever reason he wanted to start a new game on my account. The way Zelda is set up once you start a new game it deletes your old game automatically. It even warns you when you're about to do so, but my son did it anyway not fully understanding what he did. I lost 60 hours in Zelda and had defeated one Devine Beast.

After that I emailed Nintendo expressing my disappoinment that individual accounts on one Switch couldn't be password protected. Hopefully it does some good, because even on Wii U you could password protect each account on there. They responded back that they would take my feedback into consideration. So at least there's hope for an update.

He can just make a permanent manual save every time he finishes playing that he can always go back to, those don't get overwritten by autosaves IIRC. That's how I've been doing it and I don't even have a kid to worry about.

I do that, but apparently someone has said they get overwritten over time anyway.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So here’s what my son does: he turns on the game. He doesn’t load the most recent save. Oh no. He scrolls through the saves and finds the one with the coolest image — usually a save near Death Mountain with lava and shit ‘cause my son loves lava.

He then proceeds to overwrite the last six saves by jaunting all over the map on his merry way, firing Guardian arrows and accumulating soup ladles.

Now this is just sick...evil.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
We're talking about something as trivial as video games......

In the grand scheme of things, yes.....but if you're going to spend hundreds of hours on a game that you felt valuable enough to invest your time into it, then why would you let your 4 yr old unsupervised play on that same save? You're asking for the same things you're writing about (joking or not) to happen and you cant really expect anyone to feel bad.

There are plenty of other games i'm sure the kid could play but at least sit WITH him and show him some things or supervise to the point where he doesn't sabotage your save. It's not rocket science people, and it sure as hell doesn't make anyone a bad parent for enforcing rules and not just letting your kid run wild with a save.

PK Gaming

This article is so stupid. No one cares about your son, dear Kotaku journalist.
Also, don't have kids, lol.

3e3.jpg

Actually, you know what? Here's another.

3e3.jpg

For one its really not that serious. Its just a game.

I would hope some folks here realize that. Making my kid happy by playing on my save, profile outweighs how many hours I put in the game.

That said....I had to setup separate profiles on all my consoles when I could....just saying...lol.

I get that. I want my daughter happy too. So when she asked if she can play my Stardew Valley save, I said no. She moved on and played Minecraft on her Wii U (maybe 6 months ago). Was she upset? Maybe for a few minutes.

Let's not act like playing our game saves are the only things keeping our kids happy. Kids don't need access to the same stuff as parents.

Good lord some of these posts. It's a humor article y'all, it's not asking you for some deep examination of the condition presented within.

.Anema

7/10. I've seen better douchebags this year. If this douchebag was called Belda, nobody would care.

Why people still insist that everyone should care about their sons? The situation in the article is stupid. The dad is dumb, the situation is dumb. Just make another profile and teach you son to play videogames in the right way.

jroc74

I get that. I want my daughter happy too. So when she asked if she can play my Stardew Valley save, I said no. She moved on and played Minecraft on her Wii U (maybe 6 months ago). Was she upset? Maybe for a few minutes.

Let's not act like playing our game saves are the only things keeping our kids happy. Kids don't need access to the same stuff as parents.

I dont think anyone is saying its the only thing keeping them happy. Maybe its one thing that makes them happy at that moment..

I think what we are saying is....its just a game....

It really shouldnt be that serious if you are a parent.

In the grand scheme of things, yes.....but if you're going to spend hundreds of hours on a game that you felt valuable enough to invest your time into it, then why would you let your 4 yr old unsupervised play on that same save? You're asking for the same things you're writing about (joking or not) to happen and you cant really expect anyone to feel bad.

There are plenty of other games i'm sure the kid could play but at least sit WITH him and show him some things or supervise to the point where he doesn't sabotage your save. It's not rocket science people, and it sure as hell doesn't make anyone a bad parent for enforcing rules and not just letting your kid run wild with a save.

This is what I'm trying to convey, but I lack the ability of being sensitive with my words.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

The OP specifically states the reason why as do other parents ITT about why kids wanna try out their saves specifically. Even if you've invested a long time into a game, when it comes to your child, it's not that deep.

Terrell

Except, as explained like 20 times in this thread already, the article explains why he didn't do that.

He addressed that in the article.

Not that that is in any way the point. Sheesh. Only gamers could turn a cute moment between father and son into a controversy.

His reasoning is faulty.

Secondly, why is he playing my game and not his own game? Simple answer: I've got all the cool power-ups and the cool weapons. His chances of actually inching his way through and earning those rewards at four years old are at monkeys writing Shakespeare odds at this point.

He then goes on to talk shit about his kid equipping a SOUP LADLE. I seriously doubt the kid cares about "cool weapons" as much as the writer thinks he does, given the information provided.

Thirdly, why do I keep letting this happen?

Love, ladies and Gentlemen. Love.

Love is awaking at 7:30am, seeing your 50-strong collection of Guardian Arrows reduced to three, and summoning the courage to not savagely strangle your own flesh and blood in a fit of righteous rage.

Love is not shaming your children in an irrevocable permanent way on the internet.
I'm sure this kid is going to love growing up and at one point finding out that his dad thought about strangling him and warning others, even jokingly, to not have children because of his actions.
This is tolerance, at best, not what I would equate to love.

Some people are projecting really bad in this thread:

So some of us saying why this is a non issue (to the point that we don't find funny the content of the article) is the equivalent to tell them how to be good parents?

I understand that some parents have it rough when other people criticize them for the way they educate their kids but guys, not everyone is against you.

Love is not shaming your children in an irrevocable permanent way on the internet. I'm sure this kid is going to love growing up and at one point finding out that his dad thought about strangling him and warning others, even jokingly, to not have children because of his actions.

Lol, this should be a future copypasta. It's right up there with the infamous honor and shame one. You are taking this about 1000x too seriously.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The OP specifically states the reason why as do other parents ITT about why kids wanna try out their saves specifically. Even if you've invested a long time into a game, when it comes to your child, it's not that deep.

And i'm specifically stating that the scenario of losing all your shit is 100% preventable if you actually play WITH them or SHOW them what not to do so that you don't lose all your work that you obviously felt was valuable enough to play for so long.

Corpekata

Banned
His reasoning is faulty.

He then goes on to talk shit about his kid equipping a SOUP LADLE. I seriously doubt the kid cares about "cool weapons" as much as the writer thinks he does, given the information provided.

Love is not shaming your children in an irrevocable permanent way on the internet.
I'm sure this kid is going to love growing up and at one point finding out that his dad thought about strangling him and warning others, even jokingly, to not have children because of his actions.

Holy fuck.

He is not shaming his kid or talking shit about him. Your reaction is fucking bonkers.

Kangi

I'll be sure to never have children because they might, under my own permission, screw around with one of my video games.

It's easier to say "no" and the child will have fun doing something else.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Have a funny feeling that the kid will know not to take a humorous article super seriously.

cyba89

L O L
O
L

Legendary post
10/10

I'll be sure to never have children because they might, under my own permission, screw around with one of my video games.

I'm going to call you an idiot for expressing such warped logic

because for some inexplicable reason I'm taking your obvious joke post on the internet way too goddamn seriously

- signed, half of the people posting in this thread

Catvoca

Banned

brdddsopet.gif

Servbot24

Banned

Oh my god.

jroc74

This is why you should be allowed to beat your kids.

And i'm specifically stating that the scenario of losing all your shit is 100% preventable if you actually play WITH them or SHOW them what not to do so that you don't lose all your work that you obviously felt was valuable enough to play for so long.

At 4 years old, that might be a tall order.

Then there is this:

So here’s what my son does: he turns on the game. He doesn’t load the most recent save. Oh no. He scrolls through the saves and finds the one with the coolest image — usually a save near Death Mountain with lava and shit ‘cause my son loves lava.

He then proceeds to overwrite the last six saves by jaunting all over the map on his merry way, firing Guardian arrows and accumulating soup ladles.

This is why in games where I can I do duplicate saves or save waaaaay near the bottom. Multiple pages away from the top if I can do it manually.

Betty

Banned

I like the idea that the article does a number on the kid so we can look forward to the followup article in 15 or so years

"How my son became an alcoholic because of Zelda: Breath of the wild"

I dont think anyone is saying its the only thing keeping them happy. Maybe its one thing that makes them happy at that moment..

I think what we are saying is....its just a game....

It really shouldnt be that serious if you are a parent.

I am a parent and it typically isn't that serious. It's yes or no and my kid moves on with life without issue in either case.

Worst come to worst, he gets his own save.

Sounds like he needs to learn to say no to his kid. If I were the parent and this seriously bothered me, I would tell the kid he had to play on his own account. I think that could be explained to the kid in a reasonable way.

jroc74

It's easier to say "no" and the child will have fun doing something else.

Thats one choice.

Another is to realize its just a game. And say ok, and not trip about it. Try to minimize any damage and go from there.

Is one choice worse than the other?

Or are they just choices....

I am a parent and it typically isn't that serious. It's yes or no and my kid moves on with life without issue in either case.

Worst come to worst, he gets his own save.

Exactly.

The vibe I get from some here is its no choice in the matter. Its no, hell no, oh hell naw, etc.

Kaizer

Banned

Nah, but someone should save this post for him to read someday. I'm sure he'll get a laugh out of this internet stranger letting him know his Dad doesn't love him lol

Do people seriously mean it when they say "Don't have kids!". Like, would you have wanted your parents to think the same? And why not make him a different user profile?

I do. My parents may have felt differently, but I have no desire for kids. Kids are the absolute worst; they can ruin literally anything. No thanks.

This response is probably the only thing in this thread worse than my curmudgeonly hatred for children.

Top Bottom