• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La-Mulana: Steam Edition |OT| It's Like A 2D Dark Souls

zkylon

zkylewd
man thing is I'm really bad at sidescrollers, so I need any handicap I can get

but yeah I got no feedback for going into "hard mode" or whatever, no skulls like miamiwesker mentioned or anything, so I guess you just get the achievement for reading it once

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Where should my bloody ass go after finishing off the snake boss at Gate of Guidance? The Giant Graveyard?

Nohar

This game is hell. In both a good and a bad way. Some puzzles are rather clever and interesting, others are just hair-pulling, completly insane and/or are major Guide Dang It ones. Overall, it's a good game, even maybe a great game, but some parts are just ridiculous. The game is difficult, but I actually like this part. It's really just some puzzles and hidden rooms which get on my nerves.

Firebrand

So been mostly enjoying this while retaining my stubborn insistence on not looking anything up. My Steam time is nearing 30 hours... save file says a bit over 10... only 3 bosses down. Forget Dark Souls, this is Laytonvania. :p Finally managed to beat my Capra Demon of this game,
____Zu____
and I got an achievement for beating it without a certain item... well, that explains why it was so difficult! Took me two dozen tries or so. I suspected I needed find an item like it, but I've yet to find where (and don't you dare spoil it for me! :p). Been tempted to look things up in wikis many times, but as the riddles are a large part of what the game is about I personally feel like I'd just ruin the, er, fun, for myself.

I feel a problem with mixing the riddles with the item gating is that when I can't solve a particular riddle I don't know if I'm just being daft, or if I don't even have the items needed to solve it. For instance, I still haven't figured out one of the very first riddles in Guidance,
"Offer 3 lights to heaven", there's one of those yellow discs on the wall I suppose it's related to that.
One of these days... While browsing the first pages of the PDF manual it did say that one could solve all the riddles in the first level before moving on, I wonder if that's really true... Feels pretty good on those rare occasions I do figure something out, like the
"oh noes glyph reader doesn't work"
one... not that that one has helped me in any way yet. :p

But yeah, fantastic value at the ~€2,80. Might buy some gift copies the next time it's on sale and gift to people who could use a little less sanity in their lives.

Looking forward to the sequel, if I ever make it through to the end of this one.

Firebrand

After many, many, many hours of not being able to progress further, I finally found the way forward. mcnultycryingwithhappiness.gif (I couldn't find it!)

I didn't realize Little Brother's Shop was a door after spending so much time amongst the other inactive snake twin doorways in the twin labs via moonlight temple / inferno...
Too bad uncle Gameboy in the village had just spoiled me in an email, probably due to me doing things out of order,
he was talking about some alternate world I've yet to discover

I love this game when I don't hate it.

I hate trying to solve puzzles when I'm not entirely sure if I have all the tools necessary to solve the puzzle. This game is exactly that 100 times. You need a to get b, b to get c, c to get d, d to get f....etc, and its not simple obvious traversial things like you would find in Metroid or Zelda. This is obscure stuff, causing you to work at puzzles you can't solve yet, and skip puzzles you can solve.

So yeah I'm using a guide. Still enjoying it.

Firebrand

Ugh. After being stuck on the
Endless Corridor number puzzle
for hours and hours I got fed up and decided to look for at least a hint, maybe there were restrictions on walking directions and such... was utterly perplexed to find a partial solution that was identical to the three-four primary solution I had been trying, over and over... turns out I had gotten
2 and 4 mixed up somehow when reading them from my character sheet I had had handwritten off the a few pixel high characters in text boxes

A bit funny was that I actually solved on my very first try by accident when just walking around randomly in the room, and then reloaded to reset the gates.

So pissed now, but relieved to be able to continue. :p Getting that
Twin Statue
should open up a lot of places I've already done work on.

edit: Aaah. Everytime I think I'm closer to finding
this "Golden Key", the thingy to put in the moon/sun/stars circle, or the thing to activate the crosses of light
, I end up needing one of them, hah. Currently
at the top of the Verdani tower, trying to get into the Chamber of Birth. Dumb statues blocking my path. I dislike you.
Ran around the
Dimensional Corridor
for a while, but that didn't result in much. *grumble*

Been playing the game for a while (4 hours), the first area wasn't too hard (except
for the insivible path
)

The second area had me for like an hour just running randomly, especially the sun/star/moon crap. Those puzzles are a bit cryptic, but I gues that's the point lol.

Darkmakaimura

Any new news on the sequel?

I kind of gave up for awhile although I should go back in. I'm finding the game to a bit frustrating. Having played Fortune Summoners and hearing people say how frustrating that game was, it's a breeze compared to La-Mulana. I don't even know where to go next. I just finished off that one large statue with the chain arm (Sakit). I don't know where to go from there.

Darkmakaimura

It's only 3 bucks on Steam right now. Anyone who was debating getting it, now's your chance.
Yup.

I quit for awhile but recently jumped back in. Great game but you really spend A LOT of time backtracking and exploring to the point of tedium unless you use a guide. Most of the time you do not really have any idea where to go next. Also, like everyone said, is hard game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Currently 90% off on Steam, for a measly $1.49. Come on folks, don't pass this up. Even if you end up rage quitting, you'll have at least experienced this awesome game a bit for very cheap!

ChronoX

I've had my eyes on this game for some time now so for $1.50 I definitely grabbed it. The music seems okay so far but the character jumps are really bad and the controls feel unresponsive :/

I've had my eyes on this game for some time now so for $1.50 I definitely grabbed it. The music seems okay so far but the character jumps are really bad and the controls feel unresponsive :/

The jumping is very inertia based. You can change directions fast by touching a wall, otherwise it is pretty hard to change directions if that's what is bothering you. While not as big on inertia as this game, many mario games are like that.

Mulbruk keeps telling me about the Fairy Queen and the key fairy, and some puzzle I wasn't able to figure out. I'm drawing a blank here...

Picked this up in the winter sale. I remember reading something about there being an item that you should make sure you get before doing something else early on (sorry to be so vague) because it is important and missable. Any info?

Probably the Holy Grail. It allows you to warp between save points so that's pretty damn essential. It's not hard to find though.
On my first blind run, I was 1/3 through the game before I found it. >.<

Could've gotten it in the first 20 min and save me time running around like an idiot without warps.

Randam

cant you leave the game without alt + f4?

and are there dead ends you cant get out of and have to reload, or do i have to look harder?

Glix

Holy shit, this game is amazing!!! I am playing through for the first time. The music is great and I love the pixel art. I am not letting myself use ANY Faqs, or any help at all. It is making it so so so rewarding. I just beat my second boss,
Bahamut
. Well worth the bullets (3).

Randam

dont enjoying at all.

basically watching a let's play, stop the video, play the part i saw and then keep watching.

Glix

dont enjoying at all.

basically watching a let's play, stop the video, play the part i saw and then keep watching.

Thats why you aren't enjoying it. A large part of the enjoyment of the game is the satisfaction you feel when you figure out a puzzle or how to beat a boss.

I just took down the
guy you fight in the mine cart
and yelled out loud (in my office!)

I'm stuck again now, and frustrated, but that frustration will make it all the more rewarding when I figure out what to do next.

Sub boss in the lava place is driving me CRAZY EDIT - fuck that! Found Chakram in the dark and it OWNED him

Randam

well, i started doint it, because i wasnt enjoying it from the beginning.

idk, i like puzzle games, ane love dark souls.
but this is just to open and to much searching for the next thing to do/place to go.

btw.: how long is the game?
tha LP i am watching has over 70 parts and i am at part 22.

ErichWK

How long is it? My final timer said it took like 25 or 30 hours.. But with how many times I died, I am sure it was around 50.

Garcia

What a fantastic game this is. I'm surprised by the balance between exploration, action and danger, it just constantly hits the right spots every single time. I started it an hour ago and couldn't stop playing until just now that I got killed once more, lol.

Also, shouldn't it be the other way around? Dark Souls/Demon Souls being 3D versions of La Mulana.

The game is really hard but so enjoyable.

Davey Cakes

After putting upwards of 30 hours into this game, I sort of gave up. My progression was rather uneven as I did things in a really weird order and I was forced to use a walkthrough a couple of times just to understand what certain items did and where they should be used.

It's sort of a blur now. I'm afraid to go back because I feel like I'll just be lost. Contemplating starting a fresh new file because the La-Mulana 2 thread sort of got me in the mood.

Obviously I would progress much more quickly knowing what I do, but I'd still do a much better job of tracking clues.

Davey Cakes

So I did end up starting a new game.

A little over three hours in and I've taken down the first five bosses. Haven't gotten the mirror yet.

In my first playthrough I did everything in a bit of a wacky order that threw me off. For example, using the ankh from the Gate of Guidance to defeat the boss from the Temple of the Sun first. I mean, that's the beauty of games like this but it really messed me up previously.

Now I'm just doing each area one at a time and beating bosses in order with their respective ankhs. That helps me track my progression better.

llehuty

FUUUCK, I just discovered I have activated Hard Mode. And I'm so bad at this type of games, I'm screwed. Hope I can finish the game with not many headaches.

BTW, is there any natural way of going through different areas? I'm right now moving by intuition: Guidance 1st and now Mausoleum of the giants, am I doing it right?

BTW, is there any natural way of going through different areas? I'm right now moving by intuition: Guidance 1st and now Mausoleum of the giants, am I doing it right?
That works for the first 4 areas, and mostly recommended.
Guidance, Mausoleum, Temple of Sun, Spring in Sky.

After that, it's a clusterfuck.

Firebrand

50-50 hours without help.
and i think about 30 with.
50 hours without help seems incredibly conservative, hah. When I play Metroidvanias I like to explore things out of order whenever I can to find treasure, but I don't think it did me any favors in this game (not that it's immediately apparent what the natural order is, until you figure out certain symbols). I think I was trying to solve puzzles in Twin Labs before I even had 3 bosses down.

Stopped playing a long time ago as I understandably got a bit burned out on the game. I guess I should just use a guide and wrap it up at some point, I did enjoy it for the most part. Well, a large part at least. Decided tonight to look up what the hell the Crosses of Light were about...
say what. It's not an entirely terrible idea but the hints about them gave me the impression that they were some sort of portal, or possibly compressing front/backs into one field

I guess some puzzles make a little more sense if you read page 19 of the manual, I barely touched the manual though as it spoils all the items which is a big no-no for me.

Going to be interesting to see what the sequel is like.

Hesemonni

Banned
FUUUCK, I just discovered I have activated Hard Mode. And I'm so bad at this type of games, I'm screwed. Hope I can finish the game with not many headaches.
This is me right now. I'm kinda thinking of restarting, but then again I doubt I'd manage to beat Viy since I can barely keep up for two rounds against him. Elmac was a bitch and the battle felt like it lasted for years tho'.

Davey Cakes

Trying not to use walkthroughs. Only going on my previous knowledge of the game and any notes I take along the way. Obviously I complete some tasks by remembering how to complete them from my previous save file, but still try to identify the logic of the solutions as if I was doing everything in the correct order.

Interestingly enough, I can't for the life of me remember where the Serpent Staff is. I remember on my last incomplete playthrough I got it even earlier than the mini doll and pepper shaker.

Basically everything fell into place nicely until I ventured into the mirror worlds. At that point any illusion of linearity kind of went out the window.

Garcia

I tried not to use any walkthroughs but the obtuse nature of the later puzzles is detrimental to the fun. I have checked at least 10 times a guide at some point and most of the time I realized I wouldn't have found the solution on my own.

Toxi

Banned
Sorry to bump an old community thread, but I started playing the remake today and am really enjoying it so far. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, though I might have to ask for help if I get really stuck and can't progress. Got the Boots of Hermes and am exploring the Mausoleum of the Giants. Haven't encountered any of the Guardians yet, nor do I have the Red Jewel to free them from their prisons.

I love the approach to information this game has. I'm writing down everything I read because it's both useful and fascinating. The "story" is given in bits and pieces like Metroid Prime. From what I can tell,
the Mother (La Mulana?), some sort of godlike figure, fell to Earth and created nine giants to build a floating tower and carry her back to the sky. The brothers pumped water into the tower to make it fly but perished in the process, and they also seemed to turn against each other, so they never finished. The water fills the ruins and was poisoned somehow.

My favorite moment so far has been accidentally finding an invisible bridge in the Gate of Guidance. For a moment I wasn't sure if the game had glitched or not.

Top Bottom