• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La-Mulana: Steam Edition |OT| It's Like A 2D Dark Souls

ScOULaris

That's it. The minecart boss has broken me. I was enjoying the game, frustrations and all, until I got to this abomination of boss design. I've tried pelting him with shurikens. I've tried mashing the knife in his face. There's no hope.

Fuck this game. It's a piece of shit cunt.

wutwutwut

That's it. The minecart boss has broken me. I was enjoying the game, frustrations and all, until I got to this abomination of boss design. I've tried pelting him with shurikens. I've tried mashing the knife in his face. There's no hope.

I used the revolver for that.

Davey Cakes

Just use the pistol. It's costly but it makes for an easy win.

The only penalty I can think of is that you only get six shots, and then it costs a ridiculous amount of money to buy more.
Once you get the ability to guarantee item fairies (which give you more money), it's less of an issue to save up enough. I have 3 full loads of bullets.

Dunkelgrau

Just found this thread. Today every developer says, that his game is like Dark Souls (La-Mulana, Shovel Knight, Zombi U, Ghost of a Tale and so on). La-Mulana looks interesting to me and it is low priced, too. But I do not have the time to play all those games.

What do the die hard Dark Souls-Fans think? Should I try this one?

Ah yes, Ellmac can be pretty tough. The first time I beat him after many attempts (my pre-Steam playthrough), I used the shuriken method. It's tough, trying to figure out the correct track levels and exact timing to attack. It takes a large stock of shuriken and good whip skills for when you eventually run out, and I think I even had to go out and get another sacred orb just to survive long enough to use all of my shuriken.

The second time I beat Ellmac (post-Steam run), I decided to explore the ruins more before facing him. Had a ton of health and a wide variety of equipment. I also stocked up on shuriken again, though that turned out to be unnecessary. The
Axe+Silver Shield
combo tore through Ellmac on my first attempt.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry

He's not that hard.

Has 2 attacks. The charge won't hit you if you're at the right border of the screen and he telegraphs the fireballs. The randomness of the tracks is the hardest element in that fight, you gotta wait for a high rail between attacks to get some safe hits in. He takes ~18 with the knife.

If you're really desperate you could gun him, but that's lame.

Oh, and if I were you I'd teleport immediately back to the village after beating him.
The ominous timer does exactly what you think it does.

Yeah I can't handle him without the pistol even after beating him like 20 times. I squeaked through with the knife once.

Viewtify

Banned
]blacky[;57397694 said:
Just found this thread. Today every developer says, that his game is like Dark Souls (La-Mulana, Shovel Knight, Zombi U, Ghost of a Tale and so on). La-Mulana looks interesting to me and it is low priced, too. But I do not have the time to play all those games.

What do the die hard Dark Souls-Fans think? Should I try this one?

Everything getting compared to Dark Souls these days is getting kind of silly. La-Mulana predates Dark Souls by years and the two are hardly alike other than difficulty. Most of La-Mulanas difficulty is due to the puzzles. The bosses are also challenging, and I personally think some of them are harder than any boss in Dark Souls (at least on Hard Mode).

La-Mulana is definitely worth checking out if you have the patience for it. People say Dark Souls doesn't hold your hand... just wait till you try La-Mulana!

This last weekend we threw a party for both the NIGORO 6 Year Anniversary and the PLAYISM 2 Year Anniversary.
As a result, the entire NIGORO team was able to gather in one place for the first time in years.

The main event was @doll_coppelia playing through the latter half of La Mulana....WITH HIS FEET.
He was entirely too close to beating the last boss. Heh

muysvo.jpg

10xzs.jpg

The NIGORO guys also showed off something they have been working on in secret since La-Mulana launched on Steam. Well not completely in secret. Let's just say they weren't foolin' around in April! ^^

Mitama

Anyone know how to get past Zu
(the time-freezing bird)? I have the Lamp of Time but it doesn't seem to have any effect on him...

Maxrunner

Yeah the game is brutal, and in two ways. First because of the whole size of the areas and then the bosses....

Anyone know how to get past Zu
(the time-freezing bird)? I have the Lamp of Time but it doesn't seem to have any effect on him...
You have to use the Lamp exactly when he uses his freeze ability. Hit him once and he should go into a corner and counter with his freeze ability, then you just time it and counter freeze him. It took me a few restarts but I eventually got it.

I'm keeping on plugging away at this game. My Steam clock says 56 hours, in-game probably half that. I used the walkthrough for hints a ton on the Chamber of Birth, that place is just too obscure, and this late in the game when things open up it is just impossible to figure out WHERE they did.

I keep dying at the third form of Tiamat. I am as powered up as I can get, so I just have to try harder I guess!

ScOULaris

Yeah the game is brutal, and in two ways. First because of the whole size of the areas and then the bosses....

The exploration is tough but doable with enough time. The bosses, on the other hand, simply exploit the main character's limited attack range to an unfair degree. They're ridiculous.

I finally got to the final boss. I had to use the walkthrough for all the mantra stuff, no way I was going to take the time for all that, insane! I think I may just give up here, I got to her fifth form but I hate bosses. The only reason I persevered through the others is to experience the rest of the game, but now I'm at the end....hmmm. What an absolutely amazing game though, even despite the general impossibility/obtuseness of the puzzles. I didn't mind that though, because there's SO MANY of them, and I figured out so many of them on my own, that I didn't mind using a walkthrough for others.

ErichWK

The final boss is pretty tough..I still think Viy is harder. I recommend using the gun on the 3rd form (i think it's the weird tentacle form..it's been a while) Only takes 3 shots i think. Luckily the very last form has a specific pattern with very strong tells...just be patient!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This last weekend we threw a party for both the NIGORO 6 Year Anniversary and the PLAYISM 2 Year Anniversary.
As a result, the entire NIGORO team was able to gather in one place for the first time in years.

The main event was @doll_coppelia playing through the latter half of La Mulana....WITH HIS FEET.
He was entirely too close to beating the last boss. Heh

muysvo.jpg

10xzs.jpg

The NIGORO guys also showed off something they have been working on in secret since La-Mulana launched on Steam. Well not completely in secret. Let's just say they weren't foolin' around in April! ^^

To add to this, we put up a blog post today of our 2nd anniversary party (but really, it was NIGORO's 6th anniversary party).

http://www.playism.tv/blog/?p=259

The post also highlights the April Fool's joke that NIGORO made, that they're actually making into a full game:

Oxf4Fr2.jpg

6f4qQWF.jpg

(Yep, it's Rose & Camellia crossed with La-Mulana)

Just started playing this today.

So far I'm liking it a lot, it feels like a cross between Rick Dangerous, Metroid and Faxanadu, which is great. Haven't gotten really far (haven't fought any bosses yet), but I really like the game's structure and flow. The world feels dense with mystery, puzzles, secrets and dangers throughout. I foresee spending a lot of time on this one! :)

Will check back periodically, but don't want to spoil myself much since discovering the world in games like these is a large part of the fun.

ErichWK

Good luck man. Just remember some of the clues on the stone tablets refer to puzzles you won't run into for 20 hours. Haha. Dont get discouraged. This is one of the best games ever made.

Ok, started playing again, got completely hooked, and couldn't put the game down until I beat my first boss (the one on the rails). Honestly I didn't find it that hard, I just attacked him with the whip when the rails were at head height, and sneaked in a couple of quick attacks with the flare when I ended up underneath him. It probably helped that I had explored a lot and had collected plenty of powerups before confronting him.

About the exploration: I've been to at least 9 different areas in the game so far, and despite having this feeling that I've done everything I can, after re-visiting those areas later with fresh eyes I always find something small I overlooked and manage to scrape away another layer of secrets and make some minor progress in the game.

So far, I'm absolutely loving it. I can't remember when was the last time I was immersed in a game like this. The whole world is so lovingly crafted and so dense with content, it's a true pleasure to explore.

My only minor complaint is that the controls could've used a little more polish, as there have been a few moments where I've felt slightly disadvantaged due to the game's controls and small things like the main character's inertia when being knocked back after a hit. A more detailed map would've also been nice.

Still, even with these flaws though the game still manages to achieve pure greatness. Can't wait to play it some more tomorrow =)

ErichWK

There is software you can combine that gives you a much detailed map, as in telling you where the shops are, doors, etc etc etc.

There is software you can combine that gives you a much detailed map, as in telling you where the shops are, doors, etc etc etc.

Yeah I was hoping there'd be something like that later on. Great to hear!

I've been praising this game all day at work today, even managed to convince a couple of workmates to pick it up. Games like these need (and deserve) all the support they can get.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah I was hoping there'd be something like that later on. Great to hear!

I've been praising this game all day at work today, even managed to convince a couple of workmates to pick it up. Games like these need (and deserve) all the support they can get.
We thank you for your viral support. :)

Btw, you've missed a few bosses, and you should go back to your previously finished areas to unlock them.

We thank you for your viral support. :)

Btw, you've missed a few bosses, and you should go back to your previously finished areas to unlock them.

No problem, it's my pleasure to spread the word for this awesome game =)

I finished my second boss (the Giant), and after being stuck for a while I figured I had probably missed something obvious in the earlier parts of the game.
So I shamefully checked a walkthrough for the first area (Gate of Guidance) and it seems I had indeed missed the "Disaster Puzzle".
the one where you need to hit the 4 elemental tablets in the correct order. I remember hitting one earlier and getting punished for it, which discouraged me from experimenting with it further :(

I feel kinda guilty for consulting a walkthrough, but it was still pretty early in the game so I'm sure I'll have plenty of chances to make up for it and figure things out on my own later =)

I dumped my entire weekend pretty much into this. I gets so addicting as you progress, and when you find a new item it makes you want to explore everything again. I love how much detail there is in just about every room and I'm starting to really dig the lore.

I don't feel bad about using a guide at certain parts. There have been many instances where I have no clue what to do next and I read a guide to give me a hint. The gate of illusion is notably bad, I had to use a guide there several times. There are certain puzzles that I know I never would have figured out on my own.
The one requiring you to kneel (press down) in the spot where the pot drops a single shuriken was pretty bad.

I really have to remember to save more often. Last night I made it through all
5 levels of the endless corridor and beat the two mini bosses at the end, only to let my curiosity get the better of me in the following shrine of mother and get smooshed.

I also was tearing my hair out because I screwed myself out of getting the chan whip. I struggled with the mini boss guarding it for 20 some tries, went in there and screwed up the puzzle, figured I better leave and go save, only to return and find the puzzle does not reset. All that work for pretty much nothing.

I also was tearing my hair out because I screwed myself out of getting the chan whip. I struggled with the mini boss guarding it for 20 some tries, went in there and screwed up the puzzle, figured I better leave and go save, only to return and find the puzzle does not reset. All that work for pretty much nothing.

Wait, there are puzzles that don't reset, so you basically only get one shot at them? That's awesome :) I have a habit of trying to solve all puzzles at least twice so that's something I'd probably/hopefully notice before I save, but still, it's good to know.

I must admit, I haven't felt this immersed in a game since, well, I played Dark Souls a few months back =) Definitely one of the most enjoyable experiences of this gen for me.

ElFly

Just bought the game.

There is an option to change the style of music from "Original" to ... nothing else?

What gives?

I would say that Fortune Summoners Deluxe is closer to a 2D DarkSouls than LaMulana.

While the characters and world is very Cutesy, the game mechanics aren't. In part it feels like a brawler with long uncancellable fighter controls (smash bros) with fighter like enemy AI.

Also the game has a steep death penalty, kinda like DS lite.

LaMulana is great tho

The Hermit

Man, I've been following La Mulana since they first announced it for WiiWare. I finished the PC game (original) and loved it to death.

Currently playing Fez and I was surprised that it has some of those headscratching puzzles. Solving puzzles on those games makes you feel like a goddamn genius :D

What other games ressemble this playstyle?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I would say that Fortune Summoners Deluxe is closer to a 2D DarkSouls than LaMulana.

While the characters and world is very Cutesy, the game mechanics aren't. In part it feels like a brawler with long uncancellable fighter controls (smash bros) with fighter like enemy AI.

Also the game has a steep death penalty, kinda like DS lite.

LaMulana is great tho
Never heard of this game and I looked it up. It looks a bit like Wonder Boy in Monster World, one of my all time fave games.

I hate you now.... cause I'm broke. :p

0xCA2

Just bought the game.

There's no sound, and it crashes each time I try to start a new game (right when the guy gets to the other side of the map and it fades out).

I can get the gameplay to run in "time attack" mode, but nothing else.

Does anyone know anything about this? I know my computer is fast enough to run it.

EDIT: Okay, I have no idea what I did but it just started playing sound and got to the first board.

So, it turns out I had to consult a guide again, because the previous thing I had looked up (about the "Disaster Puzzle") didn't actually help my situation at all :/
Basically, the key item I was missing all along that was blocking my flow of progress was the helmet, which I had completely missed.
although I had explored the Twin Labyrinth several times I had somehow missed the shop, probably because it looks like those other holes that you can't enter

Is there some kind of "spoiler-free progress guide" or something out there, that only tells you the absolute minimum you need to progress in the game?
I checked a GameFAQs guide when I got stuck, but ended up spoiling myself about the
axe
as well which was disappointing...

Anyway, after getting the helmet, I've had an avalanche of progress.
I've killed the first 4 bosses now, got a couple of those "seals", got the bronze mirror from those, and opened access to a couple of new areas that I look forward to exploring later :)

Oh, and I got the chain whip as well, but I screwed up the puzzle twice and had to exit+reload...
There's a glyph in the previous room that warns you that "if you screw up, it'll be forever beyond your reach", but the way it's set up it makes you think the hint refers to the previous room itself.
Pretty devilishly crafted puzzle that was; failing it the first time and seeing the whip trapped in there invoked an unmatched feeling of disappointment and emptiness.

Just bought the game.

There's no sound, and it crashes each time I try to start a new game (right when the guy gets to the other side of the map and it fades out).

I can get the gameplay to run in "time attack" mode, but nothing else.

Does anyone know anything about this? I know my computer is fast enough to run it.

EDIT: Okay, I have no idea what I did but it just started playing sound and got to the first board.

Did you try reinstalling the game from scratch? Other than that, it could be a driver issue. Do you have anything running in the background that could interfere with it (antivirus, some sound-manager thing etc.)? Sorry man, that's all I can think of :/

Anyone has any good strategies on Zu? It seems you can
use the lamp of light, but I tried it about 20 times now, when he is in a corner and he wont stop.

Any tips on how to beat him?

Just finished the boss from the Inferno Cavern, and now I feel kinda stuck again. I've revisited pretty much all areas I have access to, but haven't managed to figure out what to do next.

I just got the
room scanner software
though, so I guess I should try scanning for extra stuff in some of the "later" areas of the game first.
Also, I have a nagging feeling that I need to activate something in the room
in the Chamber of Extinction, which you fall into from the Inferno boss
, but haven't figured out what or how yet...

Ah well, guess I'll just revisit all areas again and see if I've missed anything, as usual =)

ElFly

Finished the game.

Jesus what a fucking hard game. Had to start using a walkthrough for some stuff since around the fourth area or so and after I had to go through endless corridor I could only make any progress with it. The puzzles are just plain old obtuse.

The bosses are super hard, mainly cause your weapons had so little reach that the area for hitting a boss is just a couple of pixels away from taking damage from said boss. Had to buy tons of flares to hit Mother's last form.

Still fun, just wish there was a non-obtuse-puzzles version.

Darkmakaimura

Can someone tell me.... Is there a difference between the Steam and other PC versions? I looked on the La Mulana Remake wiki and it almost seems to imply there are differences like the
big stone punching fist that comes out the doorway in one of the later levels is only in the Steam version, for instance.

thetrin

Can someone tell me.... Is there a difference between the Steam and other PC versions? I looked on the La Mulana Remake wiki and it almost seems to imply there are differences like the
big stone punching fist that comes out the doorway in one of the later levels is only in the Steam version, for instance.
No, it's the same version across all platforms.

Btw, La-Mulana is 50% off for the Steam summer sale. If you've been waiting for a sale, this is the best time to check it out!

Darkmakaimura

No, it's the same version across all platforms.

Btw, La-Mulana is 50% off for the Steam summer sale. If you've been waiting for a sale, this is the best time to check it out!
I remember reading something like the way certain traps work or how you go about avoiding them differs between versions. I think I read this on remake wikia. I can't see why the game would be different depending on the service it's on.

thetrin

I remember reading something like the way certain traps work or how you go about avoiding them differs between versions. I think I read this on remake wikia. I can't see why the game would be different depending on the service it's on.

Things changed considerably from the original and the remake, but afaik, it's the same version across all platforms. We sent literally the same files to every distributor.

Darkmakaimura

Things changed considerably from the original and the remake, but afaik, it's the same version across all platforms. We sent literally the same files to every distributor.
Confirmed by the source itself! Thanks.

thetrin

Just to let everyone know, La-Mulana trading cards are now live on Steam! GET CRAFTIN'

I just started and this game is absolutely amazing! It has almost Fez level puzzles, its a metroidvania with some dark souls thrown in. If this came out in the 16-bit days we would be talking about it now as one of the greatest games ever.

Whats this about hard mode!?!??!!? I thought I read that stone once but skulls appeared and a bunch of new enemies showed up, does that mean I am on hard???

I just started and this game is absolutely amazing! It has almost Fez level puzzles, its a metroidvania with some dark souls thrown in. If this came out in the 16-bit days we would be talking about it now as one of the greatest games ever.

Whats this about hard mode!?!??!!? I thought I read that stone once but skulls appeared and a bunch of new enemies showed up, does that mean I am on hard???

Yup, you are screwed! ^^

If you read the tablet twice then the only way to reverse the effect is to reload a save.
Definitely the most evil trap in the game!
The new enemies would be one thing, but the changes to the bosses are what really makes it insane. It's not even just extra health as their attacks get more dangerous and faster as well.

zkylon

zkylewd
hello people, just starting this out

I just got the "Once you read it, you can never go back" achievement but I think I read the tablet only once

am I screwed?

Top Bottom