• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La-Mulana: Steam Edition |OT| It's Like A 2D Dark Souls

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Alright, I finally got the Holy Grail which has helped free up some of the tedium of fruitless exploration. I am sticking to doing a no-guide run for now, but I do have one question.

In rooms with a blue treasure chest, is it always possible to somehow open it up using what is available in that room? Or are some of them impossible to solve unless you have found some important item elsewhere first?

I ask because I want to know if I should wrack my brain in every room with a treasure chest or move on and save it for later when I have the required item.

Some of them require some action in another room, and some are simply impossible to open the first time you encounter them because you lack an item or tool.

Isn't there a tablet that if you read more than once,it increases the difficulty?

Yep, but it specifically warns you never to read that tablet twice.

ScOULaris

Some of them require some action in another room, and some are simply impossible to open the first time you encounter them because you lack an item or tool.
Damn. I was kinda hoping that that wasn't the case. That makes things even harder, since I will always be unsure as to whether I'm just stumped or missing an item.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Damn. I was kinda hoping that that wasn't the case. That makes things even harder, since I will always be unsure as to whether I'm just stumped or missing an item.
That is the eternal struggle that is La-Mulana. Welcome!

For now focus on unlocking the boss of Gates of Guidnce, and then move on to Mausoleum of the Giants.

ScOULaris

For now focus on unlocking the boss of Gates of Guidnce, and then move on to Mausoleum of the Giants.
Yeah, I think I found where that boss should be, but I have literally no clue how to make them appear. So I guess it is usually recommended to beat the boss in one area before moving on to the next?

Davey Cakes

Yep, but it specifically warns you never to read that tablet twice.
In La-Mulana, there are moments where the game gives warning or tells you things that you "shouldn't do" but you actually are supposed to do.

So, in the end you can't blame people for reading the tablet twice, thinking that the game was just playing with their heads.

That tablet shows how useful it can be to use multiple saves and space them out, just in case you mess up somewhere and don't realize it until you've already saved.

In La-Mulana, there are moments where the game gives warning or tells you things that you "shouldn't do" but you actually are supposed to do.

So, in the end you can't blame people for reading the tablet twice, thinking that the game was just playing with their heads.

That tablet shows how useful it can be to use multiple saves and space them out, just in case you mess up somewhere and don't realize it until you've already saved.

I saw that tablet, and I was kinda wondering at that point...does the game autosave your file into hard mode the moment you read it twice, or can you just quit and reload after?

Davey Cakes

I saw that tablet, and I was kinda wondering at that point...does the game autosave your file into hard mode the moment you read it twice, or can you just quit and reload after?
There's no autosave in that form. If you pass a Grail Tablet the game will quicksave which will lock it in until you reset the game and re-load your full save from the menu. It's only if you activate "hard mode" then do a full save of the game (because you don't know better) that you're screwed.

I did it myself and had to go back to one of my earlier save slots, but it was only about an hour or so of progress that I made up rather quickly.

ScOULaris

Alright, I managed to figure out how to unlock the Gates of Guidance boss and vanquished it. I didn't notice anything unlocked in the first area by doing so, nor did I gain any abilities or items from defeating the boss. I guess I'll just take your advice and move on to the Mausoleum next.
3AQmK.gif

thetrin

Certainly not blaming anyone. I was just letting Sajjaja know which one it is so he knows to avoid it.

Goldmund

Yeah, I think I found where that boss should be, but I have literally no clue how to make them appear. So I guess it is usually recommended to beat the boss in one area before moving on to the next?
I think you can take on the first four guardians in any order (the later ones more or less follow a sequence). Your Ankh Jewel is good for any of them. You should try to get the Sacred Orbs in all areas you have access to first, your secondary objective is to get the weapons and sub-weapons, where possible. Then take on the bosses from, in your opinion, easiest to hardest.

Sajjaja

I'm so lost...... I have no idea what to do..... I just got the Ankh in the Gate of Guidance and I have been wandering around for the past few hours not knowing what to do. Theres a chest idk how to open in the Pit of the Holy Grail and that dont know how to open.... I don't know anything D:

EDIT: Oh my god... I just realized I played this for 6 hours...... how is that even..... I don't even..... :S
EDIT 2: REALLY? THAT'S HOW TO YOU GET THE HOLY GRAIL? THAT IS SO RANDOM.

So, I took a week away from this game to play some other stuff....I'm still stuck on the 5th boss, the big eyeball. I looked up a walkthrough, I think his name is Viy? How can I cheese this boss or somehow defeat him? I'm finding it really irritating. I have about 220 something health, axe, chain whip, those spears. I even looked up Youtube videos but they all seem to be of Wii versions where the bosses seem to be way easier. I was loving this game....please help me get back the love!

Leezard

So, I took a week away from this game to play some other stuff....I'm still stuck on the 5th boss, the big eyeball. I looked up a walkthrough, I think his name is Viy? How can I cheese this boss or somehow defeat him? I'm finding it really irritating. I have about 220 something health, axe, chain whip, those spears. I even looked up Youtube videos but they all seem to be of Wii versions where the bosses seem to be way easier. I was loving this game....please help me get back the love!

I bought the gun to beat him. 6 rounds of lead and he was dead.

ScOULaris

I ended up basically running out of ideas for the Mausoleum of Giants, so I decided to take a break from that area and hit up the Spring in the Sky zone. It's probably not the best way of going about things, but I lose patience after being stuck for so long. It's frustrating, for sure, but I will admit that the satisfaction of finally figuring out the next step is mostly worth it.

ScOULaris

Alright, Mausoleum of Giants boss is down. Moving on to Temple of the Sun, which I assume is the next appropriate area. I have already checked out the water area and the Endless Corridor, but I hit progress blocks in both of them.

Is it safe to assume that the preferred order of areas is indicated by their position on the warp-select wheel when using the Holy Grail?

Excited to finally play this, do find it amusing how nonsensical the steam description of the game is though. Is there any chance of this ever coming to the Vita by the way? Also, are there any other Playism games worth checking out?

Edit: In the graphical options, what are the filters about? Any of them worth using, and is there an unlockable graphics option? For the graphics tab there's "original" and nothing else.

Stuck on the stupid
mine-cart
boss. There doesn't seem to be a trick to it besides "get lucky". Especially when he does his lunge move. Theres no signs or anything that he is going to do it. The fireballs I don't care much about.

Goldmund

Stuck on the stupid
mine-cart
boss. There doesn't seem to be a trick to it besides "get lucky". Especially when he does his lunge move. Theres no signs or anything that he is going to do it. The fireballs I don't care much about.
If you have the funds, there's always the gun.

thetrin

Excited to finally play this, do find it amusing how nonsensical the steam description of the game is though. Is there any chance of this ever coming to the Vita by the way? Also, are there any other Playism games worth checking out?

Edit: In the graphical options, what are the filters about? Any of them worth using, and is there an unlockable graphics option? For the graphics tab there's "original" and nothing else.

If you're interested in more games from the developers of La-Mulana (NIGORO), check out their site: http://nigoro.jp/en/games/

If you're more interested in more games from us, Playism, the publisher and distributor of the game, we have quite a few really awesome indie games coming out on the English Playism site very soon. Helen's Mysterious castle, Unholy Heights, and One-Way Heroics are all games that we've been working on quite a bit, and will be releasing for purchase really soon.

You can also check out what we already have on the service, here: http://www.playism-games.com

Anyone knows if you can play it in a "full" fullscreen? I changed the resolution to 1600*900 to play it on my tv, but somehow the Game itself is in like 640*480 with some kind of frame, similar to the old Gameboy-Games you could play on the TV with the Gameboy-thing for the SNES.

hunnies28

Axe and patience is all you need :)

thetrin

Anyone knows if you can play it in a "full" fullscreen? I changed the resolution to 1600*900 to play it on my tv, but somehow the Game itself is in like 640*480 with some kind of frame, similar to the old Gameboy-Games you could play on the TV with the Gameboy-thing for the SNES.

No. That would impact gameplay (you would see more than the current room you're in, which would change how the game plays immensely)

ScOULaris

Change the full screen mode from "Dot by Dot" to "Maintain Aspect Ratio," if you haven't already.

F!ReW!Re

Well I kinda just stumbled into this thread and never heard of this game before.
I think I'll just buy it tonight and dive right in.
I've only read the story overview on the OP's post so I'm going in without any knowledge of what to expect!

Wish me luck!

So this version is actually harder than the wii one? Are there any other changes of note?

Information
Thanks for all of that, meant to separate the two in my post and ask for both but just wrote Playism. Will google all of the games you mentioned upon getting back from exams.

I eventually beat Viy with a ton of axe hits and two bullets. a compromise I had to make, I was just sick of him. I love this game so much though. I'd say about 80% of the puzzles I understand, only thing I finally started using a walkthrough on is getting a nudge on just where the heck to go next. But I made it through both the Tower of Illusion and Endless Corridor without hints so I feel pretty good!

ScOULaris

Okay, I have another question for those of you who are more experienced than myself. There are times when I will enter a store and see an item or weapon that I haven't purchased yet and it will show as being sold out. Does this mean that I missed my chance at purchasing that item, or does it simply mean that I have yet to unlock a certain condition that allows me to purchase it later? I am really hoping that it is the latter.

For the Guidance Gate, what does the switch in the room with the first snakedudes open? I heard a click but couldn't find anything it revealed. To clarify I'm
talking about the one you get to via the invisible paths after going up the elevator

Davey Cakes

Okay, I have another question for those of you who are more experienced than myself. There are times when I will enter a store and see an item or weapon that I haven't purchased yet and it will show as being sold out. Does this mean that I missed my chance at purchasing that item, or does it simply mean that I have yet to unlock a certain condition that allows me to purchase it later? I am really hoping that it is the latter.
Some items will say "sold out" until you find them elsewhere, usually from a treasure chest.

Basically, you have to "discover" an item before it goes on sale in a shop.

ScOULaris

Alright, I'm confused and a little pissed off now. After running around for a while unable to make progress, I decided to make my way through the
Twin Labyrinth
through the entrance in the
Inferno area
. After suffering a few irritating cheap deaths in this area, I finally came across the save tablet. So I read it, then saved, then teleported back to the surface for some quick healing.

Much to my chagrin, after I healed and pulled up the Holy Grail menu to warp back to the labyrinth area, it wasn't an option on the wheel. Unless I am missing something here, the wheel is "full" and won't accept any more warp points.

Please someone tell me that this isn't the case and that there's a second "page" of warp points that I can somehow access. If I can't warp back, this might be a breaking point for me.

Mitama

You need additional software to warp to that point (there's more like it). Once you get the software, you'll be able to warp back to that mark (if you've examined it).

Also, don't worry about it, you shouldn't be in this area yet, continue elsewhere.

ScOULaris

You need additional software to warp to that point (there's more like it). Once you get the software, you'll be able to warp back to that mark (if you've examined it).

Also, don't worry about it, you shouldn't be in this area yet, continue elsewhere.

Hmm... damn. I am at a point where I'm honestly feeling like there's nowhere else to go. I have scoured all of my unlocked areas to no end. I could fight the Temple of the Sun boss if I had an Ankh Jewel to use. I found the cross in that area, but I can't find a jewel anywhere.

So far the only full-on bosses that I've beaten are the first one and the Mausoleum one. I also beat a sort of sub-boss creature in the water area.

Eh, I think I'm done with this game. The bosses hit boxes, both offense and defense, are just terrible.

Mitama

Hmm... damn. I am at a point where I'm honestly feeling like there's nowhere else to go. I have scoured all of my unlocked areas to no end. I could fight the Temple of the Sun boss if I had an Ankh Jewel to use. I found the cross in that area, but I can't find a jewel anywhere.

So far the only full-on bosses that I've beaten are the first one and the Mausoleum one. I also beat a sort of sub-boss creature in the water area.

If you've defeated the sub-boss in the water area then you probably have that sphere that allows you to take no damage from water, right? Look around in the lower parts of the water area, you should be able to find a huge cog and a drain in the room below it. Destroy the cog and the water will flood a certain part of The Temple of the Sun. Follow that path and enter the dark room, go to the right, jump up and hit the circular block a couple of times, then go back outside. With this item (the Bronze Mirror), you will be able to access the backside areas of the areas where you've defeated the boss. In the Mausoleum of the Giants, it's to the left of the save point. You won't be able to access the one in the first area for quite some time so just ignore that one.

ScOULaris

If you've defeated the sub-boss in the water area then you probably have that sphere that allows you to take no damage from water, right? Look around in the lower parts of the water area, you should be able to find a huge cog and a drain in the room below it. Destroy the cog and the water will flood a certain part of The Temple of the Sun. Follow that path and enter the dark room, go to the right, jump up and hit the circular block a couple of times, then go back outside. With this item (the Bronze Mirror), you will be able to access the backside areas of the areas where you've defeated the boss. In the Mausoleum of the Giants, it's to the left of the save point. You won't be able to access the one in the first area for quite some time so just ignore that one.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't want to use a guide for this game, but I guess I don't mind using advice like this when I'm absolutely stuck to the point of frustration. I'll go destroy that cog and see what I can figure out from there.

ErichWK

Advice on the internet is acceptable! It's kind of likr when we were kids in the NES era and got help from our friends in the schoolyard. Don't let this game break you! La Mulana is a bitch of a demon temple, but defeating her is a great achievement. With help Or without. The crazy boss fights make it worth it alone.

Eh, I think I'm done with this game. The bosses hit boxes, both offense and defense, are just terrible.

You're not still stuck on the minecart boss, are you?

On another note, I finally beat mausoleum, AND killed the twin labyrinth miniboss without any special items. It's crazy how so much progress is made after being stuck for such a long time lol.

thetrin

Thanks for the tips. I didn't want to use a guide for this game, but I guess I don't mind using advice like this when I'm absolutely stuck to the point of frustration. I'll go destroy that cog and see what I can figure out from there.

Using a guide and asking a friend are very different. I wouldn't count it. As ErichWK said, it's pretty reminiscent of my childhood, where I used to get stuck in a game, and wait until the next day at school to ask my friends if they knew how to beat what I was stuck on.

You're not still stuck on the minecart boss, are you?

On another note, I finally beat mausoleum, AND killed the twin labyrinth miniboss without any special items. It's crazy how so much progress is made after being stuck for such a long time lol.
No, I beat him. I'm at the Mausoleum of the Giants boss. His weak spot is so small yet most of every pixel of him seems to damage me. I got his mask off once then immediately died.

ScOULaris

No, I beat him. I'm at the Mausoleum of the Giants boss. His weak spot is so small yet most of every pixel of him seems to damage me. I got his mask off once then immediately died.
Just blast him in the face with shurikens from the platform. That's one of the easier fights in the game.

ScOULaris

So any tips for the minecart boss other than buying the gun?

I made the mistake of using the gun early on in the game, not realizing that ammo would be prohibitively expensive from then on.

I've tried stocking up on 79 shurikens, but even that's not doing the trick. I try to time each and every throw to land, and I end up connecting with about 75% of them. Even then, I still either die or run out of shurikens before he goes down. I've tried about six times now.

Leezard

I made the mistake of using the gun early on in the game, not realizing that ammo would be prohibitively expensive from then on.

I've tried stocking up on 79 shurikens, but even that's not doing the trick. I try to time each and every throw to land, and I end up connecting with about 75% of them. Even then, I still either die or run out of shurikens before he goes down. I've tried about six times now.

I just went exploring other areas, finding the Silver Shield and some more sacred orbs to make the boss easier. I think you can actually find the Axe as well, which makes the boss much easier.

I came back with the axe. Sweet, sweet revenge once you learn how to use it on that boss. Second half is still sketchy as hell though without subweapons.

Have you found the knife yet?

Yes, but how would I make good use of it in this fight? Its attack range is so small, and you have to hit him right in his fireball-shooting mouth. I have just been hanging back and throwing shurikens at him.

You have to do 2 things first (which might mean 1 or 2 rounds of experimental dying):

1) check/memorize the knife range when the cart is high. Contact with him causes tons of damage so you probably want to avoid that.

2) Anticipating the pattern of the tracks. It usually switches between low-mid-high, but not quite in that order. But it usually goes through all 3 before repeating another pattern. Try to anticipate the highs.

So after that, you move forward when you think the cart will reach a "high" point, and in between his attacks since there's a delay after each one. Move into range of his face, and mash like a beast. As soon as you see the tracks ending, drive the cart back into the far right to avoid any of his charging shenanigans. Depending on how awesome your mashing skills are, it could be over in about 3-4 rounds of knifing. Heck, if you have good luck the fight can be over in less than 20 seconds lol.

That was my strategy anyways. I did the fight 3 times in a row with it and it works pretty well if you can get the hang of keeping track of the boss and the track patterns.

Yuterald

Man, I want to play/like this game SO badly, but it's just too damn cryptic! I bought this on Playism when it first came out and only got so far with it. I played for hours and only discovered one boss. As most have experienced, I found myself wandering back and forth trying to figure shit out only to discover new locations with no clue as to what to do in them, lol! I then re-bought the game on Wii but I have yet to boot it up because of my fear of another attempt not amounting to anything. I JUST redeemed my free Steam copy the other day and I'm SO tempted to give the game a whirl again, but that voice in the back of my head is telling me to not bother.

This has to be one of the most frustrating game in existence for me. Everything about it is appealing to me. It's the kind of shit that I look for in games, yet at the same time the extreme cryptic-like nature of the game bums me out to no end. Is this game even possible with a guide? I really don't want to use a guide if I get stuck again (and I know I will), but it seems inevitable to even enjoy (finish) the game. So conflicted! =/

Top Bottom