• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La-Mulana: Steam Edition |OT| It's Like A 2D Dark Souls

KNT-Zero

I'm waiting for my Groupees key impatiently!!

Could have downloaded it directly from the bundle, but the beauty of playing it on Steam is showing it off to friends and get the buzz going :p

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Are saves from the gog version compatible if I share them or will they fuck up their game?

Well I bought it.

2 hours in. I guess it's like Dark Souls in the fact that it's way less hard then everyone hyperbolically claims it is.

I know I'll need a quick wiki or two here and there to just nudge me in the right direction though (you'll want to head in this general direction next, and look around to try and solve this puzzle probably). Anyone have a good link to one of those? A spoiler free hint guide that doesn't tell you how to really solve anything, but just quick hints on a direction you should be heading? I don't have all the time in the world to endlessly explore dead ends.

Alexios

2 hours in and you already know it's not that hard? How many bosses have you beaten?

The difficulty is in figuring things out too, which you want to skip past.

Although the original is harder still, this version isn't easy.

I don't know of such a guide (or any guide), I"m sorry.

2 hours in and you already know it's not that hard? How many bosses have you beaten?

The difficulty is in figuring things out too, which you want to skip past.

Although the original is harder still, this version isn't easy.

I don't know of such a guide (or any guide), I"m sorry.

I'm talking about the general oh man any enemy can take you out and traps are around every corner! type discussion. Same as in Dark Souls as long as you don't rush around like an idiot you come out mostly unscathed.

Alexios

I'm talking about the general oh man any enemy can take you out
Who said this? The game starts with birds that rush and disappear and snakes moving back and forth and tiny bats and jumping... things... so I doubt anyone meant it...

Not sure if anyone said it for Dark Souls even, since that too has plenty of fodder...

If I was to compare it to dark souls it'd be because of the exploration, the trial and error navigation (including navigating past enemies), and fun and excitement of solving puzzles and discovering bosses.

But it's way more comparable to something like castlevania symphony of the night.

Who said this? The game starts with birds that rush and disappear and snakes moving back and forth and tiny bats and jumping... things... so I doubt anyone meant it...

Not sure if anyone said it for Dark Souls even, since that too has plenty of fodder...

Some kids I knew in college. Talked it up so hard was expecting something like I Wanna Be The Guy or something.

But people always say Dark Souls is some extremely difficult thing which I also never got.

Played for about 30 mins. The game is very punishing and you have to commit a lot to the moves you make.

Game Guru

What is this groupees thing that everyone is talking about?

Groupees sold an indie bundle about a few months back called Build A Greenlight Bundle to promote games on Steam Greenlight... One of the bonus games of it was La-Mulana... Naturally as this bundle was designed to promote games on Steam Greenlight, any game which later got a Steam release would get Steam Keys available for it. La-Mulana has a Steam release now, so naturally Steam Keys should become available for that game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Groupees sold an indie bundle about a few months back called Build A Greenlight Bundle to promote games on Steam Greenlight... One of the bonus games of it was La-Mulana... Naturally as this bundle was designed to promote games on Steam Greenlight, any game which later got a Steam release would get Steam Keys available for it. La-Mulana has a Steam release now, so naturally Steam Keys should become available for that game.

Yup, and we're working on it. A couple of the other Playism guys will be handling it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Time for some noob questions:
- Other than a short stun, should I ever be careful of falling from great heights?
- Can someone explain the health system? At first I thought it was simply the green gauge that represents health while the other is stamina of sorts, but it looks like there's more to it than that. Also, are the effects of these health increasing orbs infinite? The fact that I can't track them from my menus are worrying me.

From what I understand green orbs are exp, and when you fill the bar up you get health for it. The other way to heal is the hot springs in the beginner guide video.

HoosTrax

Oh god I have no idea what I'm doing. Figuring out how to save my game felt like an accomplishment. I should just read the manual. Ingrish aside (did someone just pass the Japanese version through Google Translate?), it looks like it has pretty critical information.

Something about the movement in this game reminds me of Circle of the Moon more than some of the other Castlevanias.

I'm starting to see the Dark Souls comparisons...this game lets you get yourself in over your head in various ways (letting you take routes you're not ready for).

Mitama

Some kids I knew in college. Talked it up so hard was expecting something like I Wanna Be The Guy or something.

But people always say Dark Souls is some extremely difficult thing which I also never got.

The game is very difficult. The difficulty comes from the puzzle solving however, not from the combat. This is, as far as I can remember, the only game leaving me with bad memories. It was so easy to miss out on stuff and some puzzles were pretty ridiculous so I just gave up on it since I can't stand looking up things. If I have to do that, it's just poor game design in my opinion. Shame really since there's a lot to love about this, it has very charming graphics and music and the exploration and areas are pretty great. If only puzzles weren't overly obtuse... :(

Hey guys,

People should be getting the codes today. I just received them myself and am passing them on to the proper parties (our playism coders, groupees, and desura).

I will hop in here again when the PLAYISM keys actually go out!

Wok

Hey guys,

People should be getting the codes today. I just received them myself and am passing them on to the proper parties (our playism coders, groupees, and desura).

Fantastic. You will manage to get the keys for day 2. I find it very fast, no kidding.

Salsa

Hey guys,

cool beans

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hey guys,

Yay. :)

Kientin

Hey guys,

Pretty excited. Can't wait to play it!

oipic

Turns out F1 is the pause screen, thanks Google! No thanks game!

Admittedly, it does say so in the manual... but yeah, not sure what percentage of players will peruse the manual before playing.

*reading manual while waiting patiently/excitedly for Steam key*

Eusis

Admittedly, it does say so in the manual... but yeah, not sure what percentage of players will peruse the manual before playing.

It's something I'm willing to SERIOUSLY do for an older game, but for newer ones (even those styled like older games) I'll usually just flip/scroll through to see how it looks and if there's any interesting bits.

Moobabe

I expected this thread to explode overnight - but maybe people are like me and still on the fence. Someone sell it to me in one sentence that doesn't use a comparison to Dark Souls.

The Hermit

I'd love to see this on 3DS, actually. The more that comes to handheld, the better.

That would be an instabuy, but they took so long to make the Wiiware version, that I don't expect anything.

Love this game so much, its puzzled makes you feel like a genius when you solve then.

Arozay

I was unware of the readme, just dove in and skimmed the config.

(I also didn't know you could read the save points till I got the
Holy Grail
)

--

Aaaand "This is La-Mulana Part 1"... :lol

I expected this thread to explode overnight - but maybe people are like me and still on the fence. Someone sell it to me in one sentence that doesn't use a comparison to Dark Souls.

The Dark Souls reference kind of throws me for a loop as well. The director, Naramura, gets a kick out of it though although he does agree in part.

It's a game created for gamers who play games for their challenge and is easily one of the best designed indie games ever created.

Also, Naramura likes to feast on bitter tears from broken players. And he's hungry.

Maedhros

The game is very difficult. The difficulty comes from the puzzle solving however, not from the combat. This is, as far as I can remember, the only game leaving me with bad memories. It was so easy to miss out on stuff and some puzzles were pretty ridiculous so I just gave up on it since I can't stand looking up things. If I have to do that, it's just poor game design in my opinion. Shame really since there's a lot to love about this, it has very charming graphics and music and the exploration and areas are pretty great. If only puzzles weren't overly obtuse... :(

Isn't really a game for everyone. The puzzles are HARD, but not impossible if you think.

It's recomended to keep a copy of everything on the tablets. Also, the name of the rooms can be hints to puzzles too.

Time for some noob questions:
- Other than a short stun, should I ever be careful of falling from great heights?
- Can someone explain the health system? At first I thought it was simply the green gauge that represents health while the other is stamina of sorts, but it looks like there's more to it than that. Also, are the effects of these health increasing orbs infinite? The fact that I can't track them from my menus are worrying me.

-Not really, it'll never damage you (unless there's a enemy passing by).
-The green gauge represents your health. The blue bar is the same size of your HP bar and represents the Vitality. When it's filled, your HP gets restored.
On the first dungeon, you'll get the item who upgrades your hp. Enemies can drop some orbs, which will fill the blue bard.

Arozay

Died right after beating the 3rd boss.....................................................................

Awesome to see this game finally get a Steam release. Having played (but not beaten) the original, I can guarantee everyone is in for a treat with this game, especially if they have happened to add bonus content to the game. I'll definitely be picking this up soon, but I just bought a game yesterday and don't feel like letting my wallet gain any more momentum just yet...my tendency for splurging can be haphazard.

Quick question for those of you playing already...any chance the game has options to switch the soundtrack between the new and original? That was one feature I absolutely loved in Cave Story+, and while I certainly don't object to the remastered music, it would be convenient to have the options just in case. Not a deal-breaker at all, just curious.

Davey Cakes

It took a lot of dying and being lost but I beat the first boss at my first try. I'm in love with this game.
I beat the first boss on my first try as well. The difference was, I had actually beaten the third and fourth bosses beforehand, so when I got to the actual first boss, he was a pushover.

Yay for non-linearity.

My boss order so far has been 3, 4, 1, 2, 5, 6.
Sun, Spring, Gate, Mausoleum, Inferno, Twin?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The Dark Souls reference kind of throws me for a loop as well. The director, Naramura, gets a kick out of it though although he does agree in part.

It's a game created for gamers who play games for their challenge and is easily one of the best designed indie games ever created.

Also, Naramura likes to feast on bitter tears from broken players. And he's hungry.

I think the Dark Souls reference is kind of appropriate, if only to evoke some mechanical similarities.

I beat the first boss on my first try as well. The difference was, I had actually beaten the third and fourth bosses beforehand, so when I got to the actual first boss, he was a pushover.

Yay for non-linearity.

My boss order so far has been 3, 4, 1, 2, 5, 6.
Sun, Spring, Gate, Mausoleum, Inferno, Twin?

Oh, it's non-linear? I had no idea, thought it was closer to Metroid in that regard. Awesome.

Top Bottom