• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

_Angelus_

Banned
Is 512 megs of console ram enough to make these loads bareable? Well for sure it seals it-the hard drive is a must for me since it'll shorten the loads in this game.

dorio

Banned
element said:
I'm pretty sure that games got to run without a HDD. Considering it is a port of a PC game, it probably will just load a little more often :p
Will MMO require harddrives?
"The J" can eat my ass. Fuck him and his misleading words. :p I'm in acceptance now btw.
Ditto, my thoughts of a product has never taken such a drastic turn as it has in the span of a couple minutes as it has with the 360. This is the only thing I thought they could do to screw this whole thing up and they did it. Rule no. 1, never overpromise and under deliver.

Mupepe

Banned
Angelus said:
Is 512 megs of console ram enough to make these loads bareable? Well for sure it seals it-the hard drive is a must for me since it'll shorten the loads in this game.
The HDD won't automatically shorten the load times, the feature has to be implemented into the code. And 512 megs of RAM is enough if the game is built right.

Dorio said:
I'd imagine. MMO's are filled with DLC and usually install quite a bit of information.

Izzy

Banned
Angelus said:
What does this news say for Oblivion?

I really find it hard to believe that Oblivion can be played without the hard drive. Constant loading will be a major pain in the ass for a game this size. And if it did require the hard drive then the game will take one hell of a hit in lost sales here. Not that I care,but I'm sure developers do.

Now that you've mentioned it...wasn't that the reason why the PS3 rev was doubtful according to the devs? No HDD in the standard PS3 package and all...

Oh, the irony!

element

dorio said:
MMO are a gray area right now, I haven't heard anything. One would expect them to need a HDD, but perhaps someone can do one without one.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Another reason why I'm worried about the HDD situation is because with bigger textures and polycounts, there's just more data to load, period.

Here's a question...how long would it take to load all 512MB of RAM with a level off the disc?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm buying one at launch (rather than later) just so I can test out my HDTV to see if its really a HDTV.... If not, then I'll need to buy a new TV and I want plenty of warning before bluray/broadcast HD hits the UK.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
This sucks for all of us. didnt MS say that it was Sony who was pricing their console way too high? man, the last two days have sucked balls. First we are told that Zelda will be delayed and now we know that the Xbox360 is too expensive:mad:

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sho Nuff said:
Here's a question...how long would it take to load all 512MB of RAM with a level off the disc?

Less time that it would take to load data off DVD, save it to HDD for cache, then back to the console.

blackadde

element said:
MMO are a gray area right now, I haven't heard anything. One would expect them to need a HDD, but perhaps someone can do one without one.

How would they patch the client for bugs, updates, etc?

Mupepe

Banned
dorio said:
Thanks for the info.
I answered you first :(

Maybe J Allard will be like "We were playing bitches!" and then we'll all be like "oh man, he had us there" and then he'll be like "X360 is 199.99 for HDD and all." I wish....

BTW, which SKU is going to be given away in that 7 up commercial then?? I have to know, because it'll determine how much 7 up i'll buy. Maybe I'll win a free one!! ...I hate 7 up

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
element said:

The PS2 version of Everquest didnt need it (and there was quite a big world out there with really small load times). It just relied on Memory card for minor software updates.

_Angelus_

Banned
303267.jpg

Exclusive launch day face plate for the X360.

lunlunqq

mrklaw said:
Less time that it would take to load data off DVD, save it to HDD for cache, then back to the console.

you sure about that? remember HD is big. you can load a lot of things into the HD and then most of the data exchange will happen between RAM and the HD. there is no need to access DVD drive very frequently. i believe that will significantly reduce the loading time.

Mupepe

Banned
TTP said:
The PS2 version of Everquest didnt need it (and there was quite a big world out there with really small load times). It just relied on Memory card for minor software updates.
And the PS2 version of Everquest sucked by all MMO standards. haha It only required minor software updates because it was basically tweaked to all hell already. But if a new MMO were to be released, with expansions mind you, they would need a hell of a lot more than 64mb

Striek

A lot of people are looking silly right now. Glad I stayed out of X360 price threads.

And this sucks. Everyone had assumed from May (and before) that it was $300 w/HDD and wireless controller. Microsoft gave everyone the big FU.

Mupepe

Banned
TTP said:
Maybe Allard got pissed for breaking his arm and this is a sign of his anger?
Allard doesn't get angry, that little bastard is always smiling knowing that in November he'll get ass sex from millions of people.

Zer0

Banned
Striek said:
A lot of people are looking silly right now. Glad I stayed out of X360 price threads.

And this sucks. Everyone had assumed from May (and before) that it was $300 w/HDD and wireless controller. Microsoft gave everyone the big FU.

microsoft and lies? that´s is impossible

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Maybe Allards accident wasnt an accident at all! He found out about the 2 SKUs and sped off on his mountain bike but Bill picked him off from his chopper.

Quick, someone buy the movie rights.

_Angelus_

Banned
Mupepe said:
Agreed. OT:But hasn't everyone just had the urge to do this on a bad day??

Occasionaly. Especially the ones that wear all that glammy bike gear like theyre suppose to be Lance Armstrong. Hah.

Mupepe

Banned
Gah, and now I'm going home. Hopefully there'll be some good news from GC when I get back on later. stupid allard and his stupid small penis

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
The pricing for Xbox360 might not be good news for sony at all, I wouldnt be surprised if PS3 costs more than this. Is there going to be any news from sony about the PS3 price or would it be too early for anything like that?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
psycho_snake said:
The pricing for Xbox360 might not be good news for sony at all, I wouldnt be surprised if PS3 costs more than this. Is there going to be any news from sony about the PS3 price or would it be too early for anything like that?

I highly doubt it. MS is already doing a great job at hurting themselves.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
psycho_snake said:

what? more than $399? If anything, this is giving Sony a free pass to charge more than historical launch prices for PS3. $399 is a freebie right now.

Right now they have an extra $100 to play with. I'm sure Kutaragi is preparing a thank-you gift right now.

Izzy

Banned
mrklaw said:
If anything, this is giving Sony a free pass to charge more than historical launch prices for PS3. $399 is a freebie right now.

Indeed.

psycho_snake said:
The pricing for Xbox360 might not be good news for sony at all, I wouldnt be surprised if PS3 costs more than this.

Thanks to MS, there's not much of a pricing pressure on them anymore. $399 for the bare bone SKU, and $499 for the Value Pack? After all, it is a bit more powerful, has HDMI, a ton of wireless ports....

Sucks for the end cosumer, though - but you can partially thank the MS!
kerry7ik.gif

Deku

Banned
ManaByte said:
How so? As the article says, when Sony releases the PS3; MS can cut the price of the $399 bundle to $299

Eh, basically, it will mean the 360 will appeal to smaller market that what people had hoped. Maybe that's what MS wants, but dreams of an explosive launch and a massive lead by this time next year needs to be revised.

u_neek

From Eurogamer:
It seems possible that Microsoft will translate between Euro and USD on an even ratio, giving a 399 Euro price point for the premium model - which probably translates as GBP 299 after VAT is taken into consideration.

Guess we'll know later.
€399/£299 for the "premuim" version seems okay to me.

Elios83

While I perfectly understand the disappointement and this news means primarly that the hard disk won't be utilized seriously in games,I think this decision is in the best interests of Microsoft.
They don't want to lose a lot of money offering the hard disk at 299$ and at the same time they know that 399$ is just for hardcore gamers.The avarage gamer will buy the 299$ version and won't give a bit of importance to the hard disk while the hardcore gamer will buy the most expansive pack anyway.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
u_neek said:
From Eurogamer:

Guess we'll know later.
€399/£299 for the "premuim" version seems okay to me.

That would make the European Xbox 360 cheaper than the US one. I predict a 449€ price.

Top Bottom