• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

TTP said:
That would make the European Xbox 360 cheaper than the US one. I predict a 449€ price.
what? how's €399 cheaper than $399? =)

Sony-boys are sure having a field day with this one. Wax and Izzy are jizzing their pants. :lol

Izzy

Banned
TTP said:
That would make the European Xbox 360 cheaper than the US one. I predict a 449€ price.

Nope - 1 Euro = 1.2336 U.S. dollars. 399€ = ~$500. In other words, Europe got the $499 bullet instead. :lol

Project Midway said:

Sony-boys are sure having a field day with this one. Wax and Izzy are jizzing their pants. :lol

xbotsamcry5qb.gif

Striek

jvd posted this at beyond3d:
This just in from Major Nelson on skype:

The Cheapest price for Xbox will have a 20 GB HD and a wireless controller. You cant expect to log onto Xbox Live without a hard drive. Xbox Live is one of the pivotal features of the Xbox 360 console. Also we announced the wireless controller will be standard as the wired controller that you saw in pictures is used for security purposes in gaming conventions and public viewing. LA Times reporting is wrong, I will post about this on my blog later on in the day.
Oh the excitement.

/should've stayed outta this thread too.

bitwise

Banned
Will wait for official confirmation. certainly not going to get involved in a troll war with Izzy and Wax until its officially announced.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Microsoft is smoking some f*ckin crack if they think we're gonna spend 3c-notes on that bullsh*t base package. Whoever defends this sh*t needs to cut a hole in the back of their pants to give MS all the easy access they need on you.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
*if* the base pack has 20GB HDD and wireless controller, what on earth do they have to justify a higher priced one? remote control? headset?

And even if the LA times is wrong, its still given us a nice fun thread for the morning :)

Izzy

Banned

The Cheapest price for Xbox will have a 20 GB HD and a wireless controller. You cant expect to log onto Xbox Live without a hard drive. Xbox Live is one of the pivotal features of the Xbox 360 console. Also we announced the wireless controller will be standard as the wired controller that you saw in pictures is used for security purposes in gaming conventions and public viewing. LA Times reporting is wrong, I will post about this on my blog later on in the day.

Great if true. :) :lol => ;)

Luckett_X

Banned
Okay, i'm keeping my fingers crossed this is bullshit. Its one thing to not have the HDD at launch in one of the sku's, but...no wireless controller? That's a ballkick I cannot accept.

One of the major 'leaps' for the new consoles is wireless controllers as a standard.

So yeah, I'm gonna wait to read this on an MS site, or official press release or something, even though I'm probably gonna end up being disappointed :/

hadareud

The Translator
mrklaw said:
*if* the base pack has 20GB HDD and wireless controller, what on earth do they have to justify a higher priced one? remote control? headset?

Maybe a larger hdd, a second controller, headset, remote, hd cables etc.
There could be a few things to justify this ...

bitwise

Banned
maybe it's MS's version of "this console will be too expensive for you!". You know, the old Sony trick. The LA Times was misled about the price with a corrupt "source" so that when the real price IS announced with everything included ($299 or $349), everyone goes crazy.

who knows

RoH

Crap like this makes me almost want to be a sony fanboy and wait for their console.

Stupid M$ you broke my heart.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Project Midway said:

Sorry. My bad. Gotta debug the multithread code that runs into my brain.

Edit: WTF

bloke

Um wait, i think that Major Nelson quote is fake, some guy at TXB is screwing around.
Ok back to bitching-at-MS mode. :lol

Striek

Borys said:
Ouch.

I owned myself pretty bad by reporting this on EvilAvatar.com.

Stupid LA Times and stupid GAF.
Not yet. Found out that Major Nelson stuff came from a TeamXbox poster, so we can't be certain it isn't BS (slim chance Major Nelson would be on skype to a TeamXbox poster IMO). Plus it appears that this news will go into the print version of LATimes (hits after press conference), so its logical that MS informed them beforehand.

Not long 'til MS conference. :D

Izzy

Banned
Not yet. Found out that Major Nelson stuff came from a TeamXbox poster, so we can't be certain it isn't BS (slim chance Major Nelson would be on skype to a TeamXbox poster IMO). Plus it appears that this news will go into the print version of LATimes (hits after press conference), so its logical that MS informed them beforehand.

What's so unbelievable about that? Major Nelson is in 24hr contact with the Xbot fanboy brigade!/jk :lol

Can I use any HD or am I limited to the 20gb from MS?

20gb is way to small.

I would like to be able to use one of the many USB2 HD I already have.

I've got a 120gb in the PS2 that I'd be happy to migrate to the Xbox360.

Angst

mrklaw said:
I'm buying one at launch (rather than later) just so I can test out my HDTV to see if its really a HDTV.... If not, then I'll need to buy a new TV and I want plenty of warning before bluray/broadcast HD hits the UK.

Kidding? Why don't you just check your user manual for the tv instead of laying down @300? If it's just for checking if your tv is HD-compatible it seems pretty unnecessary.

Elios83

I don't think Major Nelson argument is valid.
Allard has already confirmed that models without hard disk will be reality,so the problem is not that Live can't run without HD.

Izzy

Banned
Elios83 said:
I don't think Major Nelson argument is valid.
Allard has already confirmed that models without hard disk will be reality,so the problem is not that Live can't run without HD.

I don't really think that was Major Nelson.... :lol

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
JC10001 on 8/5/05 said:
This would put the stand alone system @ $299 and the system with Xbox Live, headset, etc and HDD @ $399.

Booya!

As for PS3.... my guess would be 1 sku priced at $349 (system w/ 1 wireless controller). A HDD will be sold separately.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Suikoguy said:
I'm not touching this one.. really

And you thought i'd come in here, pointing and laughing, and making a huge rant and saying Juice was right all along.. but I won't do that..

I would.

What does this mean for custom soundtracks? This is wierd I can't see MS giving away what IMO is one of their most valuable assets.

Izzy said:
I don't really think that was Major Nelson.... :lol
First:

Originally Posted by hasanbilal

Then:

Quote:
For the record: I do have Major Nelson but he isnt online on skype, My point to prove is here is that you take every unofficial news from an indirect source at face value. Major Nelson didnt get asked by me and i didnt ask him, hes probably preparing for the German Convenction which is over an hour away from now.

The Lesson we learnt today is to wait for the official word rather than a newsource which doesnt qoute any MS representative, no links were provided and only a word of an analyst were given.

Sorry to get your hopes up but I hope you learnt a lesson: WAIT FOR THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT rather than trust indirect sources with no official sources

Angst

With the two major dissapointments this week (if this last one is true), this week will hereafter be known as:

dissapointathon!

Elios83

krypt0nian said:
First:

Then:

Quote:
For the record: I do have Major Nelson but he isnt online on skype, My point to prove is here is that you take every unofficial news from an indirect source at face value. Major Nelson didnt get asked by me and i didnt ask him, hes probably preparing for the German Convenction which is over an hour away from now.

The Lesson we learnt today is to wait for the official word rather than a newsource which doesnt qoute any MS representative, no links were provided and only a word of an analyst were given.

Sorry to get your hopes up but I hope you learnt a lesson: WAIT FOR THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT rather than trust indirect sources with no official sources

Aahahah ridicolous :lol :lol

Sho Nuff

Banned
Allard: "Tell the LA Times that it won't come with a HDD and see what the fanboys say."
LA Times: "HDD is optional."
GAF: "AAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!"
Allard: "Er, okay. Make it standard and say the LA Times was on crack."
GAF: "Yay!!!"

Gregory

Banned
Great news.

Never wanted harddisk, Live or wireless controller anyway. Which means I now don`t have to pay for all this uneccessary shit. Cheaper 360 get.

Sho Nuff said:
Allard: "Tell the LA Times that it won't come with a HDD and see what the fanboys say."
LA Times: "HDD is optional."
GAF: "AAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!"
Allard: "Er, okay. Make it standard and say the LA Times was on crack."
GAF: "Yay!!!"
i wish this were true

Striek

Gregory said:
Great news.

Never wanted harddisk, Live or wireless controller anyway. Which means I now don`t have to pay for all this uneccessary shit. Cheaper 360 get.
:lol the scenario most people were suggesting (and MS, IMO, alluded to) included all that stuff for the same cheap price. In no way is this good news :)

Sho Nuff

Banned
Gregory said:
Great news.

Perhaps you would be interested in a thing that is called a "PS2"

DarienA

The more I think about this, the more I don't buy it... it just doesn't add up at all considering how much MS has touted the connectivity features, XBL, microtransactions, etc.

Angst

DarienA said:
The more I think about this, the more I don't buy it... it just doesn't add up at all considering how much MS has touted the connectivity features, XBL, microtransactions, etc.

Couldn't it be done with memorycards instead? Not the lame-o memcard that the PS2 has, but 512 MB SD cards?

Gregory said:
Great news.

This is worthy of the greatest nintendo spin award. Except its for Microsoft.

Gratz on your Bizarro World post!

DarienA

Angst said:
Couldn't it be done with memorycards instead? Not the lame-o memcard that the PS2 has, but 512 MB SD cards?

Yeah it could, actually I think we keep hearing that line for the PSP and PS3 as well... I'm curious to see how this affects titles like Oblivion which I assumed would use the HD as well as sequels to Fable, Jade Empire, etc....

Top Bottom