• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

mrklaw said:
*if* the base pack has 20GB HDD and wireless controller, what on earth do they have to justify a higher priced one? remote control? headset?

Your point is a salient one, and should be reiterated. If the $300 package is BS, wtf is the real $400 package then? HD-DVD? Free Velocity Girl map packs for a year? Extra Humanity Power?

Wow! If this is true it's very very bad news. There's no way in hell I'll pay 399 euros for Xbox360 and no way in hell I'll buy the butchered version. One console future here I come!*

*Unless Revolution doesn't suck.

Borys

Banned
Holy fuck this crap from TXB has to end eventually. Somebody nuke that nest of lying scumbags and blind fanboys, please.
It's the same or even worse as Nintendo.com forums.

Pakman

Originally Posted by DarienA:
The more I think about this, the more I don't buy it... it just doesn't add up at all considering how much MS has touted the connectivity features, XBL, microtransactions, etc.

Couldn't it be done with memorycards instead? Not the lame-o memcard that the PS2 has, but 512 MB SD cards?

Who knows, but EB and IGN list the standard memcards being 64 MB cards. Of course third-parties will release larger ones, but I doubt microsoft is banking on doing this with memcards.

But I agree with DarienA.. It's hard to buy. Microsoft has said the wireless controller would be standard with the 360. IGN and others have stated this at least.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Angst said:
Kidding? Why don't you just check your user manual for the tv instead of laying down @300? If it's just for checking if your tv is HD-compatible it seems pretty unnecessary.

well, not *just* - I'd play the games too, and I'd buy it eventually. Its just the first bit of kit with proper HD outputs.

I need to test because I know my set doesn't take 720p, but it does take 1080i. I want to check whether that looks OK to me or not as soon as possible (Sky is bringing out a HD satellite service soon). If its fine, then good. If not, I'll need to start looking for a new TV.

wow, not that it hasnt been said but the "stock" system that we're speculating about...just basically an upgraded video card? not doing anything to further or improve on the gaming experience?

f this, im going back to my N64!

sarusama

Can the 360 use standard memory modules (USB keys) for game saves? If not that means that in order to really play with it, you'll have to at least buy either a proprietary mem card or the HDD.

I'd just have to add this then :p

it's good the Rev will have this built-in flash memory. At least I'll be able to saving games won't require more money to be spent (what with all the peeps calling "rip-off" for "requiring" you to buy a wireless router/USB adapter... would be the same for memory on 360). And if it does get filled, *standard* SD mem cards can be used. I've read Iwata even mentioned that downloaded game ROMs can be stored on a PC, hope the same goes for game saves. All that's missing is that they let the Rev connect to your home PC and use it's HD a persistent mass storage (would not work for load caching, but streaming of music at the very least and easy management of content (saves, roms, etc.))

All in all, I'm partly joking here: 1) I don't buy this 2 SKU thing yet and 2) an HDD of course has much more potential than "limited" flash RAM. All this comment was for actually is bitch that one would have to again spend extra money for a necessity! (games run, but aren't really playable... you might die after beating a 50hour RPG ;)

Is it known if the ps3 can use memory sticks or USB keys for game saves?

bill0527

Somebody please just freakin tell me I can use my own PC hard drive for storage over my wireless network so I can go back to bed and quit worrying about how the fuck I'm gonna come up with about 700 bucks in the next 3 months. (deluxe version + 2 year warranty + 2-3 games = $700). Yes I have a job. I also have a wife who will soak my nuts in hot corn oil if I blow $700 on myself that close to Christmas. I'm gonna have to start selling blood, plasma, and sperm on the side. Hell I might even turn a trick or two if the price is right.

bill0527 said:
Somebody please just freakin tell me I can use my own PC hard drive for storage over my wireless network so I can go back to bed and quit worrying about how the fuck I'm gonna come up with about 700 bucks in the next 3 months. (deluxe version + 2 year warranty + 2-3 games = $700). Yes I have a job. I also have a wife who will soak my nuts in hot corn oil if I blow $700 on myself that close to Christmas. I'm gonna have to start selling blood, plasma, and sperm on the side. Hell I might even turn a trick or two if the price is right.

Yup, Wireless network storage is the ONLY exception to my wait til price drop rule here. Fucka memory card.

Shinobi

These prices only work if MS decided to go with HD-DVD. If that's the case, I can understand these prices, though it'll mean the 360 isn't happening for me this year.

If it's still DVD-9 or whatever the fuck it's being called, this is just a stupid, stupid move on MS's part. The fact that they went away from this two-pronged strategy right before E3 suggested they had listened to those inside the industry who saw this as a mistake. To go back to this suggests one of four things...

1. HD-DVD
2. The shareholders got inside Billy's ear
3. PS3 will indeed cost $400-500 (and I have a hard time believing that)
4. MS have simply lost their fucking mind

The advantage of going with a $299 or less pricepoint isn't for the first year, but for years two, three and four. The higher the pricepoint, the harder it is and the longer it takes to get down to the magical $129-199 price range. And that's what MS has to worry about as it tries to take mindshare and marketshare away from Sony and the Playstation brand.

MS's idea of what's worth $100 is much more realistic than Sony's definition of what's worth $75 (a memory stick so small that you can't buy it in stores, a sleeve, and some really crappy headphones).

Zaptruder

Banned
I feel neutral for either piece of news.

On one hand if the 300$ SKU comes with wireless controller and HD, then I save some moeny.

If on the otherhand, 400$ SKU is the only one with wireless controller and HD along with the X360... then that's just an immediate pay off in the form of classic GAF comedy and ownage.

Ah who am I kidding, it's been pretty funny thusfar.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I know I created the thread initially, but I was rushing out to work so didn't have time to comment.

But definitely, I'd be surprised if there's no HDD at $299, given the way some people were talking. MS did leave the impression that the HDD would be standard. I was expecting that, I know a tonne of people were (along with the headset and ethernet cable too). A bit naive perhaps, but oh well.

I figured if there were going to be 2 SKUs, at most the more expensive one would be $350.

AB 101

Banned
Well, its the $399 model for me.

Really, its not bad for what you get.

I pretty much expected this price so I am not upset by it.

Guess I need to check with EB and see how they are going to work the preorders.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
gofreak said:
I know I created the thread initially, but I was rushing out to work so didn't have time to comment.

But definitely, I'd be surprised if there's no HDD at $299, given the way some people were talking. MS did leave the impression that the HDD would be standard. I was expecting that, I know a tonne of people were (along with the headset and ethernet cable too). A bit naive perhaps, but oh well.

I figured if there were going to be 2 SKUs, at most the more expensive one would be $350.

IMO, MS going HD-less is like Nintendo going back to two controller ports.

bitwise

Banned
AB 101 said:
Well, its the $399 model for me.

Really, its not bad for what you get.

I pretty much expected this price so I am not upset by it.

Guess I need to check with EB and see how they are going to work the preorders.

yeah, thats true.

I was thinking $349 all along, so i guess its not like some HUGE leap in price over what I was expecting.

Gregory

Banned
Striek said:
:lol the scenario most people were suggesting (and MS, IMO, alluded to) included all that stuff for the same cheap price. In no way is this good news :)

Well, anyone with a brain knew they couldn`t sell all that stuff for 300. The great news is that I now don`t have to pay 400 and get stuff I didn`t want.

Sho Nuff said:
Perhaps you would be interested in a thing that is called a "PS2"

I care about games, not hardware features. MS has tons of great exclusive games. For me, Sony less so. Have a PS2 though.

krypt0nian said:
This is worthy of the greatest nintendo spin award. Except its for Microsoft.

Gratz on your Bizarro World post!

Spin ? Saving 100 bucks for not having to buy the 400 dollar pack with useless shit (to me) is spin ? Ok.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GaimeGuy said:
IMO, MS going HD-less is like Nintendo going back to two controller ports.

Personally I don't think it'd be a big deal if they didn't leave the heavy suggestion that it would be standard. I mean from a technical perspective there isn't a huge argument for a standard HDD imo. I though a HD-less version would be cheaper though.

MS have an X360 presentation in about an hours time. Expect more on this price then.

Hopefully this works out as:

£250
£299 with HDD

I'll put down for the HDD and XBL headset etc. It's worth it.
Revolution potentially @ £199 tops?

gofreak said:
Personally I don't think it'd be a big deal if they didn't leave the heavy suggestion that it would be standard. I mean from a technical perspective there isn't a huge argument for a standard HDD imo. I though a HD-less version would be cheaper though.
heavy suggestion?

they straight said they would be standard... they just didnt add "in one of our skus"

The Faceless Master said:
heavy suggestion?

they straight said they would be standard... they just didnt add "in one of our skus"

That and the fact that all of the services and software they touted are useless without the HDD (or a mem card for those trapped in the 90's)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
can someone explain something?

all those cancelling their X360 orders because of lack of HDD...

was that the sole reason you were buying a X360?

call me old fashioned, but surely you should be basing your decissions to buy a particular games console on, you know, the games?

(personally, i think not having a HDD as standard is a mistake - but hey, what do i know?)

DCharlie said:

call me old fashioned, but surely you should be basing your decissions to buy a particular games console on, you know, the games?

(personally, i think not having a HDD as standard is a mistake - but hey, what do i know?)

Did you not read/see the MS hype hype hype for the extra shit, or are you just playing the "its all about the games" crap for laughs now?

DCharlie said:

$299 launch = buy 2-3 launch games
$399 launch = buy no games = buy no system = wait for pricedrop

Pakman

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/642/642656p1.html

Check it out... Not good news.

GC 2005: Xbox 360 Pricing Revealed
Microsoft drops the bill at the German Games Convention.
by Tal Blevins
August 17, 2005 - Today at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany, Microsoft unveiled the price of their upcoming next-generation system.

The new 'box will come in two flavors, a core and a fully-loaded model, and will carry two separate price points.
The Xbox 360 core system -- priced at $299.99 in the United States, ?299.99 in Europe and £209.99 in the U.K. -- will come with the console, a wired controller, faceplate, standard audio-visual cable and an Xbox Live Silver membership. An Xbox Live Silver membership allows you to create a user id, download game content, access the Xbox 360 marketplace and gives Live users the ability to chat with friends. It does not, however, allow users to play games online. To do this, Silver members must upgrade to a Gold membership.

The Xbox 360 fully-loaded system -- priced at $399.99 in the United States, ?399.99 in Europe and £279.99 in the U.K. -- will come complete with the console, a wireless controller, a 20GB detachable hard drive, a faceplate, headset, component HD audio-visual cables, an Ethernet cable, Xbox Live Silver membership and, for a limited time, an Xbox 360 media remote.

The Xbox 360 will launch in North America, Europe and Japan this holiday season. Expect to hear more about the Japanese launch and pricing at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, which takes place in mid-September.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DCharlie said:

im not paying 400 for what came with the original and what i didnt use with the original.

if i cant use any old hd then i w ont be getting one at all.

Izzy

Banned
This just in:

GC 2005: Xbox 360 Pricing Revealed
Microsoft drops the bill at the German Games Convention.
by Tal Blevins
August 17, 2005 - Today at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany, Microsoft unveiled the price of their upcoming next-generation system.

The new 'box will come in two flavors, a core and a fully-loaded model, and will carry two separate price points.
The Xbox 360 core system -- priced at $299.99 in the United States, ?299.99 in Europe and £209.99 in the U.K. -- will come with the console, a wired controller, faceplate, standard audio-visual cable and an Xbox Live Silver membership. An Xbox Live Silver membership allows you to create a user id, download game content, access the Xbox 360 marketplace and gives Live users the ability to chat with friends. It does not, however, allow users to play games online. To do this, Silver members must upgrade to a Gold membership.

The Xbox 360 fully-loaded system -- priced at $399.99 in the United States, ?399.99 in Europe and £279.99 in the U.K. -- will come complete with the console, a wireless controller, a 20GB detachable hard drive, a faceplate, headset, component HD audio-visual cables, an Ethernet cable, Xbox Live Silver membership and, for a limited time, an Xbox 360 media remote.

The Xbox 360 will launch in North America, Europe and Japan this holiday season. Expect to hear more about the Japanese launch and pricing at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, which takes place in mid-September

Link

Izzy =

nostradamus.jpg

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
krypt0nian said:
They are just spewing out the going news. Nothing new here as the pricing hasn't even come up in the press conference yet. Typical IGN. Even late with the unconfirmed news. :lol

im pretty sure they had this press release waiting in the wings. Theyve probably known for a c ouple of days.

Seth C

Angelus said:
Theyre doing this because the casual gamer will eat up the 300 dollar pack,while the fools like myself will bite on the more expensive one. Early adopter indeed. There had better be a protecion plan,a 2 year one as a option to buy at the very least. Otherwise I won't touch this rushed piece of hardware this time around,not at launch anyways.

And people like me will suddenly buy...neither of them. Honestly, I'd feel I was getting screwed on either purchase. The $399 package is simply too expensive, and the $299 package seems far too stripped.

They'll make money, but if "first to 10 million" is really what they think will make them the winners, this simply wasn't the way to go about it.

Top Bottom