• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the (half-assed?) LAN Party -- Mario Kart: Double Dash

Ristamar

Over the 4th of July weekend I dragged an extra TV into my living room, bought some hooch, had a few friends over, and decided to fire up a Double Dash LAN session for the first time. Since there was only 4 of us we didn’t need a LAN, truth be told, but more screen space is always a plus.

Setup was easy enough, but we were met with disappointment early when we discovered there was no Bob-omb Battle option. Weaksauce. It would likely be far too hectic on most maps with 5+ karts, but that’s no reason to exclude it. Instead we tried out Balloon Battle, which turned out to be fairly entertaining, but nothing spectacular. If you’ve played any of the previous Balloon Battle incarnations in the series, you know what to expect here.

Fortunately, the unexpected star of the night was the previously untouched Shine Thief mode. Holy shit. For those that aren’t familiar with Shine Thief, you essentially grab the Shine sprite and try to be one holding it when the timer runs out. The other players attack the driver with the Shine. A successful attack knocks the Shine from their grasp and prevents the now previous owner from immediately reclaiming it for a few brief seconds. When the Shine is dropped, the timer resets based on how long it’s been captured, how many people have held it, and how much time is left when it’s dropped. Since the clock always resets to a minimum of 11 seconds, you always have a chance of reclaiming the Shine before the game ends.

The matches are fast and frantic, and because there is no kart or driver selection between games, the action is nearly non-stop. The random assignment of karts and drivers was a smart (perhaps unintentional?) move and compliments the game’s pace quite nicely and its effect on game balance is minimal. You’ll be so busy screaming as your friends hound you relentlessly or laughing maniacally as you steal their Shine with a well-aimed green shell, you won’t care what you’re driving or who is driving it.

Unfortunately, we didn’t get around to trying out the Grand Prix mode. Hopefully in coming weeks we’ll get a chance to give it a spin. I have a feeling I won’t care for random kart assignment in this instance, and I don’t think it’s necessary considering the considerable amount of play time between Cups.

Though it has already been pointed out by nearly every gamer on the planet, the game is just begging to be online, as are most of Nintendo’s peripheral Mario based franchises. That being said, if a future Mario Kart does provide online play, I hope the LAN play isn’t ignored. With a bunch of friends (and maybe a little alcohol), even with its flaws and quirks (give me more maps and my Bob-omb Battle!), it’s not to be missed.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
biggest lan flaw is that you can't have computer racers in lan mode... namely two player grand prix in lan mode is not possible. I wish I was wrong though.

kroutdogg

I was fortunate enough to be part of the lan party that Rist was discribing. Ever since i have bought my broadband adapter i've been thinking it a mistake. Well, if only for that one night it was worth it(to me). Like he said, the Bob-omb battle would've been a welcomed selection but shine thief blew me away as far as the amount of fun it gave us. Balloon battle was so-so and didn't find much time in our gaming that night. Online mode would definately give this game more replay value but there's not like talking shit on the guys right beside you when there is one second left on the clock and you nail them to take their shine. Just my 3 cents.

Top Bottom