• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the party: Chronicles of Riddick

OK, so I just started...opening cinema was cool. Now I'm on the first level (outside Butcher Bay?) and I kill Johns?! WTF? Isn't this game set before Pitch Black? Didn't Johns nail Riddick after his escape from Butcher Bay and was on the way to take him back when the ship crash landed on the alien planet? Color me confused.

Also, is there a 480p bug in this game? It looks like shit (I can see black pixelated lines all over the characters and everything looks really low res).

jedimike

DJ Demon J said:
OK, so I just started...opening cinema was cool. Now I'm on the first level (outside Butcher Bay?) and I kill Johns?! WTF? Isn't this game set before Pitch Black? Didn't Johns nail Riddick after his escape from Butcher Bay and was on the way to take him back when the ship crash landed on the alien planet? Color me confused.

Keep playing... it's a mind job

Also, is there a 480p bug in this game? It looks like shit (I can see black pixelated lines all over the characters and everything looks really low res).

Version I played looked beautiful on 480p. I remember some pixelation, but nothing that distracted gameplay or diminished the look of the game.

DJ Demon J said:

Play on and it'll become clear.

I gave up on Riddick thanks to it having possibly the stupidest save system ever devised. It boggles the mind as to how such a level of totally fuckedness could be achieved. Why is it so bloody difficult for developers to realise that not everybody has endless hours to just keep playing, that they need to be able to come away from a game and then return to it in a sensible manner. I replayed one section 4 times in order to try and circumvent the bastard.

jedimike said:
Version I played looked beautiful on 480p. I remember some pixelation, but nothing that distracted gameplay or diminished the look of the game.

It's looking better now that I'm inside, but outside in the sandstorm it was really pixelated. Very odd. Maybe Doom 3 has spoiled me? :/

Solid

Speevy said:
Short but sweet, though really fun. It's not very hard, though. (played on normal)
?!

I thought the Mines was very hard... but I finally got it right after trying some tactics.

I really like the game. Sure it's short but it never gets slow during those 7-8 hours.

You people say short, but it took me nearly two weeks to beat something like Prince of Persia (7 in-game hours, probably 10 or more with deaths/reloads).

That must be one hell of a mind fuck to kill off Johns at the start of the game. Without spoiling the story, does the storyline really tie together well between Pitch Black, Chronicles the movie and that Dark Fury anime? I've seen the movie--lame, should've kept Riddick as a killer and not an anti-hero--but not the anime.

Speevy

Banned
Deepthroat said:
?!

I thought the Mines was very hard... but I finally got it right after trying some tactics.

Like I've mentioned before, I suck at most games and I was able to get through it. It's just a matter of being really cheap and ruthless, running around like a wimp, and of course avoiding those robot things. There's strategy to it sure, but nothing that someone who's played first person shooters can't handle. The hardest part for me was where you have to meet that one guy who gives you the orders. (the orders to go into the place w/ poisonous gas)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Xbox GOTY! Despite the fact that it's pretty short - but at the end, you're definitely left wanting more, but that's better than wanting the damn thing to be done (glares at Manhunt).

As far as tying into the whole Pitch Black mythos, it fits in perfectly. There's so much I want to tell you, but it's best for you to discover it for yourself. The most fun I've had on Xbox this year, hands down.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I really enjoyed Riddick a greal deal. A wonderful first person adventure.

Still that's nothing compared to what Starbreeze has in store for you next! Your puny minds are going to be torn asunder by the shockwave of its raw awesomeness!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Every day in the office, someone seems to have a new promo copy of this game. Each time I ask to get it once the owner is done with it. I conclude that I sit next to crap players if it's that short really. That, or nobody wants me to have it.

Just how long did you play? The whole first segemnt only lasts about 10-15 minuites.

MINOR SPOILERS BELOW:

If you play through those fifteen minutes you'd find out it was a dream sequence/training

Top Bottom