• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law School & Lawyer GAF

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Fuck write-on.

Congrats to all the grads, btw.

And, we're done with 1L?

I have no idea what my grades are going to be, and honestly.. I don't care right now. Just going work hard at my jobs and get some good experience.

Law review? Have fun! That shit is peer-reviewed, you know.

PBY

Banned
Wait- so can anyone speak to the "OMGHOWFUCKEDAMI?" level of getting a C or B-? Because I know its coming, just wanna see how bad its gonna hurt me.

mre

Yea, peer reviews by law students is the worst thing ever. The grader's a genius and whomever they're grading is not. But if I do well and get on the journal, I'll change my tune.
That wasn't what I meant. It was a tiny jab at Para bailar La Bomba. :p

I graded write-ons my 3L year, and let me tell you, there was a huge difference between those that I passed on and those that I recommended. Write competently and you'll do fine.

PBY

Banned
That wasn't what I meant. It was a tiny jab at Para bailar La Bomba. :p

I graded write-ons my 3L year, and let me tell you, there was a huge difference between those that I passed on and those that I recommended. Write competently and you'll do fine.

Question- did you guys have a bluebooking section? And if so, how much did you weigh that? Cuz i suck at all things bluebook related
You already have your clerkships for this summer, correct?
I'm only a 1L- working in-house for a company (asset management firm).

mre

Question- did you guys have a bluebooking section? And if so, how much did you weigh that? Cuz i suck at all things bluebook related

I'm only a 1L- working in-house for a company (asset management firm).

We did have a bluebook section that would weighted about 50% (I think). I mean, bluebooking is by and large what you're going to spend a large part of your time on law review doing, so you need to really embrace that book.

A C isn't going to look fantastic on your transcript, but you have 1 job already, so focus on doing your best work this summer. You're going to have to kill any interview you get in the fall. As competitive as the clerkships have become, you'll need to stand out in the interview. With that said, you don't know that you got a C or even a B-. If you had trouble with the exam, but were well prepared, then chances are your classmates also had trouble with it.

PBY

Banned
We did have a bluebook section that would weighted about 50% (I think). I mean, bluebooking is by and large what you're going to spend a large part of your time on law review doing, so you need to really embrace that book.

A C isn't going to look fantastic on your transcript, but you have 1 job already, so focus on doing your best work this summer. You're going to have to kill any interview you get in the fall. As competitive as the clerkships have become, you'll need to stand out in the interview. With that said, you don't know that you got a C or even a B-. If you had trouble with the exam, but were well prepared, then chances are your classmates also had trouble with it.

Sigh. Thanks for the reply, pretty much what I thought- and dreaded. I'm pretty good at interviewing (not tooting my own horn, just being objective- the job I got was through a program that required 3 rounds of interviews for this diversity scholars thing), and its kinda all I have, considering how completely average-to-terrible I am at actually doing law school. And I wasn't prepared for the exam lol- it was my worst class, and- I was actually in the hospital the weekend before this exam, I got it pushed back, but I was still sick when taking it- is there any way to bring this up in interviews without it seeming like I'm bitching/making excuses?

I'm so fucked w/ the bluebook though.

mre

Sigh. Thanks for the reply, pretty much what I thought- and dreaded. I'm pretty good at interviewing (not tooting my own horn, just being objective- the job I got was through a program that required 3 rounds of interviews for this diversity scholars thing), and its kinda all I have, considering how completely average-to-terrible I am at actually doing law school. And I wasn't prepared for the exam lol- it was my worst class, and- I was actually in the hospital the weekend before this exam, I got it pushed back, but I was still sick when taking it- is there any way to bring this up in interviews without it seeming like I'm bitching/making excuses?

I'm so fucked w/ the bluebook though.

First off, don't panic until you get your grade back. Second of all, I wouldn't bring it up unless they ask. Then you can explain. The place where it may hurt you the most is with the firms that will not even give you an interview.

Does your school do second summer clerkship interviews in the fall or spring?

PBY

Banned
First off, don't panic until you get your grade back. Second of all, I wouldn't bring it up unless they ask. Then you can explain. The place where it may hurt you the most is with the firms that will not even give you an interview.

Does your school do second summer clerkship interviews in the fall or spring?

Thanks- we have them in the fall. And well, the way I thiiink our school does it is a lottery to get the screening interview (ie my grades won't stop me there), but then as far as callbacks go, then I prob would start getting shut out from interviews, at least thats what I think.

edit: also, our school doesn't calculate GPA or class rank... but they'd still see my transcript obviously

mre

Thanks- we have them in the fall. And well, the way I thiiink our school does it is a lottery to get the screening interview (ie my grades won't stop me there), but then as far as callbacks go, then I prob would start getting shut out from interviews, at least thats what I think.

edit: also, our school doesn't calculate GPA or class rank... but they'd still see my transcript obviously

Lottery? Weird... we would "drop" for particular firms that we wanted to interview with (or with every damn firm to be more accurate). This means that we would have a list of firms coming to interview for a particular day and we would submit our resume to them. They used to actually drop physical resumes into boxes to be reviewed by firms, but now it's digital through symplicity. The firms will then select who they want to interview with.

PBY

Banned
Lottery? Weird... we would "drop" for particular firms that we wanted to interview with (or with every damn firm to be more accurate). This means that we would have a list of firms coming to interview for a particular day and we would submit our resume to them. They used to actually drop physical resumes into boxes to be reviewed by firms, but now it's digital through symplicity. The firms will then select who they want to interview with.

Interesting- I'm not sure if I like that system better or worse to be honest lol. I guess I just can't think about this right now, its just annoying. Thanks for all the tips- and if anyone else ever had experience with interviewing/dealing w/ bad grades, feel free to pm me or post more advice here- any advice is greatly appreciated.

mre

Interesting- I'm not sure if I like that system better or worse to be honest lol. I guess I just can't think about this right now, its just annoying. Thanks for all the tips- and if anyone else ever had experience with interviewing/dealing w/ bad grades, feel free to pm me or post more advice here- any advice is greatly appreciated.

Your way gives everyone in the class a chance to at least interview, but I think the way our school did it saved a bunch of time in the long run. :p

Anyway, congrats to all of law gaf's graduates and non-graduates. Time to look forward to our new crop of 1Ls.

You sure it is pure lottery? Mine does a pre-select as mre is talking about, but for some set number of candidates the firm chooses they have to interview a lottery pick. It is the Rooney rule for bad GPA students, but basically a waste of time. Unless you like to practice interviewing a lot.

PBY

Banned
You sure it is pure lottery? Mine does a pre-select as mre is talking about, but for some set number of candidates the firm chooses they have to interview a lottery pick. It is the Rooney rule for bad GPA students, but basically a waste of time. Unless you like to practice interviewing a lot.

From our paper
"At NYU, each law student bids on interview slots with various law firms and is granted a certain number of interviews, to be conducted over four days, based on a complex lottery system that takes the student’s bids and the popularity of the firm into account. At NYU, most students snagged between 20-25 interviews, though if you were a true masochist like me (or alternatively, absolutely terrified about not getting a job in this economy, like me), you could get up to 40 interviews (I had 35)."

So yeah, i think its a pure formula, firms don't get an initial input

My school is pure lottery based on bids, higher you bid a firm the better your chances. However, your top 20 firms also get to see your resume even if you don't win an interview with them.

MechaX

And here I thought I was done with 2L year.

But then I got the huge ass packet of write-on submissions that I have to grade for LR. I don't know if writing a write-on submission will be worse than grading like 25 of them. *sobs*

Tookay

So... what's the opinion on doing a write-on and getting on law review or a journal? I've had some 2Ls warn me not to do it because it's a time sink, but then we have profs say the usual "it makes you competitive" drivel. I have no idea what you actually do on one because my school did a horrible job introducing us to it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So... what's the opinion on doing a write-on and getting on law review or a journal? I've had some 2Ls warn me not to do it because it's a time sink, but then we have profs say the usual "it makes you competitive" drivel. I have no idea what you actually do on one because my school did a horrible job introducing us to it.

2Ls are full of shit. If you don't have your dad waiting to give you a job, you should make every effort to get onto law review.

Tookay

2Ls are full of shit. If you don't have your dad waiting to give you a job, you should make every effort to get onto law review.

Ugh. That's what I was afraid of, but I knew deep down I'd have to give it a shot.

Do you mind describing what you actually do on law review over the course of a semester?

MechaX

Ugh. That's what I was afraid of, but I knew deep down I'd have to give it a shot.

Do you mind describing what you actually do on law review over the course of a semester?

It's mostly editing and pulling/finding sources for papers selected for publication. The most tedious portion will most likely be finding sources, depending on how stringent your publication is and how crazy the author got when it comes to citations. You also will need to write your own note (in the same format as your write-on submission) throughout the year, usually ranging anywhere between 30 and 80 pages depending on your publication. Your note may or may not get selected for publication in the next year.

Keep in mind that what the 2Ls said is true; it is a time sink and it may even be downright miserable for you. Regardless, if you're not at the absolute top of your class or don't have a job lined up (for instance, a lot of the public interest sector couldn't give a fuck about LR in the grand scheme of things, but it does help regardless), I would make an effort to get on LR.

I'm a law school graduate! :) Also despite taking 6 classes, I received the best grades I've ever gotten in law school in my last semester - all As and one stupid B+. Why couldn't that have been my first semester instead of my last? Gahh. Oh well - not going to spend another second worrying about that because bar classes start tomorrow!

Do it. I've had a lot of employers ask me why I'm not on a journal and what I've done in my spare time to make up for not being on one. Even if it's a secondary journal, it shows employers you can write coherently and have at least a working knowledge of the Bluebook.

mre

It's mostly editing and pulling/finding sources for papers selected for publication. The most tedious portion will most likely be finding sources, depending on how stringent your publication is and how crazy the author got when it comes to citations. You also will need to write your own note (in the same format as your write-on submission) throughout the year, usually ranging anywhere between 30 and 80 pages depending on your publication. Your note may or may not get selected for publication in the next year.

Keep in mind that what the 2Ls said is true; it is a time sink and it may even be downright miserable for you. Regardless, if you're not at the absolute top of your class or don't have a job lined up (for instance, a lot of the public interest sector couldn't give a fuck about LR in the grand scheme of things, but it does help regardless), I would make an effort to get on LR.

Pray, PRAY that your author doesn't use foreign sources!

Law review was a good experience for me. I was a junior editor my 2L year and then a Notes Editor my 3L year. It was a lot of time, but it certainly helped my resume AND I got a total of 6 credit hours that I banked for my final semester my 3L year.

Graduated yesterday. BarBri starts on the 30th, but I realized today they have an intro to the MBE up already. Fuck that. I'm taking a couple days off. I even applied for a job today!

Pray, PRAY that your author doesn't use foreign sources!

Law review was a good experience for me. I was a junior editor my 2L year and then a Notes Editor my 3L year. It was a lot of time, but it certainly helped my resume AND I got a total of 6 credit hours that I banked for my final semester my 3L year.

I (along with 3 dear friends) had to look up sources for a paper that cited almost exclusively foreign law. Oh dear god it was awful.

mre

I (along with 3 dear friends) had to look up sources for a paper that cited almost exclusively foreign law. Oh dear god it was awful.
I dodged that bullet myself, but I lost a friend for 4 weeks to a foreign-sourced article.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

You're crazy. Law review is such bullshit. It'll help you get your job, but once you have your job (which will before you even start on LR), it, and all journals, are just annoying as fuck.

Just be prepared to explain your grade. Honestly, I VERY VERY VERY VERY much doubt you'd get a C, as they are very rare to give out to a 1L. Perhaps you got a B-, which is not the end of the world. You're lucky you're at NYU, as your will have your chance to interview regardless because of their interview week system (which you pointed out). When I interview candidates at my firm, I personally don't place much weight on grades because I know how arbitrary they are.

mre

You're crazy. Law review is such bullshit. It'll help you get your job, but once you have your job (which will before you even start on LR), it, and all journals, are just annoying as fuck.
Not everyone gets firm job offers prior to the start of their 2L year...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Sure, if you happen to be No. 1 in your class at Harvard, Yale or Stanford. What, did you graduate in the mid 90s or something? Don't work like that anymore.

Just went back and read the Bar Exam study thread from last summer - it was hilarious reading about how much you guys hated Franzese's Property lectures due to her peppiness because we just started her lecture today. She is pretty entertaining but I'm sure by day 3 I'll be sick of it.

I wonder if we have enough gaffers studying for the July exams to justify another Bar study thread.

mre

Just went back and read the Bar Exam study thread from last summer - it was hilarious reading about how much you guys hated Franzese's Property lectures due to her peppiness because we just started her lecture today. She is pretty entertaining but I'm sure by day 3 I'll be sick of it.

I wonder if we have enough gaffers studying for the July exams to justify another Bar study thread.
Start one?

her peppiness is ridiculous . . . i'm taking one of her classes next semester, hopefully it won't be too frustrating.

Just started my Barbri course. Pretty terrible first day, mostly because I didn't like the lady who was our lecturer(?) today. I can't really blame her too much, because I think she was just following a script. But reading us 50 questions we just finished reading quickly wore on my patience. Just explain the answers and point out the relevant facts, damn it!

Wish I had had more than a week off. But I guess that is the result of Texas starting the spring semester so late.

exarkun

Question for the graduates:

Last year I did work for a probate and district judge. During the school year I did motions for a employment firm.

This summer I have three options: Fed judge, Federal Clerk program, or work with a medium sized firm. I like the judge alot I think I can learn from him since I expect the material he looks over to be slightly more important and I'll have to deal with monstrous briefs. I'll be his biiiitch.

The clerk program is something new they are trying: You go through from the filing of the complaint all the way to the trial stage and then to post trial filing of either the judgment or final account. So essentially I'll learn the federal administrative filing system (or at least get intro'd to it) and assist the court clerks for two weeks and learn how to file cases and motions and such, then end up with the aforementioned judge for the last three. This sounds the most comprehensive.

The mid sized firm I'd be preparing exhibit/evidence, motions, research, memo's, etc.

Which would be the best "resume" experience? Currently Im leaning towards the Fed judge/Clerk stuff.

mre

Isn't a Federal clerkship somewhat of a big deal?

Federal Clerkships are always good for a resume, but the "big deal" is the post-graduation year/2 year clerkship.

exarkun, is there a chance that the firm may hire you? If so, I would give that a hard look.

Question for the graduates:

Here is my rambling advice based on my own job hunt: Are you a rising 2L or 3L? At this point you need to start thinking about what your plans are after law school. For example: would you want to work at an entry-level position with this mid-sized firm or a similar one out of law school, or do you have big law aspirations? Do you think you'll be pursuing a clerkship for your first year/two years out of law school or are you at a point in life where a firm salary right out of law school is necessary (like if you have a family). Location can matter as well - federal clerkships are impressive everywhere, but working for a mid-sized firm with a good name in one city may mean little if you end up wanting to work on the other end of the country.

I never really put much thought into my post-law school plans when I chose my summer jobs and internships, and employers picked up on that right away. While having experience in many different places and types of law can be seen to employers/judges as a positive, I think it hurt my application when compared to those who had shown dedication and direction towards one type of law throughout the majority of their classes/jobs/internships.

Ok I watched the course preview and I'm starting to look at questions. It took less than 15 minutes to get scared. Goddamnit this is gonna suck isn't it?

EDIT: For BarBri people past or present: Am I supposed to be taking notes during these AMP thingies?

I don't think so. I think it is just based on repetition, recognition of errors, and then learning accidentally in the process just by absorbing.

I believe they are a relatively new thing, but they have been around long enough to say that you score like 7 points higher on the MBE portion if you do them, or something like that.

Of course, they were nice enough to send out an e-mail about them a week after we started the main program, so I'm just going to tackle them as the lectures appear. So, for Contracts I will do the Contracts AMP, Evidence the Evidence AMP, etc.

I guess the Texas Bar must just be earlier? I literally had registration the Monday after I graduate for a July 26 exam.

mre

Ok I watched the course preview and I'm starting to look at questions. It took less than 15 minutes to get scared. Goddamnit this is gonna suck isn't it?

EDIT: For BarBri people past or present: Am I supposed to be taking notes during these AMP thingies?
YES! LET IT BEGIN! We seriously need a thread for this year's Bar-takers.
I don't think so. I think it is just based on repetition, recognition of errors, and then learning accidentally in the process just by absorbing.

I believe they are a relatively new thing, but they have been around long enough to say that you score like 7 points higher on the MBE portion if you do them, or something like that.

Of course, they were nice enough to send out an e-mail about them a week after we started the main program, so I'm just going to tackle them as the lectures appear. So, for Contracts I will do the Contracts AMP, Evidence the Evidence AMP, etc.

I guess the Texas Bar must just be earlier? I literally had registration the Monday after I graduate for a July 26 exam.
Unless I'm mistaken, the Bar exams are all administered the same week, with each state administering the MBE on the same day. The only leeway given to a state is with regards to the dates when they administer the essays.
Not completely undeserved.
:p Bravo to you, sir, for admitting it!

Top Bottom