• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law School & Lawyer GAF

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Well the HOPE was to stay in DC, and I can manage that until at least November like I said. I REALLY don't want to go back to NJ, but at some point I may just have to bite the bullet on that one.

The company I worked for has an office in DC. They probably pay $25-$30/hour there. I can reach out to my contact for you if you like.

Pollux

i've gotta say, one year after graduating, almost a year since taking the bar...i love legal life, i love working, and i love not thinking in semesters. I get paid every 2 weeks, it's like magic.

'oh hey kkaabboomm, go spend the day doing shit you like, go home, have beer/bourbon/wine, relax, spend the weekends having fun, and we'll send you money every two weeks'

I know I may be in the minority, but I'm having a ball. Godspeed to those still in school, more Godspeed for those studying for the bar/looking for work, but if you can get it, enjoy it.

kkaabboomm are you practicing back in KY?

The company I worked for has an office in DC. They probably pay $25-$30/hour there. I can reach out to my contact for you if you like.

Still working on a few leads I've recently come into. I may eventually take you up on that though. Thanks a lot mre. I appreciate it.

EDIT: Also, I've worked at a Starbucks. Never. Again.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
i've gotta say, one year after graduating, almost a year since taking the bar...i love legal life, i love working, and i love not thinking in semesters. I get paid every 2 weeks, it's like magic.

'oh hey kkaabboomm, go spend the day doing shit you like, go home, have beer/bourbon/wine, relax, spend the weekends having fun, and we'll send you money every two weeks'

I know I may be in the minority, but I'm having a ball. Godspeed to those still in school, more Godspeed for those studying for the bar/looking for work, but if you can get it, enjoy it.
Yes. It is awesome.

They just cancelled the program....

Awesome. This is exactly why I don't use words like "hope" and "optimistic." Life is shit and then you die.

Had the same thing happen with a sweet paid internship with a big car manufacturer this summer. Would have paid great, but they cancelled it (after making me go through a two hour interview...).

Also, is anyone on here in the Los Angeles area?

At least in my area they are all over the careerbuilder and monster.com type sites. I don't know how reputable the postings are since I haven't had to look too much into them (yet).

Weren't you interviewing for a gig not that long ago Random? No luck there? If worse comes to worse we can spend a few months commiserating about how stupid people are in the shit they say in their corporate e-mail accounts. When I was doing FOIAs I was always amazed at the shit people said in e-mails that had their job title in the signature.

PS I'm getting drunk tonight. On the way there. This seems like a good decision. Maybe I'll drop in later. I'll probably start telling girls at the bar they don't warrant strict scrutiny.

Kind of similar story: I was interviewing for a 1 year position as an associate at a firm - basically they weren't drowning in extra income and needed someone to handle the doc review kind of stuff for a few big cases but they didn't want to be obligated to keep them after a year. Anyway after a few interviews they let me know they decided to just hire part-time work on an as-needed basis instead. I thought they might have said that just to make me feel better about not getting the job, but yesterday they posted on my school's job site looking for law students available for doc review for a complex case going to trial in mid-August, so I guess it was true. I dealt with the rejection in a similar fashion to what you're planning tonight.

At the moment I've got a few small things that are possibilities but I'm trying my best to focus on passing the bar and convincing myself that my area's market will have more opportunities starting around September.

Pollux

Grades get posted in 5 minutes. I'm freaking out here. I'm convinced I failed everything.

Edit: Alright first grade is back...best news is I improved Contracts from a C 1st semester to a B+ this semester. Hopefully that's a sign of what's to come with the rest of the grades.

Kind of similar story: I was interviewing for a 1 year position as an associate at a firm - basically they weren't drowning in extra income and needed someone to handle the doc review kind of stuff for a few big cases but they didn't want to be obligated to keep them after a year. Anyway after a few interviews they let me know they decided to just hire part-time work on an as-needed basis instead. I thought they might have said that just to make me feel better about not getting the job, but yesterday they posted on my school's job site looking for law students available for doc review for a complex case going to trial in mid-August, so I guess it was true. I dealt with the rejection in a similar fashion to what you're planning tonight.

At the moment I've got a few small things that are possibilities but I'm trying my best to focus on passing the bar and convincing myself that my area's market will have more opportunities starting around September.

Sorry to hear that. Hope things work out.

Last night was a definitely a solid plan. I'm done with being angry now. Back to studying and harassing contacts. The major problem with all of this is it's hard to stay motivated to keep working when you don't feel like anything ever comes of it. The way I put it to my one friend is no one should ever be this busy/stressed with things to do and unemployed at the same time. It just makes no damn sense.

O and good luck zmoney! This shouldn't affect the transfer though right?

Pollux

O and good luck zmoney! This shouldn't affect the transfer though right?

Final grades? Yea they're pretty important lol. But if I can get a year GPA of above a 3.00, with good recommendations and a good LSAT score, then I should be competitive for all the schools I applied to except Indiana. Indiana was the one I applied to on the off chance I somehow pulled straight A's this semester haha.

Can someone please tell me why the LSAT score matters at all in the transfer process?

PBY

Banned
Good luck z, youll be ite... As far as my grades/jerb situation... My ocs counselor basically said I was straight for a firm job. I don't understand any of this process.

private practice, corporate litigation, down in Atlanta.

I know how rare that is, especially now a days. In another year, I'm gonna try to make the switch to a small boutique firm doing Trusts and Estates, which is my real interest. No one in this entire city would talk to me without 2 years experience, but they all said they loved my interest and to give them a call after 2 years. So we'll see.

Jintor

Interviewing for an internship early next month... scary stuff ;__;

I've never been in an interview situation before in my life :T

Pollux

Wear a suit and make sure the color of the tie is appropriate. No solid red ties since that's a power color so stick with blues, grays, purples, etc.

But most importantly wear a damn suit. The number of people in my law class who wore "business casual" to interviews at law firms or internships makes me want to scream. Not to mention that it seems nobody under the age of 25 or so knows what business casual means.

Final grades? Yea they're pretty important lol. But if I can get a year GPA of above a 3.00, with good recommendations and a good LSAT score, then I should be competitive for all the schools I applied to except Indiana. Indiana was the one I applied to on the off chance I somehow pulled straight A's this semester haha.

Can someone please tell me why the LSAT score matters at all in the transfer process?

Ok I was confused where you were in the process. I thought you had already gotten in somewhere. I hope things work out!

Did people seriously go to interviews in something other than a suit? Colleges need to start offering courses in professionalism.

Pollux

Ok I was confused where you were in the process. I thought you had already gotten in somewhere. I hope things work out!

Did people seriously go to interviews in something other than a suit? Colleges need to start offering courses in professionalism.

Thanks!

And, yes. Not only was he not in slacks and a button shirt which loose "business casual" he was rocking a pair of jeans and a button shirt. I really wanted to slap him. As far as I'm aware, and what I've always been told, is that "business casual" just means a suit without the tie and the top button unbuttoned. Granted the definition of business casual changes depending on the industry you're in, but from what I've seen at the firms I've worked at...my definition seems to be appropriate. And that way you're never the one that's too casual. Better to be overdressed than underdressed for any occasion.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Thanks!

And, yes. Not only was he not in slacks and a button shirt which loose "business casual" he was rocking a pair of jeans and a button shirt. I really wanted to slap him. As far as I'm aware, and what I've always been told, is that "business casual" just means a suit without the tie and the top button unbuttoned. Granted the definition of business casual changes depending on the industry you're in, but from what I've seen at the firms I've worked at...my definition seems to be appropriate. And that way you're never the one that's too casual. Better to be overdressed than underdressed for any occasion.

We're business casual in the office, and that includes khakis most days and jeans on Fridays. But never for an interview.

Pollux

We're business casual in the office, and that includes khakis most days and jeans on Fridays. But never for an interview.

Yea, business casual definitely changes depending on the place you're working. But interview attire is pretty much set in stone.

YoungHav

Banned
Hahaha I had an interview that said not to wear a suit, my dumbass wore a suit and the interviewer called me out on it lol. Didn't get that job.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Contact your career services office and do a mock interview.

Interviews are my biggest strength. I've never not gotten an offer after the interview. Work hard at getting good at them.

YoungHav

Banned
question for those practicing, do you habitually audio record client conversations, interviews etc... If so, what equipment would you recommend?

So I had a meeting with career services and that was pretty affirming. Obviously some of my "dream firms" have led to a cold water bath, but there are still some really good places I might have a shot at.

So I can just continue networking and polishing my interview skills. Then I hope for the best.

MechaX

Hahaha I had an interview that said not to wear a suit, my dumbass wore a suit and the interviewer called me out on it lol. Didn't get that job.

Man, that's just one of those "crap-shoot" scenarios. I think I recall that kind of thing happening to a classmate, but the interviewer was a rebel, disagreed with the "business casual" provision, and still wanted people to wear suits. Those kinds of things just happen sometimes.

genjiZERO

Studying for the VA bar and starting to crack just a little.... I've become very tense and argumentative. This morning at breakfast (on Saturdays I go to breakfast at a greasy spoon in the ghetto with my uncles - think the Greeks from the Wire) I blasted at one of the for his bullshit conservative opinions and went into a rant about gay marriage. Just now at dinner (I'm living at home whilst I study) my dad was mouthing off about "international law is useless", and I tried to correct him, but he kept on so I stood up said, "I don't have time to waste on this nonsense" and got up and went back to my desk. Girlfriend is about to become ex-girlfriend too...

Top Bottom