• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law School & Lawyer GAF

exarkun

thanks for the advice MRE, byak, and Random.

I ended up taking the Fed Court job while working at the firm part time. i log about 30 hours at the court and 20 at the firm. Its been good so far, been busy and thus i didn't post.

Quick Question: I was doing the filing for some post-judgment reports/final accounting/preservation of judgment type stuff (or payment schedules for judgments) and noticed that there were some errors. Notified the judges and now am assigned to fixing it and if I can't fix it then getting the lawyer on the phone/seeing them in person and fixing it. Anyone ever have to deal with this? Cause its mad tedious and the lawyers can never fucking remember the specifics of a case.

I've also finally realized that even lawyers in fed court are lazy bums. Basically, I hate all of you.

MechaX

Welp. The rest of the grades are in for my school. Typical "underperform on classes you thought you did well in, overperform in classes you thought you bombed" kind of affair. Kinda sucks that Law School is mostly give or take in terms of good fortune in my experience most times. "Oh, you actually achieved something in the school year? Take some meh grades to put you back to square one."

At least it's almost over.

Ha, my first grade was my best grade, which set me up for much disappointment over the next couple of years. I had the same prof for one of my last classes. Same grade.

He must be the only one that likes my writing style. It was the worst of my finals this semester, so it will probably be my best grade.

Basically, what I am saying MechaX, is that I know that feel.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
$10K demand from plaintiff.

$176 agreed settlement.

Eff you for wasting my time with this BS.

But I feel worse for the other attorney.

i love evidence. got an A in it this past semester, now i'm working on an amicus appellate brief on a range of evidence issues. never would have guessed i would like this stuff.

^^^^^ I'm almost done with law school too and I think what I'm going to miss most are all the chicks. Really.

So I actually took the time to scan my barbri class today and this is the first thing that came to my mind. I actually visualized this post. Where do all these gorgeous women go after they pass the bar? I never see them in the work environment.... Gov't employment ftl I guess...

YoungHav

Banned
^^ congrats. Lawschool A's are the best. I only got 1 (Corporations), satisfying as hell b/c my prof was tough/intimidating.

^^ congrats. Lawschool A's are the best. I only got 1 (Corporations), satisfying as hell b/c my prof was tough/intimidating.

Getting an A on my worst final, and a B on my best makes me think law school finals are just a random crapshoot. Still nicer crapshoot when you land on A's, though.

Pollux

Getting an A on my worst final, and a B on my best makes me think law school finals are just a random crapshoot. Still nicer crapshoot when you land on A's, though.

I think my profs stand at the top of the stairs with a strips of paper each of which have a students name written on them. They then throw them down the steps. The ones that make it to the bottom get A's, the next few steps up get B+'s, after that B's, as we get closer to the prof the grades get lower.

At least that's how it seems. It makes me feel better to think that's how they grade when I get a B- on an exam I busted my ass for all semester.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think my profs stand at the top of the stairs with a strips of paper each of which have a students name written on them. They then throw them down the steps. The ones that make it to the bottom get A's, the next few steps up get B+'s, after that B's, as we get closer to the prof the grades get lower.

At least that's how it seems. It makes me feel better to think that's how they grade when I get a B- on an exam I busted my ass for all semester.

Most of the time most student answers are very similar and they just run them through the curve machine.

YoungHav

Banned
I have a question. How much do lawyers usually pay doctors for answering a subpoena for medical records? And who usually sets the fee? A doctor I know is providing 1 patient record and the lawyer only gave him a $15 check.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I have a question. How much do lawyers usually pay doctors for answering a subpoena for medical records? And who usually sets the fee? A doctor I know is providing 1 patient record and the lawyer only gave him a $15 check.

Eh, they usually charge per page.
Grades in- bottom 1/3- 1/4 at my school- how fucked am I for a firm job?
Oh, man. I'm sorry to hear that. Kill it during your internships this summer and focus on your classes next year.

Does your school even tell you that? My school only gave us the top 1/3 cutoff. Your school likely has a GPA history for firms that go to your OCI. Go and compare. I will warn that those histories can be misleading. I interviewed with 11 firms that had median hiring GPAs BELOW mine and had 0 callbacks because their standards had jumped astronomically.

YoungHav

Banned
All is not lost. Do internships during the summer and the school yr. Build build build that resume. I know people who were in your situation that are doing well as attorneys because they built that experience and got great jobs.

PBY

Banned
Thanks guys- feeling better lol. Objectively Im lucky enough to have a good paying 1l job (in house), so that maybe could help hopefully. Also, I have a decent shot of networking, I got a diversity scholarship this year. Gonna have to network so hard.

Pollux

Thanks guys- feeling better lol. Objectively Im lucky enough to have a good paying 1l job (in house), so that maybe could help hopefully. Also, I have a decent shot of networking, I got a diversity scholarship this year. Gonna have to network so hard.

Don't feel too bad. I've come to the conclusion that networking is really about 90% of what matters for getting a job, both during the summer while in law school and for once you get out.

As I think everyone in this thread knows my grades are highly mediocre. I landed a good paying internship this summer at a medium-sized firm specializing in medical malpractice and they really don't care what my grades are/were. They only care that I know how to do research, write memos and motions, etc. So the interview was far more important than my grades were.

I'm moving back home and I've already got interviews set up in August with a judge and with one of the largest firms in the region. You just have to work that network.

Actual-Law-GAF...feel free to correct me, but I'm just giving my impression based upon what I've seen so far.

EDIT: I'll be on here Friday ready to kill myself when grades come back. So while I may sound upbeat and confident now, that will spiral rapidly into depression Friday afternoon.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Work your ass off at your internships. Show that your grades don't reflect your ability. That's all you can do now.

Pollux

On my phone so this might not make sense so bear with me and let me know of it doesn't.

I don't want to give too many details since its an active case.

But the Court wrote that, "Where a plaintiff is in notice of a likely cause, he then has the duty to discover from the legal, scientific, and medical communities whether the theory of causation is supportable and whether it supports a legal claim.".

I need to argue that the plaintiff knew about the causation before he claimed he learned of it. So would it be safe to say that if the plaintiff were to learn that someone with the same injuries from the same defendant was pursuing a legal claim then he would be put on notice that a connection between the harm he complains of and the defendants actions existed?

So...P2 was psychologically damaged by D's conduct X; P2 learns that P1, suffering the same damage from the same actions by the same D. P2 learns that P1 is filing a lawsuit to recover damages. Would that be something that would be REASONABLY LIKELY to put P2 on notice that there MAY be a casual connection between P2's injuries and D's actions?

I'm sorry if that doesnt make any sense.

mre

On my phone so this might not make sense so bear with me and let me know of it doesn't.

I don't want to give too many details since its an active case.

But the Court wrote that, "Where a plaintiff is in notice of a likely cause, he then has the duty to discover from the legal, scientific, and medical communities whether the theory of causation is supportable and whether it supports a legal claim.".

I need to argue that the plaintiff knew about the causation before he claimed he learned of it. So would it be safe to say that if the plaintiff were to learn that someone with the same injuries from the same defendant was pursuing a legal claim then he would be put on notice that a connection between the harm he complains of and the defendants actions existed?

So...P2 was psychologically damaged by D's conduct X; P2 learns that P1, suffering the same damage from the same actions by the same D. P2 learns that P1 is filing a lawsuit to recover damages. Would that be something that would be REASONABLY LIKELY to put P2 on notice that there MAY be a casual connection between P2's injuries and D's actions?

I'm sorry if that doesnt make any sense.

How did P2 learn of this? What's the underlying issue--statute of limitations or what?

Pollux

How did P2 learn of this? What's the underlying issue--statute of limitations or what?
Statute of limitations. P2 learned of this when P1 contacted him and asked P2 to join in a lawsuit.

I worded this horribly. But I figured it out so it's all good now.

Admitted in NY on Monday. Now I'm a full blown legal thug.

Congratulations, you are now ManHav..... or something. CONGRATS!

EDIT: In other news I'm waiting on hearing back from a fellowship my former boss told me should be "no problem" for me to get. They're supposedly sending out interviews requests on Friday. I'm so terrified. There are a lot of things that could go wrong with this, but it is BY FAR my best chance of long term employment. It's with the city government and I've spent a lot of time working for them throughout law school so I would be pretty upset if I didn't at least get the interview.

Congratulations, you are now ManHav..... or something. CONGRATS!

EDIT: In other news I'm waiting on hearing back from a fellowship my former boss told me should be "no problem" for me to get. They're supposedly sending out interviews requests on Friday. I'm so terrified. There are a lot of things that could go wrong with this, but it is BY FAR my best chance of long term employment. It's with the city government and I've spent a lot of time working for them throughout law school so I would be pretty upset if I didn't at least get the interview.

They just cancelled the program....

Awesome. This is exactly why I don't use words like "hope" and "optimistic." Life is shit and then you die.

They just cancelled the program....

Awesome. This is exactly why I don't use words like "hope" and "optimistic." Life is shit and then you die.

Ugh I'm so sorry! That sucks hardcore. That's exactly what you need right now while studying for the bar.

I force myself not to get optimistic anymore - I didn't kill myself to apply for jobs and clerkships in the fall because I was assured from several lawyers that I'd be a shoe-in for a clerkship with one of several judges in our main court. It ended up that those judges offered the positions to their previous summer clerks first and they took them. It sucked and I'm still irritated at myself for assuming everything would work out the way I wanted.

i've gotta say, one year after graduating, almost a year since taking the bar...i love legal life, i love working, and i love not thinking in semesters. I get paid every 2 weeks, it's like magic.

'oh hey kkaabboomm, go spend the day doing shit you like, go home, have beer/bourbon/wine, relax, spend the weekends having fun, and we'll send you money every two weeks'

I know I may be in the minority, but I'm having a ball. Godspeed to those still in school, more Godspeed for those studying for the bar/looking for work, but if you can get it, enjoy it.

Cat Party

i've gotta say, one year after graduating, almost a year since taking the bar...i love legal life, i love working, and i love not thinking in semesters. I get paid every 2 weeks, it's like magic.

'oh hey kkaabboomm, go spend the day doing shit you like, go home, have beer/bourbon/wine, relax, spend the weekends having fun, and we'll send you money every two weeks'

I know I may be in the minority, but I'm having a ball. Godspeed to those still in school, more Godspeed for those studying for the bar/looking for work, but if you can get it, enjoy it.

You can't possibly be in private practice.

I can't describe how much I hate you.

mre

If all else fails, there is always doc review. It will crush your soul, but it will pay more than starbucks.

If all else fails, there is always doc review. It will crush your soul, but it will pay more than starbucks.

How do you get into that? Seriously, I never even see postings. Do you have to be barred in the state? I'm guessing yes right? I can probably waive into DC by January and I'm probably between loans and my school's bridge program until November. I can figure something out in between.

mre

How do you get into that? Seriously, I never even see postings. Do you have to be barred in the state? I'm guessing yes right? I can probably waive into DC by January and I'm probably between loans and my school's bridge program until November. I can figure something out in between.

No, as long as you are licensed in a state. Where are you going to be living?

No, as long as you are licensed in a state. Where are you going to be living?

Well the HOPE was to stay in DC, and I can manage that until at least November like I said. I REALLY don't want to go back to NJ, but at some point I may just have to bite the bullet on that one.

YoungHav

Banned
Hahahah I just set up a doc review interview. Then after the fact googled the agency and the feed back and tears of rage do look soul crushing. I need the money though lol.

Congrats! What type of law are you doing?

Top Bottom