• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends Championship Series: Season 5

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
We did it boys!

ZF4Kskt.jpg

In unrelated news, pros are tall as fuck.

It being in MGS might lend some credence towards it. Although I'm not sure many older folk will understand watching competitive video games no matter how entrenched it becomes in society.

He knows I am geeky along with my older brother, he used to play games himself before they gave him motion sickness*. I just didn't want to end up explaining the whole thing to him when he is probably not that interested and we had more important things to talk about.

*He beat A Link To The Past with only 1200 deaths. He also was really excited for Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 on Gamecube, but was disappointed that he couldn't deal with the motion sickness it gave him.

Just watched the game. Zion is not only fucking hot, the guy has skills.

I saw the two clips from espn. Kinda sad that when the hosts talk about LoL and sports they have this grin. They can't say it with a straight face.
I do prefer this "little" thing called esports to remain niche, it has it's advantages.

Great games and congrats to CLG. Zion with a beard <3

MSG is a pretty big deal as far as venues go, yeah. It's not unlike having your art on display in the Louvre; people may not know what you do or have any respect for your work, but just the fact that you played MSG lets them know you're sort of a big deal in whatever it is you're doing.

Watching the VoD for CLG/TSM, yeah CLG is playing extremely confident. This is something missing from alot of NA teams, confidence to push without wards and to own their space. Zion played Yasuo brilliantly, and he wasn't afraid to push without coverage. When TSM has a lead, or whatever other team does, they tend to huddle together and ward anxiously before making moves. It's a huge difference.

kenbo

MSG is a pretty big deal as far as venues go, yeah. It's not unlike having your art on display in the Louvre; people may not know what you do or have any respect for your work, but just the fact that you played MSG lets them know you're sort of a big deal in whatever it is you're doing.

I... Did not expect this kind of analogy....

Oh man ZionSpartans clutch as fuck TP top in game 2. Goddamn CLG CLG.

Edit-Shiiit Doublelifts penta. WHY DIDN'T YOU FOCUS HIM TSM. MORONS. Dyrus uses ult on Gragas, Bjerg is trying to kill Janna, it's like holy fuck what are they doing.

Holy crap they must've been tilting hard.

I... Did not expect this kind of analogy....

You'd be surprised at some of the things that have been in the Louvre. As an example, the author of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has had his work on display there. Did most of the people visiting know anything about manga, or likely have any great deal respect for mangaka? Probably not. They probably understood well enough that he's a big deal in the field, though.

i think today with the double pentakills and everything shows that pro adcs whining about them being phased out of importance or whatever are insane

It's possible pro ADCs just need to play more Trist and Jinx and less Corki and Sivir, huh?

Nah, probably just crazy talk.

zkylon

zkylewd
clg looked pretty good and were also pretty fun to watch, i don't think they'll do too well at worlds but i'm glad there's a fun na team at least. like, tsm and liquid are such a bore to watch. tip is fun i guess but they're too random i guess

speaking of which, it's pretty likely that liquid and tip will have to play yet another bo5 against each other to see who keeps going lol. poor liquid, it's like they have to play a billion fourth place games lol

also there's chances c9 will somehow make it to worlds now?

lol that's pretty funny

I think if CLG keeps their momentum going they can do well at Finals. They really shit on the competition, they played aggressively, they played confidently. TSM showed that they're nothing tonight. I mean, Bjerg started taking Yasuo after getting his ass handed to him by Yasuo. And he failed to play him.

I have faith in CLG.

clg looked pretty good and were also pretty fun to watch, i don't think they'll do too well at worlds but i'm glad there's a fun na team at least. like, tsm and liquid are such a bore to watch. tip is fun i guess but they're too random i guess

speaking of which, it's pretty likely that liquid and tip will have to play yet another bo5 against each other to see who keeps going lol. poor liquid, it's like they have to play a billion fourth place games lol

also there's chances c9 will somehow make it to worlds now?

lol that's pretty funny

I think this year's Worlds is more wide open than in the past. Obviously Korean/Chinese teams are favorites. Everybody knows that.

Still, take Korea, SKT and KT are still two of the 5 best teams in the world, but the competition in that region is thinner than it's ever been. You wonder if they're adequately prepared for an international competition.

Chines teams have gotten stronger, and that's big. But out of the 5 teams that might qualify, LGD/QG/Snake have very little international experience as a team (individual players sure, but we've seen time and again that that's not enough). EDG is built to win a competition like Worlds, but who knows with their recent slump. And iG is still iG.

It's gonna be an interesting tournament, unlike last year's where we just expected Blue/White to roll through every team.

I think CLG has a legit shot to get out of group stages at least. Their diverse champion pools will help them a lot in Bo5, but it is hard to say with the meta drastically changing.

They have three world class players with Double, Aphro, and Zion, then one solid/consistent mid laner, and one jungler who is consistent on a few champions (that we know of). Hopefully their aggressive, proactive play style will get them somewhere.

Fnatic looked very vulnerable against Origen. They got very cocky multiple times and showed that they could get out-picked in drafting. They are good at adapting which saved them in the long series, but it can be exploited. If they fuck up as much as they did against Origen, things will not go well for them at worlds.

Godan

Personally I feel Fnatic are the best team from EU and NA but i think that Fnatic, CLG and TSM will make it out of groups. The other teams from EU will get stomped like last year.

Would like to see the 3rd team from NA to be C9.

Edit: When is the draw for worlds anyway?

Personally I feel Fnatic are the best team from EU and NA but i think that Fnatic, CLG and TSM will make it out of groups. The other teams from EU will get stomped like last year.

Will depend on the draw.

TSM just got exposed hard, I think they have the talent to do well, but will need to make some serious strategical changes if they want to do well.

I imagine the draw will be sometime in early September after the gauntlet runs for each region.

I don't think the date is released yet. It can't happen until all the teams are known anyway, which won't be till after the Korean Regionals (Korea's final is next weekend, but the regionals won't finish till September 5th).

The one thing I'll say for CLG at Worlds is that I feel CLG is much better at adapting to changes in an uncertain meta. ZionSpartan and Aphromoo both have the largest and most varied champion pools at their position, and both adopt new (or "new") champions much faster than just about any other player I can think of.

TSM's strength and weakness has always been in playing very orthodox to the current meta, which is great when you have a meta that's largely been able to stabilize (Regionals), but quite poor playing into a meta that's largely unknown (Worlds). That's one of the major reasons they've always under-performed there.

That's also why I'd like to see TIP for the 3rd slot on the NA ticket. I feel like they're better at making those abrupt adaptations than Liquid, who somewhat share TSM's tendency to "grow" into a meta the longer it's remained relatively static.

Of the 8 spots left to claim, here's the dates for them:

August 29: Korea #1 seed, wild card spot
August 31: NA #3 seed, EU #3 seed
September 5: Korea #3, China #2/#3, wild card spot

Teams are finally punishing TL and TSM for their very slow, methodical style. I really enjoy TIP and CLG games because things actually happen in those games.

zkylon

zkylewd
fnatic seems on a level of their own in the west, even if they struggled a bit against origen, watching the games it always felt like they were struggling against their own overeagerness and like picking tahm and whatever, i don't know if they played their games to their fullest

tsm looked really weak and play in a style that's gonna get rolled over by good teams, specially because while they're usually good at turtling, they're not cj entus that can actually teamfight super impressively to make like 6k leads not matter and whatnot.

considering it's one team per region per group and kt and skt look really strong and all three chinese teams look really strong (and cj/koo are pretty good when they show up), it's gonna be a hard fight for the few spots out of groups left, specially since there's also gonna be ahq

i think there's a lot of luck involved not getting stuck in a group with both a korean and chinese team for the western team that moves on

I think Game 4 of Fnatic/Origen was definitely a case of one team consistently outplaying the other but losing to a better late game teamcomp. Fnatic either overestimated their ability to close out the game before Tristana got going, or thought they could deal with her in the late game. 15k gold leads are meaningless when a late game AD has Lulu and a Harbinger's backing them up. Game 1 was a close loss to a poke comp where they were actually doing fine for the first 20 minutes or so, but made one crucial mistake before they could outscale.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
i think today with the double pentakills and everything shows that pro adcs whining about them being phased out of importance or whatever are insane

pankak you're tiny haha

This is the pro scene the entire team works towards getting the ADC farm, kills, and protection. ADC is solo queue is still shit alone.

Also fk you. Come down here and stay that to my face m8. <3

Was this before or after they won? Zion's falling asleep over there haha.

After they won I wanted to hug Zion but we literally had like 8 seconds to talk to the guys and Aphromoo is my fucking hero. Zion just blinked btw probably not that tired lol.

Fk you, east coast servers are here tomorrow and we gonna ranked.

I think the average strength of this years' WC teams will be higher than ever, even if there's not team with the extreme strength of Samsung White in 2014 or SKT in 2013. I'd definitely take the KOO Tigers and KT/CJ over Najin Shield from last year, the Chinese set will obviously be its strongest yet, and so will the GPL's. Fnatic/H2K/Origen is likely Europe's strongest group too. Only NA is arguably weaker with a lesser TSM than last year, and no in form C9. I wouldn't totally count out the possibility of TSM raising their game, but with roster changes likely to happen after Worlds (Dyrus' retirement), maybe it's less likely.

zkylon

zkylewd
yea i'm pretty hype for this worlds

like, msi was awesome, it really delivered and now we have teams like kt and lgd and even fnatic (and probably ahq, i dunno), so i think worlds is gonna be great

i really really really want to see madlife at worlds too ;_;

This is the pro scene the entire team works towards getting the ADC farm, kills, and protection. ADC is solo queue is still shit alone.
i mean, like, as it should be, adc is the only role with mommies, so as they grow up they get a little bit dependent

us mids we only have this weird uncle that like shows up sometimes to give us free mana and live in fear of that other abusive uncle we dont like so much

im great at analogies :>

Also fk you. Come down here and stay that to my face m8. <3
hey dont be ashamed!

it's cute!

I think the average strength of this years' WC teams will be higher than ever, even if there's not team with the extreme strength of Samsung White in 2014 or SKT in 2013. I'd definitely take the KOO Tigers and KT/CJ over Najin Shield from last year, the Chinese set will obviously be its strongest yet, and so will the GPL's. Fnatic/H2K/Origen is likely Europe's strongest group too. Only NA is arguably weaker with a lesser TSM than last year, and no in form C9. I wouldn't totally count out the possibility of TSM raising their game, but with roster changes likely to happen after Worlds (Dyrus' retirement), maybe it's less likely.

Forget SSW for a second, I think last year's Blue is better than any team in the field this year.

Hmm C9 will take that 3rd seed, no point in talking about TiP or TL at world. ;)

They have been training in a hyperbolic time chamber as the other teams have been exposing themselves and distracted by silly things like summer playoffs. I hope against all odds that C9 make it to Worlds.

Hmm C9 will take that 3rd seed, no point in talking about TiP or TL at world. ;)

I don't know, I'm worried Hai's jungle style is going to be "figured out" by then - basically, that once people realize he's just not a very good jungler and he's "unpredictable" because his pathing is generally straight-up poor, he won't have that wild card factor to him anymore.

And really, Hai as an X Factor is the only thing that pulled them out of Tailspin C9 to begin with, and even then only into more of a controlled crash.

Top Bottom