• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

What i don't get about the dynamic q is everyone is claiming the games aren't even and they're getting matched against groups, but how do they know?

They go online and look up summoners in order to see if they have grouped with other people in the game during their recent matches.

garath

Sticking with dynamic queue apparently Also he says they'll be releasing a separate solo only queue(no duos) in a couple weeks. I don't know how I feel about that, they really should just stick by their guns or not, segmenting the ranked queue's isn't a good thing in my opinion.

Meh. Not a fan of this decision. They're waffling instead of making a choice. Trying to please all and instead going to segment the community. Splitting ranked queues like that seems like a terrible decision. Especially if all the rewards and focus is geared to dynamic.

I think they are hoping that they appease the naysayers with the solo queue and let the community shift to dynamic naturally. Might even reach out to their pro players and ask them to only play in dynamic.

Whatever. I guess I'll just play dynamic and care a tiny bit less about it. GAF gold want to rock some dynamic ranked with me? ;)

Pro players will pick one queue and the community will follow, leaving the other to die.

Frankly I won't even bother with the solo queue.

Edwardo

I'm loving Dynamic Ranked right now. Everyone on the team gets the role they want, and I get to fill. It's the perfect system.

I doubt i'll ever bother with a solo queue if they add it. Why are they so quick to announce it/implement it right now? Dynamic Ranked hasn't even been out for a week yet.

Leezard

I'm loving Dynamic Ranked right now. Everyone on the team gets the role they want, and I get to fill. It's the perfect system.

I doubt i'll ever bother with a solo queue if they add it. Why are they so quick to announce it/implement it right now? Dynamic Ranked hasn't even been out for a week yet.

Probably because the reddit and streamer outrage has been huge.

garath

I think everyone agrees the role choosing and way the champ selection goes is pretty slick. The issue people are having is with the dynamic team size. Premades from 2-5 are able to queue in ranked. That's the outrage.

I've been concerned about the premade issue from the moment they announced it. I haven't had very many good experiences playing with or against premades that are not my own friends. Introducing that to ranked seemed like a bad idea but if they want to do it, they should stick to their guns, ignore Reddit and work on making it as good as possible. Adding a solo queue doesn't seem like the answer.

Edwardo

I think everyone agrees the role choosing and way the champ selection goes is pretty slick. The issue people are having is with the dynamic team size. Premades from 2-5 are able to queue in ranked. That's the outrage.

I've been concerned about the premade issue from the moment they announced it. I haven't had very many good experiences playing with or against premades that are not my own friends. Introducing that to ranked seemed like a bad idea but if they want to do it, they should stick to their guns, ignore Reddit and work on making it as good as possible. Adding a solo queue doesn't seem like the answer.

Personally, I've never really had any issues playing with or against a premade. If i'm against one, it just makes me want to have better communication/teamwork with my teammates and just play better in general. If it's with a premade, then again, it just makes me play better as a teammate. Everyone gets the role they want, so it's not like solo people are being forced into some role they don't want to play. The worst would be they have to play a style of champion that they don't want, but that happened anyways in solo queue.

It's similar to how I like playing inhouses with everyone. I'm up against a lot of higher ranked players with better knowledge of how the game works. I get to think more about how i'm playing and I can learn things that I don't necessarily see everyday in ranked.

I understand that the higher you go, the less likely a solo team or a team with small groups will win against a large premade. So I can see the trouble there.

Talents

Banned
Jesus christ, I like the idea of their being a separate solo queue, but making it so solo queue doesn't get rewards is dumb as shit. Solo queue is without a doubt going to require more skill so I don't see why it doesn't get any ranked rewards.

Also why can ranked 5 teams no longer play together if the ranks are too imbalanced? I'm Diamond but most 3 of my 4 other ranked 5 friends are Silver, does this mean I'll need to make a smurf if we want to do ranked 5s?

Fracas

#fuckonami
So is that new solo queue going to be just like the one in previous season? I want to get my preferred role every game. Can I go by myself in dynamic queue? I'm on mobile so I may have missed something.

Edwardo

So is that new solo queue going to be just like the one in previous season? I want to get my preferred role every game. Can I go by myself in dynamic queue? I'm on mobile so I may have missed something.

I would assume you'll be able to go into Dynamic Queue alone. Otherwise it would only be groups of 2 or 3, or groups of 5 getting into games.

Quonny

Good. Fuck solo queue. Bunch of whiners.

Riot needed to just say "fuck you" to the small vocal minority and implement what they wanted. In two weeks no one will even remember. Who is even going to play solo queue? If you ever, ever play with friends, you'll play dynamic queue all the time.

God I hate Reddit.

Leezard

You can't duo in the new solo queue. I don't know whether we get the whole "choose two roles" in the new solo queue though.

You can definitely queue alone in Dynamic queue though.

Balthuk

I want someone to explain to me why graves feels so strong yet I meet very few people playing him. He is strong top,jungle,adc and fun to play. Has he been nerfed since his rework?

Quonny

I want someone to explain to me why graves feels so strong yet I meet very few people playing him. He is strong top,jungle,adc and fun to play. Has he been nerfed since his rework?

Hard to play. I mean, he's not THAT hard, but he is kinda risky and his Q takes some time to get used to.

Talents

Banned
Good. Fuck solo queue. Bunch of whiners.

Riot needed to just say "fuck you" to the small vocal minority and implement what they wanted. In two weeks no one will even remember. Who is even going to play solo queue? If you ever, ever play with friends, you'll play dynamic queue all the time.

God I hate Reddit.

I'm uniquely going to play Solo queue, unless they decide to take ranked rewards and make it so only dynamic queue gets them, then I'll get get gold quick and go back to Solo queue. All my friends are 2 or more tiers below me so I couldn't play with them in dynamic even if I wanted to.

garath

I've personally given up on following the OP champs. Not enough time. By the time I get good enough with them to completely dominate, they get nerfed. Everything is cyclical anyways. My champs will come back.

Quonny

I'm uniquely going to play Solo queue, unless they decide to take ranked awards and make it so only dynamic queue gets them, then I'll get get gold quick and go back to Solo queue. All my friends are 2 or more tiers below me so I couldn't play with them in dynamic even if I wanted to.

I wonder how many people are like you. Not to downplay what you feel is important, I just don't see how making a small group of people a little happier is going to be a good thing when the tradeoff is potentially longer queues and confusion with the system itself. How does solo queue effect dynamic queue? How much LP do you get/lose in solo queue compared to dynamic? etc.

I dunno, I just think Riot needed to make the lords of Reddit a little upset for a few weeks so we could have an overall healthier system. But that's just my opinion.

Hard

Banned
I have a strong feeling Solo Ranked is going to die out pretty quickly once the pros choose dynamic over it. Even as a primarily solo player, unless solo picks up steam, I'm likely gravitating towards dynamic as that's where the rewards are at.

What I don't understand is why copying good ideas from other MOBAs is so taboo. DOTA does it great, with solo players queuing up against 3 man premades max, 2 against 4, and 5s against other 5s. 4s shouldn't queue up at all, it's not hard to find a 5th. Having separate queues is going to result in one of them dying. I feel this more of a power play from Lyte and co. to urge players towards accepting dynamic queue than actually giving the base what they want. I wouldn't be surprised to see Riot merge the two once people complain about Solo Q being dead and guffaw about being right over Reddit, even though they wrote the correct answer themselves.

Short ranged ADC with an unique auto mechanic that also has very unforgiving mana costs

Graves is moderately hard to play unless when he's too strong.

Talents

Banned
Wait, they're not adding the Solo queue at the same time as Dynamic queue? That's pretty bullshit. I bet they are going to use that as an excuse when looking at statistics of who plays what queue more. People will start with dynamic queue and spend enough time playing it that they won't bother switching over to solo queue when it is released. Then they'll say "Well look at the numbers, more people seem to be playing dynamic queue than solo queue" like no shit there are.

pigeon

Banned

appeasement.

At first I was really surprised by this plan to split queues, but after reading the entire message it's pretty clear to me that they don't really anticipate any significant number of people to use the solo only queue. This allows them to say they're catering to everyone without having to actually support the dynamic haters (which is fine since there are like very few of them in reality).

garath

Wait, they're not adding the Solo queue at the same time as Dynamic queue? That's pretty bullshit. I bet they are going to use that as an excuse when looking at statistics of who plays what queue more. People will start with dynamic queue and spend enough time playing it that they won't bother switching over to solo queue when it is released. Then they'll say "Well look at the numbers, more people seem to be playing dynamic queue than solo queue" like no shit there are.

appeasement.

At first I was really surprised by this plan to split queues, but after reading the entire message it's pretty clear to me that they don't really anticipate any significant number of people to use the solo only queue. This allows them to say they're catering to everyone without having to actually support the dynamic haters (which is fine since there are like very few of them in reality).

Yep. They're trusting that the larger community of dynamic queue by virtue of existing earlier plus probably convincing some pro players to play dynamic exclusively will organically cause the solo queue to be dead on arrival. It's a way of saying "we accommodated you but the community has chosen" to placate people. I think it's too wishy washy and a mistake. They should just stick their guns or adjust the dynamic queue to have a hard limit of 2 or 3. Playing both sides isn't healthy.

Reddit tends to overstate their voice. I keep seeing people say it's the biggest community, 750k subs, etc. However there's only a few thousand upvotes on these complaints. That's not even a drop in the bucket of those 750k subs. I personally don't even vote for stuff on Reddit, let alone post, and I'm subscribed.

Imo riot should just stick to their guns but be as transparent about the evolution of the dynamic queue as possible. I like hearing things like 4 man premades are matched against other 4 man premades 98% of the time. Though I'd also like to hear some stats about that 2%. Is it just high elo? Low elo? What's the mmr like of these matchups? How are lp gains and losses adjusted? Etc.

Leezard

Yep. They're trusting that the larger community of dynamic queue by virtue of existing earlier plus probably convincing some pro players to play dynamic exclusively will organically cause the solo queue to be dead on arrival. It's a way of saying "we accommodated you but the community has chosen" to placate people. I think it's too wishy washy and a mistake. They should just stick their guns or adjust the dynamic queue to have a hard limit of 2 or 3. Playing both sides isn't healthy.

Reddit tends to overstate their voice. I keep seeing people say it's the biggest community, 750k subs, etc. However there's only a few thousand upvotes on these complaints. That's not even a drop in the bucket of those 750k subs. I personally don't even vote for stuff on Reddit, let alone post, and I'm subscribed.

Imo riot should just stick to their guns but be as transparent about the evolution of the dynamic queue as possible. I like hearing things like 4 man premades are matched against other 4 man premades 98% of the time. Though I'd also like to hear some stats about that 2%. Is it just high elo? Low elo? What's the mmr like of these matchups? How are lp gains and losses adjusted? Etc.

If someone really wants to play solo queue then they'll play it even if it releases a couple of weeks later. I don't doubt that solo queue will kinda die, but that's more on the majority of players to decide.

Don't put too much stock into the reddit voting system though, it's not exactly linear from what I understand. Still, of course it's not anywhere near 750k votes.

zkylon

zkylewd
cool, tho idk about removing ranked teams, that sounds kind of lame

understandable, but kind of lame

they'll probably readd them later on with a lot more features

I have a strong feeling Solo Ranked is going to die out pretty quickly once the pros choose dynamic over it. Even as a primarily solo player, unless solo picks up steam, I'm likely gravitating towards dynamic as that's where the rewards are at.

What I don't understand is why copying good ideas from other MOBAs is so taboo. DOTA does it great, with solo players queuing up against 3 man premades max, 2 against 4, and 5s against other 5s. 4s shouldn't queue up at all, it's not hard to find a 5th. Having separate queues is going to result in one of them dying. I feel this more of a power play from Lyte and co. to urge players towards accepting dynamic queue than actually giving the base what they want. I wouldn't be surprised to see Riot merge the two once people complain about Solo Q being dead and guffaw about being right over Reddit, even though they wrote the correct answer themselves.
i guess solo will have the same rewards?

it'd be strange if it didn't imo

pigeon

Banned

Lyte said most of the rewards will probably be on the Dynamic Queue (because that's the one they're actually supporting, the solo one is for people who want to "prove their solo skill"). I suspect they'll do, like, a skin for solo q and that'll be it.

Hard

Banned
cool, tho idk about removing ranked teams, that sounds kind of lame

understandable, but kind of lame

they'll probably readd them later on with a lot more features

From the updoot:
Because Dynamic Ranked is an indisputably better experience for playing with friends, the Ranked Teams queue skips the 2016 season while we begin work to integrate the full team experience into Dynamic Ranked. Expect more details about improved organized play later in the year.

From updoot:

Some of you are probably wondering about Ranked Rewards, and because we’ve pivoted to supporting Dynamic and Solo Ranked, we’re still figuring them out ourselves. Expect most of the Ranked Rewards to shift to Dynamic Ranked and some concrete news in the first few months of the season.

zkylon

zkylewd
lol i read all of it, but there's some details still in the air and i'd be a bit surprised if they don't give u the same reward for solo q as for dynamic q unless they're hungry for some more backlash

i thought they wouldn't have gone forward with adding a solo q mode since it'd be kind of a lot of work for something that's already decided but i guess the pushback was pretty big

this is all pretty weird

edit: this whole ranked craze feels like bad timing on rito's part. why not do these tests and discuss the changes with the community a month before ranked season starts instead of like 3 days?

specially if u were as open to feedback as to create a new queue from backlash received in like 2 days of testing?

garath

I don't even care about rewards. I just want a good competitive queue that doesn't suck and has a large community. I don't like the idea of splitting. Even at my median gold level in the NA region, teambuilder was often a wasteland and horribly unbalanced. That's what a split queue gets you.

Hard

Banned
I don't even care about rewards. I just want a good competitive queue that doesn't suck and has a large community. I don't like the idea of splitting. Even at my median gold level in the NA region, teambuilder was often a wasteland and horribly unbalanced. That's what a split queue gets you.

Agreed, they should just have one queue for Normals and one for Ranked.

Personally:

Normals - Team Builder

Ranked - Dynamic Queue

Normals should be about practicing champs and trying new things you wouldn't take into ranked. Focusing everyone into one queue each would go a long way into balancing matchmaking.

pigeon

Banned
lol i read all of it, but there's some details still in the air and i'd be a bit surprised if they don't give u the same reward for solo q as for dynamic q unless they're hungry for some more backlash

i thought they wouldn't have gone forward with adding a solo q mode since it'd be kind of a lot of work for something that's already decided but i guess the pushback was pretty big

this is all pretty weird

edit: this whole ranked craze feels like bad timing on rito's part. why not do these tests and discuss the changes with the community a month before ranked season starts instead of like 3 days?

specially if u were as open to feedback as to create a new queue from backlash received in like 2 days of testing?

My dev sense says that they got fucked on this one. They originally rolled the new champ select out to PBE in early December, but it was too buggy to launch.

If it had survived on PBE and didn't have so many issues, then the timeline looks totally different. Dynamic queue goes live before the Christmas break, Reddit has two weeks or more to dig into it, Riot can tweak matchmaking levers while everybody's out of the office, and then by January things have calmed down and people have accepted the new status quo.

But because it had to go back for bugfixes, it misses the entirety of December because everybody gets two weeks off, and then it's way too close to the launch date and we end up in a situation like this.

Agreed, they should just have one queue for Normals and one for Ranked.

Personally:

Normals - Team Builder

Ranked - Dynamic Queue

Normals should be about practicing champs and trying new things you wouldn't take into ranked. Focusing everyone into one queue each would go a long way into balancing matchmaking.

They really have to have at least one normal queue that duplicates the ranked queue, though, because people need to practice the same experience as ranked before going into it. If you'd never drafted before and had to drop into ranked it's going to be a painful experience. (That said, I guess OCE has been dealing this that all along.)

garath

They really have to have at least one normal queue that duplicates the ranked queue, though, because people need to practice the same experience as ranked before going into it. If you'd never drafted before and had to drop into ranked it's going to be a painful experience. (That said, I guess OCE has been dealing this that all along.)

100% yes. Normal draft is vital. For those that don't want to make the competitive commitment or learn a new role in a draft environment, it's imperative. It's where I feel cs:go really missed the mark too. They don't have the 5v5 non-competitive servers anymore. Big miss.

zkylon

zkylewd
My dev sense says that they got fucked on this one. They originally rolled the new champ select out to PBE in early December, but it was too buggy to launch.

If it had survived on PBE and didn't have so many issues, then the timeline looks totally different. Dynamic queue goes live before the Christmas break, Reddit has two weeks or more to dig into it, Riot can tweak matchmaking levers while everybody's out of the office, and then by January things have calmed down and people have accepted the new status quo.

But because it had to go back for bugfixes, it misses the entirety of December because everybody gets two weeks off, and then it's way too close to the launch date and we end up in a situation like this.
yea that might be it, but they should've probably pushed back the season

like, a day before the new season they announce they're outright removing ranked 5s?

like wtf, i know i can play something similar in dynamic queue but it's not the same as we don't get titles and stats and like i can't play with my brother now cos he's silver

really lame

my server's been the same like forever

no normals draft but we still have ghost town team builder

Edwardo

my server's been the same like forever

no normals draft but we still have ghost town team builder

Maybe when you get the Dynamic Queue for ranked you'll get it for normals too. And now you'll have normal draft and can play with lil Zky.

Nekofrog

Banned
i dont know how rex gets mid twice in a row after we duo q late at night when he was jungle as primary, mid secondary

there are supposed to be more midlaners in the world than the population of some small countries.

Edwardo

i dont know how rex gets mid twice in a row after we duo q late at night when he was jungle as primary, mid secondary

there are supposed to be more midlaners in the world than the population of some small countries.

Lmao.

I put fill pretty much every game and I think mid is the only one I haven't got yet.

garath

If I didn't know better I'd say primary and secondary roles are weighted evenly when queueing. Or if anything, secondary is accidentally weighted higher. Two nights in a row through ~15 dodges I only got my primary role 5 or so times. A handful of those I was doing a jungle/mid selection as well. How you get mid over jungle reliably as a second role makes no sense to me.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think ppl overstate the popularity of mid

it's no s2 anymore

Maybe when you get the Dynamic Queue for ranked you'll get it for normals too. And now you'll have normal draft and can play with lil Zky.
lil zky turns two years old next month (he just learned to count to 12!) so probably not :p

zky jr tho, i'm guessing rito at one point will add ranked 5s back and i'll be able to play with him

for better or worse lol

Top Bottom