• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

zkylon

zkylewd
Huh, Maybe I dont play Mid so much, I rarely build that item
yea it's definitely that, morellos is a long time core mid item

now 400g difference with athenes sounds steep

maybe slash the price off that too

SLASH THE PRICE OFF EVERYTHING

AHHAHAHAHHHAH

zkylon

zkylewd
how about some sick shen splasharts doe

Shen_Splash_1.jpg
Shen_Splash_2.jpg
Shen_Splash_3.jpg

Shen_Splash_4.jpg
Shen_Splash_5.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
nvm they actually reduced the price on athenes

Athene's Unholy Grail
Total cost reduced to 2700g from 2800g
Combine cost reduced to 465g from 565

triple post but idc cos mid buffs baby

Nekofrog

Banned
rip worst splashart in the game (blood moon shen) 2011-2016

whats the new worst splash art? i'm assuming a nidalee skin

zkylon

zkylewd
i hope there's a viktor skin in the next pbe cycle

there's gotta be

how difficult can it be to make a cool skin for viktor damn it

like anything

rip worst splashart in the game (blood moon shen) 2011-2016
i actually got that skin for a friend of mine's birthday cos he genuinely loved that splash

i hope he likes the new one lol

whats the new worst splash art? i'm assuming a nidalee skin
bandit sivir

specially when chinese bandit sivir is such anime goodness

800px-Sivir_BanditSkin_Ch.jpg

tho artic miniskirt is dumb beyond belief lol

woah those shen skins tho.
Who's hyped for tmr thoooo? This season's the season I make it to gooold. I believe I can anyway lol, went up two places in silver in a week cause I actually tried sigh.

zkylon

zkylewd
i really like the dr shen skin cos there's akali in it

now that's how u do a shared splash art, you don't actually share it and make the other champions part of background

akali's on the samurai too (but no nurse so yuck) and zilean's on blood moon and zed's on frozen

that's all really cool

woah those shen skins tho.
Who's hyped for tmr thoooo? This season's the season I make it to gooold. I believe I can anyway lol, went up two places in silver in a week cause I actually tried sigh.
just play easy champions and ezpz

garath

My hour of gaming time. On dodge number 2 so far. Wasted 10 min.

There should be a sound and window focus indicator when it's time to ban. That's part of the problem.

I can't really comment in detail because I can't watch your replays easily (thanks, Riot), but a couple of thoughts anyway:

1.) If you don't feel like you can trade or win trades against a lane opponent, stop trying to press the issue. If Master Yi and Diana keep Q'ing the waves to death that's one thing...but there's no reason for them to Q you to death too. Part of that comes with experience. It's okay to simply let the enemy push your tower and farm under it. Of course that means you'll need to learn how to last-hit under towers so that you get most of them, but some laning phases you simply have to *survive* rather than win outright.

2.) Speaking of experience: Knowing how those champs and their skillshots and abilities work is about 75% of how you can avoid feeding a lane. There's nothing in the kits of Yi or Diana that should allow them to bully you at pre 6 as a Cait + Raka.

3.) Junglers are dynamic in their duties and their ability to save a lane is often times a function of the matchup itself, their champ's skillset and their own confidence in their ability to turn it in your favor. Some junglers really, REALLY need to hit 6 before their ganks can become relevant. Others are really reliant on their teammates dealing the damage if they do engage pre-6 and won't come if his team's ADC is at 50% hp and 20% mana, you know? But yes, if an enemy lane with no escapes is constantly keeping the lane pushed, you would ideally want the jungler to gank for free money. But not everyone is always alert and Junglers also have to deal with getting their own items online while fielding cries from every lane saying the same thing: "where's mah gank?!"

4.) Junglers try their best but ultimately you as a laner need to be reliant on yourself to stay alive; not on a jungler to save you from your fuckups. That means keeping wards up if you're a laner with no escape (or keeping them up even if you have a good escape so that you can quickly call out rotations from your enemy counterpart). It means maintaining creep equilibrium so that you're not silently asking for the enemy jungler to gank you (keeping the enemy pushed under tower for multiple waves are like shining the Bat signal in the sky) or even intentionally letting the lane push closer to your tower to make the enemy a more inviting target for your own jungler. And again, sometimes it means simply being okay with a lane being a "farm lane" (that is a lane where neither party is likely to kill or even harass each other meaningfully). It means understanding the skills of your enemy so that you can anticipate their actions and know what trades you can and can't win so that you can avoid feeding and punish when appropriate.

1- Oh, I try to be as passive as I can in most cases cause I'm all about my items on Trist and I can't get that gold without the CS. Only try to trade when I feel them pressuring or getting too close or if I have an awesome tank Support who puts in work. When I'm support it's completely different. I poke from afar, try to soften up the wave and if I'm Poppy I wait until level 2 to slam em and get first blood (which then turns the lane into a 2v3 for the rest of the game as their JG decides that's no good and pays full attention to them. Either that or I completely miss it, give them first blood and allow them to snowball as I'm still new to Poppy and the E is awkward to land)

2- I'm not sure I agree with you seeing as they bullied us without much trouble. Of course we didn't try to trade with them in the open and dodged the skill shots, it became clear that we would have to hug the tower ... and that's what we did seeing as I only have 1 skill shot that could help with wave clear and Raka wasn't don't much dmg with her Q. But under tower they rushed us down in a suicide tower dive (they only lost Diana). Upon returning their JG Elise joined in. They kept this up until they could dive and get out before the tower could kill one of them after some levels up. But of course that was my first time playing that champ ... but even with Trist I wouldn't want that match up with Soraka as my only back up.

3-Yeah, I know that JG requires a different thought process and some really need the level 6 power spike. But I don't think that that's why things happened the way they did. I don't think I had good JGs that just made tuff calls, I think that many early 20 leveled people are still struggling with the JG role as this strange system requires you to wait until level 10 to even try it out. Had an ... a Mummy JG who was level 4 when we were all level 8-9 even though we leashed him. He was new to the character and couldn't kill the JG monsters. Same with a Gangplank in a different game. Someone in a different game blamed his champ for being "too fucking slow" to get to us and counter gank when he was already very close to the lane to begin with (so he shows up to a 1v3 fight cause we were dead by then).
I've had JGs who just waddle into lane awkwardly from the direction of our base .. take some cs and waddle away. I've had some that I didn't see for the whole game as they stayed Top and mid as the enemy mid and their JG take turns driving us under tower.
Earlier today I had a dragon lady who counter janked for us at level 5. My Nami got first blood for it because ... I had to either attack or let her die, they were too even in heath bars and my skills were down. She backed to base and dropped out of the game even though we had a great start so that ended poorly.

This latest JG though? That Poppy was great! All over the map, kept the Jax in check, was all about the team work, pings and making calls. We made some great plays together. Hit that friend button super fast after that!

4-Oh, you best believe I keeps my lane warded.

It's either that or Lotion lol

garath

4 dodges now. I've gotten first choice mid 4 times and second choice jungle once.

I'm 20 minutes into this.

edit: we've done it. We're loading. Took 23 minutes to get to this point. This is pretty ridiculous.

kenbo

Maybe people should stop AFKING IN CHAMP SELECT THEN?

Also did not expect to see Shen splash updates. Riot mustve hired a new splash artist

just play easy champions and ezpz

When I play I feel like I gotta earn it with champions I prefer to play
One thing I love to do is play Nasus regardless of pick order or whomever the enemy picked and work with that and always come out on top. I rarely play Talon in ranked, dunno why lol.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I thought we were going to tone down the needlessly abrasive and gross talk.

I think patchday had the right idea with wanting to break way from the community with how you've all been acting today.

Nekofrog

Banned
i thought it was kappa enough with "knuckle cancer" and "going"

next time i'll make a fluff post about deadnames instead

kenbo

qLvsf05.png

wth is wrong with some gaffers. legit 4v5 since minute 0, purposeful afk. this is why lolgaf is toxic.

How did you know it was purposeful AFK?

He literally did nothing that game so perhaps he disconnected at the start or was some troll joining to ruin Gaf games

dimb

You can post something excessively hateful as a meme, but saying "haha, I was just joking" doesn't really alter the tone or make the content any less gross. I also would rather just forget about people that were excised from the community and don't really feel they need to be brought up again in a mocking way that kind of just drags out.

If we want to talk about actual League stuff...I'm considering repeatedly queuing up and missing the champ select by failing to lock in as a method to skew the numbers in a way that negatively reflects on the current system. It seems like the only metric being used to gauge what players want...

Nekofrog

Banned
did anyone serious think my post was "excessively hateful"? anybody?

or is dimb just gonna dimb and play tone police?

btw, the deadnames was a knock at your post referencing him. notice how when he's come up in this thread repeatedly, i tend to not even engage it anymore because it's over and done with

If we want to talk about actual League stuff...I'm considering repeatedly queuing up and missing the champ select by failing to lock in as a method to skew the numbers in a way that negatively reflects on the current system. It seems like the only metric being used to gauge what players want...
I dunno, is the lock in thing that bad? Makes it go faster since you pick one person at a time now

kenbo

Perhaps we should discuss something to be productive

like - how can we improve upon the new champion select experience

The main pain point right now is that I'm seeing an excessive amount of queue dodges due to AFK actions - failure to ban, failure to lock in

Is this a lack of education? will this go away if people inevitably become accustomed to this draft? I understand that most league players liked to wait for the whole 30s to pick their champion (myself included). If thats the case, Riot doesn't really *have* to do anything. Of course, if they wanted to - they should have an instructional popup in the ranked draft like they used to (and I dont know why they dont)

Or is it because the system is obtuse? I haven't used the system so it seems straightforward enough to me. Perhaps theres not enough feedback for players. Does the client pop to the front when you are required to take an action? Does it play a noise?

Nekofrog

Banned
i swear, newt/ghost/rex, i locked in in champion select last night. i clicked the button to lock in and it still dodged me. :(

dimb

btw, the deadnames was a knock at your post referencing him. notice how when he's come up in this thread repeatedly, i tend to not even engage it anymore because it's over and done with
I only tried to make a simple comment to make sure his legacy was not remembered as something remotely pleasant. Had I known the conversation would stretch for so long I might have avoided the topic entirely. If you feel like you need to make a "knock" against a straightforward post like that it might be an opportunity to reassess whether your posts can be needlessly abrasive.
I dunno, is the lock in thing that bad? Makes it go faster since you pick one person at a time now
There are basically years of training that just holding something selected will lock in once the timer expires. Now people are suddenly being punished for it, and it's not just that the punishment of a dodge impacts a single person, but its disruptive to the experience of all players in the game. If this is in some misguided effort to "make things go faster", having more dodge penalties in place works against that goal. There is nothing to train player behavior here other than a punishment that wastes everyone's time.

kenbo

So we need a big pop up that says

"LOCK IN!
Your champion will not be selected if you do not press the lock in button and will count as a dodge"

Talents

Banned
Oh boy, the new ranked season is up on EUW. They also removed the old teambuilder while I was searching for a match using it. Fak u Rito.

pigeon

Banned
So we need a big pop up that says

"LOCK IN!
Your champion will not be selected if you do not press the lock in button and will count as a dodge"

That pop up exists. You can click a check box to hide it forever, so that's probably why you don't remember it existing, but it's totally there.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think it's kinda dumb that u have to manually lock in your pick

what do players gain with that outside of being able to dodge more easily if they need to? just add a dodge button. you can even add a prompt after dodging that asks you why and you can say "x player was trolling". that way you also empower ppl that are being bullied in champ select

qLvsf05.png

wth is wrong with some gaffers. legit 4v5 since minute 0, purposeful afk. this is why lolgaf is toxic.
lol knowing this community not sure if serious...

Hey I had an honor ribbon at one point don't lump me in with those guys
i think we all had honorable opponent for like 1 week

that magical week when everyone was nice cos they thought ribbons would've meant free skins

then rito forgot about them and now they're kind of a joke even tho they could've easily fixed them by making just one number and then giving free chests at random times to unbanned ppl above hidden numbers or some silly thing like that

You can post something excessively hateful as a meme, but saying "haha, I was just joking" doesn't really alter the tone or make the content any less gross. I also would rather just forget about people that were excised from the community and don't really feel they need to be brought up again in a mocking way that kind of just drags out.

wait, to what end?

do u want a "hey you dumbo, lock-in ur pick" prompt" or don't you like champ select in general or do you not like new ranked or what?

did anyone serious think my post was "excessively hateful"? anybody?

or is dimb just gonna dimb and play tone police?

i mean, it sure as hell wasn't funny either

Perhaps we should discuss something to be productive

like - how can we improve upon the new champion select experience

The main pain point right now is that I'm seeing an excessive amount of queue dodges due to AFK actions - failure to ban, failure to lock in

Is this a lack of education? will this go away if people inevitably become accustomed to this draft? I understand that most league players liked to wait for the whole 30s to pick their champion (myself included). If thats the case, Riot doesn't really *have* to do anything. Of course, if they wanted to - they should have an instructional popup in the ranked draft like they used to (and I dont know why they dont)

Or is it because the system is obtuse? I haven't used the system so it seems straightforward enough to me. Perhaps theres not enough feedback for players. Does the client pop to the front when you are required to take an action? Does it play a noise?
i dunno, from what i gather it's kinda broken too

at least so it seemed on that pobelter video

also for every dodge there's 9 other ppl affected so i guess it's an easy mistake that has pretty big consequences, specially when queues are taking longer?

kenbo

That pop up exists. You can click a check box to hide it forever, so that's probably why you don't remember it existing, but it's totally there.

No I'm a pleb who hasn't even used it

The lock in button needs to glow and flash more urgently as time nears 0 too

I think that'd remind people better

dimb

I really don't feel that the old method was broken, and that players shouldn't be punished for taking their time in champion select. There is a lot to process within that window if you're sizing up the enemy and ally team, and rushing players through it to save time can potentially come at the cost of impacting the quality of the game. I want people to think strategically in champ select.

kenbo

I think having champions visible all the time will really help alleviate pressure on players during their pick

pigeon

Banned
I also would rather just forget about people that were excised from the community and don't really feel they need to be brought up again in a mocking way that kind of just drags out.

Eh. I feel like if you're toxic and eventually get permed you have to expect that people will talk about you after you're gone, the same way that at my wife's work they still talk about Nate the web designer who one day refused to come into the office, do any web design, or talk to anybody at work until the CEO called him on the phone.

It's how we remember the dead! By gossiping about how crazy they were when they were alive.

In terms of locking in, like, from a UI perspective Riot did in fact make the change guaranteed to produce the most possible dodged games, and that's like a weird choice, but I assume they focus grouped it and mathed it and decided that this is what needed to be done to speed up champ select. And really there was never any good reason to sit there waiting for the timer to tick down, it just created a bizarre unpleasant behavior that a bunch of League players engaged in for no reason and wasted everybody's time, so I'm kind of glad it's gone. It is basically going to suck really bad for a month probably, and then get better. Like, the penalty for dodging is literally that you don't get to play, so if you actually want to play League, you will eventually figure out how not to do that.

The one thing I was really surprised to not see is, if the champion you had "hovered" gets banned or picked, you should really get an immediate opportunity to hover another champ. This is so obvious I'm wondering whether it's like a bug that it's not there. So hopefully they'll add that in.

Top Bottom