• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Tizoc

Prefect Garen game topped off with a Hetech Chest.
Too bad there was nothing of worth in it, just Head hunter Nid :/

Never realized how hard Garen counters Riven. I stumped her outta lane in no time.
Consider getting warmog instead of spirit massage next time
Even tho magic resist is preferable+cooldown, garen reocvers so much in 5 seconds' time that u wonder if u ever damaged him at all

bakeray

for me the big one is replays, riot has always promised things like that, then took them away with a casual justification and moved on. replays, a basic thing that's core to your competitive esport game that every other single game has

like devil daggers has replays ffs and it's made by like 3 finnish dudes off a game jam or whatever

and league is way more complex but doto has it, starcraft has it, fighting games and sports games have replays, i'm pretty sure those games are as complicated as league

they said they were gonna redo the nidalee splashes like 3 years ago. they said europe is better for bo2s because europeans love ties.

doing things like that are what make people not trust you so much. it's not respectful for your players to think they just "believe you're an evil corporation" or whatever. you've let your players down, that's why they don't trust you.

mind you i'm not saying riot is all about greed and money or whatever. i totally believe that even when they fuck up they have good intentions. riot isn't evil, they're just a company like any other. no fairy tales and mustache twirling, just a regular company that communicates more often normal (and imo sometimes more often than they should, as it happened with ao shin) and gets burned for it

chromas are bullshit cos you're offered a 3x1 when no one asked for that. and the reason it works like that it's cos for riot it's probably almost the same work to make one of those skins than three, so financially it only makes sense to offer chromas that way

other games just give chromas away for free or sell them for in-game currency. other games have all champions for free. league asks you to pay for avatars

i have to grind a whole new account if i want to play with my na friends, and then i have to spend money to buy champions cos fuck if i'm gonna grind the ip all over again

i've been waiting for fucking ever for riot to make that ahri nendo available and instead of that they shut down the latin american merch store lol

then there's this chest gambling crap that i don't even wanna get too much into. i'll just say i appreciate they seem to have put some restrictions on it to prevent people from hurting themselves gambling. that's the kind of thing i expect from riot, despite all the above

and it's ok to monetize, i'm just saying it's not true that everything is for the players and in the players best interests. there's a reason why chromas are not made anymore, people complained about that model on release and riot insisted that it was what players wanted. clearly they weren't a successful thing which is why chromas are no longer being made (and rioters have mentioned this before). i'm not calling it a cash grab, but i'm saying it's not in my best interest to be sold chromas like that. that's just what riot wanted, and it's fair for them to do things the way they want, it's their game and all, but you can't really pretend you were looking out for me when you sold me a 3x1 when i didn't ask for it
all this + the way they communicate some of the info. Riot Lyte gets so much shit because of the way he initially came across when all of the initial toxic bans came out.

there's also been a lot of cases where things/scandals tried to be brushed under the rug when riot fucked up or they got caught being disingenuous and didn't admit fault until the very last minute/someone exposed them.

and lastly there's the way they manipulate the LoL subreddit.

Like most people here have said, I love the game and appreciate the hard work a lot of the people do, but to say they don't deserve the amount of mistrust they get is being naive. They have got caught with their hand inside the cookie jar repeatedly and people aren't just going to blindly believe what they say anymore.

zkylon

zkylewd
ehh i don't know about that, i'm just trying to find a middle ground between riot being a pretty friendly company but still a company in the end

dunno about all this "manipulating subreddits" stuff, i don't personally abscribe to that

bakeray

there's proof of them getting threads deleted and attempting to give gifts to moderators (don't know if they ever actually proved they did), which is expressly forbidden for mods of subreddits. the bs cherrypicking of the 'brigading' rule and that whole moderator skype group with a direct line to riot is incredibly suspect.

all the crap with shady investors, kids repeatedly not getting paid, and just generally being taken advantage of in the e-sports scene is the worst though, especially in EU. that's much worse than most of the minuscule crap we're complaining about.

I just played thee most crazy and fun game of my entire League career. And now I doubly wish there were replays. I would re-watch that shit with popcorn. Again. And Again. And Again.

Hard

Banned
Riot is a friendly company that tries to please us, but everything they do seems to have an ulterior motive. We sort of have to accept anything they give us with that in mind.

zkylon

zkylewd
there's proof of them getting threads deleted and attempting to give gifts to moderators (don't know if they ever actually proved they did), which is expressly forbidden for mods of subreddits. the bs cherrypicking of the 'brigading' rule and that whole moderator skype group with a direct line to riot is incredibly suspect.
this is super old news and even back then it was clearly bullshit

lots of companies have a direct line with their community and both riot and reddit mods have said that the deleted threads were usually shaming threads or hacks or bots links or whatever

all this drama happened a million times ago and it was nothing at the time and it's still nothing

all the crap with shady investors, kids repeatedly not getting paid, and just generally being taken advantage of in the e-sports scene is the worst though, especially in EU. that's much worse than most of the minuscule crap we're complaining about.
shady investors?

kids not getting paid by teams, not by riot, which is still in part riot's fault for not doing enough policing but definitely not the way you're trying to paint them

99LP is such a bad look.

I don't get why the system doesn't just round it out to 100 and put you in a series instead of making you play another game for a whopping 1LP.
cos then it's basically you gotta make it 99 lp instead of 100. and then it's like i had 98, just 1 lp short of the 99! why not make it 98? etc. etc.

it would be nice if either some lp carried over, idk

They were ahead 15.8K at their highest lead point. I gotta tell you...it feels good when you rally your team, start giving direction, and they actually listen. We were 3 inhibs down, getting pushed on all sides. What a crazy game. Also, I'm loving Vi.

Vi_zpsmsrx1q5b.png

kenbo

Holy crap I gotta see the receipts
this is super old news and even back then it was clearly bullshit

lots of companies have a direct line with their community and both riot and reddit mods have said that the deleted threads were usually shaming threads or hacks or bots links or whatever

all this drama happened a million times ago and it was nothing at the time and it's still nothing

shady investors?

kids not getting paid by teams, not by riot, which is still in part riot's fault for not doing enough policing but definitely not the way you're trying to paint them

cos then it's basically you gotta make it 99 lp instead of 100. and then it's like i had 98, just 1 lp short of the 99! why not make it 98? etc. etc.

I think he means shady team investors, kids not getting paid by teams etc

At least I hope so I have know idea who this jabber is

zkylon

zkylewd
I think he means shady team investors, kids not getting paid by teams etc

At least I hope so I have know idea who this jabber is

i think it's fair to ask of riot to be more vigilant of its athletes' rights and i'm sure they're working on it

but yeah if a team owner doesn't pay their players then i'm guessing the one that looks really bad there is the team owner, not riot

bakeray

the majority of this stuff has all happened within the last year, so I don't know if I'd claim it's all 'super old' news. Content wasn't removed just for what you stated, there was the WTF/voyboy stuff, content critical of riot, then there's the league youtubers vote brigading stuff, how riot produced content/people in their little circle a lot of the times seem to get leniency with the rules, NDAs for mods, etc. Mods stepped down and the rules were completely revamped after a lot of this stuff came out, so I don't know how it could be considered bs and not a big deal. There is literally concrete evidence showing it happened.

I get people not being sympathetic to Richard Lewis for acting like a manchild on twitter, and I don't think him linking single posts of users publicly shaming them is OK, but there is a truth to a lot of the stuff he and Thoorin reported on regarding the team investor and player issues. The thing with people not getting paid has happened multiple times, and the majority of it does fall on the team's owners, but I figured after the Gambit/M5 owner got arrested Riot would be a little bit more involved. To me, fleecing investors and making sure they're taking care of the players should be pretty high up on the totem pole. You have people in some instances literally dropping out of high school to play this game professionally, i feel like you gotta take bigger steps to prevent that kind of stuff from happening. they had a team owner last summer split threatening a kid claiming they were going to take his mom's house, that actually happened.

I guess to you some of this stuff isn't a big deal, but to me some of these issues are far more damning than riot not replacing 3 yr old nidalee splash art.

zkylon

zkylewd
you're clumping a shit ton of stuff together that has nothing to do with riot

why is riot to blame for youtubers vote brigading stuff on reddit lol? or the wtf voyboy stuff? the nda was explained back then and iirc it was optional and only used for mods not to spoil big reveals.

mods fucked up at reddit and took down stuff, then resigned and whole thing got scandalous, how again is that riot's fault?

i'd love to see the evidence of riot deleting content or influencing reddit mods to censor stuff

the first half of your post is ridiculous, and the second part is at least 50% to blame on the actual people doing the threatening and scamming on whatever. there's zero complicity about this on riot's part, they just need to do a better job at policing that shit. but who knew, policing an amateur scene filled of teenagers with low social skills mixed with international investors is probably pretty darn hard. i mean, kespa rules in korea and players in world champion team at samsung were paid shit salaries to the point all 10 players left to china. and this is a big team in a big country monitored by another organization on top of riot and shit still happens. so yeah idk, they should probably be better with the challenger scene stuff, but who's saying they're not trying and who's saying it's easy

i'm not even gonna bother with the crap at the end of your post

Re: replays. Community was very much heard on replays and sandbox, which is all I can say.

Re: Nidalee splashes. We've learned from that and all new reworks will have full splash updates, Shen and Poppy being the first examples, and we're redoing the Nidalee and Trundle splashes. (new Pharoah Nidalee looks awesome)

Re: Chromas. We're going back to the drawing board on them because we realised the way we offered them was not the way players want them. No idea when all this is being changed though.

Re: Bo2 cos Europe likes ties. Dumb joke that we regret, not actual reasoning for Bo2.

Not sure what happened with the LatAm merch store, but I imagine if it was shut down it was for a sound reason. The Ahri Nendo is probably more on GSC than anything but I have no idea, I can try find out for you.

Overall, yeah we fuck up a lot but we are getting better at learning from them. I'm not trying to say we're perfect, but overall we have good intentions when it comes to everything we do. Please continue to hold us accountable when we screw up because the last thing any of us want to do is create a bad player experience.

jerd

Nah we're unmodded over here nowadays. The inmates are running the asylum. Anybody from this thread who's banned was banned elsewhere. Thats why I rarely venture out

faridmon

I don't know why I had to the urge to comment on that stupid thread. I stayed up late just to bloody be involved in something so pity last night. I may have self control issues.

If anyone wants to play today i'm gonna be practicing my tank yasuo

welp

Talents

Banned
The dumb thing is that it's a build that is starting to look legit.

Yeah, I think it's going to become better than regular mid Yas. You just build PD and Trinity and then full tank and you become very tanky while still being able to output a lot of damage since you have the Trinity Proc and 100% crit chance.

garath

Yeah, I think it's going to become better than regular mid Yas. You just build PD and Trinity and then full tank and you become very tanky while still being able to output a lot of damage since you have the Trinity Proc and 100% crit chance.

That was similar to the build when he was first released. With his release numbers I always went statik shiv into IE into tank. You get to all-in and not blow up immediately because he's so squish.

bakeray

You're right zky, I just started rambling about random shit about the subreddit which doesn't directly involve Riot. Although I do think they have an influence on the subreddit and the NDA signing/gift giving crap is suspect, the brigading/wtfast stuff didn't directly involve them. I shouldn't be writing illogical manifestos at 4am, I guess I'm glad I didn't make it 17 pages.

I do think they need to be more careful and involved in who they let buy/manage teams though, there have been a lot of shady things involving teams going on, and I really don't think penalties are high enough for some of the things that have happened. I'll just leave it at that. Sorry for the personal shot, too.

In other news I just had an Ashe adc on my team with 59 cs in 38 minutes. He rushed rapid fire cannon and built GA for his second item.

rito pls.

Luigi87

Pretty much.
LP carrying over would be nice. Like if you succeed the promo you start at +10 LP...

Of course that would give them less insentive to keep the safety net of not immediately de-ranking so that's not ideal either, bluh.

Just bad luck with math I guess, lol

Leezard

Pretty much.
LP carrying over would be nice. Like if you succeed the promo you start at +10 LP...

Of course that would give them less insentive to keep the safety net of not immediately de-ranking so that's not ideal either, bluh.

Just bad luck with math I guess, lol

Just remember that mmr is everything, one extra win before promos mean you will have slightly better mmr after the promos.

Still, 99 LP is fine since you can lose one game and still get promos the game after, given you have somewhat average mmr.

JulianImp

Got Zyra a couple days ago and decided to pick up her ghostly skin since it was on sale, and man it looks way better than her default, IMO.

I'm still only playing against bots because I'm not in the mood for 40-minute matches unless I get to play with at least a couple friends, but I noticed I've gotten better at dropping plants after a couple games where I barely knew what I was doing and kept doing a whole lot of nothing for hte most part.

From what I've noticed, she tends to favor agressively poking with Q and plants, and cutting off escapes with her snare. I don't actually know the best time to deploy her ult though, and I tend to button mash everything I've got in a frenzy when there's probably a favored ability rotation. Would anyone be willing to share a couple tips on playing her, and which items I should be looking to complete depending on the game state? (ie: if we're ahead, behind, against burst/assassins).

Another thing I'll probably have to learn is who to prioritize during teamfights. I know squishies such as adcs, assassions and/or champions with hard CC or mobility abilities on cooldown are priority targets compared to full tanks, and that kiting/heckling enemies whenever possible is better than attempting to all-in and getting deleted, but those parameters are a bit too broad to be useful guidelines in most games. I often tend to look for the guy with the least amount of max HP to attack, but playing solo means I can't time abilities all that well with my teammates, which is a pain.

Top Bottom