• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Bacon

I used to play league on a 50 inch tv on my computer desk and had a small 23 inch monitor as my second monitor. Now I have a 27 inch 144hz monitor and that tv is my secondary monitor. There was definitely a huge adjustment going from being able to click super precisely because everything is way bigger on a 50 inch at 2 feet away to a 27 inch monitor but the refresh rate is too nice to give up. It's not a game altering difference but is enough of a positive change that the tradeoff is worth.

A 50 inch tv from 2 feet away? Holy moly how were you able to focus on the entire screen?

Nekofrog

Banned
A 50 inch tv from 2 feet away? Holy moly how were you able to focus on the entire screen?

who needs a map

actually you get used to it. helps leaning back in your chair. my click accuracy has probably evened out now that ive been on the 27 inch for almost a year, but it definitely takes more focus. autopilot league was easier on the TV.

jerd

I thought my 27 inch was maybe a tad big when I got it i can't imagine trying to play on twice that

Now I want to give it a shot though

Newt

Why am I facing 3 man teams when I'm playing solo q. This shit is so unfair.

At this stage I just win all of my dynamic queue and games and lose all my solo games.

It's so stupid.

Solo players just seem to have a clear disadvantage.

Talents

Banned
Why am I facing 3 man teams when I'm playing solo q. This shit is so unfair.

At this stage I just win all of my dynamic queue and games and lose all my solo games.

It's so stupid.

Solo players just seem to have a clear disadvantage.

Why what are you talking about? Trusty Rito have already said you only go against groups when you are solo 1% of the time. Silly.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Please try to refrain from bringing up Lyte unprompted. Whatever amount of control you think he has over the game, it's not the case. Public voices in companies don't really deserve to be punching bags, and attacking these people creates a needlessly abrasive atmosphere where the developers feel less inclined to communicate with the community. Even within the community itself, it creates this noise that distracts from real feedback or discussion.

Ken

i bought hextech crates and got panda teemo and high noon yasuo, and then i fused them with the freebie crate skin and got balckbelt udyr.

never doing this again

Why are you questioning Dear Leader Lyte? He has a PhD you know.

Just git gud.

FYI Lyte's locked his Twitter down as he's taking extended time with his family and isn't even touching League stuff right now. Solo queue is nothing to do with him.

Unfortunately a price comes with being a very player facing Rioter and he has to take a lot of shit for it, but not everything is on him. But honestly people see the shit he gets for trying to make League a better game with a better community,though he may communicate things... improperly at times, and it makes them scared to interact with the community.

Please call us on our shit when we fuck up, but don't direct everything at one guy who's genuinely trying to make stuff better.

Please try to refrain from bringing up Lyte unprompted. Whatever amount of control you think he has over the game, it's not the case. Public voices in companies don't really deserve to be punching bags, and attacking these people creates a needlessly abrasive atmosphere where the developers feel less inclined to communicate with the community. Even within the community itself, it creates this noise that distracts from real feedback or discussion.

what this man says

They probably should be scared, players are terrible.

not all players are though. The overwhelming majority are great people.

I felt the same way when I first started at Riot and wasn't really planning on posting here. I changed my mind on it because communicating with players is one of the reasons I found the job so attractive and wanted it so much, and it's a very encouraged part of our culture. Other Rioters want to communicate openly and candidly with players too, but especially new Rioters find it pretty difficult because they think if they make one mistake with how they do it they'll get torn to shreds.

You guys can tell me to fuck off if you want but be mindful that Rioters are people, and their hearts are in the right place. If they're not, they don't last long here. Everything I've heard about Jeffrey Lin is that he's a very smart, very nice person and he puts himself out there to an extent that most others wouldn't to communicate with you guys. He's not perfect, but he doesn't deserve to be a punching bag either. But he still takes it all and keeps coming back to talk to players and listen to feedback. I'd love if every Rioter could do that.

Newt

Everything I've heard about Jeffrey Lin is that he's a very smart, very nice person and he puts himself out there to an extent that most others wouldn't to communicate with you guys. He's not perfect, but he doesn't deserve to be a punching bag either. But he still takes it all and keeps coming back to talk to players and listen to feedback. I'd love if every Rioter could do that.
How about we don't go overboard here. You're crossing the line.

A person can be perfectly nice and reasonable, and come off as an asshole. That's basically Lyte.

Lyte is just a PR mouthpiece for Riot, so of course it's not completely his fault.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Rioters need to take more FGC approaches with the community.

A person can be perfectly nice and reasonable, and come off as an asshole. That's basically Lyte.
So is Lyte like Kamiya on twitter?

Lyte is just a PR mouthpiece for Riot, so of course it's not completely his fault.

you and I have different definitions of PR.

I'm as much of a PR mouthpiece as he is, going by that logic.

Newt

Wondering if I can get an invite into the NA GAF club. Going to start playing LoL seriously now :p Username is BeelzebubsUk
It's full.
you and I have different definitions of PR.

I'm as much of a PR mouthpiece as he is, going by that logic.
It's his job dude. He has an agenda to meet whenever he releases his big statements.

You think he didn't know what he was doing when he said "solo q is rolling out a few weeks after the release of dynamic queue". Like I agree that just shitting on Lyte is gonna get nowhere fast, but lets not pretend Lyte is always looking out for player. "Heart in the right place". Phrases like that make me sick.

And the for record, I'm being blunt here because I like this game a lot, and I don't want it to go to the shitter.

It's full.

It's his job dude. He has an agenda to meet whenever he releases his big statements.

You think he didn't know what he was doing when he said "solo q is rolling out a few weeks after the release of dynamic queue". Like I agree that just shitting on Lyte is gonna get nowhere fast, but lets not pretend Lyte is always looking out for player.

I mean I have more visibility on this stuff than you so talking in absolutes like that doesn't make what you say true.

The team working on dynamic queue decided to pivot after launch and announce solo queue, and that was the plan. Over time they grew less confident that it would solve all the issues and not create new issues. It's not off the table, but neither are other options that are being explored.

We fucked up by promising something without doing full investigations into whether it was the best thing to do or not, and over time it became increasingly obvious to the team that just launching pure solo queue again willy nilly was a big mistake.

And if he's not looking out for the player, who is he looking out for? Everyone here wants to do what's best for players. We don't always get it right, and sometimes we think we got it right and end up missing the mark. We'll never be able to convince players that we're all for them, it's a natural human instinct in a capitalist world to distrust companies and the people who work there.

Like, just think about the stuff that he works on. It's all about making League a better place for people to play, free from harassment and negativity. It's his job to make better experiences for players. If you don't want to believe that, totally up to you. Just wanted to give you some perspective and tell you we all do what we do because we're LoL players and want to make the game better for players and make cool stuff that we want to play ourselves, and if your motivation is anything other than delivering stuff to players and making a better experience for players, you're shown the door. If you're not motivated by a need to put the player experience first, we have queue dodge so you can leave with no hard feelings and some salary in your pocket.

Fuck, you're making me sound like a PR mouthpiece now.

TL;DR people will never be convinced that we're trying to do good for players, but try not to be jerks to those who want to communicate with and listen to you.

Ken

Wow. I haven't heard that tag for a while.

D_zpsqc049jwg.png

rip

Ferga

So how do I do damage as tank ekko in a solo lane? I've played it against bots, and I still struggle to actually do respectable levels of tank damage (read, Maokai/Naut). Or is it less about that and more the attraction of the AOE stun + pervasiveness + disruption + levels of sustain for him?

for example, this was last night.

nqZXIBi.png

Don't let the end game score fool you, early/early-mid game the Eve was terrorizing the map. She racked up a kill in every lane (like 4 in mid because our mid Zyra was mid Zyra), she ganked me once (Maokai) in top early on and I still almost 1v2'ed with just a couple dorans rings. I got them low enough for Rex to just walk in and last hit them. Despite this, Eve was still walking over our mid/bot lane like they were nothing. But all it took to turn it around was for me and Rex to group, and we clean aced them despite their lead with me and Rex practically 2v5ing. I don't know if I could have done this on Ekko.

Does tank Ekko top fill the same role as a Maokai, or is he used to fill a different niche?

I can teach you in custom.

Tank Ekko plays like Poppy.

It's also very hard to hit stun in lane so I don't even bother using it to save up on mana. He's also ungankable if he has the stun field up.

Ekko does a lot more damage than Naut.

pigeon

Banned
I mean I have more visibility on this stuff than you so talking in absolutes like that doesn't make what you say true.

The team working on dynamic queue decided to pivot after launch and announce solo queue, and that was the plan. Over time they grew less confident that it would solve all the issues and not create new issues. It's not off the table, but neither are other options that are being explored.

We fucked up by promising something without doing full investigations into whether it was the best thing to do or not, and over time it became increasingly obvious to the team that just launching pure solo queue again willy nilly was a big mistake.

I do actually want to know what issues you guys discovered besides the kind of obvious one that releasing a second ranked queue would divide the population. Or was it just measuring how many people would actually go to solo q?

Nekofrog

Banned
come on, don't rag on hashinshin. his stream is legit the funniest stream there is because here's a challenger level player who clearly has mastered one champion enough to stay challenger simply based off of that, but he has the attitude of a bronze player "my team sucks that's why I lose"

it's a riot (no pun intended)

Ferga

uhhh

remember what happened that one time I played Poppy? -_-

Yeah but you don't need to hit stuns on him. You just need to do the combo to trade.

Q-E-auto- walk away to hit return Q.

Don't play too aggressively in the early levels. Wait until you can get cinder then you can start going crazy.

Don't go for extended trades before 6.

zkylon

zkylewd
I miss the days hashinshin would make threads and Xyph/Morello would enter and show how wrong he was
lol yeah, those were the days

come on, don't rag on hashinshin. his stream is legit the funniest stream there is because here's a challenger level player who clearly has mastered one champion enough to stay challenger simply based off of that, but he has the attitude of a bronze player "my team sucks that's why I lose"

well idk about his stream, i'm not saying kill him or anything

just would feel really nice to see someone like morello just take it out of his chest and tell him to eat shit

i'm sure hashinshin can take it

TL;DR people will never be convinced that we're trying to do good for players, but try not to be jerks to those who want to communicate with and listen to you.
honestly i think this is only half truth

take valve, people (myself included) used to LOVE valve back in 2007~. they were like forward thinking developers that made awesome games and they had a mystique about them but they were also super open about stuff like design that no other developer ever was. and they did like the orange box which was amazing and so freaking cheap for what it was and all that, and they were leading the charge of digital games with steam in a direction that seemed better every week

they still made mistakes but you always felt like valve was made up of cool dudes that just wanted to make cool shit. the orange box was such a good showing of earnest good will and respect for the players and steam was making all kinds of games more accessible than they ever been. people just universally trusted valve

fast forward to today, their record is not as spotless and things are not as they used to. you don't really trust valve today to make right by you

so like, imo, it's possible for players to trust companies, people grow emotional attachments to the people that make the games they love. so if people aren't trusting riot it's not just that people are just not trusting, it's probably that riot hasn't proven to be truly trustworthy

so point is, i like how riot does a lot of things, how communicative and open they are, how they own up to it when they make mistakes and how they actually listen and engage with their community way more than any other company i've ever seen, but i know riot didn't make chromas with my best interests in mind and i think it's kind of condescending to tell me otherwise

(goes without saying that harassing someone cos they made a decision about your videogame that you don't agree with isn't cool)

I never said I didn't enjoy watch him being a fuckwit

I still laugh whenever I think about that article of his talking so much shit about the state of top lane and ragging on how it was all because Nasus was allowed to jungle

pigeon

Banned
lso like, imo, it's possible for players to trust companies, people grow emotional attachments to the people that make the games they love. so if people aren't trusting riot it's not just that people are just not trusting, it's probably that riot hasn't proven to be truly trustworthy

I honestly just don't believe this. F2P comes with a massive trust deficit, and so does any persistent game. I think Riot's done about as well as any company has ever done, but there are always going to be people who are convinced that you're evil for what boil down to weird personal reasons. I would be interested in what specific things you feel were untrustworthy here!

so point is, i like how riot does a lot of things, how communicative and open they are, how they own up to it when they make mistakes and how they actually listen and engage with their community way more than any other company i've ever seen, but i know riot didn't make chromas with my best interests in mind and i think it's kind of condescending to tell me otherwise

I mean, fundamentally chromas are "can we make a customization product at a lower price point for people who don't want to spend as much as a skin costs." I don't really see how that's against player interests.

The other argument is that, like, if players love playing League of Legends then it's in their interests for Riot Games to continue to exist, and ultimately that means monetization. But even then Riot is famously terrible at monetization, which is pretty good evidence to me that they really are driven by player experience and feedback, because players hate monetization. (They're also clearly pretty design driven because designers really hate monetization.)

Fracas

#fuckonami
So I randomly decided to play Tristana (she was my favorite ADC last season but I didn't have as much fun with her after the preseason changes), and I looked on probuilds to see if IE rush was still standard.

I saw Arrow had been building Rageblade first. I tried it and holy shit this is awesome

WE BACK BABY

zkylon

zkylewd
I honestly just don't believe this. F2P comes with a massive trust deficit, and so does any persistent game. I think Riot's done about as well as any company has ever done, but there are always going to be people who are convinced that you're evil for what boil down to weird personal reasons. I would be interested in what specific things you feel were untrustworthy here!
for me the big one is replays, riot has always promised things like that, then took them away with a casual justification and moved on. replays, a basic thing that's core to your competitive esport game that every other single game has

like devil daggers has replays ffs and it's made by like 3 finnish dudes off a game jam or whatever

and league is way more complex but doto has it, starcraft has it, fighting games and sports games have replays, i'm pretty sure those games are as complicated as league

they said they were gonna redo the nidalee splashes like 3 years ago. they said europe is better for bo2s because europeans love ties.

doing things like that are what make people not trust you so much. it's not respectful for your players to think they just "believe you're an evil corporation" or whatever. you've let your players down, that's why they don't trust you.

mind you i'm not saying riot is all about greed and money or whatever. i totally believe that even when they fuck up they have good intentions. riot isn't evil, they're just a company like any other. no fairy tales and mustache twirling, just a regular company that communicates more often normal (and imo sometimes more often than they should, as it happened with ao shin) and gets burned for it

I mean, fundamentally chromas are "can we make a customization product at a lower price point for people who don't want to spend as much as a skin costs." I don't really see how that's against player interests.

The other argument is that, like, if players love playing League of Legends then it's in their interests for Riot Games to continue to exist, and ultimately that means monetization. But even then Riot is famously terrible at monetization, which is pretty good evidence to me that they really are driven by player experience and feedback, because players hate monetization. (They're also clearly pretty design driven because designers really hate monetization.)
chromas are bullshit cos you're offered a 3x1 when no one asked for that. and the reason it works like that it's cos for riot it's probably almost the same work to make one of those skins than three, so financially it only makes sense to offer chromas that way

other games just give chromas away for free or sell them for in-game currency. other games have all champions for free. league asks you to pay for avatars

i have to grind a whole new account if i want to play with my na friends, and then i have to spend money to buy champions cos fuck if i'm gonna grind the ip all over again

i've been waiting for fucking ever for riot to make that ahri nendo available and instead of that they shut down the latin american merch store lol

then there's this chest gambling crap that i don't even wanna get too much into. i'll just say i appreciate they seem to have put some restrictions on it to prevent people from hurting themselves gambling. that's the kind of thing i expect from riot, despite all the above

and it's ok to monetize, i'm just saying it's not true that everything is for the players and in the players best interests. there's a reason why chromas are not made anymore, people complained about that model on release and riot insisted that it was what players wanted. clearly they weren't a successful thing which is why chromas are no longer being made (and rioters have mentioned this before). i'm not calling it a cash grab, but i'm saying it's not in my best interest to be sold chromas like that. that's just what riot wanted, and it's fair for them to do things the way they want, it's their game and all, but you can't really pretend you were looking out for me when you sold me a 3x1 when i didn't ask for it

I love Riot, but I can't disagree with most of what you say.

I've only played League for 2 years now, so I can't speak about how long they've been promising replays, but that is at the top of my list. I've played long enough to hear it brought up at least a few times though. In the end, I don't care how long it takes to get replays up-and-going...as long as Riot keeps us updated. But talking about it once in a blue moon then disappearing again drives me crazy.

If we ever get a replay mode, a third person view camera or free reign camera would be so cool.

Edit: I put spectator mode - ugh I swear I make an error on all of my posts on this site.

killatopak

Gold Member
Prefect Garen game topped off with a Hetech Chest.
Too bad there was nothing of worth in it, just Head hunter Nid :/

Never realized how hard Garen counters Riven. I stumped her outta lane in no time.

It kinda depends though. As Riven, as long as you can get a kill early, it is highly possible to snowball a lane against garen. Garen's spin is pretty weak at level one. What I tend to do is dash when he uses Q and tank the damage and if he spins, I retaliate with my q auto. I do more damage than him and win the trade.

As Garen, unless you see an oppurtunity, just farm. Sooner or later you'll outscale Riven due to your natural tankiness especially if you built tanky on the get go instead of damage items like black cleaver. Although you can go damage items early, it's easier to bully Riven when you have alot of armor items virtually rendering her useless.

At lower elo, there's 90% chance that the riven doesn't know how to deal with a garen so it's easier to stomp lane. The trick to beating each other is to carefully look at the cooldown of each other's skills. They both have no resources so it's very important to look at cooldowns. Riven's skills come up much earlier especially if she has cdr runes and items. Garen on the other hand has his passive to look out for. Learning the cooldowns of each other is the key to whom wins. Not just with garen and riven but also with every other champs. It's just more pronounced on resourceless champs.

drawkcaB

Holy shit! My hard work writing down reports has finally paid off. Got a message that a player on my team (the cuntiest Jarvan I've ever seen) has been punished. Praise be, praise be.

Played an absolutely horrific Xin Zhao game, first in season 5, where I was making ok decisions early on that turned sour and eventually tilted hard. Tried to peel for our carries later on in the game but didn't really work. Teamfights were constantly close but we were on the loosing end time after time. Really annoying match. Also, definitely done with Xin Zhao now. Gonna pour my time in learning Kindred and Poppy jungle more. Bit of support practice then maybe, maybe, finally get around to playing ranked.

Had some good luck with Lulu tonight. Not used her in a while but I'm making use of her extended poke range with E>Q more in lane to be annoying. Earlier I got a revenge kill on a Lucian who was backing near turret and I used his minion against him when he thought he was safe, fuahahaha. Also it's funny when you use E on one of your enemy's teammates. You're like a parasite and if they're smart makes them want to stay away from eachother because they're an extension of you. I love it.

Top Bottom