• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Well if u wanna know the secret kayle build
It invovles a nashor's tooth, guinsoo and cooldown boots
And spamming her e like no tomorrow

thats how i usually play - just smashing through waves with E from a distance

That's a situation that isn't going to happen very often once you reach a certain point so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once you get into ranked people typically won't try to do outlandishly stupid things like duo top. They may troll in other ways but people usually honor the meta.

thats good to hear

i dont think ill play ranked but i cant wait to hit 30

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It would be nice if Spellthief's Edge was good again. The passive on it doesn't really make much sense at all though, because the quest completes by the time you are moving out of lane, where the movespeed might have actually helped to harass a little. Mostly though those champions are just using their range to poke anyways, so the movespeed is pretty irrelevant.

Coin is just so much safer/easier to use. You can easily pick up coins out of the minion stack for 25/40 gold or you can put yourself in danger to harass for 8/15 gold....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................

It would be nice if Spellthief's Edge was good again. The passive on it doesn't really make much sense at all though, because the quest completes by the time you are moving out of lane, where the movespeed might have actually helped to harass a little. Mostly though those champions are just using their range to poke anyways, so the movespeed is pretty irrelevant.

Coin is just so much safer/easier to use. You can easily pick up coins out of the minion stack for 25/40 gold or you can put yourself in danger to harass for 8/15 gold....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................

I saw a Rioter say they're already planning to tune down the mana return from the coin. Maybe they'll tune down the gold as well (or maybe they said that and I forgot).

drawkcaB

First time I used coin, I was really surprised at how lax the pickup range was. I feel like making it so the champion actually has to genuinely touch it might be a nice change to try before raw numbers tuning.

MellowSinfulAmericankestrel-size_restricted.gif

pigeon

Banned
thanks

on to Kayle - having a lot of fun with her, but had a very frustrating Win this morning with my coffee.

i picked top first and locked Kayle in , but then some guy picked Garen

so now we're both in the top lane and its kind of a mess. i sort of changed my playstyle to be more of a support by maxing W and building +shield items and we won but it was still weird

thoughts?

If you take enough of the CS he'll have to play support

This is how bot lane works all the time

I think it's time Riot killed Maokai and left him dead. He's been given enough chances.

Just played two games of Maokai. They should make another champion like him so I can enjoy the fun of playing an unkillable tank with "Glory"ous long range engage who provides enough CC to completely protect his backline from all but the most committed dives when he's banned. Very fun champion.

zkylon

zkylewd
meddler on janna for ppl complaining about her:
Coin's definitely a significant part of Janna's current strength and we'll be hitting that. Possible Janna's also out of line as well, planning to look into her, both from a balance perspective and to determine whether there's some quick work we can do to add some more moments of skill expression to her kit as well.

In terms of 'best support in the game', I think some of that also depends on how you define best support. She's certainly right up there at present, historically she's often sat at a really high win rate, without actually being as strong as that might suggest, because of how forgiving her play can be (e.g. first game Jannas are likely to be much more useful than first game players on most other champs in the support position)."

JulianImp

Tried playing Janna in normals, got paired against an Akali that went 27/0/1, while teammates would insist on walking into the jungle mere seconds after she was reported MIA on a nearby lane. Not even my crazy shields were enough to stop her full-stack mejai burst, and then teammates started to intentionally walk one by one into her in order to kill feed her.

Regardless of how my teammates made the wrong decission of chasing Akali everywhere rather than holding the fort on other lanes since she couldn't be everywhere at once, I kind of hated how little I could do to try and help them. Even my late game shields that were worth 1/3 of their max HP were popped in a skill+auto rotation of hers, W slow was useless against her plethora of dashes, and even if I landed my Qs and ults, I'd at best buy my teammates a couple seconds before she'd be back to jumping all over them again.

Also, laning as her was pretty boring since going for self-cast E trades by myself isn't a good idea, so I was stuck picking up coins and shielding/disengaging whenever they'd try to jump onto us.

Trying to get back to SR ranked. What are good vision numbers to aim for? I had 51/18/3/4 for Vision Score / Placed / Destroyed / Pinks Purchased in a 28 minute match. I feel that my pinks are way too low. I didn't destroy many wards because they had no supp.

Edit: Okay, right after I posted this I got Honor 3. I didn't get any honor in the match, and I was just staring at the stats.

dimb

Everyone gets a small amount of honor as long as nobody chooses not to skip the honor process.

Xater

Is there a good map on common ward placements or something? As I ma starting out I mostly guessing where to put them best.

Is there a good map on common ward placements or something? As I ma starting out I mostly guessing where to put them best.

Placing them in the bushes gives you vision of the bush and some area outside it, so you usually get more vision for your money.

As the game progresses having the paths in/out of your jungle/enemy jungle is good to watch for map rotations and ganks.

Having vision on Herald/Drake/Baron is always important.

During lane phase, as a laner, your main priority is to make sure you don't get ganked, so you want to ward near your lane (bot blue side would ward enemy river bush, or just river if that's too dangerous, red side bot would normally try to ward tribush). As a mid laner you often ward one side and lane towards that side. A really valuable ward, if you can get it, is at enemy raptors, as that's a high traffic area where you can see where the enemy jungler goes after he clears it (same with wolves or enemy jungle generally, but they're harder to place and less high traffic). Generally there are more wards in the bot half of the map than the top since the support, who normally buys Sightstone, lanes there.

Once you get near the end of lane phase, roaming becomes more frequent and dragon sneaks become a real possibility. Therefore seeing as much of river as possible is helpful, especially around the dragon pit. If you've lost a side lane tower keeping a ward at the nearby entrance/exit to your jungle is important as it should help you keep control of your jungle. If you've lost mid lane tower you need to work hard to keep mid shoved out so you can contest the middle of the map (there's so much area the enemy can access that wards only help so much without minion presence).

If you're ahead, you're job becomes clearing vision. Supports and junglers will usually swap their yellow trinket for the red trinket, which at level 9 can be upgraded so that it rolls along with you for a few seconds and can be used to deward a big chunk of the map. The 75g "pink" wards have an unlimited duration and also reveal and disable any wards in their vicinity, so they are very powerful for controlling the map. But don't place them where they can't be defended (they are almost never placed outside bushes unless inside baron or dragon pit), as they are visible and easily removed by enemies.

Once you get beyond 25 minutes or so, lots of towers will be down and the big danger will be baron. You want to make sure there are wards around the baron pit so it can be snuck away by the enemy team. Pink wards in your jungle are valuable to so that traversing between lanes and camps is safe for your carries (e.g. pink the bush by blue buff). If you want to force baron (either you make the enemy team come and you engage on them, or you take it and push) you should always have a pink ward to place inside the pit so that it's very hard for the enemy jungler to steal it, and some wards inside the enemy jungle to see them coming. Ideally you will have swept the river and know they are walking in blind so you can easily turn on to them with a big advantage.

As you play more you start to get used to where and when vision is useful and where it is just a waste of time. If you're playing against assassins you'll want more wards in "niche" spots to prevent them from sneaking into position to pick off your carries. If you're against a relentless splitpusher you'll want more wards in your own jungle so you can see where he goes when he's not in lane and whether you can collapse him (or he can collapse your team). If you're winning hard you want lots of dewarding resources to lock the enemy team out of their jungler and starve them more than you want extra wards since the enemy will be visible most of the time anyway. If you're losing hard you want to ward defensively just to avoid being killed as you farm and can see where enemies are moving so as to play around them.

Vision is also sadly ineffective at low ELO due to low map awareness so you need to ping a lot to get your team to make use of it (i.e. you see the enemy jungle walking into river from his raptors while your mid is pushed out; immediately ping him to back off as he's vulnerable to a gank, he probably wasn't watching the mini-map).

This guide has some good ward spots with explanations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsjPxpdu5eM
So does this guy here (bit more depth, focussed on early game): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbUqScdHbAw

jon bones

This was very helpful. Thank you. I noticed the low map awareness in my last game. Had to mark every out of place enemy for anyone to notice.

That was also my first Cho'Gath game and boy this hero is fun. I did also pretty alright.

are you playing in NA?

im also new and would love to play sometime

dimb

Can Ornn jungle? That's all I want to know.

(I'd like the teaser but that's a pia on mobile)
There are already tons of viable jungle champs. Would rather see something focused on the top lane meta which is a mess atm.

jon bones

wheww just had a knock down drag out match

the nasus v teemo top lane was nuts, nasus is such a pain to kill late game

i was at the bottom as sona w a twitch vs ashe / sona. i feel like people try to dps with her q a lot, but i found maxing W was much more effective. thoughts?

i cant wait to hit 18 and get that bonus shield mastery

Nope, I play EUW.

ah bummer

zkylon

zkylewd
I think he'll probably related to Sej's faction
idk, i see him more in ashe's or independent. he's a blacksmith of some sorts and i don't see someone that makes armor or weapons among sejuani's nomadic tribe's ranks, which are made of ppl like olaf or volibear

tho idk, maybe, ashe is also supposed to be a nomad i think but she and trynda are queen are king so in my head they're a little more settled down i guess

Probably uses a hammer. How many hammer champs do we have now?
not that many tbh, since taric lost his

probably just poppy and jayce?

jon bones

convinced 3 of my friends to try this out with me

who is the easiest free hero for Mid rn?

my one friend has sivir from a bundle, so i'm going to play sup with him in bot as he has played a few games.

nasus on top should be fun for one of my friends. i can explain his Q move.

jg we'll have the rando play, as i don't feel comfortable playing jg on my friends' first game.

dimb

convinced 3 of my friends to try this out with me

who is the easiest free hero for Mid rn?
Sona Mid or something if you are just in a low level game. Could also try Akali if you really want. Not that easy though.

Soulblighterr

Neo Member
You can just send Varus or MF to mid. They can spam spells from a distance. Team composition isn't really important in early levels.

Varus and MF are on free rotation in Garena btw. Don't know about NA. ADCs are generally an okay substitute in mid.

Top Bottom