• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

Leezard

So I started playing League because it's the only MOBA that works well on my laptop. Is there a GAF club or something? I am in EUW.

There is an EUW GAF club but it's not very active. You can join if you want though, it's a nice club tag if nothing else.

Just message me, nick is Euler.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
more questions! do i have this right:

if someone calls adc, they are going to be the attack damage champ, leaving slots open for the following:

ability power
support
jungle

you generally don't need more than one adc, so if someone calls it i gotta stay away from characters like ashe who relies on basic attacks and instead opt for... who exactly?

is there a breakdown of champs and what kind of damage they should be doing?

If someone calls ADC, they mean they want to go bot with a support. Mid, top, jungle and support are still open. Mid is usually mage / assassin, top is usually tanky / bruiser, jungle is tanky / support / occasional carry.

It means Attack Damage Carry, meaning they have high physical DPS through attacks. There have been exemptions to this. Ziggs is a classic mage that went bot at one point. Corki is a classic marksman that dealt mostly magic damage and usually went bot but finds his way in mid.

You just gotta balance the team out, but you aren't really forbidden to pick another marksman in another lane. Corki kid is typically because his basic attacks are mostly converted to magic damage. In the jungle, you can find Graves, Kindred and the rare Twitch.

Xater

more questions! do i have this right:

if someone calls adc, they are going to be the attack damage champ, leaving slots open for the following:

ability power
support
jungle

you generally don't need more than one adc, so if someone calls it i gotta stay away from characters like ashe who relies on basic attacks and instead opt for... who exactly?

is there a breakdown of champs and what kind of damage they should be doing?

It leaves support, mid and top. Mid is most like some ranged caster and top a tanky champ.

There is an EUW GAF club but it's not very active. You can join if you want though, it's a nice club tag if nothing else.

Just message me, nick is Euler.

Message you in game? I added myself to the list in the OP.

Last 20 ranked played. 15 defeats - 5 victories. Can't it balance out so you have more chance of winning the more you lose instead of the more you lose.. you lose more? :/

Ok. Worst grade ive gotten in all those defeats is C+ so i'm not the one losing my lane and feed the other team.

I managed to climb out of Bronze II and had a couple of good games, got to promo again. Lost all 3 in a row, 2 thanks to fucking griefers, they can go hang themselves.. sorry not sorry. After that i had back and forth of wins and defeats until i got demoted back to Bronze II where i've had 1 victory and just a string of defeats until another demotion to Bronze III.

ELO hell it is real i guess?

jon bones

If someone calls ADC, they mean they want to go bot with a support. Mid, top, jungle and support are still open. Mid is usually mage / assassin, top is usually tanky / bruiser, jungle is tanky / support / occasional carry.

It means Attack Damage Carry, meaning they have high physical DPS through attacks. There have been exemptions to this. Ziggs is a classic mage that went bot at one point. Corki is a classic marksman that dealt mostly magic damage and usually went bot but finds his way in mid.

You just gotta balance the team out, but you aren't really forbidden to pick another marksman in another lane. Corki kid is typically because his basic attacks are mostly converted to magic damage. In the jungle, you can find Graves, Kindred and the rare Twitch.

It leaves support, mid and top. Mid is most like some ranged caster and top a tanky champ.

Message you in game? I added myself to the list in the OP.

ok thank you guys, i thought mid went adc

very helpful 👍🏾

ok thank you guys, i thought mid went adc

very helpful 👍🏾

ADC is a "legacy" term I guess but still very commonly used. Bottom is the role's name in the current client. Traditionally it's because a ranged AD (Attack Damage, Physical Damage, non-spell) champion would always go in that slot but it's not always the case, just the most common one for a long time. Traditionally middle is an AP (Ability power, non-physical, spell damage) Carry. Often a mage (Viktor, Cassopeia, Veigar, Vel'koz, and so on) or an assassin (LeBlanc, Zed, Talon, etc.). It's meta dependent and it was even more meta dependent in the past but I think they've pretty much settled on and design around the Top, Mid, Jungle, Bot, Support meta for several years now.

The reason an AD goes bot is because they need protection as they are item dependent and come online later than other champions. Like an AD champ going mid might struggle without help if they are facing an assassin who comes online when they get their skills and combo rather than items.

Last 20 ranked played. 15 defeats - 5 victories. Can't it balance out so you have more chance of winning the more you lose instead of the more you lose.. you lose more? :/

Ok. Worst grade ive gotten in all those defeats is C+ so i'm not the one losing my lane and feed the other team.

I managed to climb out of Bronze II and had a couple of good games, got to promo again. Lost all 3 in a row, 2 thanks to fucking griefers, they can go hang themselves.. sorry not sorry. After that i had back and forth of wins and defeats until i got demoted back to Bronze II where i've had 1 victory and just a string of defeats until another demotion to Bronze III.

ELO hell it is real i guess?
pretty much all the games you lose are games where you don't get a kill snowball, so you struggle to stay relevant since you can't get a lead through cs deficits. you need to farm better than that if you want to win.

pretty much all the games you lose are games where you don't get a kill snowball, so you struggle to stay relevant since you can't get a lead through cs deficits. you need to farm better than that if you want to win.

Doesnt matter how well i do if rest of my team gets their ass whooped. I can't solo a team no matter how well i might do. I've had plenty of games i have won my lane or atleast gotten better farm and killed my opponent while bot lane has sucked completely many number of games now.

I've had like 2-3 of my defeats where i've done badly on top due to the other player countering me HARD. But the majority of games the losses aint my fault but collectively.

Ever

Banned
Doesnt matter how well i do if rest of my team gets their ass whooped. I can't solo a team no matter how well i might do. I've had plenty of games i have won my lane or atleast gotten better farm and killed my opponent while bot lane has sucked completely many number of games now.

I've had like 2-3 of my defeats where i've done badly on top due to the other player countering me HARD. But the majority of games the losses aint my fault but collectively.

unlucky

:^)

unlucky

:^)

Dunno about unlucky but it's frustrating to see the opponent team having snowballed their botlane with 2-3 kills before 8-10 mins. And hearing first blood before 2 mins.

This happens more than my team doing the snowballing bot or that i get killed early. I rarely ever get killed or gank killed before like 15 mins..

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
you're like the textbook example of a classic bronze player in denial. you should be searching out ways to improve. going even or winning your lane slightly isn't enough in bronze.

I am not sure how to feel after the Pentakill cinematic like there is a complete world based on the game, was so random and pointless to show Kayle right after the song ended.

Didnt females yordles are furless? I didnt saw Heimer or Veigar there

Newt

yeah uh

this community isn't the best. I'm sorry.
Nah, this community is the best.

Honestly, in the past we did have issues with toxicity, but everyone has worked really hard to reform. I myself am an honor rank 3 player. I'm sure Dob was only joking.

zkylon

zkylewd
you're like the textbook example of a classic bronze player in denial. you should be searching out ways to improve. going even or winning your lane slightly isn't enough in bronze.
not really a bronze thing, i have diamond friends with the same mentality

in the end you play the game to have fun, if you're constantly frustrated you should look into how you approach the game and change what needs changing or play something else

faridmon

I can't for the live of me string two wins together. Someone spectate me and critisise my plays pls

So I started playing League because it's the only MOBA that works well on my laptop. Is there a GAF club or something? I am in EUW.

Yeah hit me up so I can add you to the club

Edit: Oh Leezard sorted you out. Cool, and Welcome!

jon bones

Braum was added to the free rotation - nice, been meaning to play him.

really about to be support main again... dungeons & dragons, final fantasy 14 and now lol.

clone-conspiracy-no-one-dies-208537.jpg

i don't see how i can skip that Kayle skin

pigeon

Banned

Real talk, if you dropped a Gold player into your games instead of you, he would be destroying his lane and carrying the game.

If you want to be in Gold, you need to be as good as that guy.

I don't have your op.gg and have no idea what's happening in your games but I'm still pretty confident you are dying unnecessarily, not warding enough, have poor map awareness, don't prioritize objectives properly when you have situational advantage, and don't effectively use your strengths to close out games.

JulianImp

I tried jungling in normals, picked Warwick because he's supposedly one of the easier junglers to use, and of course I sucked and got hopelessly behind really fast. Then picked top/sup like I usedd to and of course I got support, but at least I tried some more Thresh since I could afford picking him in normals.

Best part of the second game was that the adc was autofilled and he picked TF, and yet it was thanks to him that we ended up winning the game due to him ulting into the enemy nexus two times when they were busy elsewhere.

Even for the first game, at least I did enjoy that my teammates weren't tryhard enough to flame me for being an awful jungler, but even then I don't think I'll be able to get any good at the role anytime soon.

pigeon

Banned
I tried jungling in normals, picked Warwick because he's supposedly one of the easier junglers to use, and of course I sucked and got hopelessly behind really fast. Then picked top/sup like I usedd to and of course I got support, but at least I tried some more Thresh since I could afford picking him in normals.

Best part of the second game was that the adc was autofilled and he picked TF, and yet it was thanks to him that we ended up winning the game due to him ulting into the enemy nexus two times when they were busy elsewhere.

Even for the first game, at least I did enjoy that my teammates weren't tryhard enough to flame me for being an awful jungler, but even then I don't think I'll be able to get any good at the role anytime soon.

I really recommend watching some jungle streams if you are trying to learn to jungle, mainly just because the actual moment-to-moment thought process is so different from laning that it's helpful to at least understand what the hell you are supposed to be doing at any given time.

You can practice clearing in custom games so that you know how to do that effectively, but pathing and ganking just takes experience.

jon bones

yeah i'm not even going down the jungle road yet, i don't understand enough about the flow of the match

anyone got some Taric item builds?

faridmon

yeah i'm not even going down the jungle road yet, i don't understand enough about the flow of the match

anyone got some Braum play/build tips? i am having a tough time feeling out how offensive or defensive he should be

also, any good builds for Ahri, Nasus & Taric - three characters i'm enjoying a lot

For Braum, its best to build out all tank/maybe utility items. You'll have to actually think of What items synergies with champions ability at this point, so when it comes to Braum, you will be stuck to your ADC 80% of the time (Mainly because of your W) so investing in Knights Vow is essential (not 100% but its close)

Now as for your standard Utility builds, its always good to have Redemption as a Supp in General, Your W will give slight shield so maybe a Redemption's passive will come in handy. Iron Solari is also good for TF is close proximity which Braum might be in. This will also go very well with Stone Plate for HP scaling. If you don't care about CD that is.

If you really care about CD (like I do) its good to build Frozen Hearts is a must. It gives you 20% CD and synergies well with your Passive resulting in a lot of stuns. So try that out (only good against AD champions) Abyssal Mask for MR although Solari, ZZ, Stoneplte all give you MR so judge your situation.

Its always good to experiment. See which one works for you, personally I like going with Redemption, Frozen Heart, Solari and then ZZ Portal

zkylon

zkylewd
more runes stuff: https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.c...er-stormlords-mandate-and-spellslingers-surge

i'm uncertain if unique means non dot or actually unique. as in, does two ori q's count?

looks kind of decent changes, will get rid of fringe abuses and standarize across the board for better balance

new stormraiders looks kinda bad since you won't be able to proc it off a single spell, but idk, 60% ms is a lot

also here's a jinx

bomb__by_liang_xing-dbikr29.jpg

i don't particularly like playing jinx but she's a cool character

Ever

Banned

anyone got some Taric item builds?

Braum usually builds full tank, and changes late game support items based on the flow of the game and the ADC he's supporting.

A standard Braum build: Start Relic Shield + 3 pots. Then go into Sightstone -> Boots -> Locket -> Face of the Mountain (RS upgrade) -> Redemption/Knights's Vow -> Ruby Sightstone

jon bones

For Braum, its best to build out all tank/maybe utility items. You'll have to actually think of What items synergies with champions ability at this point, so when it comes to Braum, you will be stuck to your ADC 80% of the time (Mainly because of your W) so investing in Knights Vow is essential (not 100% but its close)

Now as for your standard Utility builds, its always good to have Redemption as a Supp in General, Your W will give slight shield so maybe a Redemption's passive will come in handy. Iron Solari is also good for TF is close proximity which Braum might be in. This will also go very well with Stone Plate for HP scaling. If you don't care about CD that is.

If you really care about CD (like I do) its good to build Frozen Hearts is a must. It gives you 20% CD and synergies well with your Passive resulting in a lot of stuns. So try that out (only good against AD champions) Abyssal Mask for MR although Solari, ZZ, Stoneplte all give you MR so judge your situation.

Its always good to experiment. See which one works for you, personally I like going with Redemption, Frozen Heart, Solari and then ZZ Portal

Braum usually builds full tank, and changes late game support items based on the flow of the game and the ADC he's supporting.

A standard Braum build: Start Relic Shield + 3 pots. Then go into Sightstone -> Boots -> Locket -> Face of the Mountain (RS upgrade) -> Redemption/Knights's Vow -> Ruby Sightstone

thanks, i tried him again and i really do think i prefer Taric

i love how many heals / stuns he can get off and also doesn't die too easily

suggestions for Taric?

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel like we shouldn't be experimenting and playing and they should be clear instead lol?

also at least in the wiki it never says "unique" in maokai's kit :T

Well unique is quite obvious

They even say that something like make it rain counts as 1 ability instead of multiple ones, since its a multi damage component

drawkcaB

thanks, i tried him again and i really do think i prefer Taric

i love how many heals / stuns he can get off and also doesn't die too easily

suggestions for Taric?

Masteries are 0/18/12 with Windspeaker's Blessing at his keystone, (odd duck for a tank support). Courage of the Colossus isn't particularly great once you're out of lane because you won't be engaging all that much and Taric's CC isn't reliable enough for Stoneborn Pact, which is fine because you have your own healing baked into the kit. Again, odd duck.

Skill order is E-W-Q to start.

Then you can either max E or Q first, both are perfectly viable. Generally speaking, max E vs. engage supports (Thresh, Blitz, Leona) and utility supports (Janna, Nami) and max E against poke supports (Zyra, Brand). These aren't hard rules though. You have until level 4 to commit to any skill ordering. This is particularly important against champions that are combo utility and poke (Karma, Lulu, Sona). As you play Taric you'll start to develop your own style, learn support match-ups, ADC pairings, etc. and that'll influence your skill ordering.

The second skill to max is also up in the air. If you max'ed E first, then Q is next to protect your ADC if they're doing super well. If you have a fed bruiser/tank on the team, the consider going W second because it scales on the target's max health. If you max'ed Q first, then max W next for more raw protection or E for more CC/catch potential and a touch more damage.

For item builds, again Taric is flexible. Default is Relic Shield to start, but in poke lanes (or rather lanes you expect you'll be max'ing Q first and using it frequently) Ancient Coin is viable as well. Also consider your team's composition. If you happen to have several champions on your team that have trouble getting engaging, then Talisman of Ascension can be the tie-breaker in your starting itemization.

For the initial build, it's the usual boots/sightstone/upgrade your starting item in the order you see fit. Boot choices are Lucidity Boots (best if winning), Ninja Tabis (most general option). Mobis (if you plan on roaming a lot), and Merc Treads (buy if the enemy team has a lot of CC, don't just buy for the MR)

If you started Relic Shield, then Eye of the Equinox is a possible item pickup if your team is winning early on and you want to close-out. Outside of Relic Shield, Eye of the Equinox, and Talisman, Taric's core items consist of:

Redemption (most flexible option)
Knight's Vow (build for armor and to protect a fed ADC)
Locket (build vs. magic damage heavy teams or if an opposing AP champ is fed)

Build in the order you see fit, and only build if it makes sense. Locket vs. all AD comps isn't going to help at all. Other items that are fantastic on Taric:

Zeke's Convergence (get your fed ADC absolutely popping and well protected)
Ardent Censer (build if you have multiple AA heavy champions doing well. Taric proc's the passive ridiculously well, possibly as well or even more so than Sona)
Righteous Glory (when you are absolutely the only engage option for your team)
Abyssal Mask (2nd best MR item for Taric after locket, particularly if your team is magic damage heavy)

and for a laugh:

Iceborn Gauntlet (this with Q spam is just hilarious when you're ahead, but only do it to add salt to the wound!)

i feel like we shouldn't be experimenting and playing and they should be clear instead lol?

also at least in the wiki it never says "unique" in maokai's kit :T

I mean, yeah sure, if you really want to focus on the his usage of words or whatever.

If it's still not clear to you, go to the official forums (or maybe reddit or their twitter) and ask him to clarify. It's not like they don't respond to people.

But if we're determining how it works, him saying 'see Maokai passive' clears up the mechanics.

Top Bottom