• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

23qwerty

if it works it works, it works for them so why whine about it

top of page or whatever

league_of_legends_fan_art___tahm_kench_retreat___by_benlo-d9ki3br.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Oh I agree with that. But replace that with a Singed who really wants to play smite, and he clearly explains his plan to the allied team. And the allied team just shits the bed.

What then? IMO if this new 'ruling' protects those players, sure. That's fine.
People can do dumb or weird things and not get banned. I have accidentally played as support with teleport. I have played a decent amount of Garen jungle. I play with people that regularly pick stuff like Shaco support. Those are not ways someone gets banned. Players get banned for ruining the experience of their teammates on a regular basis. These are not well meaning people who step slightly out of line and get banned.

zkylon

zkylewd
I've seen it before, I've experienced it before. I'm specifically talking Ranked.

The harder you want to win, the less 'fun' you have unless you go into ranked with the intention of not giving a fuck. A need to win and progress in ranked is counter to having fun.
there's degrees to that

you might be playing a different game by playing competitively and wanting to win but that doesn't mean you'll steep to any lows just to win

most people would probably want to have agency on how the game's played and not want to random dude decide it for them

Leezard

I've seen it before, I've experienced it before. I'm specifically talking Ranked.

The harder you want to win, the less 'fun' you have unless you go into ranked with the intention of not giving a fuck. A need to win and progress in ranked is counter to having fun.

I don't agree. Having a high quality ranked game is much more fun than dicking around in trollish games. Playing random shit is the furthest away from fun the game will get from me. Winning is fun, but even a loss can be fun if it's a high quality game.

TheFlow

Banned
had to dodge my first game. because of this autofill adc giving everyone a hard time in champ select. not dealing with that shit.

edit: that moment when you get carried by a Riven jungler. Tank riven jungle is no joke

Players who cause an undue amount of frustration and pain because of a crazy pick but are dedicated to winning (not trolling) will not receive a ban instead we’ll temporarily lock their account.

giphy.gif

"Sup fam! We see you're trying to play hard for a win, and you're not trolling, but since people in the League community want things their way, we're gonna lock your account and meddle for no reason."

With their account unlocked the player is free to return to games right away.
Player Support will reach out again if they find any actual behavior problems. If they’re flagged with unsportsmanlike conduct, or outright trolling, they’ll receive a penalty. If it’s just their style to try to win with weird picks and unusual plays then they won’t get a penalty.

This is all that matters. If they are doing something that is actually wrong, they should get punished. People don't need to get their accounts locked and receive mini interventions by Player Support because people don't like how they spend their time. Riot should 100% be on the side of the player who is playing off-meta stuff, and this new account lock thing is pointless.

I don't get what locking out an account accomplishes. If they think the guy isn't trolling why do they even need to force him to talk to support in the first place?

What a half assed stance. If anyone tries to pull this jungle support shit with me in rank I'm pulling a Newt and showing them my pattented on hit ADC Cho, after all its fine as long as I dont int and try to win.

I bought Akali on a whim and she's pretty fun. I'm not really winning games more often lol but I'm usually winning lane and having fun so that's nice I guess.

Should I be playing tank akali?

TheFlow

Banned
Decent climb today.

I got tilted because 4 of my games were with the same players. that did not go well.

Master yi seems to be a popular jungler along with wu top.

Funniest ban today by the way. my adc banned lulu. he was very vivid about it. We won that game.

Quonny

Every time you win a Normal Blind or Normal Draft game on Summoner’s Rift during the Slumber Party event with either Annie, Gnar, Alistar, Maokai, or Udyr, you’ll earn 100 points.

zzz summoner's rift

riot you know that there are people that play another game mode and spend money right

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
zzz summoner's rift

riot you know that there are people that play another game mode and spend money right
Nobody can choose their champ on ARAM and I'm pretty sure champs like Udyr are weighted as very uncommon rolls.

JulianImp

The more you want to win, the less it'll be fun.

That's just a fact. You can't have fun and want to win.

I think you might want to check out Mark Rosewater's player archetypes for Magic The Gathering (which do apply to other kinds of games as well, IMO), one of which is Spike, the competitive player who derives fun from winning. He doesn't care about building creative decks or making flashy plays, he wants optimal stuff that makes him win and cares little to nothing about other aspects of the game.

Still, LoL's different in that each individual player has less agency by virtue of it being a 5v5 game, so it does make sense that someone going smite support Singed might be complicating things to his teammates who aren't used to that particular playstyle even if everyone on the team is playing to win, but I do agree that not banning them as long as they aren't voluntarily sabotaging the game for their teammates is fair. After all, I've had several games where people would rage at my tp top Singed with stupid stuff like "get a real top like Darius, ffs" when I was doing my job splitpushing to divert attention and actually going to teamfights whenever I could.

Now that I think about it, low elo might be even worse for bogus reports since people are in an awkward position where some of them are slaves to a lcs metagame that doesn't really apply to them, and often even go as far as to keep picking or banning champs long after they got nerfed to the ground because they don't even follow patch notes, but do rage at anyone for off-meta picks. Earlier this season I got way too many people hating on my support Malz with comments such as "ffs stop copying crazy koreans", and it was only because I started playing it earlier than most other bronze players after having watched a couple Aphromoo streams and realizing that Malz was really powerful and easy to use as a support.

TheFlow

Banned
Bronze is so late to everything.

Like people there don't realize why something is effective or not effective.

For example ask a low Elo player why mf support was played so much and they will say "her ult is op" lol. So you get mf/adc comps that fail

JulianImp

Bronze is so late to everything. These are the people who play corki mid after 7.5

That the biggest issue with reports in bronze, since people constantly whine about "off-meta" picks and might even report them. I mean, I've seen way too many players asking teammates or the rival team to report some other player because they were doing badly, when it was clear they weren't actually inting but just doing random dumb bronzie plays. ADCs even threatened to report my Nami because I wasn't sticking to them 24/7, and they happened to die at those times when they somehow decided pushing a reset lane all the way into the enemy's inhibitor turret by themselves was a good idea (hint: it wasn't).

scy

I think you might want to check out Mark Rosewater's player archetypes for Magic The Gathering (which do apply to other kinds of games as well, IMO), one of which is Spike, the competitive player who derives fun from winning. He doesn't care about building creative decks or making flashy plays, he wants optimal stuff that makes him win and cares little to nothing about other aspects of the game.

In general, Mark Rosewater's articles / podcasts (+ his talk at GDC last year, really good if anyone is interested in design and has an hour to spare) is a lot of what inspired or directed most my design philosophy thoughts. Mostly a random tidbit but it's always nice to see the Spike article referenced :D

Still, LoL's different in that each individual player has less agency by virtue of it being a 5v5 game, so it does make sense that someone going smite support Singed might be complicating things to his teammates who aren't used to that particular playstyle even if everyone on the team is playing to win, but I do agree that not banning them as long as they aren't voluntarily sabotaging the game for their teammates is fair.

It all exists in this weird area of gauging intent with the outcome along with how often people don't get why they win or lose particularly well; all of this then combined to try and make a generalization to work off of for all cases. X pick with Y is 'wrong' and then Z happened, therefore I can make some conclusion for all cases rather than gauging an individual situation.

TheFlow

Banned
That the biggest issue with reports in bronze, since people constantly whine about "off-meta" picks and might even report them. I mean, I've seen way too many players asking teammates or the rival team to report some other player because they were doing badly, when it was clear they weren't actually inting but just doing random dumb bronzie plays. ADCs even threatened to report my Nami because I wasn't sticking to them 24/7, and they happened to die at those times when they somehow decided pushing a reset lane all the way into the enemy's inhibitor turret by themselves was a good idea (hint: it wasn't).

what is your username again on league? I need to look at what is going wrong with your nami play.

New champion when.

Been three months since Camille. I know we've had reworks, but where's mah new champs.

We don't need a new champ. Too many champs, with only half that actually see regular play.

Ever

Banned
Bronze is so late to everything.

Like people there don't realize why something is effective or not effective.

For example ask a low Elo player why mf support was played so much and they will say "her ult is op" lol. So you get mf/adc comps that fail

The thing with meta shifts in solo queue is that they start from the top, and slowly trickle down to the bottom of the ladder. Remember when Ghostblade -> Cleaver Lucian first started becoming popular? It started in high elo Korean solo queue. From there it transfers to different regions, starting with Challenger/Masters/Diamond. Then we start going down the ladder. Platinum and Gold are next, and finally Silver and Bronze start changing.

I remember playing a game in Silver 4 pre-season 7, a guy was building Cleaver -> GB Lucian even after the Lethality changes (this was when it was garbage, only gave 40% initially) He said it was OP and went 0/7.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's not really a bronze thing, by riot's own words there's only a handful of these people that get banned every year

most ppl playing weird shit are either really trolling or aren't disruptive to a degree that finds themselves being consistently reported enough to warrant a ban

people just don't like playing with support singed, it's not a flaw of the system or people misusing it, it's people using it correctly to dictate what they feel is cool and what isn't

TheFlow

Banned
The thing with meta shifts in solo queue is that they start from the top, and slowly trickle down to the bottom of the ladder. Remember when Ghostblade -> Cleaver Lucian first started becoming popular? It started in high elo Korean solo queue. From there it transfers to different regions, starting with Challenger/Masters/Diamond. Then we start going down the ladder. Platinum and Gold are next, and finally Silver and Bronze start changing.

I remember playing a game in Silver 4 pre-season 7, a guy was building Cleaver -> GB Lucian even after the Lethality changes (this was when it was garbage, only gave 40% initially) He said it was OP and went 0/7.

LOL DEAD. the whole thing around lethality is a perfect example of people not knowing why it is op.

Night of edge was broken, but not many people started building it till riot made a big deal about it.

Note this was when I was low Silver.

TheFlow

Banned
Same as my username, and remember I play on LAS (I think I made a LAN account by mistake when I was getting started).

looking at your nami build.

on your first back if you do not have enough for sightstone+boots.

get boots two faerie charms and then vision wards.

the extra mana per sec allows you to pop off more heals and provides sustain. plus as nami you can never have enough faerie charms because not only do they stack, but most of her items require at least two per item.

instead of mobility boots get cdr boots instead. nami has a fast base speed, plus your E cost basically nothing once you get that redemption mana regen.

your nami looks like it does the job, So I would just focus on improving oneself.

Top Bottom