• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Diana's get quads every other game.
Well it's my second Quadra ever, and I still never won getting one. Basically because in both cases it was me cleaning up, so I had no team left to take objectives...

you should be ashamed of playing diana.
unless your playing vs kata
I was playing against the Kat :D

I might return Diana, something about her doesn't click in my brain and I for some reason don't use smartcast and missclick her "combo", I dunno...

Before Foxfire Ahri: 2/5/3 Loss
After Foxfire Ahri: 8/1/4 Win

SKINS WIN GAMES
Amen brother, I had the same thing happen to me with the same skin.

Merovin

Well it's my second Quadra ever, and I still never won getting one. Basically because in both cases it was me cleaning up, so I had no team left to take objectives...

I was playing against the Kat :D

I might return Diana, something about her doesn't click in my brain and I for some reason don't use smartcast and missclick her "combo", I dunno...

Amen brother, I had the same thing happen to me with the same skin.

I played probably, 800 games before I started smart casting, could not adjust to it, but once you get used to it, it's so worth it. Improved my play tenfold, I'd highly recommend just playing a few games to adjust to it.

zkylon

zkylewd
I played probably, 800 games before I started smart casting, could not adjust to it, but once you get used to it, it's so worth it. Improved my play tenfold, I'd highly recommend just playing a few games to adjust to it.
I smartcast with every single champion, but for some reason I can't seem to do it with Diana. Like my brain just malfunctions or something.

scy

Depends on what you find awkward with it. Hitting the end target isn't too hard but lining up the arc is a bit of a hassle if you're not familiar with the width of the arc. Also, travel time.

No Zed free week still? Seems weird.
Wonder if that means Nami is still another week out.

Cathcart

I smartcast with every single champion, but for some reason I can't seem to do it with Diana. Like my brain just malfunctions or something.

Do you have that option that lets you see the range if you hold the button in? For weird stuff like Diana's Q I just hold down the key, aim the mouse, then let go. It's slower than other abilities but still slightly faster than Q + aim + click.

Cathcart

Before Foxfire Ahri: 2/5/3 Loss
Oh right, so back to this for a second. The loss was against an Akali mid. I was having a hard time doing much of anything to her and just when I thought I had her she'd burst me down before I could blink. Is Akali naturally a difficult match for Ahri or was it just a skill level thing? Anyone have some good Ahri tips?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
so prep a lane for a push to coincide with your team coming back. drop some wards. steal enemy buffs. kill dragon.

zkylon

zkylewd
Depends on what you find awkward with it. Hitting the end target isn't too hard but lining up the arc is a bit of a hassle if you're not familiar with the width of the arc. Also, travel time.
Yeah, what weirds me out is that it happens with her ult too. I'm weird, I dunno :p

Do you have that option that lets you see the range if you hold the button in? For weird stuff like Diana's Q I just hold down the key, aim the mouse, then let go. It's slower than other abilities but still slightly faster than Q + aim + click.
Yeah, I have smartcast indicators on because it feels weird without them. I basically shift-Q instead of just Q because I like to have the option of not smartcasting available, and I'm pretty used to it.

Oh right, so back to this for a second. The loss was against an Akali mid. I was having a hard time doing much of anything to her and just when I thought I had her she'd burst me down before I could blink. Is Akali naturally a difficult match for Ahri or was it just a skill level thing? Anyone have some good Ahri tips?
I'd say Ahri is a pretty good matchup, you have a stun on demand you can use to fuck up her combo and you can max W first and punish her if she decides to jump on ya. Still, Akali's pretty scary against most mids, and your ult won't help you run away from her.

Also your pre-6 is way better.

so prep a lane for a push to coincide with your team coming back. drop some wards. steal enemy buffs. kill dragon.
I don't remember what I actually did right afterwards, but yeah, specially with Diana that clears ridiculously fast.

Ferrio

Banned
Laned as Diana vs Zyra last night. I forgot how much damage zyra does, I'd bait the snare... dive on her ass and still come out even if not worse than her.

Her teammates weren't that lucky though.

scy

Akali would destroy an Ahri. Ahri has a problem with champs that can do rapid amounts of burst damage and keep up with her ult. That said, all of Ahri's match ups are skill ones. If you can land a Charm, you can do enough damage to force them out of lane (or to at least play passively). Alternatively, you can defensively Charm when they go in to engage since a lot of their approach patterns are pretty obvious. On top of that, Ahri has a great escape/juking tool that lets her outplay her opponent, though it's not that relevant vs a point-and-click champion like Akali (who can chase the ult anyway).

That said, you can harass her out at low levels and force her to farm with her Q only; she can't do much 1-6 against you except Q farm and cs in shroud. Controlling the lane early should let you just play from ahead later on and deal with her burst by just having better items. You'd still probably lose in a direct fight, though, so you're basically going to need a good Charm to land at some point.

Setting up lanes to push helps if, say, Baron is up for everyone to convene to. Lets you either take it for free while the lanes push or allows you to standoff at Baron while the lanes push.

Of course, if you set the lanes to push and then your team clears your own jungle and comes together after the lanes are dealt with then you're basically back to start :x Always need to be ready to take advantage of a pushed lane whenever possible.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

There are only 2 ways Akali can win, 1. she burst the crap out of you, 2. she roam and burst the crap out of your teammate.

Rush abyssal + 2 doran after level 6, as long as you can keep the lane push while staying alive, Akali will fall off. You can also get the 400 gold mres, and save it for the g angel later on. I wouldn't recommand mercury tread since it will ruin your damage output.

Take this with a grain of salt tho, I just remember I got stomped by akali yesterday.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I mained Akali and I'm very proficient with her. Not anymore since I don't play her anymore but I do know the ins and outs. She can sufficiently burst you prior to 6 by abusing her Shroud. She can trade damage and cs at the same time using the stealth field. In order to shut her down you just by a pink ward or use jungle ganks. She has no escape beyond the stealth and if you're jungle comes in after she uses her shroud - basically on CD - then she'll die. Once she hits 6, she'll do constant burst rotations and kill you. It's pretty much hard to beat her unless you can outsustain her or outburst her. If you want to win against her without using ganks then you can just beat her by outplaying her before 6 which isn't too difficult. Just dodge her Q procs and auto attack her. Just whittle her down with autos and skills. If she roams then it's hard to beat her unless you have vision. She's a good pubstomper. Not ideal for team games.

scy

Huh? Is this list wrong then?

Guess the list I saw earlier was a fake one, oops~

Well I guess that makes me feel a bit better. I don't understand Akali very well, I'll have to brush up on her. Thanks for the write up!

She's an assassin so she's kind of meant to kill squishy targets like an Ahri. She's melee range, though, so that keeps her back some when she's limited to "walk to target to hit them" for 1-6. Basically, her Q deals damage and marks a target; consuming the mark (hitting them again) will deal that damage again. Her W gives her a +Armor/MR field that stealths her and slows enemies. Her E is just (area) damage. Her ult is a dash to target that deals damage and the cooldown is frontloaded; she stocks up to three charges for it.

Basically, pre-6, keep some distance from her shroud when she places it down. She can get free harass out of it by QE+Autoing you. It has a long cooldown (20s) so you have a lot of time between uses of it to harass her. Post-6, it's basically the same except she can ult out of the shroud, QE+Auto, and then either stay on you with more ult use or just ult away and hide in her shroud to do it again.

Also, I forgot to mention you can just put a Pink ward down in your lane and you can deal with her when she stealths in the shroud.

Edit: Alternatively, you can just push the lane up a lot and roam yourself. Akali's wave clear is serviceable late game but not that great early on. Keeping her pushed back to turret lets you do more things on the map than her. This can, potentially, open up Akali to roam herself, however, so you'd need wards to keep an eye on her when/if she leaves lane after you do.

2. she roam and burst the crap out of your teammate.

WHY IS AKALI BOT OH GOD SAVE US.

zkylon

zkylewd
With Akali as most assassins you'll want to do your earnest not to get her fed, so basically never leave lane if she's still there (or have your jungler cover for you), punish her cs if she tries to step outside of lane to gank and buy MR. Push push push so she can't do anything but stay in lane, and she's pretty shit at that. Doing that you make sure you don't feed and that your other lanes don't feed her.

The moment she's free to roam is the moment you lost control of the game and lost.

Edit: I think I was hasty to say "good" match up with Ahri, but I was thinking of my own list of mids, and she ranks among the few that have actually a bit of mobility and a stun-on-demand, but yeah, Ahri is very easily burst down, so it's not the safest of picks. I'd like to try Diana against Akali :D

garath

Laned as Diana vs Zyra last night. I forgot how much damage zyra does, I'd bait the snare... dive on her ass and still come out even if not worse than her.

Her teammates weren't that lucky though.

Sounds like you played that well. Zyra is pretty tough against Diana but even as a "counter" Diana can still flourish. She just farms so well. She'll use a lot of mana against Zyra with shields and poking down the insane plants though. I usually have to go double doran's rings and hope I'm getting my blue.

I roam a lot more when I'm up against a Zyra. Secure kills. :p

Cathcart

Edit: I think I was hasty to say "good" match up with Ahri, but I was thinking of my own list of mids, and she ranks among the few that have actually a bit of mobility and a stun-on-demand, but yeah, Ahri is very easily burst down, so it's not the safest of picks. I'd like to try Diana against Akali :D
Yeah, I've just been playing blind pick normals with friends a lot so I didn't know I'd be up against Akali (and even if I did I didn't know the matchup at the time). I'm still in the "just play a ton of games with a bunch of champs" phase of learning LoL so I actually prefer blind pick. This way if I want to practice up on Ahri nobody is going to tell me not to pick her because of the other team's lineup.

Tons of great tips from you guys, thanks. Lots of good stuff to work on now.

scy

Sounds like you played that well. Zyra is pretty tough against Diana but even as a "counter" Diana can still flourish. She just farms so well. She'll use a lot of mana against Zyra with shields and poking down the insane plants though. I usually have to go double doran's rings and hope I'm getting my blue.

Diana is considered a fairly good Zyra counter. Dodge Zyra E, burst her down. Zyra's zone range is less than Diana's Q so you can work around her Thorn Spitters. Diving her if she has plants to ult will probably get you killed but Zyra's pretty easy to take down once you get into range. Kat, Akali, Diana, etc. are all basically Zyra's bane in lane: She doesn't deal with in your face pressure very well without her E/Vine Lasher's available.

But ... it's mid lane. Basically every match up has a "can be outplayed" corollary somewhere.

Ferrio

Banned

Always go double dorans on diana myself, just like the mana regen... especially if some reason I didn't get blue. Went abyssal first which I normally don't since that damage was so scary.

edit: Realized my caster page I've been using has 0 MR on it too.. which wasn't helping. Made a caster MR page now since I have a lot more rune pages.

garath

Diana is considered a fairly good Zyra counter. Dodge Zyra E, burst her down. Zyra's zone range is less than Diana's Q so you can work around her Thorn Spitters. Diving her if she has plants to ult will probably get you killed but Zyra's pretty easy to take down once you get into range. Kat, Akali, Diana, etc. are all basically Zyra's bane in lane: She doesn't deal with in your face pressure very well without her E/Vine Lasher's available.

But ... it's mid lane. Basically every match up has a "can be outplayed" corollary somewhere.

Heimer or Zyra with turrets/plants make cs'ing a bitch with any melee based mid champ. Kat would have the easiest time with a resourceless way to farm but Diana will have mana issues if you are just farming with Q. As always the assassin takes the lead post-6 but on paper a Zyra will have established a bit of a lead by that point. She has good range on her auto, cc and the plants. If I was a better Zyra player I'd pick her every time against Diana.

Always go double dorans on diana myself, just like the mana regen... especially if some reason I didn't get blue. Went abyssal first which I normally don't since that damage was so scary.
edit: Realized my caster page I've been using has 0 MR on it too.. which wasn't helping. Made a caster MR page now since I have a lot more rune pages.

I go 1 or 2. Depends on how the lane is going and how the blue buff looks. I try to stay very conservative with mana pre 6. I'd rather get a negatron early if I can manage it. MR very important :p My favorite Diana/Kat runepage right now is movespeed quints, magic pen marks, hp regen/lvl seals, flat MR glyphs.

Cathcart

Also, Mecha Kha'zix: totally worth the purchase. The spread shot rockets, targeting reticles on isolated targets, color change on Evolved Active Camouflage and the stealth effect are all awesome. I still really like classic Kha'zix but this skin is super cool.

garath

I am this close to refunding Zed. He seems right up my alley but in 10 or so games, I haven't gotten a single win with him. It's just not clicking. But if I do, now I'll have used 2 of my 3 refunds :( Maybe I shouldn't have refunded Rengar just to rebuy him on sale. Whoops.

I really got to nail down my Diana item build. I think I'm gonna add a GA to the core build, I think if I had one yesterday I could've turned the match around.

So basically double doran's, abyss (zhonya's if I'm against an AD), rab's, GA.

Pretty much what I do.

1-2 dorans->Sorc shoes->Abyssal is almost guranteed. From there I either go Zhonya's if it looks like I'm going to be the initiation for the team or I'm facing some pretty heavy burst AD or otherwise, GA if I'm way ahead and laning phase is pretty much over, or Rabadon's if I need to be the primary damage dealer and we have another initiator on the team (i.e. our bot lane got smashed but I smashed my lane).

End build is Sorc shoes, Abyssal, Zhonya's, Rab, GA, Void staff

zkylon

zkylewd
I really got to nail down my Diana item build. I think I'm gonna add a GA to the core build, I think if I had one yesterday I could've turned the match around.

So basically double doran's, abyss (zhonya's if I'm against an AD), rab's, GA.

Get Kat in ARAM.

Other team has Blitz, Amumu, and Rammus.

Cry.
lol that's terrible

scy

Heimer or Zyra with turrets/plants make cs'ing a bitch with any melee based mid champ.

Heimer's turrets are beefier and last longer than Zyra plants; he's actually the bane of quite a few mids due to that. Zyra plants are on a 17s cooldown (16s typically for Rank 1) with low damage at low levels (26 + 6/Level). They last 10 seconds (when sprouted, 30s otherwise). They take 3 hits to kill. Thorn Spitter's have a fairly high range (750) but it's not enough to cover the width of the lane. If the seed is in the center of the lane then they're open to merely getting shield killed out or just waiting for 10 seconds. Alternatively, you can just let them push your lane up and you farm under turret for a few waves.

Diana's meant to beat out champions with skillshot based CC for their defense options. Zyra is very much one of those. You do have to deal with her 1-6 but that applies to quite a few of her matchups anyway.

I am this close to refunding Zed.

season 3 bro

The biggest problem with Zed is getting a team comp that works well with him. Even in GAF games, we tend to not get an AP top when I pick Zed. Needs a Rumble or Vlad or Elise or something top to at least keep the threat of AP damage around otherwise armor armor armor armor armor and forcing LWs everywhere. He'll fare better in Season 3 if only for the fact that Armor is more expensive and Penetration gets better returns vs stacked Armor.

...at least, my optimism is hoping hard for this. I find him fun to play :(

Ferrio

Banned
Had a diana jungle go with one of the worst builds I ever saw. (Boots of swiftness, and incomplete Roa). She still had the most kills on the team and 0 deaths.... that's derpy.

IsayFever

Had a diana jungle go with one of the worst builds I ever saw. (Boots of swiftness, and incomplete Roa). She still had the most kills on the team and 0 deaths.... that's derpy.

Broken champion that doesn't need items to do more damage than almost every other ap mid, yeah kinda derpy

Blizzard

Banned
One of the things that is most amusing with Zed, aside from when people are confused about dying to his delayed ult damage, is when you end up laning against someone with 15 armor mid lane, and hit them with the double Q once or twice. They may tend to become cautious after that.

garath

season 3 bro

The biggest problem with Zed is getting a team comp that works well with him. Even in GAF games, we tend to not get an AP top when I pick Zed. Needs a Rumble or Vlad or Elise or something top to at least keep the threat of AP damage around otherwise armor armor armor armor armor and forcing LWs everywhere. He'll fare better in Season 3 if only for the fact that Armor is more expensive and Penetration gets better returns vs stacked Armor.

...at least, my optimism is hoping hard for this. I find him fun to play :(

We'll see. I can't even bring myself to pick him anymore. Between learning Rengar and learning Zed I'm about -20 in w/l over the last month. At least I win with Rengar now. Zed is like an instant lose pick for me. It's part the teams, part me. I think he's a lot of fun but I'm just not winning and my team bitches and moans when I pick him. I suspect not a lot of people win with him in general lol.

One of the things that is most amusing with Zed, aside from when people are confused about dying to his delayed ult damage, is when you end up laning against someone with 15 armor mid lane, and hit them with the double Q once or twice. They may tend to become cautious after that.

Haha yeah. I played a couple blind pick games where I was taking away a third of their hp with just 1 Q. My default AD page includes some armor pen. It was practically true damage.

I generally lane pretty well with him but from there it's just ugly. Especially when my team is losing every lane.

zkylon

zkylewd
Pretty much what I do.

1-2 dorans->Sorc shoes->Abyssal is almost guranteed. From there I either go Zhonya's if it looks like I'm going to be the initiation for the team or I'm facing some pretty heavy burst AD or otherwise, GA if I'm way ahead and laning phase is pretty much over, or Rabadon's if I need to be the primary damage dealer and we have another initiator on the team (i.e. our bot lane got smashed but I smashed my lane).

End build is Sorc shoes, Abyssal, Zhonya's, Rab, GA, Void staff
Yeah I wish I could use Zhonya's to initiate but my ping always ensures I never get to pop it quick enough. I mostly buy it for the armor (the 100 AP doesn't hurt, too), which is why I'm thinking of buying a GA instead.

Also I suck at farming with Cho'Gath, I was up against a Nidalee and she ended laning phase with 90 cs more than me :/

mercviper

Lux still best mid hero confirmed.

Boken can confirm that.

I got rocked in lane yesterday by a good one as Annie. Dodged all the Q's in the world but couldn't avoid E's that she'd land and immediately run backwards to avoid the counter harass from my shitty 600 range.

Blizzard

Banned
Is it me, or do a majority of luxs always rock clarity? Swear it's the champion I see it the most on.
I don't know if it's a majority of Lux's, but it may well be the champion that ends up with clarity the most. Sometimes you just gotta laser.

zkylon

zkylewd
Is it me, or do a majority of luxs always rock clarity? Swear it's the champion I see it the most on.
I've seen many on her, but she's not that mana dependant (compared to Ori, at least), so I don't see the appeal, specially since lux lives in the "almost kill" zone and desperately needs Ignite...

mercviper

If you see a lux with clarity, it's probably a bad one tbh. :/

She does have mana heavy costs and a small pool to draw from, but she also does enough damage to force the opponent to go back when they land. Grabbing clarity is kinda like saying, "I'm going to miss a lot of my spells."

akali is one of those champions that puts innate rage into my soul

you know that feeling when you're in loading screen and you're shaking your head out of disgust because you hate that champion?

that's akali for me, I hate that bitch

any chance I get to smash an akali I will -- they're basically darius players

garath

Crazy sale this week.

Diana – 487 RP
Lulu – 487 RP
Nunu – 130 RP
Olaf – 487 RP
Ezreal – 487 RP

Dark Valkyrie Diana – 487 RP
Bittersweet Lulu – 487 RP
Demolisher Nunu – 487 RP
Glacial Olaf – 260 RP
Frosted Ezreal – 260 RP

Only thing I'm picking up is the Frosted Ezreal skin, just cause it's cheap lol.

Merovin

I love me some Anivia, getting good at this cs'ing.

wVl6V.jpg

Edit:

Wheyohh

JJY9y.jpg

Time to ruin it with a third.

scy

That's a pretty good team comp out of the sales champs (Olaf top, Nunu jungle, Diana mid, Ezreal/Lulu bot).

Guess I might as well buy Lulu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom