• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
In other news, Aatrox is such a fun champion.

First two games in silver 5 since my promo and it felt more like bronze 5. Ive never had such morons on both teams. Feed fests and kill hunting all game with little to no focus on objectives. I think I need a two to three day break after that. Also ive been finding the most enjoyment playing around 10am PST. I seem to have no children,politeness in the lobby and team work.

On a happier note I am in love with nocturne all over again. Gonna try to get a 7 page rune bundle once I get my 10k rp from riot and play around with set ups.

Huh, I've noticed some of the most fun ranked games I play are very late at night.

Boken

Banned
God I should just ask gaf to write part of the new player guide I've done nothing

Dear gaf,

here is the proposed skeleton/structure of my new player guide - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1heX36QaaqTWJOSxxAhhm3QexhCj-tHVl2d8cDJw17ZU/edit?usp=sharing

i need help writing it! if anybody wants, you could write any of the little sections in my new player guide and send it to me pm it to me.

also looking for comments on the structure - what information is needed and when (newer players tell me!), and in general, if any important information is missing

thats you :)
I remember some other PADders starting off on this game actually, or used to. You should ask there if anybody else is still a beginner and would like to learn with you.

Subtle

Promoted to Silver I. Gold V feels so close, yet so far.

Edit: Any tips on how to not rage in solo q? Been raging more often now that more's on the line. I try to mentally chat restrict myself, but it doesn't work all the time. Wish there was a way to turn on restricted chat mode for yourself.

Edit: Any tips on how to not rage in solo q? Been raging more often now that more's on the line. I try to mentally chat restrict myself, but it doesn't work all the time. Wish there was a way to turn on restricted chat mode for yourself.
Turn off /all chat, mute everyone in your team and listen to some relaxing K-pop music.

Helps me wonders.

Sometimes there are just stupid idiots in the game. It's hard to not call them out for being stupid. Solution? Call them stupid anyway. Yeah you get reported, but I've gotten the stupid little warning 'YOU'RE HAVING A BAD DAY GO HOME' a few times and nothing.

Maybe that's not the best solution. Have a friend to talk about the idiots in solo q.

scy

Meh, stop worrying about the "idiots" and worry more about yourself. Put your ego aside and care more about your mistakes (both your own misplays and forced ones) instead.

Meh, stop worrying about the "idiots" and worry more about yourself. Put your ego aside and care more about your mistakes (both your own misplays and forced ones) instead.

This is what I've started doing instead of worrying about bad teammates.

It makes a lot of sense since the only player you carry with you every game is yourself so there's no point in wasting effort and getting negative with someone you're only going to see for 60 minutes max.

Or you could apply SivHD's method of "will this matter 10 years from now" when it comes to getting angry or annoyed with teammates.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I feel like getting promoted relies on either chance at getting someone on your team that can carry everyone, being able to carry everyone on your own, getting a team fully capable with all roles, or facing a team that falls short in more departments.

So essentially luck of the draw if you main support :( Id love to get promoted by the end of the season but my wins and losses are so random.

Boken

Banned
Statistically, i believe that support mains have a higher chance of making it to upper tiers because there are a serious lack of people willing/know how to play support at lower tiers of ranked. you have to use that to your advantage though - as a support main you should always "beat" the other support - and as a result, usually win the bot lane for your team. you also get free wins when the enemy support is basically trolling because he doesnt want to support

some evidence: team gold gaf is pretty much full of support mains.

Newt

Statistically, i believe that support mains have a higher chance of making it to upper tiers because there are a serious lack of people willing/know how to play support at lower tiers of ranked. you have to use that to your advantage though - as a support main you should always "beat" the other support - and as a result, usually win the bot lane for your team. you also get free wins when the enemy support is basically trolling because he doesnt want to support

Nami = Happy Gold Gaffer

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
How do you become responsible over your adc if they don't play incredibly well? Is it just a matter of warding and having enough map awareness to make laning phase idiot proof, or what?

Newt

How do you become responsible over your adc if they don't play incredibly well? Is it just a matter of warding and having enough map awareness to make laning phase idiot proof, or what?
Just keep everywhere warded and try to freeze lane. Tell the adc to play passive and farm. If you can't freeze the lane just accept that you'll be farming under turret.

Boken

Banned

i linked you that aphromoo video because you lacked presence in lane. especially in a sona v soraka lane, you played more like a soraka than she did.
I dont level E at 4 unless i know my jungler is going to gank bot often, this gives you a lot more laning power. - Q-W-Q-W-Q-R-Q-E-Q then W>E

you become responsible by being the boss of the lane. the ADC's job is to farm and harass/respond to harass. the support should dictate the enemy's positioning, whether to engage or disengage, harassing and ward control.

The only problem with that is I feel uneasy leaving the major damage roles to other teammates. I know that I'm not going to give up at first blood so I'd rather have one of them secured. Also your ability as a support is reliant upon your ADC. If you're the greatest support in the world that won't help if your ADC is completely incompetent and can't even take kills that you feed them up on a silver platter.

However since you're speaking about statistics then you should be getting competent players in the other roles at fair intervals eventually allowing you to rise assuming your own play is good enough.

If the statistics really do support support mains over other roles in terms of how fast they climb the ladder then that's the role to play if that's what you're mainly concerned with.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
i linked you that aphromoo video because you lacked presence in lane. especially in a sona v soraka lane, you played more like a soraka than she did.
I dont level E at 4 unless i know my jungler is going to gank bot often, this gives you a lot more laning power. - Q-W-Q-W-Q-R-Q-E-Q then W>E

you become responsible by being the boss of the lane. the ADC's job is to farm and harass/respond to harass. the support should dictate the enemy's positioning, whether to engage or disengage, harassing and ward control.
I watched it, and really enjoyed seeing someone play Leona since I have been up against her a lot lately. As far as having more presence in lane, the difficulty I seem to have is when I am failing trades with the enemy team while my adc farms. Im not necessarily dying, but taking a hell of a lot more damage than I deal. I guess learning to use my passive and q range will help significantly though.

Boken

Banned
I watched it, and really enjoyed seeing someone play Leona since I have been up against her a lot lately. As far as having more presence in lane, the difficulty I seem to have is when I am failing trades with the enemy team while my adc farms. Im not necessarily dying, but losing a hell of a lot more damage than I deal. I guess learning to use my passive and q range will help significantly though.

yeah but even with me you were kinda letting me do all the work :(

Amakusa

I call this match. Pimp Hand Veigar and his 4 bitches, ending AP was 920!!

T5Dcn6i.jpg

Vayne free week is happening at the perfect time, I just raised enough IP to buy her and I had been thinking about it for a while. What should I know about her besides build attack speed/have good mechanics?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Ultimate truth. Now I need to learn top since more and more people are either duoing to help friends or just other support mains in general.

Blizzard

Banned

I tried this but just started losing with Nami as well. I could save the ADC a bunch, or save the team from deaths, but ultimately you cannot stop people who are going to simply blindly suicide.

I didn't get any spectator suggestions tonight, and am nearly losing back down to demotion and 50% wins/losses. Does anyone have suggestions on what I might have done in this game?

sej2turps.png

I beat Vayne in damage to champs, and nearly caught Fizz...I only realized after the game that he was going tank Fizz. I had one really bad mistake early in the game where I spam pinged dragon and started doing it, but pretty much by the time anyone else came, the other team had time to get back to the area even though it wasn't pink warded.

Vlad did well top lane, and I was begging him to come mid and use his advantage to help us push mid tower. He stayed top lane until he was doubled up and killed (432 gold reward!), like literally 5-10 seconds after I was begging him to come mid. Vayne started botrk and complained throughout the game about Graves and Taric burst, and how Graves was able to heal (with bloodthirster, while vayne had incomplete botrk). Later in the game, Vayne ran out of base and attempted to facetank Graves full skill combo (infinity edge, bloodthirster etc.) instead of defending the tower that she had recalled to save.

Just weird stuff like that. Sejuani seems super weak to counterjungling and can't counterjungle herself as far as I can tell, since you will lose 1v1 battles to anyone reasonable (Udyr, Vi, J4, whatever), and chances are going to be low in silver anyone will notice if you ping for a target in a certain spot.

So strategywise, would it have been best to keep farming? Try to split push? Try to focus on certain lanes? Follow Vlad around since he was fed early and maybe save him from the double gank?

Oh another thing, I literally typed in chat "stay out of Taric stun range until I get bot with ult"...and within 5-10 seconds, before I was near the lane, Vayne had charged into the middle of Taric and Graves and was trying to fight them.

Any tips are appreciated since I really am struggling how to carry from the jungle role if teammates have no damage or are suicidal despite repeated deaths.

Also support main is like tank/jungle main. Even when you win, you feel like "Wow, I just lost 4 years of my life from stress trying to herd everyone to do simple things and win."

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
stop buying homeguard. you shouldn't be getting counter jungled by vi. most counter jungling can be dealt with by just being in the right place at the right time. ward more.

Terrutas

Neo Member
Does anybody here play Zed? I've been trying to pick him up, but I'm not really sure what order to use my skills when I ult.

Generally, you want to use E immediately after since it spawns a shadow right behind him, and you get the slow making it easier to land the shuriken.

Blizzard

Banned
stop buying homeguard. you shouldn't be getting counter jungled by vi. most counter jungling can be dealt with by just being in the right place at the right time. ward more.
I like it for getting back to lanes faster to defend especially if towers or inhibs are getting pushed. What boot upgrade do you suggest -- the general movefast one?

And I don't typically get attacked in the jungle per se, I just mean that Sejuani doesn't seem like someone who can hunt the jungle and try to duel a jungler, since she provides the CC and (mostly) depends on teammates to provide the damage -- in my limited experience.

In contrast to that game, I had another one right after where the last pick person and their duo queue harassed in lobby (one claiming to be diamond queue which seemed obvious fabrication given their stats) and said they were going afk. They picked AP Sion and forced mid anyway. Their duo queue Aatrox top gave up first blood, and thankfully the Fizz who had picked mid earlier went bot lane to support.

That support Fizz did like 5 times better than the mid Fizz from the previous game. Aatrox ended up getting fed enough that we won in teamfights, and the game momentum shifted at a key point when the other team pulled a Kiunch (tm), tried baron, and didn't quite finish baron before they were killed or driven out.

So even with ragers, games can be turned around. I sure am sick of seeing Ahri every other game, though.

get better
Does it explain why I gained 14 LP after losing several in a row, but only gained 5-9 after winning some more again? Does the magnitude of change for bigger swings if your MMR goes on a streak, either positive or negative?

Boken

Banned
Does it explain why I gained 14 LP after losing several in a row, but only gained 5-9 after winning some more again? Does the magnitude of change for bigger swings if your MMR goes on a streak, either positive or negative?

you mean you won 14lp after the nami game and then 9 in the subsequent 6-2-26 sejuani game?

Blizzard

Banned
you mean you won 14lp after the nami game and then 9 in the subsequent 6-2-26 sejuani game?
I think that was it, yes. On my winning streak, I was consistently getting maybe 4 LP per game. A loss or two were 4 LP per game. Then with more losses, the LP loss quickly grew, 5/7/9/11. Then a win was immediately +14, then +9, then down to like +7 again. So I think there's something weird that happens either with streaks, or as you approach the bottom of tier 1, not sure.

If I'm annoying anyone with the math spam please PM me or something and I'll stop. I think it's sort of interesting, but I haven't been keeping good enough number on LP gain to really provide better data.

Boken

Banned
I think that was it, yes. On my winning streak, I was consistently getting maybe 4 LP per game. A loss or two were 4 LP per game. Then with more losses, the LP loss quickly grew, 5/7/9/11. Then a win was immediately +14, then +9, then down to like +7 again. So I think there's something weird that happens either with streaks, or as you approach the bottom of tier 1, not sure.

If I'm annoying anyone with the math spam please PM me or something and I'll stop. I think it's sort of interesting, but I haven't been keeping good enough number on LP gain to really provide better data.

basically -

winstreak: near 80 LP - Clamping, but your MMR was still rising.
Losing streak - high MMR so low losses - then the losses increased as your MMR decreased
win again - you were low LP in div 1 - no clamping, mmr was still decent due to winstreak so you gain 14 - then you start clamping + your mmr isnt that good in comparision to your current position cos of loss streak so it goes to 9 then 7

Blizzard

Banned
basically -

winstreak: near 80 LP - Clamping, but your MMR was still rising.
Losing streak - high MMR so low losses - then the losses increased as your MMR decreased
win again - you were low LP in div 1 - no clamping, mmr was still decent due to winstreak so you gain 14 - then you start clamping + your mmr isnt that good in comparision to your current position cos of loss streak so it goes to 9 then 7
Most of that would make sense, except all of the 4-7 LP gains early during the win streaks were from 0 to 50 LP, not 80. I don't think I ever got over like 54 LP in silver 1. I'm pretty sure the gains instantly dropped to 7 or less when I went through the promotion series.

Boken

Banned
Most of that would make sense, except all of the 4-7 LP gains early during the win streaks were from 0 to 50 LP, not 80. I don't think I ever got over like 54 LP in silver 1. I'm pretty sure the gains instantly dropped to 7 or less when I went through the promotion series.

then that just means that you were "stretching your LP" - your silver 1 position was better than your current MMR, so them gains were really bad. - but the winstreak helped boost the MMR

then the rest is the same -
Losing streak - high MMR so low lp losses - then the losses increased as your MMR decreased

Ferga

Well I had my first real diamond game (minus me and one other), ranging from diamond 4 to 1.

Jungler ganks top, kills the top laner then taxes 4 waves.

Top laner goes jungle and jungle becomes our official top lane. Our new jungler can't do any buffs because he has no items or smite so he comes to my bot and takes 4 waves, screwing me over.

I die a couple of a times, we all laugh then somehow we win mid game and I get over 10kills in under 20minutes.

We then try go to baron, get it to 2000hp then we all run and let the enemy lee smite steal it and run away.

We wait it out and then we win.

I'm so confused on what just happened. I had no idea what team had a lead in any part of the game. There were some crazy turret dives, an awesome xerath player and some great map control. Fun too.

Is this what elo heaven is?

Kenai

Ultimate truth. Now I need to learn top since more and more people are either duoing to help friends or just other support mains in general.

I've been trying to do this as well, I've been getting top a LOT and am not really sure who to play. Teemo is ok since, he counters a ton of the popular picks at my elo (i RUINED a Jax not long ago, and a Garen, and even an Aatrox), I can play super safe and get to "ward" but I want to learn other champs. I know as soon as someone picks a decent ranged champ vs my Teemo I am going to crumple like wet newspaper.

Playing in a small local tournament with some friends and we played against what we knew would be our hardest opponents last night. Lost 2/0, and honestly the games weren't the worst we've played, but I raged so hard. I don't think even ranked has ever been that bad. Half the time I was furious with myself for various mistakes, the other half I just wanted to blame others, but I knew I was the weak link in the first place. I know most of my posts here come under the heading of 'I'm bad and I'm angry with myself about it' but god damn, last night was something else.

We're playing again tonight, and I can't even take a break because our supposed sub is no longer interested. The team are hopefully not going to be as difficult (or well-practiced) as last night's opponents, but as far as I can see that only means losing to them will be more humiliating.

I kinda hope we get knocked out. :/

Type2

Man I would really like to be part of a ranked 5's team.
Edit: I'll help out boken. I'm at work right now so maybe later in the day.

Ok let me ask in a different way, anybody wanna help me with writing a new player guide!?

I'd love to, but the question is am I competent enough to write this stuff?

Man I would really like to be part of a ranked 5's team.
Edit: I'll help out boken. I'm at work right now so maybe later in the day.

It's really not as good as it sounds. You can start to really dislike your friends. :/ Let's just say I'm glad that I don't work as a pro gamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom