• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends World Championships 2015 |OCT 1-OCT 31|

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
that was such a lame end, that was horrible from AHQ, especially after how well they did that last game getting serious pressure on SKT

JesseZao

16 champ requirement for rank is already a tall task considering you need to buy runes too. Increasing them to 5 would mean 4 more additional champs.

ARAM is the most boring game mode. I'm talking about a multi-lane map "normal" game with the early action that HotS is built for.

16 champ requirement for rank is already a tall task considering you need to buy runes too. Increasing them to 5 would mean 4 more additional champs.

At the very least, tournaments could have extra bans.

At the very least, tournaments could have extra bans.
Tournaments are the big reason against more bans. That just means an extra ban teams can target enemies with, why worry about giving up Lulu over giving something like Kalista to a player like Niels when you can just ban both

JesseZao

Tournaments are the big reason against more bans. That just means an extra ban teams can target enemies with, why worry about giving up Lulu over giving something like Kalista to a player like Niels when you can just ban both

It's a fine line for sure. I just feel it's at a tipping point.

Edwardo

It could force players to expand their champion pools.

Setsuna

I dont see why people are aganist more bans

The game started with like 40 champions and 6 bans. Now we have 130 something champions and still 6 bans

JesseZao

The game started with like 40 champions and 6 bans. Now we have 130 something champions and still 6 bans

It was 2 bans each until season 2/3 I think.

Dominion. It's fast and fun and just look at how popular it is.

I like some dominion, but I only really enjoy League with ranked (if solo). I'm fine if they don't attempt to emulate the new approach of HotS, since I can just play HotS.

Eh, the game is more about making creative team comps than "forcing players to play more champions".

I can't imagine giving a team the chance to ban one role's 5 champions. Roles are much better defined in League than other games.

Leezard

Don't spread misinformation. There was no draft mode when there was only 40 champs; there were only blind pick. The first draft mode had 2 bans.

Draft mode came with ranked, after a lot of champs had gotten released. During season 1 there was a champ released every 2 or 3 weeks.

I don't really have a strong opinion on whether bans should be increased or not, but let's stick to the facts.

Setsuna

Don't spread misinformation. There was no draft mode when there was only 40 champs; there were only blind pick. The first draft mode had 2 bans.

Draft mode came with ranked, after a lot of champs had gotten released. During season 1 there was a champ released every 2 or 3 weeks.

I don't really have a strong opinion on whether bans should be increased or not, but let's stick to the facts.

Whatever either way when season 1 championship happened there was around 40or 50 champions 6 bans

The amount of champions in this game has doubled or tripled and there are still 6 bans

Eh, the game is more about making creative team comps than "forcing players to play more champions".

I can't imagine giving a team the chance to ban one role's 5 champions. Roles are much better defined in League than other games.

Team comps arent to creative when its the same champions banned or picked every game

Leezard

Whatever either way when season 1 championship happened there was around 40or 50 champions 6 bans

The amount of champions in this game has doubled or tripled and there are still 6 bans

Nope. There were 40 champs at launch. There was half a year or so between launch and season 1, during the time of which champs were released. Looking at the timeline, there was 13 champs released between the time of launch and season 1 start.

There was released 28 champs during season 1.

There's just no way what you are saying is true. There was around 75-80 champs during Season 1 finals. You're off by 30-40 champs, and that's misinformation.

Stiler

I can't believe that last AHQ play.

They were putting serious pressure on SKT and actually giving them some competition, then instead of waiting for fifth dragon or rushing baron when fiora was down, they wait a little bit and then try to do it when he can tp in and threw the entire game.

Setsuna

Stiler

They used to release new champions on a two week schedule or so.

Two champions per month, 24 champions a year.

They have drastically slowed that down by now, lucky to get 1 in two months.

That would only hold any ground if all 120+ champions were used in competitive play, instead we get around 70.

Increasing bans will just make the game more boring to watch.

faridmon

Yeah, Tahm and Ekoo feels like they were released ages ago.

Type2

I really miss the days where soaz would play some random bullshit too laner and win. I hope if Origen get 3-0d they at least bring the cheese. Good lord if xpeke can only play ori,vlad and anivia they are doomed.

Props to ahq, I thought they were better than expected.

They've been making more quality champions that are better for pro-play rather than throwaways like Quinn or Aatrox.
Bard, Kench, and Ekko have a ton of potential for high skill play.

Also, they've been focusing on reworking a lot of champs so they're actually contested.
Yeah, Tahm Kench may have been the last champion implemented in July, but around that time, they reworked Fiora, GP, Skarner, Garen, Darius, Mordekaiser.

They should learn more champions then. 6 bans for over 100 characters is stupid.

That 3rd game felt like SKT was like fuck it we just gonna go yolo for funsie.

Not really. It's pretty standard.

Fiora gets counterpicked by Darius, but master class Marin makes it even quite a number of times.
Bengi gets Elise.
Bang falls back on Trist when Kalista is taken, and Wolf goes to Tahm Kench as a Thresh counter.

The only thing people might wonder about is Kassadin into Fizz, which looked like a bad match up for Kassadin, but Kassadin is know to be a strong roaming assassin with late scaling.

Faker has always been playing insurance champs most of the time so that if top and bot do fall behind, his late scaling could do go downtown.

Let's not forget the importance of Aatrox in season 3 worlds. The last time Fnatic got to a worlds semi-final a lot of it was off the back of Cyanide's jungle Aatrox, a pick that Eastern teams were not at all used to. It was also popular top, and even in early season 4 teams were still banning it against top laners like Fredy who were awesome on the champion.

Aatrox brings some inherent game health issues when he's good though. He definitely was not a throwaway champion. He is also still one of the coolest champions visually and from a VO perspective.

They should learn more champions then. 6 bans for over 100 characters is stupid.
You are not going to ban out any decent player, just what they're best at. Drafting properly is an extremely important skill in competitive play, if you want to do targeted bans that's fine but there needs to be pros and cons. Adding more bans just removes the cons because now you get to have your cake and eat it too.

You are not going to ban out any decent player, just what they're best at. Drafting properly is also a very important skill, if you want to do targeted bans that's fine but there needs to be pros and cons. Adding more bans just removes the cons because now you get to have your cake and eat it too.

Alot of times the 'top tier' characters are what is banned. Just add more bans, add more strategy to that. Have a captain mode like DotA where you ban, pick, be able to strategize and be like 'Ok he picked Azir, that's good with this and that, so I'm going to ban that', and in turn makes it more interesting.

6 bans is nothing. Choosing bans before picks is nothing. It's literally worthless as it is right now.

Not really. It's pretty standard.

Fiora gets counterpicked by Darius, but master class Marin makes it even quite a number of times.
Bengi gets Elise.
Bang falls back on Trist when Kalista is taken, and Wolf goes to Tahm Kench as a Thresh counter.

The only thing people might wonder about is Kassadin into Fizz, which looked like a bad match up for Kassadin, but Kassadin is know to be a strong roaming assassin with late scaling.

Faker has always been playing insurance champs most of the time so that if top and bot do fall behind, his late scaling could do go downtown.

I don't mean by picks I meant like how they played. Like Faker teleporting bot lane at level 3 lose a shit ton of exp and let Fizz get the level advantage on him. Then when Fizz gets the level advantage he still played unsafe as hell knowing that Fizz has iginte to his TP..

Marin got solo killed a few times too which is understandable it's Darius, but on some of them Darius got the jumped and good trade yet Marin still went all in. I'm assuming he was full of himself thinking he can win because of a good Riposte, but is hardly in his favor since it had to be perfect. He did do it once where he Riposte Darius ult and barley lived but man I think Marin was a little too cocky there.

Plus like you said there was no wave clear on AHQ side and they have trist. They could of just build a wave clear/siege comp and watch AHQ struggle.

I mean they dismantled them in that game #2.

Increasing the number of bans doesn't solve the problem with top tier picks, it just exarcebates it. Those champs will still get banned, but now you also get to ruin comps for free. Riot needs to be a bit more aggressive with balance changes so you don't have stuff like Kalista eating up bans for months, not increase the number of bans.

That said I do think Dota2 drafting could be beneficial for league.

Fiora gets counterpicked by Darius, but master class Marin makes it even quite a number

Fiora does not get counterpicked by Darius.

She actually has a pretty decent win ratio vs Darius in solo queue at high elos. MaRin just made some silly misplays in that game (diving a low health Darius with his Q up and wasting Riposte)

to add to this, MaRin's thoughts on the matchup:

"There's not really an advantage [between Fiora and Darius] -- like a clear advantage from one to another -- they're kind of similar in that regard," MaRin says. "But for Fiora, she can get a lot stronger based on the items she chooses." He clarifies later, "That's why I picked Fiora, because I think Fiora has more advantage based on the item buffs."

"Fiora and Darius are both champions that have a lot of offensive skills," MaRin explains. "When faced in a one-on-one match, for split pushing, towers are gone early on. Fiora has a much better advantage because of her health regeneration. When we're in a one-on-one fight, Darius needs to hug a tower a little bit. Without a tower, it's an advantage for Fiora and she can kill Darius."

MaRin explains that part of the reason for his deaths were because he had to fight under Ziv's tower a lot, and also because he chose more team fight-centric itemization. "I went a lot of magic resistance items," he clarifies. "That's one of the reasons I couldn't kill Darius as much as I wanted to."

Increasing the number of bans doesn't solve the problem with top tier picks, it just exarcebates it. Those champs will still get banned, but now you also get to ruin comps for free. Riot needs to be a bit more aggressive with balance changes so you don't have stuff like Kalista eating up bans for months, not increase the number of bans.

That said I do think Dota2 drafting could be beneficial for league.

Either comps would be ruined, or people would start testing new comps instead of the tried and true. Either way something has to be done, because it's ridiculous at this point.

poshclown

Neo Member
My favourite sign at worlds so far

sWFhUvn.jpg

Fiora does not get counterpicked by Darius.

She actually has a pretty decent win ratio vs Darius in solo queue at high elos. MaRin just made some silly misplays in that game (diving a low health Darius with his Q up and wasting Riposte)

No, Darius completely beasts Fiora as a much insane bruiser.
Sure, Fiora can riposte like once. Then get insanely monstered by dunks, apprehend, and all that.

The only person that has successfully beaten Darius with Fiora at Worlds is Marin.
Marin had to use his ult as much as possible to get even trades with Ziv, and rendered him useless for TP play a lot of the time.

If Marin had to choose, he would pick Renekton all the time against Darius. Both Darius picks were counterpicks.

No, Darius completely beasts Fiora as a much insane bruiser.
Sure, Fiora can riposte like once. Then get insanely monstered by dunks, apprehend, and all that.

The only person that has successfully beaten Darius with Fiora at Worlds is Marin.
Marin had to use his ult as much as possible to get even trades with Ziv, and rendered him useless for TP play a lot of the time.

This is patently untrue.

I mean, I've literally pasted quotes from MaRin himself talking about how even the matchup is with Fiora winning more late game. Win ratios also prove my point.

How many times if at all have you played the matchup?

This is patently untrue.

I mean, I've literally pasted quotes from MaRin himself talking about how even the matchup is with Fiora winning more late game. Win ratios also prove my point.

How many times if at all have you played the matchup?

If Smeb's Darius went up against Marin, SKT would be losing top.

Did you not watch the game? Did you not see Fiora getting solo killed in both games?
You could take a completely dumb player to go against a Fiora with Darius, but you need a really skilled player that can watch animations and use riposte timely to get an even trade, and even with Marin's skill, he missed riposte a few times getting him killed.

Maybe you should read MaRin's quotes again. And again, win rates suggest otherwise. It's a pretty even matchup with Fiora scaling better in the late game.

Again, MaRin did a lot of dumb dives, and even still he was consistently driving Darius back.

In regards to his ult, with 40% CDR it's on like a 40s cooldown. He can keep using it to drive Darius out of lane as much as he wants.

I dunno dude, you're just showing a fundamental lack of understanding in terms of how the matchup works.

Top Bottom