• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lebron James Ethers Charles Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I can't wait for Lebron James Shut and Jam Gaiden

The new wielder of the dreaded and legendary Chaos Dunk has arrived!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Whatever encourages the phone calls to be made means LBJ played his cards right. It's not about what you feel the correct way of doing things is; it's about getting shit done. If LBJ believes the front office isn't hustling on this issue and that him strategically voicing his concerns to the media will further motivate the powers that be to make one extra phone call that night, it was WORTH. Welcome to politics 101.

I don't see the problem at all. These are grown ass men, not kids. All highly paid, I might add.

More than 50% of fans don't like the athletes having this kind of power, because they personally don't have that kind of power at their own jobs.

Most people are jealous when they see someone like Lebron using his leverage and power so openly. Makes them feel small and useless.

And while analyzing personalities, sometimes people like Chuck need to be "checked" every once and awhile. Don't live in your glass house throwing stones.

I guess, Lebron just picked the exact wrong thing to start complaining about since he absolutely looks like a prima donna in this GM situation and making it public.
It really isnt. Its mostly baseless drivel. Bro-phsycology ia probably the worse thing to develop in sports broadcasting. I dont know why every tom dick and harry wants to now pretend like they actually know how people they never meet think but its corny to the nth degree. People should stick to reading box scores.
That would probably get a lot less people to watch.

BadAss2961

He was wrong when he said Lebron doesn't want to compete for a championship. Do you watch NBA basketball?
He pouts when he doesn't have an edge on the competition. That's what Chuck means when he says that.

He doesn't literally mean that LeBron doesn't want to compete or that he'll rage quit in the middle of the season or something. He's questioning LeBron's competitive will since he gets all whiny about needing help whenever the chips are down.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
How the fuck is anyone still going after LeBron after last year's finals? Lol, people are delusional with hate. He stamped out my team in what was probably the only finals appearance they'll ever get. I hated that dude for years but, after last year, if I ever see him in person I'll probably bow.

Dre3001

The same ex player who takes shots at LeBron's hairline on national television? The same ex player who says the Warriors play like girls? This is the guy who should be exempt from cheap shots?

There is a clear difference in calling someone out for a bad hairline and saying they have unpaid debt from gambling.

NandoGip

Charles Barkley Hold this

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

The same ex player who takes shots at LeBron's hairline on national television? The same ex player who says the Warriors play like girls? This is the guy who should be exempt from cheap shots?

Yes! He's been doing this for over 20 years. He's jokes about his hairline and Shaq's and Kenny's all the time too. He didn't question what type of human being Lebron is.

Derwind

For as much well deserved criticism I've & others thrown towards LBJ over the years, there is no denying he is building a legacy and long after people forget Barkley's name LeBron will still be someone the city of Cleveland and the world will remember.

Yes! He's been doing this for over 20 years. He's jokes about his hairline and Shaq's and Kenny's all the time too. He didn't question what type of human being Lebron is.

At the end of the day it's al the same, getting clowned on over something you are probably insecure about. The effect is the same. Let's not act like Chuck takes the high road. He's a buffoon and he's getting a taste of his own medicine.

Dre3001

I agree. Robert Horry has more rings than Jordan, Kareem, and Magic, but obviously is not 1/4 the player that they are. Rings are great, but with basketball players and QBs there is too much focus on winning it all, which in a team sport is not something that an individual player has ultimate control over.

Exactly, clearly Horry and his 7 rings means he should be on primetime television providing analysis on what it takes to be a "champion" and how he was able to reach that level and did what it takes to win.

qcf x2

Whatever encourages the phone calls to be made means LBJ played his cards right. It's not about what you feel the correct way of doing things is; it's about getting shit done. If LBJ believes the front office isn't hustling on this issue and that him strategically voicing his concerns to the media will further motivate the powers that be to make one extra phone call that night, it was WORTH. Welcome to politics 101.

I don't see the problem at all. These are grown ass men, not kids. All highly paid, I might add.

And whatever means you use can be freely criticized, with the less tactful means likely to draw more negative reactions. Welcome to remedial politics.

Stop wondering. He agreed to a 3 year deal in the offseason.

As for the vibe, he wants to keep winning. Yes, the Cavs re-signed all the players LeBron wanted. Thompson and JR Smith got paid. Shumpert, too. In the meanwhile, they lost front court depth with Mozgov and backcourt depth with Delly and Mo Williams (whose retirement was apparently not expected). It is therefore fair to an extent to say that this is LeBron's chosen roster, but it's not completely fair to lay it all on him.

They have an open roster spot, and they have holes to fill. Yes, they're over the cap, but they have trade exceptions. It's not unreasonable for a player, particularly one of LeBron's stature, to say "plug the holes," and the luxury tax isn't his problem.

I'm going to side against Barkley on this one. He's still my favorite "analyst," though.

He obviously discussed it w/ ownership and the GM before going public. He should've left it at that as a professional, the rest isn't necessary. He's Lebron, it's not like they won't try to bend to his will regardless of cost or even rationality. And it matters less how much he built the roster, he knows who is on it and what the cap space looks like, it's not like teams are lining up to do the Cavs a favor, you know what I mean?

Fjordson

Chuck sucks, good for Lebron.

Can't wait until he's off TNT. He actively makes basketball fans dumber and is awful at his job.

Huh. Chuck questions guys all the time personally about their "heart" and other vague bullshit. He called Lebron going to Miami a "punk move". Chuck is a douche who loves taking shots at players.

Fjordson

I really hate how popular Chuck and the stupid TNT show has gotten with fans. Especially Chuck. He's dumb as fuck, peddles shitty respectability politics and knows little about the current game. Dude openly admits he doesn't watch most games. He can't go away fast enough.

What part of brining up his gambling issue calls out Chucks analysis?

The part where they march the TNT crew around and have them speak on social issues from time to time? The part where they get on TV and just talk mad shit about teams and players?

It wasnt even long ago where Chuck implied the portion of America that voted for Trump are idiots and Kenny was smart enough to side step. Barkley is dumb as fuck and all the parading the TNT crew does and calling out of personalities and shit, they are free to be personally roasted.

Ashhong

More than 50% of fans don't like the athletes having this kind of power, because they personally don't have that kind of power at their own jobs.

Most people are jealous when they see someone like Lebron using his leverage and power so openly. Makes them feel small and useless.

By most do you mean you? I don't know anyone who thinks this way

A ball hog who harmed his team for the last five seasons will never be LeBron. LeBron is a far better team basketball player then Kobe ever was. Kobe was a better pure scorer, LeBron is a better player.

Kobes not even a better scorer. LeBron scores as well as Kobe but in a much more efficient manner. Kobe is one of my favorite players ever but LeBron is simply better.

Lebron didn't ether Charles.

Lebron made a fool of himself and proved Barkley right.

Barkley said Lebron is a good guy and a great player but was acting whiny and spoiled concerning basketball. James lashed out like a whiny and spoiled child period, going way personal instead of countering what Barkley said about basketball, his competitiveness, and begging for more good players.

Lebron showed mad weakness there. You a champ, you rich, and still the best player. Why respond like that? Didn't even need to respond at all really.

I agree with the other poster, there's a line between attacking a personal gambling issue and a hairline.

When you know somone doesn't actually have a retort ...

I guess I just don't see that line. They both have the same intentions, to hit someone below the belt over a potential insecurity.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Honestly shit just ain't been the same with Barkley since the Chaos Dunk. Sad to see LeBron side with the BBRD though

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Kobes not even a better scorer. LeBron scores as well as Kobe but in a much more efficient manner. Kobe is one of my favorite players ever but LeBron is simply better.

It's silly to compare them like that because of the vast differences in teams and coaches they had. I feel pretty confident in saying that Kobe would be a more efficient scorer if he played on teams like the Wade/Bosh Heat or Irving/Love Cavs. Can't ignore Kobe's insane shot selection at times though :) How I miss the Mamba.

I agree with the other poster, there's a line between attacking a personal gambling issue and a hairline.

I agree but let's not pretend or suppose to make Chuck a victim. If you keep flicking someone's ear and they finally turn around and slap you in the fucking face, you don't really have anyone to blame but yourself.

Charles out there questioning people's integrity, respect for the game and quality as one of the faces of the NBA. Charles is out there shooting cannon balls in a glass house. When people aren't self-checked, sometimes you have to check them. This has been a LONG TIME coming for Chuck. There are probably 30 different players that should have slapped him back including LeBron who hasn't responded to Chuck's antics for some 15 years. Meanwhile Chuck has made his career off of being controversial and picking on current players so I'm sure he'll be fine. Considering LBJ has never had off the court issues, rarely gets Techs, doesn't kick people in the dick, doesn't get in fights, has a few rings...it just seems like questioning his character might trigger anyone.

It'd be like Stacey Dash questioning someone's blackness.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't really care about him being an a-hole. I, like most people believe he is doing his job. If Charles was attacking Lebron personally he would've called out His mother for being a Mookie Monster.

Except that's his mom's personal life and not Lebron. Why are you attributing what his mom did to him? Male privilege much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom