• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

Oh fuck. Where is it anyway? Is it possible to do it without it?
It's possible, but it's not going to be easy. It's probably best to turn back and grab it from
a bag on the second or third floor
. It won't take that long to backtrack now that you've killed all the enemies in your path.

This is the first dungeon crawler I've ever played. Took a bit of time to get used to the controls and mechanics, but I've been enjoying the mixture of puzzles, combat, and leveling up. However, the game really feels too long. I'm in the prison and I am really ready for it to be over soon. A lot of the late game enemy encounters are fairly stressful. Survival is dependent on nimble feet, a watchful eye, occasional backtracking to lure enemies into your kill rooms one by one, and sometimes running away from areas with respawning enemies. Rooms that combine puzzles and enemies are in the same spaces are particularly stressing me out. That said, I love the presentation: from the inventory to the leveling up to the minimal storyline it is perfect for a game like this. Some of the puzzles are slightly irritating; occasionally I will understand how to solve the puzzle, but due certain basic things being unclear I will fail at solving it (for example, a puzzle where you must move through a room in a certain pattern; I may correctly derive the pattern from the cryptic clue, but I may not know exactly where to start). Other puzzles annoy me because they are dependent on you having a particular item: one required a skull, which I had used as a weight to solve an earlier puzzle. I had to backtrack to pick it up. Still, the puzzles are probably the highlight for me. It's definitely worth the 3.75 I paid for it, but I suspect this will be the last dungeon crawler I shall ever play.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I was reluctant to buy this game for the longest time, since to me, nothing could ever top FTL's masterpiece. However, due to steam's summer sale and selling Grimrock for $5.99, I caved in. And boy, am I glad I did!!!

I have only played Grimrock starting today, and only for about 20 minutes so far and I'm still only on level 1, but I have to say, this is a FANTASTIC homage to DM!!! I mean, my first impressions are that this is what a TRUE Dungeon Master sequel should be!!! Almost Human Games fucking NAILED the atmosphere, gameplay, graphics, and sounds! My God...this is a dream come true for DM fans. I'd always considered DM Java to be a nice psuedo-upgrade to DM, but this is DM truly taken to the next generation! It literally feels like something worthy of the name "Dungeon Master 2012"! Very very cool!

Anyway these are just my first impressions of the game having only messed around with it for a few minutes. I'm mainly just in awe of how they've managed to make Grimrock feel faithful to the original DM, while giving it that next-gen flavor.

Almost Human Games....My hat's off to you! Great job guys :D

Sentenza

There were rumors about EA offering these guys a chance to work on the next Ultima Underworld. I heard they refused, by the way.
Do you guys know anything more specific about it?

God, I would kill for a proper Ultima Underworld spiritual successor with some competent dungeon design.

Thrakier

I'm about to loose fun in level 9. There are way too many of those fucking dinsoaurs. Who thought that this is fun? Are they respawning? I need like five minutes to kill one and the next one is already there.

Also what was up with Stage 8. Found a secret there but that's about it.

I'm about to loose fun in level 9. There are way too many of those fucking dinsoaurs. Who thought that this is fun? Are they respawning? I need like five minutes to kill one and the next one is already there.

Did you have an Ice Mage? If so, fucks you right good, don't they?

I found that after I had killed 3 - 4 of them by luring them back in the armory and shutting the door, none would respaw for a little while (or there would only be a couple raptors as opposed to 5 - 6 roaming about).

I think I've given up on the game at the beginning of chapter 12. Too stressful, largely because I haven't leveled up my dudes properly. Love the puzzles, but the combat gets really repetitive after 10 hours of playing. Still worth the 3.75 I paid, though.

There's two spawn points for them which to your perspective entering this area from the trippy hall is left far corner and right far corner (they'll be filled with bones and gore). Fun thing is, they'll not respawn when you're in those rooms, plus if you clear out a side, the ones spawning from the other side will very rarely come to the other side. Plus, they don't respawn quickly at all. There's just ALOT at the beginning (7-ish), and they love hitting from the side.
They're also a valuable resource...

Thrakier

There's two spawn points for them which to your perspective entering this area from the trippy hall is left far corner and right far corner (they'll be filled with bones and gore). Fun thing is, they'll not respawn when you're in those rooms, plus if you clear out a side, the ones spawning from the other side will very rarely come to the other side. Plus, they don't respawn quickly at all. There's just ALOT at the beginning (7-ish), and they love hitting from the side.
They're also a valuable resource...

Well, I can't get through it, they are always cornering me. I already killed like 12 or 15 of those fuckers, but still. Fun is out, now. :( They really overdid it with the fighting now.

I'm really enjoying the puzzles here, but I really need to calibrate my eyes to catch hidden bricks. I swear, I've had multiple times where I've stared directly at a wall, and missed either a corner switch or the big switches. I used guides for the first 2 levels to go back through after I was done to pick up a few missed secrets, so I'm seeing now where I need to look more.

Having fun though, fucking spiders.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Completed the game on hard today, and did the "Fighter's Challenge" as well. Quite challenging. Last boss can be perceived as cheap but once you figure it out he's not that difficult. Everyone should buy this game. NOW.

Ordinator

This game is fantastic. I've never played any old school pc rpg's or dungeon crawlers (I was a console gamer growing up) and this is showing me what I missed out on. Having an absolute blast. I've been trying to take my time but sometimes I find myself rushing a bit, I think out of excitement.

Really digging the non-human races with their exclusive bonuses but man, I need my elves. I would really like to see more races added to the game. There doesn't even need to be many portraits. That would add a lot for me.

Thrakier

Well, who did actually finish the game? I think I'm at 10 now and it really becoms more and more frustrating. They just throw so many enemies at you, 3 trolls at once and one part. Is it a fighting simulation or what? The balanicng is totally off. I'd really like to finish it but that's highly annoying. Is it worth pushing through it?

The game was definitely challenging towards the end, but I powered through. It always feels satisfying to reach the final goal. However, if you're not having fun you might as well play something else.

Sentenza

Well, who did actually finish the game?
Twice. At the hardest setting.
I think I'm at 10 now and it really becoms more and more frustrating.
No, it doesn't.
They just throw so many enemies at you
No, they don't.
Is it a fighting simulation or what?
No, it isn't.
If anything the game feels more like a puzzle focused on exploration and hunting of secrets, with some combat added here and there just ofr the sake of variety.

The balanicng is totally off.
That's arguable. Classes are very uneven in their efficiency in combat and some schools of magic are clearly more useful than others, plus the class system is oversimplified and lacks variety, but I've the feeling that's not what you are referring to, so you're probably wrong on this point, too.
If what you're trying to say it's that the game is too much challenging or too easy, you're wrong.

It's almost like you are not even playing this thing and complaining just for the sake of it.

I'd really like to finish it but that's highly annoying. Is it worth pushing through it?
If it's boring for you, just quit it. What do you expect, exactly? People to beg you to go on?

Thrakier

Are you even serious? So you are arguing that they don't throw four times as many enemies at you int he last levels compared to the previous 9 stages? The part where I am there are three trolls next to each other with some saurians inbetween and then you fall down and there are like 5 or more slimes. That's *not* "some combat added here and there", it's pretty combat heavy. I agree with your statement for the first stages but not in the last ones and that is my complaint.

Asking on GAF for reasons to go on with a game is common. SInce you are on GAF quite some time now, you should know it. I'm not asking anyone to "beg me to go on". That statement is hilarious. Why are you so harsh and insulting? It's almost like you made the game and even then...

Sentenza

Are you even serious?
Yes, I am.

So you are arguing that they don't throw four times as many enemies at you int he last levels compared to the previous 9 stages?
No, they don't. There is a finite (and very self-contained) numer of enemies in the whole game, beside a bunch of spots where they occasionally respawn.
As I already said, you need just to not spend HOURS wandering in these spots and you will deal with a minimal amount of combat.
Like the "ice raptor area" at level 9. I've cleaned it killing something like 6-7 raptors at most, then eventually crossed another of them every time I was back in that area. And yet in a previous post you described it like if you went on for hours killing them, which is very unlikely.

The part where I am there are three trolls next to each other with some saurians inbetween and then you fall down and there are like 5 or more slimes.
That's *not* "some combat added here and there"
Yeah, it actually sounds like a SINGLE, UNIQUE battle to me, which is even less than "some combat".
Beside, I finished this game twice and I can't say I remember this overcrowded battle you are talking about.
The most challenging part of the whole game was the Warrior challenge, and even that was just about planning ahead and flawless execution.

Why are you so harsh and insulting? It's almost like you made the game and even then...
"Insulting" sounds quite hyperbolic.
And yeah, I'm not trying to be nice, that's for sure, and the reasons is that I find those overblown complaints ridiculous.
If they were at least paired with actual flaws in the design... But they aren't.
You are taking a game that's extremely puzzle-centric, light and quite simple on combat side and very well designed and painting it like a unbalanced slaughterhouse with hours of hacking and slashing.

Thrakier

Well, I guess you'll just have to accept that I feel completly different about some of those points. :) There is no sense in any further discussion.

I have a feeling that I'm diversifying my rogue into the ground at this point. I have points in Assassin, thrown weapons, and missile weapons, because I wanted to see what was good early on, but now he's kind of a mess (8 in assination, 4 in thrown, 4 in missile) any suggestions on where I should focus? I'm leaning towards getting the "assination from back" and give him a a dagger and thrown weapons right now so he can attack from range, or jump forward for backstabs.

xzoowy

Well, who did actually finish the game? I think I'm at 10 now and it really becoms more and more frustrating. They just throw so many enemies at you, 3 trolls at once and one part. Is it a fighting simulation or what? The balanicng is totally off. I'd really like to finish it but that's highly annoying. Is it worth pushing through it?

The game really seems to punish you if you distribute your skill points in many different categories(doing jack of all trades characters), as you probably never(or very late) reach the good weapon abilities, which are essential to do good damage, which makes the combat much less tedious.

Once Ive reached Sword lvl 33(Flurry of Slashes), Missle lvl32(Volley), Mace lvl33(Devastating Blow) the game just became much more easier. Until then the fights will just seem to last forever.

Ive went Light Armor(Chitin set) for my Sword fighter and Heavy Armor for my Mace fighter.

Do you have the "The Dismantler" sword, if not you might want to backtrack to floor 8 and find it, its a real lifesaver.

Personnaly, I found the final floors 11-12-13 quite dissapointing compared to the rest of the game.

Thrakier

I do think I have the strongest sword and the strongest axe (can't use it yet). And tell me what you want, imo the game gets MUCH more combat focussed from level 9 on. I'm not at the prison and there are tons of enemies. They even introduce a new enemy, throw two of them at you and then add two of those magicicans. And the fighting isn't even that much fun, although I get that they try to resemble a thing of the past. But maybe there are reasons that it's a thing of the past.

Atmosphere and graphics are amazing in this game and that keeps me going. I'd just wished they would've kept the pacing of the first few stages. Less enemies, which are more frightening, are much better then throwing a whole army at you every five steps or so. I'll finish it anywy now, I'm almost done. It's probably a B or B- with potential for an straight A with some modifications.

I finally beat this game a few days ago.

The gameplay is pretty basic, but effective. I used magic users in the background and a fighter and assassin(?) in the front. You will need to learn your enemies movements, so you may exploit them. For instance, a
troll
is slow and can swing HARD if your at it's side. And if you are in front of him from a distance he will try to sprint tackle you. So you must find your way around after his sprint and get behind him to do some decent damage (assuming you have backstabbing). Or you can just launch magic missiles at him. There are some tough enemies in this game, but it feels gratifying once you take them down. By the time I got towards the 10th floor though I started to get annoyed by how much enemies were on you, and in certain rooms (for good or bad) they kept respawning and I just wanted to solve what to do next....very intrusive you
blue dino bastards!!

By the end of the game I was ready for it to be over. Not necessarily saying it's a bad game because it is far from it, but I felt that towards the end they focused way too on trial and error. (Last "boss" spoilers)
The last boss was toouuugh. Not mainly because of the boss itself but the floor and the enemies made it extremely annoying. Missed your step? You have fallen. Surrounded by enemies? Squish. You are dead. I find it funny now, but I wasn't laughing at the time. lol Once you figure out what to do then it becomes somewhat easier, but still didn't feel like it was truly a "boss" per say.

Overall, I did enjoy the game for what it was. The atmosphere was great, and gameplay was simple yet fun. I would highly recommend this game if you enjoy a challenge and RPG's. If not, then stay clear from this bad boy.

Thrakier

Finished it. Would rate it a 7 with tendency to 8. If there is something like a sucessor I'd wish for:

- better combat mechanics (I know, nostalgia and all, but still)
- more riddle diversity, less relying on same looking switches
- less combat, especially in the last stages
- maybe just a tiny bit more story interaction and some NPC

Overall, they have a solid foundation with great graphics and atmosphere. I think those guys are good, just not perfect yet.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
The dungeon editor is now in internal beta!

antti said:
Oh, and about the dungeon editor: we’ve reached internal beta! All the features and functionality is done, now all it needs is just a little bit of polishing and bug fixing and then we can unleash it into the wild. We’re getting close to the finish line, folks!

The devs made a drum machine in the game using the scripting engine. Each floor plate triggers a different sample.

Also, custom dungeon graphics...

antti said:
The dungeon editor is also progressing well. I know there’s a lot of folks out there who have been asking if using custom assets, like new environment graphics, monsters, sounds, items etc., would be possible and I’m glad to say that we have now solved all remaining issues with those! I’m sure we’ll see a lot of awesome new fan made graphics and other things of immeasurable beauty :) . There’s also a handful of usability improvements like better filtering of the asset list (no more scrolling, yay!) and we think we could call the editor pretty much feature complete. This means that it’s now possible to do everything necessary with the editor to create functional custom dungeons but there’s still a few improvements we want to make and we’ll also have to update the game itself a little so you can load the custom dungeons there. But all in all, we’re very close to the finish line here!

I think a wide release of the editor might mean an OP update and dungeon sharing space.

cj_iwakura

I got the GOG version. Love it so far, totally new way to play one of my favorite genres.
(I'm a JRPG dungeon crawler, get the rakes and torches)

So uh, anyone want to give me a nudge in the right direction for 2F?

I just got to the area with the cells, all three gates are sealed(one has a spear behind it), one has a key lock, no clue where to go.

Just played this for half an hour, got it from the steam sale. Fairly straightforward so far but enjoying it!

I started it on easy but might restart on normal as it's pretty piss easy atm.

Ricker

This is why I didn't want to buy the game but I did this week with the STEAM sale but I am completly stuck in level 2 already lol,playing on normal,I am missing a key to open one last door for that level I think,I see a big blue crystal on the other side.

No more ennemies left,I went back and forth as far as I can 4 times now,no key to be found...I did figure the room that said no weapon allowed,found a few secret rooms but still missing the last key...just before that key,there was another prison cell looking gate and I got the key for that one...there is this corner with a blue warp that lands you in a corridor,with a bunch of prison cells,and on the wall besides them,there's a switch that when I hit it,those cell light up blue,like the warp but it only lasts 2 seconds...I tried the Gamefaq guide but it doesn't help me...any other good FAQ's out there?

cj_iwakura

The GameFAQs guide will get you through that, but just in case

you go down through another area, then back up to get to the other side, then down to 3f for real.

SteveWD40

How are people finding the user made content on Steam? I grabbed it in the sale but am finishing the main story before hitting the workshop. Don't see much discussion about it but there seems to be a lot of high rated custom dungeons...

I am not proud to admit this, but having intended last weekend merely to create a party and play long enough to souse out the game's basic mechanics, I ended up playing a little over eight hours.

Amazing game. It might be one of the best purchases I've made on Steam.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I am not proud to admit this, but having intended last weekend merely to create a party and play long enough to souse out the game's basic mechanics, I ended up playing a little over eight hours.

Amazing game. It might be one of the best purchases I've made on Steam.

Easily my GOTY. It's a shame more people haven't tried it.

Top Bottom