• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

So after trying, and failing, to complete the figurine quest on the original Gamecube version all those years ago, I finally finished it tonight. Feels good man

I just started the game today! First time I've played Wind Waker in like 8 years probably. Feels good.

Question, though.. so I have been taking screenshots using the internet browser on the Wii-U and using abload.de to host them, but they always come out 720p. Isn't this game 1080p? Are the screenshots limited by something? My TV is 1080p.

Anyways, here's some screenshots if anyone cares!

Love Link's expressions in this game:
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01m6usk.jpg

Throwing pigs and chickens - what Zelda is really all about imo:

Lovely scenery:

This kid is still really gross:

Good view:

Grass looks amazing in this game:

Poor Link... :(

Seriously though, I love how expressive Link's face is in this game.. ;_;

Dat Tetra..

Sad times for Link:

Cool lighting:

One of the best looking games ever, imo. :)

D-e-f-

Banned
I just started the game today! First time I've played Wind Waker in like 8 years probably. Feels good.

Question, though.. so I have been taking screenshots using the internet browser on the Wii-U and using abload.de to host them, but they always come out 720p. Isn't this game 1080p? Are the screenshots limited by something? My TV is 1080p.

Wii U browser shots are limited to 720p for any game. No matter the native resolution. Anything you post from the browser will be 720p. A NES game, a SNES game, a 720p game, a 1080p game. All will be posted as 720p.

See thread for screens: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688391

Wind Waker is starting to annoy me. What's the point in having this big open ocean to explore if the game won't let you? I've been to Windfall, beaten the first real dungeon (not including Forsaken Fortress), and it's telling me to go to the next stop. That's fine, but when I try to deviate from the path to go upgrade my wallet and get a bottle, the boat stops you and says "Nope, we can't go there yet!" and it turns around and puts you in the right direction. I really don't remember this in the original, but I assume it was (it's been so long since I have played WW). I'm mainly annoyed because I've been capped at 500 rupees for what feels like forever, and I want to spend it on that bottle that Beedle sells. Srsly, how much longer until the game lets me go wherever the fuck I want? D:

Deku Tree

Wind Waker is starting to annoy me. What's the point in having this big open ocean to explore if the game won't let you? I've been to Windfall, beaten the first real dungeon (not including Forsaken Fortress), and it's telling me to go to the next stop. That's fine, but when I try to deviate from the path to go upgrade my wallet and get a bottle, the boat stops you and says "Nope, we can't go there yet!" and it turns around and puts you in the right direction. I really don't remember this in the original, but I assume it was (it's been so long since I have played WW). I'm mainly annoyed because I've been capped at 500 rupees for what feels like forever, and I want to spend it on that bottle that Beedle sells. Srsly, how much longer until the game lets me go wherever the fuck I want? D:

Not too much longer.

That's only an issue at the beginning of the game.

Man, Wind Waker Link is probably my favorite version of that character. He's so hilarious (sometimes unintentionally). This is the most derpy face ever:

I love it. lol

He makes that face when the little leaf guy starts playing his song - Link starts moving from side to side with the music.

schwupp

i just was totally stuck at the whole fire/ice arrow-two-isle-puzzle - for a few days since i wanted to play this game without any guide help.

but how on earth am i supposed to know that i have to get to mother and child isle or even how to get ballad of gales in the first place?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
i just was totally stuck at the whole fire/ice arrow-two-isle-puzzle - for a few days since i wanted to play this game without any guide help.

but how on earth am i supposed to know that i have to get to mother and child isle or even how to get ballad of gales in the first place?

I want to say one of the fish dudes tell you that something good is there (they might even be more specific, though I can't recall), and another also says that you need to have some kind of weapon to pierce the tornado (or maybe they say that after you get tossed around once, I forget). Something like that :p

Forgive me if this is already posted, but my bro just got the game and it looks like its 60fps. Is it 60fps? Because the movements are waay smoother than they were on the GC. There's no way it's 30fps, surely?

CPCunha

The only thing missing from my 100% run is the heartpiece from hitting Orca 500 times... i'm taking a breaking first and i'll try that shit again later...

I finished the game way back when it came out on GC... loved it to pieces so i decided to do a 100% run with the help of the Prima guide. Holy crap how did anyone managed to get tingle statues without an FAQ?

aceface

Question.... I beat this game years ago and both times I got stuck at the same spot lol...
im trying to get into the sage temples and I realize I have to get bird girl to come with me (I think) so how to I get her over there? I tried playing every song for her and nothing happens

Niraj

Question.... I beat this game years ago and both times I got stuck at the same spot lol...
im trying to get into the sage temples and I realize I have to get bird girl to come with me (I think) so how to I get her over there? I tried playing every song for her and nothing happens

Have you actually gone to the entrance of the dungeon and gotten the appropriate wind waker song (earth god's lyric in this case)?

aceface

Have you actually gone to the entrance of the dungeon and gotten the appropriate wind waker song (earth god's lyric in this case)?

I went there and played it like 3 times! But it didn't give me the "you learned this song" animation. I'm sure I missed something dumb like talking to the wall first or something.

Edit: yep that was it. I'm dumb

Niraj

I went there and played it like 3 times! But it didn't give me the "you learned this song" animation. I'm sure I missed something dumb like talking to the wall first or something.

Edit: yep that was it. I'm dumb

:p Well at least you figured it out.

Niraj

Are selfies able to be uploaded on to Facebook or Tumblr?

I think if you upload the picture to Miiverse, there are a few buttons to upload to Facebook, Tumblr, Google+, and Twitter. Haven't clicked them myself, but I'm assuming that's why they're there.

I think if you upload the picture to Miiverse, there are a few buttons to upload to Facebook, Tumblr, Google+, and Twitter. Haven't clicked them myself, but I'm assuming that's why they're there.

Thanks! Does anyone have any tips for Zee Fleet? I need to beat the record and I can't do it!

Niraj

Thanks! Does anyone have any tips for Zee Fleet? I need to beat the record and I can't do it!

It's just mostly luck. Try to space out your shots so that you can narrow down where the remaining ships are. A lot of times it seems like they like to put two ships right next to each other, so keep that in mind too.

Neiteio

The figure gallery looks so damn good in 1080p, with the lighting and shine and the DOF on the figures in the background. This 720p screen doesn't even do it justice.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01feqoa.jpg
Just saw this. Can someone take more 720p screens of the figurine gallery? Preferably a complete figurine gallery? :)

Neiteio

I'm posting this in the Wind Waker OT, the "selfies" thread, the WiiU browser thread, and the next-gen screenshot thread... because I pulled screens from all four.

A Flickr album compiling the best of Zelda screens on GAF

I apologize for the lack of attribution -- would've been exhausting cataloguing each piece -- but what we have here is a collection of nearly 200 shots (all 720p) from The Wind Waker HD, spanning three pages, making it a great way to appreciate the game's artistry. (I also included a 1080p screen capture of the "legend" at the end, as well as a piece of high-res promo art.)

I'm still adding to the album. If anyone wants to take the following shots in 720p, upload them to abload.de (to avoid compression), and PM me the links, I think they would add nicely to the collection:

• A clear, focused, nicely centered, first-person shot for each of the stained glass portraits of the sages in the room with the Master Sword under Hyrule Castle
  • Full-color shots of Jalhalla (Earth Temple boss) and Molgera (Wind Temple boss)
  • Shots of the various forms of Puppet Ganon
Also feel free to peruse the other sets I assembled. Like TWWHD, the Tropical Freeze album consists of shots by GAF (and me!). The albums for BioShock Infinite, Dark Souls, Sleeping Dogs and Sonic Generations are 100% me.

All beautiful games. If anyone wants to contribute Wind Waker HD shots, feel free to PM me. :)

I'm posting this in the Wind Waker OT, the "selfies" thread, the WiiU browser thread, and the next-gen screenshot thread... because I pulled screens from all four.

I apologize for the lack of attribution -- would've been exhausting cataloguing each piece -- but what we have here is a collection of nearly 200 shots (all 720p) from The Wind Waker HD, spanning three pages, making it a great way to appreciate the game's artistry. (I also included a 1080p screen capture of the "legend" at the end, as well as a piece of high-res promo art.)

I'm still adding to the album. If anyone wants to take the following shots in 720p, upload them to abload.de (to avoid compression), and PM me the links, I think they would add nicely to the collection:

• A clear, focused, nicely centered, first-person shot for each of the stained glass portraits of the sages in the room with the Master Sword under Hyrule Castle
  • Full-color shots of Jalhalla (Earth Temple boss) and Molgera (Wind Temple boss)
Also feel free to peruse the other sets I assembled. Like TWWHD, the Tropical Freeze album consists of shots by GAF (and me!). The albums for BioShock Infinite, Dark Souls, Sleeping Dogs and Sonic Generations are 100% me.

All beautiful games. If anyone wants to contribute Wind Waker HD shots, feel free to PM me. :)

Thank you for this! Wow, what a beautiful game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just saw this. Can someone take more 720p screens of the figurine gallery? Preferably a complete figurine gallery? :)
Only because I already had it uploaded in my old WW gallery:
ipkIX57yXsDBP.jpg

Also nice work on the Flickr set. Love that it goes in game order.

Deku Tree

Nice !!!

Neiteio

Thank you for this! Wow, what a beautiful game.

Only because I already had it uploaded in my old WW gallery:
ipkIX57yXsDBP.jpg

Also nice work on the Flickr set. Love that it goes in game order.

Thanks guys. :) I literally went through just about every TWWHD screenshot posted in the four threads I mentioned. I was discriminating to avoid redundancies, and to maintain a certain threshold of quality (starting with 720p and no compression). And yeah, it is in chronological order, for the most part -- I start with general shots of the Great Sea, in no particular order, and some mid-game shots of Outset, before resetting to the start of the game and going in order from there. The Hyrule Castle shots are all lumped together -- the first trip to acquire the Master Sword halfway through the game, followed by returning with Tetra and the end-game.

That shot BGBW took of the figurine is nice. I'm hoping someone can make a visit to Hyrule Castle and take individual shots of each stained glass window (the ones with the Sages -- I already have a shot of the one with Ganon and the Triforce). Anyone want to try this? Simply go up to each stained glass window, look at it in first-person view, make it nice and centered, hit the Home button, go to the Internet browser, pull up abload.de, hit the "browser" button (in German, most likely), select the TV image, hit "Abload!", and then copy/paste the URL into an email to yourself in a separate tab. Then post it here!

Neiteio

It's funny, my addiction to collecting screenshots of DKCTF led me to collect screenshots of TWWHD, which led to me resuming my playthrough -- I had left off at Dragon Roost Island back in October, but now I'm past Hyrule Castle and heading to the Forsaken Fortress Part 2. This game is so good!

All of the small tweaks really add up -- dragging and dropping items to equip on the GamePad touchscreen, tabbing over to the map to track where you're heading, the shortened song-playing animations when repeating songs, the way the Fishman's info is saved on the map, the fact the Picto Box can hold 12 photos and you can have the carver work on 12 figurines at once, how it tells you when a photo you've taken will work for a figurine -- the list goes on and on.

And the Swift Sail changes everything -- you sail so fast you're practically skimming the waves, and the wind turns as you turn, which makes it effortless to crisscross back and forth for Tingle Bottles -- another great addition that pays off handsomely whenever someone attaches a photo of a character I haven't encountered yet (thus allowing me to snag the figurine early -- I already have Molgera and I'm several dungeons away from the Wind Temple)!

Also, Hero Mode is AWESOME -- I thought double damage and no hearts would still be too easy, but I've fallen in battle multiple times in each dungeon so far, and I've gone into many fights with heart in throat, so to speak, bracing myself since I only had one hit and no fairies. More often than not you have to rely on potions, which reminds me of the Estus Flask in Dark Souls -- you can only take so many swills (usually one per bottle, or two in the case of Grandma's Soup), so you have to be smart to survive. Come to think of it, this game is Dark Souls in more way than one, since the Tingle Bottles are essentially the bloodstains of the Souls series. :)

And to follow up on my own request -- I went ahead and took pictures of each stained glass window. :p

Neiteio

Man, I wish this thread wasn't in Community, it seems I'm the only one talking about it now, lol. BUT THAT WON'T STOP ME. I'm thoroughly enjoying this wonderful remake now, en route to Fire Mountain to get the Power Bracelets for the Earth Temple after visiting the Queen Fairy for the bow upgrade (and updating miscellaneous equipment via the various island fairies).

Also, I'm on my way to fully completing the Nintendo Gallery, something I came just short of in the GameCube original because I didn't know about the missable figurines back then. Now I've secured them, and I've been sharing the wealth by spamming Tingle Bottles containing pictographs of the missable characters. The possibility of picking up a Tingle Bottle with a pictograph for a figurine you don't have yet makes snatching them up from the sea or shoreline all the more addictive.

The figurines just look so AMAZING in this game. As someone who loves model viewers in games, I can't get enough of it! Here are a few favorites:

twwhd-figure-greatfai17umj.jpg

twwhd-figure-queenfai6duzb.jpg

twwhd-figure-darknut0pjuli.jpg

Ganondorf looks especially amazing:

twwhd-figure-ganondor1ru0f.jpg

twwhd-figure-ganondorx2uf0.jpg

Niraj

I was very pleased with the changes regarding the gallery and the pictobox. 3 pictographs at a time was just a giant pain in the ass, and the fact that it notifies you if the pictures are acceptable immediately is also a huge help. I was extremely grateful for the Tingle Bottles too, as I forgot to snap a picture of Cyclos and was lucky enough to find a bottle with his picture in it.

Neiteio

I was very pleased with the changes regarding the gallery and the pictobox. 3 pictographs at a time was just a giant pain in the ass, and the fact that it notifies you if the pictures are acceptable immediately is also a huge help. I was extremely grateful for the Tingle Bottles too, as I forgot to snap a picture of Cyclos and was lucky enough to find a bottle with his picture in it.
Yeah, Nintendo's "two steps forward, one step back" tendencies had me worried they would inexplicably nerf the Nintendo Gallery somehow, but the changes are all good. Collecting pictographs to turn into figurines is more addictive than ever. It feels very rewarding, coming back to Forest Haven with a haul of 12 photos -- a mix of shots I took myself and shots I found in Tingle Bottles, all stamped with an icon showing they'll work as figurines -- and then having the carver make them all at once. It's even quicker playing the Song of Passing so you can see the figurines faster, since the encore only occurs once per song per play session. :)

Deku Tree

Man, I wish this thread wasn't in Community, it seems I'm the only one talking about it now, lol. BUT THAT WON'T STOP ME. I'm thoroughly enjoying this wonderful remake now, en route to Fire Mountain to get the Power Bracelets for the Earth Temple after visiting the Queen Fairy for the bow upgrade (and updating miscellaneous equipment via the various island fairies).

Also, I'm on my way to fully completing the Nintendo Gallery, something I came just short of in the GameCube original because I didn't know about the missable figurines back then. Now I've secured them, and I've been sharing the wealth by spamming Tingle Bottles containing pictographs of the missable characters. The possibility of picking up a Tingle Bottle with a pictograph for a figurine you don't have yet makes snatching them up from the sea or shoreline all the more addictive.

The figurines just look so AMAZING in this game. As someone who loves model viewers in games, I can't get enough of it! Here are a few favorites:

twwhd-figure-greatfai17umj.jpg

twwhd-figure-queenfai6duzb.jpg

twwhd-figure-darknut0pjuli.jpg

Ganondorf looks especially amazing:

twwhd-figure-ganondor1ru0f.jpg

twwhd-figure-ganondorx2uf0.jpg

Keep posting pics !!! Love them. I filled up my figurine gallery in 2013. Much easier than back on my GC. The ocean bottles are fabulous. Got most of the legendary figurines that way. And the missable pirates. And a few bosses too !!!

squid

I finally bought this game today. I always planned to get it, since I never beat the original, but I couldn't bring myself to buy it when I hadn't completed Skyward Sword yet (I bought it in February last year). Well, I finally managed to bring myself to finish SS, staying up until 2:30am to finish it (I found the second half of that game a chore tbh, but that's a post for the SS OT). Downloaded WWHD this morning and got straight into it.

I'm having so much more fun with this game than SS! I'm just finished with Dragon Roost Island and went back and picked up the Swift Sail. I'm finding the side quests much more interesting than Skyward Swords. Windfall Island is a fun little town.

The improvements of the remake are very much appreciated. The graphics are absolutely beautiful and the music is great too. The gamepad use is terrific and the tingle bottles are a pretty cool feature!

Can't wait to see the rest of the game!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've just started this game and finished Dragon Roost Island. I take it there are no journals of what folks have said and hints what you need to do next.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've just started this game and finished Dragon Roost Island. I take it there are no journals of what folks have said and hints what you need to do next.

No journals on what people have said though most will just repeat things if you speak to them again. Usually the King of Red Lions tells you what you need to do next.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
No journals on what people have said though most will just repeat things if you speak to them again. Usually the King of Red Lions tells you what you need to do next.

Thanks.

OK, I started this a few days ago, and I'm now on the first dungeon. I haven't played it before.. thus the questions.

I got to where you get the master key from the chest, but the chest requires me to stand on something to remove the flames. I know I have to attack the creature and put it on the block that allows access to the chest, but I've tried it loads of times and it just doesn't seem to work. Advice?

Draconian

OK, I started this a few days ago, and I'm now on the first dungeon. I haven't played it before.. thus the questions.

I got to where you get the master key from the chest, but the chest requires me to stand on something to remove the flames. I know I have to attack the creature and put it on the block that allows access to the chest, but I've tried it loads of times and it just doesn't seem to work. Advice?

Wait until it tries to attack you, z target it, and hit it in the eye with the grappling hook twice. It should roll up and you can pick it up and put it down on the switch, but you'll need to be quick about it.

Nharox

Neo Member
I'm thinking about getting this game thanks to the MK8 promotion but I have a question:

Would you recommend this version to someone who didn't enjoy the GC version? I wasn't that far into the game, I got to the part
where you find out that that pirate girl is Zelda
. The thing that annoyed me was the whole boat thing. It was so tiresome to get around especially when you didnt know where to go. I remember you also had to change the wind which took forever.

Is that any better now?

Niraj

I'm thinking about getting this game thanks to the MK8 promotion but I have a question:

Would you recommend this version to someone who didn't enjoy the GC version? I wasn't that far into the game, I got to the part
where you find out that that pirate girl is Zelda
. The thing that annoyed me was the whole boat thing. It was so tiresome to get around especially when you didnt know where to go. I remember you also had to change the wind which took forever.

Is that any better now?

There's a new item called the swift sail. When you use it, the wind is always behind you no matter what, and it's also faster than the normal sail. I'm sure that would help you out a ton.

Top Bottom