• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Deku Tree

I'm thinking about getting this game thanks to the MK8 promotion but I have a question:

Would you recommend this version to someone who didn't enjoy the GC version? I wasn't that far into the game, I got to the part
where you find out that that pirate girl is Zelda
. The thing that annoyed me was the whole boat thing. It was so tiresome to get around especially when you didnt know where to go. I remember you also had to change the wind which took forever.

Is that any better now?

Yes this version is much better. All the annoying aspects of the GC version have been tremendously improved.

Anteo

There are still some parts that are super annoying (hey there Triforce quest) but the game was fantastic before that. It's just that when I got to the "fight lots and lots and lots of enemies in a row (for a zelda game)" I just could not go on and dropped the game. So if you were annoyed by that, it's likely taht you will hate the last section of the game and drop it right there

This game is just as magical as I remember it and the graphics look great! I had put off buying this as I had completed it at least four times back in the GameCube days but I'm remembering why it's my favorite 3d Zelda, just fantastic atmosphere and feel.

Vagabundo

Where do I go after
getting the boomerang in the forbidden forest
? I'm back to the game after a hiatus and I am completely lost. Is there a journal that will give you a hint as to where to go next?

Banzai

Finished the game. I had tons of fun with it (just wish I had found the swift sail sooner).

Anyway I forgot to save before beating Ganon so my last save is from before i started looking for the triforce pieces...what's different in the new game+ file i saved? I might just start over.

Deku Tree

Where do I go after
getting the boomerang in the forbidden forest
? I'm back to the game after a hiatus and I am completely lost. Is there a journal that will give you a hint as to where to go next?

Did you
defeat the Boss and get Farore's Pearl?
If so go to
Greatfish Isle
and Meet up with Quill.
That part can be a little bit confusing especially if picking it up after a hiatus. The game does tell you where to go if you are paying attention to the text prompts.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker/Walkthrough

Vagabundo

Did you
defeat the Boss and get Farore's Pearl?
If so go to
Greatfish Isle
and Meet up with Quill.
That part can be a little bit confusing especially if picking it up after a hiatus. The game does tell you where to go if you are paying attention to the text prompts.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker/Walkthrough

I think I did, but how can I tell if I did, is it in the inventory somewhere?

EDIT: It's gotten all
stormy
now. So I think I did defeat that boss...

Celine

Bought this game using the MK8 promotion.
It's as charming as ever and like OoT3D, the remake became the definitive version with all the improvements.

I finally bought this game today. I always planned to get it, since I never beat the original, but I couldn't bring myself to buy it when I hadn't completed Skyward Sword yet (I bought it in February last year). Well, I finally managed to bring myself to finish SS, staying up until 2:30am to finish it (I found the second half of that game a chore tbh, but that's a post for the SS OT). Downloaded WWHD this morning and got straight into it.

I'm having so much more fun with this game than SS! I'm just finished with Dragon Roost Island and went back and picked up the Swift Sail. I'm finding the side quests much more interesting than Skyward Swords. Windfall Island is a fun little town.

The improvements of the remake are very much appreciated. The graphics are absolutely beautiful and the music is great too. The gamepad use is terrific and the tingle bottles are a pretty cool feature!

Can't wait to see the rest of the game!
WW is much better than SS IMO.

So I got the Mario Kart 8 promotion and ended up going with this game over Pikmin 3. I've played Pikmin games before, but i've never played through a 3D Zelda all the way despite loving the 2D games. I've played a few hours of some other 3D Zeldas (OoT on 3ds, TP on Gamecube) but i'm going in pretty fresh to this game. Are there are any tips or things that a newcomer should know?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
So I got the Mario Kart 8 promotion and ended up going with this game over Pikmin 3. I've played Pikmin games before, but i've never played through a 3D Zelda all the way despite loving the 2D games. I've played a few hours of some other 3D Zeldas (OoT on 3ds, TP on Gamecube) but i'm going in pretty fresh to this game. Are there are any tips or things that a newcomer should know?

If I remember correctly, after the first main dungeon (Forsaken Fortress is more like a weird tutorial), you'll be able to get the swift sail from the auction house on Windfall Island. Definitely make a point of getting that, as it will make sailing infinitely easier (the wind will always be behind you, and you go faster. Without that, you have to manually change the direction of the wind every time). Also, you can use the grappling hook on common enemies to steal items they normally can drop. There's one droppable you need 20 of later on to progress, so that will make it easier for you, though they aren't terribly hard to find I guess. Make sure you use L-targeting as much as you can, it makes fighting a lot easier. Try to talk to as many NPCs as you can, as you never know what kind of information they'll have. That's all I can think of offhand, hope you have fun :)

Man I totally fucked up by starting this in Hero mode. I guess it's just been too long and I'm too unfamiliar with the controls, but it looks like I've gotta start over, as no hearts makes progression a real slog in some dungeons.

Fack.

Just noticed this thread, Wind Waker is my favourite game of all time. The sense of freedom, the art direction, the amount of details and love poured in every corner of the map are still unmatched in the series in my opinion.

Here are some screenshots I took in WWHD:
10106378555_6e9e1aaebb_o.jpg
10115260746_66508abb92_o.jpg
10120545826_01c47a5368_o.jpg
10121627843_900d0af900_o.jpg
12029069556_29181ff0da_o.jpg
12050626455_c7958c6083_o.jpg
10167911604_788aa7db1e_o.jpg
12058554684_81d748a479_o.jpg

leroidys

Man I totally fucked up by starting this in Hero mode. I guess it's just been too long and I'm too unfamiliar with the controls, but it looks like I've gotta start over, as no hearts makes progression a real slog in some dungeons.

Fack.
You can toggle hero mode on or off in any save IIRC. I think it's an option when you choose which save file to start.

y2dvd

Haven't played WW since the GC release but I started WWHD last night.
Link changed in front of his grandma!
Sick! D:

I just found out I missed this Kogoli figure, wtf is this shit. I am supposed to now randomly find a picture of him in a tingle bottle. :(

Can anyone start throwing pictures of him into the ocean for me.

Deband

Are there any easier ways to set up the controls. The problem I am having is any item I need to aim with the right stick (the grappling hook and the boomerang so far) I have to do this weird kinda claw thing with my hand to press the button and try and aim with the same hand.

Draconian

Are there any easier ways to set up the controls. The problem I am having is any item I need to aim with the right stick (the grappling hook and the boomerang so far) I have to do this weird kinda claw thing with my hand to press the button and try and aim with the same hand.

Have you tried aiming with the gyro controls? I found them way more precise than using the sticks.

Asign the item you need to aim to the R bumper so you can use the thumb on the right stick to adjust your sights. Also keep the gyroscope asistance on since it increases the precision and is fantastic to make corrections to the imprecise nature of the thumb stick.

I've played a disgusting amount of this game.

Motivated to try and 100% after doing the same with Link between worlds.

Game has so much that I missed out on when I first played it back in 2004.

Just noticed this thread, Wind Waker is my favourite game of all time. The sense of freedom, the art direction, the amount of details and love poured in every corner of the map are still unmatched in the series in my opinion.

Here are some screenshots I took in WWHD:
Eh, while the game looks great, it's also a lot easier to pump a ton of details into the game when most of the areas are very small if not tiny and the rest of the map is covered in water.

Toparaman

Banned
I'm gonna be the odd man out here. The original Wind Waker looks much better. WWHD has this odd lifeless look to it. And the bloom is awful.

Disappointed that Aonuma could screw something up as easy as making Wind Waker look good in HD. The toon-shading in the original is sublime, and not something you should fuck with.

EDIT: I'm starting to warm up to the new look a bit. A bit.

Lorcain

I just finished WW last night. It's the first Zelda game I've ever completed. It was a fun adventure. The last part of the game was kind of a grind
collecting the triforce shards
, but the finale was good.

It's a very charming game. I really liked the artistic style, and thought it worked very well for the open ocean setting. There's something awesome about getting back into the boat and heading out into the ocean with Link.

I'm now trying to decide which Zelda game to play next. I have both OoT and ALBW for my 3ds. It sounds like I can't go wrong with either choice.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I just finished WW last night. It's the first Zelda game I've ever completed. It was a fun adventure. The last part of the game was kind of a grind
collecting the triforce shards
, but the finale was good.

It's a very charming game. I really liked the artistic style, and thought it worked very well for the open ocean setting. There's something awesome about getting back into the boat and heading out into the ocean with Link.

I'm now trying to decide which Zelda game to play next. I have both OoT and ALBW for my 3ds. It sounds like I can't go wrong with either choice.

If you haven't played OoT, I'd play that first. It's more similar to WW so I think that'd be an easy transition for you.

So I've reached the point where
Tetra's true identity is revealed
. How much longer do I have left and around what % am I currently at, approximately?

Volotaire

I reached
Hyrule Castle.
This gam has an incredible sense of atmosphere and aesthetic. Gazing at
Hyrule field
under the seas was an odd and nostalgic feeling, and was saddening when I realised I couldn't roll across there.

cacildo

got back to the game. I think ive played 6 hours in two days

This game is INCREDIBLE. Its exactly the kind of game i want to play

And to think this was released in what? 2002?

Here's a screenshot just because

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01hvj67.jpg

alterno69

Banned
I'm a 35 years old gamer and i have never played a Zelda game.

During the Nes era i was you g and only cared for stuff like Contra, TMNT and Mario. Then i got a SNES but i was more into stuff like Star Wars and ISS. I skipped the N64 cause i went with a PS back then and my next Nintendo console was the WiiU i got for my son last christmas.

Anyway, he's 9 and i've been trying to get him to play RPG for some reason, i have never beaten anyone mind you but i think it is kind of a big deal for him to broaden his horizons. He loves Minecraft of course, he has had a racing fase, he played a shit ton of Forza Horizon 2 on Xbone, he recenlty beat the Dragon Ball game on his own so i thought he might be ready for something like Zelda. So i got the game used for him last weekend and he loved it, i've been watching him play and help him get past a couple of spots but other than that he's been doing really good on his own which i think it's great.

I have to say i think the game is amazing and i feel bad for not playing the series before. The desing is great and i enjoy the style, the dungeons seem to have the perfect balance of puzzles, exploration, combat and travel.

What other games in the series are available for WiiU that we should try?

Phoenixus

During the Nes era i was you g and only cared for stuff like Contra, TMNT and Mario. Then i got a SNES but i was more into stuff like Star Wars and ISS. I skipped the N64 cause i went with a PS back then and my next Nintendo console was the WiiU i got for my son last christmas.

Anyway, he's 9 and i've been trying to get him to play RPG for some reason, i have never beaten anyone mind you but i think it is kind of a big deal for him to broaden his horizons. He loves Minecraft of course, he has had a racing fase, he played a shit ton of Forza Horizon 2 on Xbone, he recenlty beat the Dragon Ball game on his own so i thought he might be ready for something like Zelda. So i got the game used for him last weekend and he loved it, i've been watching him play and help him get past a couple of spots but other than that he's been doing really good on his own which i think it's great.

I have to say i think the game is amazing and i feel bad for not playing the series before. The desing is great and i enjoy the style, the dungeons seem to have the perfect balance of puzzles, exploration, combat and travel.

Ocarina of Time on the WiiU virtual console is a must buy, or if you have a 3DS the remake on there. :) A link to the past is a strong recommendation too.

Deku Tree

Buy Zelda Twilight Princess for Wii and play it on Wii U in Wii Mode.

Super Mario 3DW
Pikmin 3
New Super Mario U
New Luigi U

Mario Kart
Super Smash Bros

alterno69

Banned
We have Mario 3d, MK and SB already, will try Ocarina on 3ds next, he already beat the last two Pokemon games there all by himself too.

I fired this up earlier for the first time since getting it around Mario Kart 8's launch and :eek: it is so lovely. Videos and screens I saw for it on the internet just didn't do it justice. It looks and sounds delicious but it's just so smooth! I had not been in the mood for it until now as I had played through the GC original multiple times and was pretty burnt out on it but so far I'm really feeling it :D. I am just about to
leave home for the first time
so I'm still uber early but the nostalgia feels coupled with the beautiful job they have done on this iteration means that I am in for a fun time :). I'm already looking forward to
KA-BOOM!!!
:D

RiggyRob

Pimmsy and I have decided to make an actual go of this whole YouTube/Let's Play malarkey, and we're starting off with Part 1 of Wind Waker HD: https://youtu.be/dIIlpF05bIE

If there's anyone who wants to watch and give any feedback or criticisms, such as the play style, the commentary, is the video too short/too long, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully I won't end up double-posting a lot as our uploading schedule of one Wind Waker every two days isn't too frequent.

Top Bottom