• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

Oh god, the construction site! I nearly passed out from the stench of the cheese from all the Schwartzenegger jokes. They really had total recall of his movie roles. *groan* But the best joke wasn't one of those, it was
"Did you finish that construction job?" "Yeah, the first floor's done...but the second floor, that's another story!"

I think the only boring part of the game is driving to the next mission, but every open world game suffers from that....I'm not sure how someone could call gliding with a chicken so you can fire a pig out of a cannon "boring" lol

I totally disagree. Part of the joy of Red Dead is riding across the beautiful landscape and encountering the numerous side quests and citizens in distress. I find myself just riding around waiting for someone to ask for help and soaking up the very well constructed environments.

I totally disagree. Part of the joy of Red Dead is riding across the beautiful landscape and encountering the numerous side quests and citizens in distress. I find myself just riding around waiting for someone to ask for help and soaking up the very well constructed environments.

You are twisting my point.....I love the very same thing in this game, going around, exploring, finding secrets and side pigs lol....I find it boring when it's time to go to that mission marker, and that is my purpose at the moment to further the story, because I'm simply travelling and ignoring those fun distractions.....

shawnlreed

Whoever designed the Tick Tock Trial for the Ice Cream Truck in this game is sadistic.
Way harder than anything else I've come across so far.

You are twisting my point.....I love the very same thing in this game, going around, exploring, finding secrets and side pigs lol....I find it boring when it's time to go to that mission marker, and that is my purpose at the moment to further the story, because I'm simply travelling and ignoring those fun distractions.....

That makes me feel better. So is there plenty to do outside of the main missions? Any cool side quests ala Zelda or Red Dead?

That makes me feel better. So is there plenty to do outside of the main missions? Any cool side quests ala Zelda or Red Dead?
There is plenty to do but not really in the form of meaty side quests like a Zelda or Red Dead have. There is just a ton of smaller stuff to do: car time trials, stealing cars, finding the pigs, free runs, putting out BBQs, smashing ATMs, finding Super Bricks, building Super Builds. All of those things earn you Gold Bricks and some unlock costumes and vehicles. So the city is pretty well saturated with stuff to do (seemingly on every corner) but you aren't going to find anything too big.

Also, definitely go back to the story missions after you beat the game, the new abilities you will have open up completely new areas that were inaccessible the first time you go through the story.

GulAtiCa

You use the coins to unlock extra characters and vehicles you get throughout the game. (as well as the cheats like 2,4x, etc)

Sanic

Has anyone else noticed that it takes the Wii U way longer to tell what game has been loaded when you insert this disc? Same with going back to the home menu. I'll sit at that "please wait" screen for 10 seconds while it reads the disc.

Anyone? Hate to quote on the same page, but I would like to know if there's an issue with my disc.

Could anyone with a disc copy comment? The drive makes a constant clicking noise as it's reading the disc on the home menu as well.

JCH!

Anyone? Hate to quote on the same page, but I would like to know if there's an issue with my disc.

Could anyone with a disc copy comment? The drive makes a constant clicking noise as it's reading the disc on the home menu as well.

Mine takes longer than usual as well. I thought something was wrong the first time I loaded it but it seems to be normal. Maybe this game is just huge?

Frodo

Just played this for a little over an hour and the dialogues are indeed really funny. I already love Frank Honey lol

Seems like a good game so far. Still haven't explored the city or anything, but I'm enjoying my time with the game.

I just started playing this today after finishing Tomb Raider. Not only is this a great change of pace, but a couple of hours in, I think I like it more! What a gem. I hope (but don't see how) it sells well!

stuminus3

Happens to me too, I think you're good.

shawnlreed

Finished the main story. Is there an effective way of going about collecting everything? Or is it just best to roam around doing random stuff?

You may already know this, but I didn't until I was far into the game ....
If you look on the Wii U gamepad there's a hexagon in the middle of the top of the screen. It flashes every time you get a gold brick.
Press it and it will show you how many collectables, and which type, remain in each smaller area.
If you zoom out it will tell you how many collectables, and which type, remain in the entire world.
That has helped me as I try to complete each region 100%.

qwerty2k

One other thing that's a little annoying, the detective spots etc when you've done them once and found the hidden treasure etc when you come back later they still appear and instead you just get a couple of studs, it makes me forget which ones ive done and which i havent so i end up doing the same one multiple times, i wish they flagged which ones you have already done.

Rubixcuba

Banned

My Wii U drive makes a similar sound and takes a little bit to appear in the menu. Has only happened the once but made me worry pretty badly. A relief to know that it seems to be a common issue, but seems like a very odd issue in the first place?

jlscool

Whoever designed the Tick Tock Trial for the Ice Cream Truck in this game is sadistic.
Way harder than anything else I've come across so far.

Yes, that one and also the Taxi. Have not been able to beat either so far.

Finished the main story. Is there an effective way of going about collecting everything? Or is it just best to roam around doing random stuff?

I am about 60% complete and your scanner will get an upgrade to scan for clues. That will basically show you where everything is as long as you are pretty close to it already.

kunonabi

the initial load takes longer and i get the same noise as well. it is odd.

Schnozberry

My Wii U drive makes a similar sound and takes a little bit to appear in the menu. Has only happened the once but made me worry pretty badly. A relief to know that it seems to be a common issue, but seems like a very odd issue in the first place?

My drive is fairly quiet. The only time I hear it is during heavy loading or at boot up. I'd call Nintendo and get it fixed. They can turn stuff around in a day or two, and they mail you a shipping box with prepaid labels for warranty claims.

shawnlreed

Yes, that one and also the Taxi. Have not been able to beat either so far.

I feel better knowing I'm not the only one irritated with this!
Stupid Ice Cream Truck will not stop flipping over after it ramps!
I'm sure there's a trick to it.
I just haven't figured it out yet.

jlscool

I feel better knowing I'm not the only one irritated with this!
Stupid Ice Cream Truck will not stop flipping over after it ramps!
I'm sure there's a trick to it.
I just haven't figured it out yet.

Did you know that you can hit Y to flip back on your wheels?

What I hate is the races where the next Timer is in the opposite direction you are currently going right after a ramp. I can't seem to turn around fast enough.

I like the game but dear god these loading times.

Dear god. This may be the worst loading I've seen in years. Will there be a patch?

Tokieda

My WiiU did that with all of my discs, so they replaced it for me
they even transferred my NNID and everything!
. Have you tried with other discs?

thomaser

This was not a good game to start playing when I have two very important assignments due very soon... I've been playing it all day this easter, and it's so hard to stop! Always have to find one more super brick before quitting.

I, too, hope the load times can be patched somehow. They're the only thing about this game that I'd say is bad. Everything else is so damned funny! Frank Honey on the horse...

I like the game but dear god these loading times.

Dear god. This may be the worst loading I've seen in years. Will there be a patch?

Recent Lego games have tended to have long load times, and this is far bigger / more feature packed, so...

I don't find the REALLY long ones frequent enough to be a severe hindrance, luckily.

Cosmozone

Haha, I just got April's fooled in an amazing way. A person on Miiverse's LCU community said he sold the game and was making a sad face. The post was easy to believe because it's not too uncommon. Of course I had to click on it.

Katzii

I feel like I'm the only person who finds the loading times to not be that bad.

Mind you, I tried contending with ModNation Racers. At least this has an enjoyable game to play at the end of the loading times, which I find don't come along too often.

...Maybe that's because I try and collect everything I find.

Had a couple of glitches though; one that happened a couple of days ago when
I tried to enter the prison warden's office once I had opened it
- the room didn't load, and I kept walking into black and eventually falling down a pit and dying. Thankfully, walking away from the room entirely and going back to it fixed the issue.

The second glitch I had today happened before the game had even begun, and this was on the Gamepad. When it started up, I noticed that the black screens between logos and so on were actually grey. The logo screen (TT/Lego/etc) was fine, but then the other screens did this.

Again, an easy fix by pressing the Home button on the WiiU Gamepad, but I don't think it would have fixed itself otherwise.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Did you know that you can hit Y to flip back on your wheels?

What I hate is the races where the next Timer is in the opposite direction you are currently going right after a ramp. I can't seem to turn around fast enough.

WHAT?

Frodo

Ok, I'm about to say that everyone should play this just because of Frank Honey.

Everyone should play this just because of Frank Honey.

Completed the main game last night. It's an excellent title well worth playing. Took about 25 hours.

Excellent writing, densely packed world. Combat is a little too easy.

Overall it's a 9/10 game for me.

9/10 from me, it leaves a great framework for future games to build on. I'm hoping for user generated content if a sequel is made. If it was included, 10/10.

jlscool

I was thinking about what they would do with a sequel. I think they should move Chase out of law inforcement and into a spy role next.

thomaser

A sequel would have to incorporate a wider range of Lego sets. They've already used the City sets for all they're worth. What about a time-travelling McCain/Honey team? With all the cool fortresses in the past, and the space and underwater sets in the future.

Just finished the main story in about 18 hours with 25.3%. Some games do not have epic final levels. This, gentleman, is not one of those games. Loved the last mission.

I agree. I couldnt believe this was coming from a lego game.

It also hints at a sequel, which I expected.

Anyone think the sequel would be multiplatform?

Does anyone think the trex is an unlockable vehicle? Or would that be too much for the framerate to cause havoc in a city filled with things? Its was great when i used it in a mission, but you were very limited to where you go.

If anything, they should make it an unlockable after 100% the game.

NFreak

I agree. I couldnt believe this was coming from a lego game.

It also hints at a sequel, which I expected.

Anyone think the sequel would be multiplatform?

I would probably expect it to go multiplatform depending on how the sales were. I do love me those Nintendo easter eggs though.

But man, this was my first LEGO game by Traveler's Tales and I absolutely loved it. So much charm. So much fun. I doubt anyone is still on the fence or hasn't bought the game yet but if you are, check out this review I did. Maybe it will change your mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7eY2qS8De4

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I would probably expect it to go multiplatform depending on how the sales were. I do love me those Nintendo easter eggs though.

But man, this was my first LEGO game by Traveler's Tales and I absolutely loved it. So much charm. So much fun. I doubt anyone is still on the fence or hasn't bought the game yet but if you are, check out this review I did. Maybe it will change your mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7eY2qS8De4

This game won't go multi-plat. Nintendo practically bankrolled it, Iwata is listed as one of the producers among a lot of other Nintendo guys working on it. It's safe to say this is going to stay exclusive.

NFreak

This game won't go multi-plat. Nintendo practically bankrolled it, Iwata is listed as one of the producers among a lot of other Nintendo guys working on it. It's safe to say this is going to stay exclusive.

I meant for a sequel.... unless Nintendo buys out the exclusivity rights for that too.

addyb

Loving the game. I'm not one to whinge about load times normally but they are indeed poor. Its the only issue I have with the game so far.

Cosmozone

True, the loading times are pretty annoying, especially when starting up the game. I also wonder what takes so much time to load. It can't be loading graphics assets alone, because fast travel by train doesn't load anywhere that long. Maybe they're using different engines for the interiors and for outside and have to switch between them, but code isn't that bulky either. I'm quite at a loss here.

If it weren't for that, LCU would be nothing but pure joy. I was a little worried about the driving mechanics because of that preview video with its awkward driving but it turned out that the guy playing it just sucked at it, apparently.

I'm long from finishing it but I already long for a sequel with further enhancements like radio stations, weather effects, day/night cycle, etc.

Finished it at a little more than 30%.

Wow the last chapters are so epic! and beautiful! And still funny!

Maybe they should show a little more of that craziness in the trailers?

To those who complain about the driving: it gets better when you access more vehicles.

I remember seeing the first trailer at E3 and thinking it looked so bland, especially since I didn't like previous Lego games. But I thoroughly enjoyed myself with this one.

Top Bottom