• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

Robin64

It's amazing how much better it gets the further you get, then BOOM, final chapter amazingness. Better than most games, frankly.

Now currently just enjoying getting the remaining 60% with all the abilities you unlock. Just being in this world is a joy.

OK I am just about to pick this up right now based on the positive comments in this thread. Also so that my Wii U gets some use again lol.

addyb

OK I am just about to pick this up right now based on the positive comments in this thread. Also so that my Wii U gets some use again lol.

This game never appealed to me at all from the very first previews right up until the reviews started being posted but I took a chance and wow I'm enjoying it far more than I expected to. Just loads of good old fashioned fun. Lots of content, highly amusing and its very addictive once you start unlocking the different disguises to enable you to access areas that were previously inaccessible. :)

This and Luigi's mansion 2 in the same week is a massive double whammy from Nintendo.

I really don't get the few negative reviews it got. I really don't understand it. But okay, another man/woman can have another opinion. I can accept that at least. I'm glad that NintenGAF likes it! :)

addyb

I really don't get the few negative reviews it got. I really don't understand it. But okay, another man/woman can have another opinion. I can accept that at least. I'm glad that NintenGAF likes it! :)

I'm baffled to. The only real negatives are the loading times and maybe co op being left out.The latter doesn't bother me at all. If you wanted to nitpick some more you could argue the map could show more to enable you to see what's been done etc.

The only negatives for me are load times and the occasional massive distance between objectives... I'm only at the mission where I'm watching chans men but man, its been fun so far. I was glad that the combat got a little more fun after the Kung Fools episode, because its way too simple before that... Even so, its not the games strength. Its full of charm and humour though, moreso than other Lego games even. I think I love Frank Honey!

jmoe316

Missing one costume on Lady Liberty Island and can't figure out what I haven't done yet.

just got to the island today andcompleted it (only takes 10-15 minutes). I was about to be in the same boat as you but randomly smashed a bench along the perimeter and I was able to built a binocular post. There are EUR benches along the along. 2 are next to each other.

Hopefully thats the one. The rest are in the open or obvious.

just got to the island today andcompleted it (only takes 10-15 minutes). I was about to be in the same boat as you but randomly smashed a bench along the perimeter and I was able to built a binocular post. There are EUR benches along the along. 2 are next to each other.

Hopefully thats the one. The rest are in the open or obvious.

That's definitely the one, I didn't smash any of the benches. Thanks!

agnidragon

Neo Member
You and me both !

Is anyone anywhere near 100% at all ?

I got 100% over the weekend. Some of the hidden stuff where hard to find. It took me an hour and a half to find the vehicle theft in downtown. I felt like a dummy after I found it because I had passed that area several times. I really enjoyed the game though.

Loving this game so far. Up to mission 14 so nearly done with the main story, but only about 25% complete so lots to do still. This is probably the most genuinely funny game I've ever played. I was laughing hard on the construction site level and my 8 year old just didn't get any of the gags - something for everyone here. How Edge gave this a 5/10 is beyond me, its like the guy either has an agenda or a sense of humour bypass.

eXistor

The game is pretty damn good and a great open-world game in its own right. I was surprised to see how well designed the actual city is, there's a lot of variety on display here.

My main gripe would be the actual missions. They're very diverse and all, but you feel like you're going through the motions a bit and they tend to drag on. If this is your first Lego game it's probably not a big deal, but after having played about 4 it gets old. I love that you unlock new abilities that give you more and more to do as you go on. I've played about 10 hours now and I haven't come close to unlocking all disguises, so there's a lot on content.

Also love the Nintendo references.

Coolwhip

Banned
Agree. Every puzzle in this game is basically the same. My biggest issue with this game are still the loading times though. Why the hell do you need to load a full minute twice in a row to even start? I think it takes about 5 minutes to get in the game from turning it on, which ruins short play sessions.

Nintendo Europe just tweeted a new code, so here's an updated list

• Civilian Werewolf: gystqp
  • Race car driver: mhhrhm
  • Gorilla suit guy: xkgzvj
  • Natalia Kowalski: hvgtpg
  • Samurai Warriori: rjyzhc
  • Baseball Player: ycmwkp
  • Soccer Player: syfmwj
  • Vehicle: Relocator: vzhhdm
  • Vehicle: Drakonas: dwjvct
  • Bonus Missions: 3D74QF9
  • Justice and red sport car: 3GCC7XR
  • Unlocks High Speed Chase Missions/Vehicles: N7NN4F9

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Wow, nice to see so many codes already.
Pleased to see the game got in the top 10 in the UK too.

Robin64

So the six digit codes are kinda worthless because they're stuff you get in the game anyway.

The seven digit ones, however, those are the bad boys. But how are:

Bonus Missions: 3D74QF9
Justice and red sport car: 3GCC7XR

Different from:

Unlocks High Speed Chase Missions/Vehicles: N7NN4F9

The N7 code gives the bonus missions *and* the Justice and red sport car.

Effect

Did not think I would be able to put so many hours into the game. The in-game timer is telling my 17 hours but the Wii U activity list is telling me over 21 hours. I know I paused or suspended the game a lot to do other things but didn't think it was that long. Currently on chapter
10 or 11. I just escaped from the Sentinels and now have to head back to Pappalardos to find Vinne.
. I'm sitting at 27% as well. Think I should be able to finish off the game off tonight or by tomorrow.

The loading is annoying but it doesn't bother me. It makes sense when you realize how big the city is.

Berg

Finally beat the story! ~19% done LOL

Does any one know if you can ride the robot trex after that mission? Also, I've collected a few vehicle unlocks, but how do I access those cars? I've built a few call-in points but only have the standard police car to choose from.

thomaser

Finally beat the story! ~19% done LOL

Does any one know if you can ride the robot trex after that mission? Also, I've collected a few vehicle unlocks, but how do I access those cars? I've built a few call-in points but only have the standard police car to choose from.

You buy the unlocked cars in the basement of the police station. You can also buy costumes there, and a few other things. Bummer to not know that until you completed the game!

Sanic

Thanks for all of the responses to my drive issue! Glad i'm not alone.

I do have a question though. I'm collecting/unlocking different characters, like prisoner, but they aren't available to switch to. Is there something else I need to do?

stuminus3

Thanks for all of the responses to my drive issue! Glad i'm not alone.

I do have a question though. I'm collecting/unlocking different characters, like prisoner, but they aren't available to switch to. Is there something else I need to do?
Finding them only unlocks them, you still need to actually purchase them in the basement of the police station.

My favourite thing about this game: there is no distracting minimap on the main screen. I have a hate/hate relationship with minimaps in open worlds because I always find my eyes focusing on the corner of the screen even if I don't need to. Since it's all the way down on the pad, I only look at it when I have to.

Berg

You buy the unlocked cars in the basement of the police station. You can also buy costumes there, and a few other things. Bummer to not know that until you completed the game!

Doh! yea I've been avoiding going into the police station because of the extra load.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Nintendo should put this game up at demo stations. My girlfriend's brother (a 21 year old textbook CoD-bro) started playing around with my completed file at Easter and wouldn't put it down for over an hour. He didn't even do any missions, he was just driving around and climbing buildings and doing jumps and solving the little puzzles with the different costumes to unlock costumes and shit. He was laughing out loud almost the whole time. When he started, he was screwing around in the southeast corner of the map in the Times Square area, then when I checked in on him later he was in the trees on the complete opposite side of the map in Bluebell National Park. He had no idea what a Wii U was (he kept calling it a PS3), but now he intends to go pick one up with Lego City. From not even knowing the system exists to going out and buying one, all because he had some time with this amazing game.

5/10 my ass.

SmokeMaxX

What is the best deal for this game right now? I think I saw it at Target with $10 gift card for $50 plus I get 5% off. Is that the way to go? I'd like to pick it up to support even though I don't really like open world games.

bndadm

Nintendo should put this game up at demo stations.

Absolutely. It boggles me that the only playable demo I've found was for Rayman. It's not my cup of tea but it offers such a limited view on what the tablet and system can do.

This game really can be (and to me, was) a system seller.

What is the best deal for this game right now? I think I saw it at Target with $10 gift card for $50 plus I get 5% off. Is that the way to go? I'd like to pick it up to support even though I don't really like open world games.

Probably that. Maybe a B2G1F sale.

Give the game a fair shake and take it on its own merits. Initial load times aside it's a fantastic game regardless.

eXistor

Absolutely. It boggles me that the only playable demo I've found was for Rayman. It's not my cup of tea but it offers such a limited view on what the tablet and system can do.

This game really can be (and to me, was) a system seller.
I put it in our demo system at work and it's pretty damn popular, people really seem to be into it.

Iceberg

There isn't even an instruction manual with NFSMW:U; it's just a 2 page pamphlet that tells you to access the digital manual in-game... which made me sad, because I bought the game already but won't be getting a Wii U for a bit and wanted to have some fun flipping through the manual. I'd forgotten that manuals basically are non-existent these days.

You may download the electronic manual in PDF form from Nintendo UK official page for the game :)

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/LEGO-CITY-Undercover-653779.html

http://cdn01.nintendo-europe.com/me...ectronicManual_WiiU_LegoCityUndercover_en.pdf

This game shows off the different kind of gamers and how this game can appease them equally. I am not done with the story missions, have 56% complete. I have the attention span of a goldfish on my way to mission markers and may avoid actually getting there for days!

I oughta finish it soon before I burn out on it, though !

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I put it in our demo system at work and it's pretty damn popular, people really seem to be into it.

I am not surprised, the game has something for everyone except the shoot em up crowd. If they were smart they'd give the game a huge marketing push, maybe make it a pack in on the deluxe version if they can.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wish they'd spent more time tweaking the driving model. It's my only real negative for the game.

So i keep getting red bricks, but when i go to the pause screen to buy them, i can't. Where do you go to buy them? Is it in the police station somewhere and i just haven't found it out of stupidity?

NFreak

So i keep getting red bricks, but when i go to the pause screen to buy them, i can't. Where do you go to buy them? Is it in the police station somewhere and i just haven't found it out of stupidity?

You unlock them in the police station. It's where you unlock everything else except on the floor above. You'll need to get the key card in the safe behind the counter where you unlock vehicles to get up there.

I wish they'd spent more time tweaking the driving model. It's my only real negative for the game.

You know, I haven't made up my mind about that. On the one hand, vehicles drive exactly like you'd expect a Lego car with fixed wheels to drive (extremely stiff, flat binary-ish cornering.). On the other hand, they drive like you're playing with a Lego car, which means terribly.

On the one hand, the mechanics are serviceable enough and match the game's license. On the other, going between this and NFS can be painful.

Hmmmm

Top Bottom