• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Thank goodness, a new hope. I hope that means I can unload the few I have at an OK price once they are all gone.

I don't know if cancellation will mean less interest in the toys from now defunct show or will it gain cult status as the better prequel Star Wars story and increase the price. I somehow think it will be the former as less kids are buying the set and most adult prefer OT to prequel or Clone Wars.

I enjoy the first two seasons but then my kids got older and we sort of stop watching it (after season 3). The story also get too much into politics (not sure why Lucas keep pushing that theme) and became somewhat boring in season 3.

Am I the only one who doesn't think the mini-figs were that ugly. Though I would prefer them not having those big stupid googly eyes. (I am looking at you animated Yoda).

Now it's official - Clone Wars is cancelled.

http://starwars.com/news/a-new-direction-for-lucasfilm-animation.html

Farwell, hideous-face minifigs, I will not miss you.

I don't know if cancellation will mean less interest in the toys from now defunct show or will it gain cult status as the better prequel Star Wars story and increase the price. I somehow think it will be the former as less kids are buying the set and most adult prefer OT to prequel or Clone Wars.

I enjoy the first two seasons but then my kids got older and we sort of stop watching it (after season 3). The story also get too much into politics (not sure why Lucas keep pushing that theme) and became somewhat boring in season 3.

Am I the only one who doesn't think the mini-figs were that ugly. Though I would prefer them not having those big stupid googly eyes. (I am looking at you animated Yoda).

Ah yes, but once those kids become AFOLs, they will want new minifigs not used and abused. I will bide my time. Muwahahaha.

Ironically enough, I thought Yoda eyes were more acceptable because he has huge eyes anyways.

Chuckie

Ironically enough, I thought Yoda eyes were more acceptable because he has huge eyes anyways.

Not really.

Yoda_SWSB.jpg

At least not huge open manga-like, like the Yoda LEGO minifig. The old one is rather crap too though.

Not really.

At least not huge open manga-like, like the Yoda LEGO minifig. The old one is rather crap too though.

Have they shown the Geonosis duel set's Yoda? He should be "live" action version since it is based on Ep2 scene. And yeah the old Yoda from the swamp (along with those ewoks) are rather frightening looking.

Every time I see animated Yoda I keep thinking of the Furbyz or Gremlins.

Thanks for the pic I was just searching on the net also. I am not sure why they paint the white part of his eyes when all other LEGO min-figs just have the black pupils. He looks a bit better than the animated but not by much. It's still early stage may be he will get refined by release time. Count Dooku looks great though.

The announcement also states that whatever remains is "bonus content", so I wouldn't expect another season - more along the lines of additional episodes in the Season 5 DVD/Blu, or via the Star Wars site as webisodes.

Additional sources are reporting:

1)Before cancellation work was ongoing on Seasons 6, 7 and 8.

2)They're finishing work on episodes close to completion, somewhere between 10-20 episodes, so no closure.

3)No decision as to how they're distributing those episodes, but presumable online.

4) Dave Filoni and George Lucas had recently worked out a definitive ending to the show, which we'll never get to see now.

5) Crew is being kept on for a couple of months until they finish, and many of them are then leaving Lucasfilm.

6) Two reasons for cancellation: Focus on Sequel trilogy era and the bottom line (the show was very expensive to produce).

Anyway, this is getting off-topic, so I'll take any further discussion to the Clone Wars thread.

I actually watched most Season 5 because I've been curious how Ahsoka will be handled once the series ends.
She leaves the Jedi Order in the most recent episode.
That's a good enough explanation for me.

Oh god, so hideous, kill them with fire!

Really wish they had done a better job with the Clone Wars figures.

Anywho I finally got a hold of some of Series 9 but got some figures I'm not interested in...anyone wants to trade? Got a Movie Star Lady (Marilyn Monroe look alike), Policeman, Skater Girl and Dr. Jekyll.

And this Museum set is nice, can't wait to build it!

Obviously disappointed in the Clone Wars cancellation, as I've been enjoying the show (just started season 3 last night) and I love the LEGO stuff.

Time to buy up whatever I can find before it gets too expensive...!

Not really.

Yoda_SWSB.jpg

luke-yoda.jpg

All the better to see the force.

W1tmb8U.jpg

(never mind the grey collar element - its part of that set's functionality)

VS

rfNzAt0.jpg

OK, I see the error of my ways when directly compared. Yoda's eyes are huge though. They just cut off his eyelids with and gave him giant eye sockets with the clone war one.

robjoh

Went to my parents house this weekend and I brought something with me. :D

295505_10151491279338tuknx.jpg

484232_10151491279368stjbq.jpg

Can't wait to start rebuilding these old sets. :)

All of my old Lego sets are at my brothers place, as he have two kids

I have a small idea that I should do what you are planing to do when I get some kid of my own. I mostly want my pirate Lego back. I have tons of it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Clone Wars faced are why I question some of the Zelda minifig designs of Cuusoo. Lego eyes should just be dots.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I really need to figure out a better way to organize during a build. I finished the first floor of the Grand Emporium this weekend (after finishing the Fire Brigade), and it's silly how pieces just go into multiple tupperware containers. I need a bigger working space when I dive into the Death Star (which, the only reason I didn't, was because of space issues when going through pieces for the Fire Brigade).

I really need to figure out a better way to organize during a build. I finished the first floor of the Grand Emporium this weekend (after finishing the Fire Brigade), and it's silly how pieces just go into multiple tupperware containers. I need a bigger working space when I dive into the Death Star (which, the only reason I didn't, was because of space issues when going through pieces for the Fire Brigade).

Do you empty all bags at once into containers, or just all the number 1 (etc) bags, empty, then move onto the next number?

Usually it is only 6 or so tupperware containers for the pieces if you go by the numbers on the bag. (sacrilege to many, I know). To save space that way I usually have the containers stacked, so the really small pieces are under the containers with the big pieces. It is also easy to tell which containers you will be using more at any moment. For example, on the modulars I put the bin with all the 1x8 bricks to the side since I wont be needing it often until it is wall building time.

DJ_Lae

This probably wouldn't work if (when) I get the super star destroyer, but whenever I get a Lego set (modulars included) I take those bags and I just dump them on the floor.

I keep them sort of in piles based on the bags they come from but during the hunt they end up getting shuffled together a bit.

I enjoy the hunt for pieces almost as much as the build process itself.

KEt3fbx.jpg

Speaking of sorting... I've just finished sorting my vintage Lego. Took me hours and hours. Now I'm gonna get some stacking boxes to put them in, for building and storage.

I threw out a bunch of broken pieces and various junk that made its way into the Lego box over the years, and I've been cleaning a bunch of pieces. I was into customizing back then too - most of it is luckily with stickers that can be cleaned off, but I was drawing with permanent markers on a bunch of plates too. Oh well.

I found that the "Light & Sound" box was heavily corroded and the old train set motor probably won't run anytime soon, but I might get another engine working - if I can find those batteries.

The big question is: what set do I start with? Right now I'm thinking Eldorado Fortress. I just checked and I have all the special wall pieces, so I should be fine.

Dragoshi1

Hey, any sets you guys would recommend?

Mostly something in the $30, maybe $40 dollar range?

I recently purchased the Galaxy Squad Mantis and Space Swarmer.

The sets I have so far are;

Galaxy Squad
Mantis
Space Swarmer

Lego City
High Speed Chase
Fire Truck

Star Wars
AT-RT

Ninjago
White Dragon(comes with Zane)

Chima
Razcal's Glider
Crawley's Claw Ripper
Crocodile Speedorz

I've mostly been sampling from each set until I settle on a favorite.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Do you empty all bags at once into containers, or just all the number 1 (etc) bags, empty, then move onto the next number?

Usually it is only 6 or so tupperware containers for the pieces if you go by the numbers on the bag. (sacrilege to many, I know). To save space that way I usually have the containers stacked, so the really small pieces are under the containers with the big pieces. It is also easy to tell which containers you will be using more at any moment. For example, on the modulars I put the bin with all the 1x8 bricks to the side since I wont be needing it often until it is wall building time.

I've never been one to mega-mix the bags like some folk. I've always just done the numbered bag/box. I've considered sorting by type/size prior to building in some instances so I can appreciate the technique rather than frustrate myself during the hunt. I find that I seldom appreciate building techniques that way.

Ironmask

Galaxy Squad
Mantis
Space Swarmer

Lego City
High Speed Chase
Fire Truck

Star Wars
AT-RT

Ninjago

Chima
Razcal's Glider
Crawley's Claw Ripper
Crocodile Speedorz

I suggest you the Creator sets, best bang for the bucks

Rootbeer

Banned
Not sure I like that Yoda. Maybe after I see more pics of it. not that the original yoda is much to top. I quite liked clone wars yoda though. they could have repainted and used it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Do you prefer play or display sets? It looks like you have a lot of play stuff right now, so if you're interested in the display stuff, take a look at some of the Creator line.

On the higher end of your price range, 7346 Seaside House would be good. 5766 Log Cabin is at the low end of your budget (and a great set), and the 5891 Apple Tree House is a superb buy, too. There are some neat vehicles/animals in the Creator line that might interest you as well.

Dragoshi1

Do you prefer play or display sets? It looks like you have a lot of play stuff right now, so if you're interested in the display stuff, take a look at some of the Creator line.

On the higher end of your price range, 7346 Seaside House would be good. 5766 Log Cabin is at the low end of your budget (and a great set), and the 5891 Apple Tree House is a superb buy, too. There are some neat vehicles/animals in the Creator line that might interest you as well.

That Apple Tree house looks amazing, actually! Log Cabin looks nice, too.

And yeah, special vehicles and animals are what I'm also mostly after.

I wanted me some Lego Dino, but it looks like it is being discontinued in stores, as my local TRU and other stores haven't restocked on them, I really want me some Dinos. If worse comes to worse, I'll order them, even if it's just the Dinosaurs themselves.

Scratch that, even Lego.com says it's discontinued...

I can't even seem to find the Orange or Green Rex from the sets loose.

Hey! I'm building a Lego Set right now for a class, I already built the base of it. But I'm photobashing/coloring it in photoshop adding additions ect.

It needs to be done in 3 hours and Im behind! Ahh. I'm in need of things for photobash; LEGO items. It's a "noise" based set so I need some nice clean shots of lego items like; cymbals, chimes, bells, horns, pans, gong, ect (not sets, but like minifig items/props). Anyone know any good places to get pics of those? Thank you!

Galaxy Squad
Mantis
Space Swarmer

Lego City
High Speed Chase
Fire Truck

Star Wars
AT-RT

Ninjago

Chima
Razcal's Glider
Crawley's Claw Ripper
Crocodile Speedorz

As others have mentioned. Creator sets are great general sets great for MOCs.

I notice a gap for any Super Hero and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit sets. I recommend the $20 sets especially the Lex Luther with Superman and Wonder Woman set.

I just ordered The Malevolence. I would rather go with something from the original trilogy but this one looks really awesome.

It didn't get very good review on Brickset so I skip it but it does looks interesting also I never find it at a really good price the best was around $99.99 during Christmas. (Which is about the same as Amazon's price now) Jabba's Palace is also 23% off on Amazon currently also so I ended up getting that and used the $15.00 gift card I got.... at $80.00 the set is more palatable. Like I said, I think Star Wars stuff are just about 30% overpriced ...

Let me know how you like it. I still have tons of LEGO Star Wars to built..

rallaren

It didn't get very good review on Brickset so I skip it but it does looks interesting but I never find it at good price the best was around $99.99 during Christmas. Jabba's Palace is also 23% off on Amazon so I got it and used the $15.00 gift card I got.... at $80.00 the set is more palatable. Like I said, I think Star Wars stuff are just about 30% overpriced ...
Well I have a thing for ships like that. Didn't know about any reviews though...

As for prices, yeah, I try not to think about that. It'll be my first SW set btw.

I've watched tons of reviews on youtube and looked up sets on web stores in the last few weeks. I'm having a bit of a Lego rush. First time I'm building since end 90s.

neonglow

Galaxy Squad
Mantis
Space Swarmer

Lego City
High Speed Chase
Fire Truck

Star Wars
AT-RT

Ninjago

Chima
Razcal's Glider
Crawley's Claw Ripper
Crocodile Speedorz

The best value are the $20 sets. The lone ranger stagecoach at $30 for later this year will be a good buy.
79108-1.jpg

Well I have a thing for ships like that. Didn't know about any reviews though...

As for prices, yeah, I try not to think about that. It'll be my first SW set btw.

I've watched tons of reviews on youtube and looked up sets on web stores in the last few weeks. I'm having a bit of a Lego rush. First time I'm building since end 90s.

Once you walk down this dark path it will forever dominated your destiny!

Since December, after I cleaned out my son's room and found all his old LEGO I have been buying and building them non-stop. I posted a few pages back all the purchased I done in the past three months. I try to just buy Star Wars set when they are on sale or at clearance.

Anyway let me know when you get it, I love those big ship also. (Super Star Destroyer is in my wish list).

rallaren

Once you walk down this dark path it will forever dominated your destiny!

Since December, after I cleaned out my son's room and found all his old LEGO I have been buying and building them non-stop. I posted a few pages back all the purchased I done in the past three months. I try to just buy Star Wars set when they are on sale or at clearance.

Anyway let me know when you get it, I love those big ship also. (Super Star Destroyer is in my wish list).
I built Quinjet yesterday after reading about it in this thread. Also a cool ship.

Sucks to not have any kids around who can play with them though, because of the cost and space.
I posted a few pages back all the purchased I done in the past three months.
Hah! That's awesome.

iZ6iwSQ.jpg

Some frantic sorting and building later. It's rather simple to go back to after doing modern builds, and not as detailed as the Barracuda, but it's a very iconic set and it was the first pirate set I got (for my birthday, almost exactly 24 years ago (or possibly 23, can't remember the year it got here)).

I'm vaguely thinking of updating it with modern torches and new faces for the soldiers...

Dragoshi1

Thanks for the suggestions, people!

I'll be heading to the stores today to look around.

And dang, I tried finding loose T-Rex from the Dino sets again, and people want 40+ dollars for it on Amazon and ebay...Eh, I'm better off finding the T-Rex Hunter or Defense HQ sets at that point.

Can we post links to sites where we can purchase stuff here?

I found the T-Rex Hunter set for $36.00, but I'm not sure if it is legitimate or not.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Best base!

Love the look of that set. The recent pirates set didn't seem to capture the charm of the older sets. Hopefully the next batch are an improvement.

wetwired

Where do you find the four leaf clover? At the store? So you have to search the store for it, and then get the discount? I am confused.

What is the lionhead piece at the top of the building?

Also, those inverted slopes under the main roof: I love the Fire Brigade-ish style with the circular tiles on each side to add decoration. But are those 1x2x2 slopes in upside down? I see the cheese slope going upside down under it, but I had not seen 1x2x2 slope pieces available in inverted so it is making me think those are attached to the back of the piece holding the cheese slope. Just curious as to the technique.

Fantastic looking stuff. Did you make a detailed interior as well?
Sorry I forgot to reply. Been balls deep in simcity

The lion piece is this one http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30274

Yeah they are 1x2x2 slopes upside down. They're connected from a single headlight piece in the grey section of the wall the another headlight piece is connected to that facing downwards. Then there's a single cheese slope on the bottom and the 1x2x2 sits upside down with its stud in the back of the headlight piece.

No plans for an interior at this stage. This has already cost me an arm and a leg and I still have to do the stay puft marshmallow man.

Jelly.

I want that Grievous minifig! Ship is awesome.

That mini fig is fantastic. I am not a prequel fan but when my nephew showed me the ship I was really impressed.

It is a long shot, but does anybody know of a store with a decent LEGO selection in Vero Beach FL? I am here for a few more days and want to drag the family away from the resort.

Marko723

Neo Member
The Canadian Costco web site has a few LEGO Sets on-line. Including the new Technic Grand Prix Racer. List price on the Lego site is $149.99CDN, Costco Price is $119.99 with free shipping.

They also have;

The Hobbit - The Goblin King Battle for $118.99

Costco.ca - Lego

Thank you to Flyingpig. He sent the contents of a PAB cup to me that contained nothing but red, yellow, and dark tan 2x2 tiles, and 1x2 lime green tiles. These things are gold for me, especially the dark tan. I sorted them out and need to count them, but there are so many tiles.

HUGE thank you to Flyingpig. I know that you do not want anything in return, but there is a return address on the box. In the next few weeks, you will receive something in return, whether you want it or not. I must repay you for the kindness you have shown by getting this stuff for me.

And yeah, special vehicles and animals are what I'm also mostly after.

The best creatures I know of right now are all $20 or less. The Creator Fierce Flyer 31004 and Prehistoric Hunters 6914 are both great. The latter is basically a brick built T-rex, and you can build it into a couple other dinosaurs, too. Shelob 9470 is probably the best creature out right now. It is a creepy looking very posable spider. If you like creatures, consider it even if you don't like LotR.

My favorite vehicle that's out now is also only $20: Space Interceptor 70701. It's a neat little spaceship with a ton of fun play features, like a cockpit that swivels so it is always facing up and can be removed to become a mini space ship.

Torhthelm Tídwald;49950411 said:
The best creatures I know of right now are all $20 or less. The Creator Fierce Flyer 31004 and Prehistoric Hunters 6914 are both great. The latter is basically a brick built T-rex, and you can build it into a couple other dinosaurs, too. Shelob 9470 is probably the best creature out right now. It is a creepy looking very posable spider. If you like creatures, consider it even if you don't like LotR.

My favorite vehicle that's out now is also only $20: Space Interceptor 70701. It's a neat little spaceship with a ton of fun play features, like a cockpit that swivels so it is always facing up and can be removed to become a mini space ship.
Shelob is a great set. So poseble. I also highly recommend Lex Luthor Power Armor. Normally $20, but on sale for $18 at Target this week.

And I finished sorting the PAB cup Flyingpig sent:
387 1x2 lime green tiles
199 2x2 red tiles
234 2x2 yellow tiles
243 2x2 dark tan tiles

Total: 1063 pieces. 1.4 cents per brick. Insane work by Flyingpig

iZ6iwSQ.jpg

Some frantic sorting and building later. It's rather simple to go back to after doing modern builds, and not as detailed as the Barracuda, but it's a very iconic set and it was the first pirate set I got (for my birthday, almost exactly 24 years ago (or possibly 23, can't remember the year it got here)).

I'm vaguely thinking of updating it with modern torches and new faces for the soldiers...

I had this set when I was a kid. Nice little dose of nostalgia there.

flyingpig

Neo Member
I would grab Shelob now if you want it, I'm guessing it will be disappearing along with Helm's Deep and Weathertop this summer to make room for the new sets.

Glad you found the tiles useful PhoncipleBone. Hope you can put them to good use. In hindsight more dark tan would've been better and more floor-like, oh well. Maybe some floor mosaics are in order?

It looks like the special 'find the shamrock' event is tomorrow, if there is a reasonable sale from that I may go back grab some sets and can pick up some more tiles if you want them. The wall also had the green bamboo leaves.

rallaren

Galaxy Squad
Mantis
Space Swarmer

Lego City
High Speed Chase
Fire Truck

Star Wars
AT-RT

Ninjago

Chima
Razcal's Glider
Crawley's Claw Ripper
Crocodile Speedorz

Have you looked at Monster Fighters? Might be interesting. Especially the minifigs and vehicles.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I keep checking Amazon Warehouse, and I keep seeing that Eiffel Tower. What is Amazon thinking with that price? BL has it for like, $650, new. I wish I could contact Amazon and be like, "Yo guys, FYI - that won't sell."

OK, it might sell...But I'm not PROUD of the fact that it might sell at that price.

Also, I'm contemplating my next purchase (during the wonderful double VIP). Given the current availability of sets, it will either be a modular (Pet Shop, Town Hall, Cinema), or the Tower Bridge. My concern regarding the Tower Bridge is that it does pop up on Amazon Warehouse. That and since I already own the Death Star and SSD, there aren't any other mega sets that I can think of being available at the moment.

Top Bottom