• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

leng jai

Are Lego ever going to fix the colour accuracy in their instruction booklets? Been building for years and still get confused half the time.

Messing about with minifigs and my new camera. Image dump incoming!

DSC_0385.jpg

The Mummified Punk struts his stuff!

DSC_0384.jpg

AAAAGH! Cap'n Zombie!

DSC_0383.jpg

...and Admiral Boniface!

DSC_0387.jpg

Oh, no! An unholy alliance!

DSC_0393.jpg

Ah, that's better - the cheerleader squad!

DSC_0445.jpg

Well, he's looking kinda calm...

DSC_0451.jpg

God, no! Watch out CaliguLEGO!

Is that supernatural set for sale anywhere? I gotta have it!!
I saw them at local Lego con, they told me they have a website also. It's call Brickstorms.com. They have several custom stuffs. I told them if they make Firefly set I am up for one. They also have a nice Ecto-1 kit.

They told me they are in Tacoma, Washington.

R-User!

Good way to reteach techniques learned in sets so you can use them in MOCs later. Also good for when you dont have any new sets to build and feel the need to build something. Anything.

I agree.

Changing the subject, I'm condensing all boxes into a few
Parent boxes, i.e. all Star Wars boxes into the Millenium Falcon/all City boxes into Police Station. I'm also going to condense many built sets throughout the week into a "Collective", then I'll have a ton of of options for my Brickerama Cinema! :) I hope you all like mine as much as I liked Phonciples; your Brickmax really fit in well with your Palace Cinema!

R-User!

I think this applies to everyone who wants to take advantage: I called my LEGO store today and asked about what the Four Leaf Clover Discount promotion entailed, and I was told that if you find the Four Leaf Clover on Thursday March 14 you will be eligible for 10% off of one item that day!!!

So if your jonesing for a set and if that deal is honored at your local LEGO Store, than you just saved yourself a little chunk of dollars!

Palace Cinema $135.00 which is $15 dollars off of MSRP which I suppose is good if you can't get your hands on a 10% off couple to be able to double up on the Double VIP rewards towards the end of March into early April.

Since I didn't decide what to get for my birthday, I bought a couple of minifigs just to have something to open - that way I still get a surprise. Turned out to be chicken suit guy (already had), evil alien space marine (no interest), Dr Jekyll (I can use his potion at least) and the knight (somewhat interesting).

neonglow

I think this applies to everyone who wants to take advantage: I called my LEGO store today and asked about what the Four Leaf Clover Discount promotion entailed, and I was told that if you find the Four Leaf Clover on Thursday March 14 you will be eligible for 10% off of one item that day!!!

So if your jonesing for a set and if that deal is honored at your local LEGO Store, than you just saved yourself a little chunk of dollars!

Palace Cinema $135.00 which is $15 dollars off of MSRP which I suppose is good if you can't get your hands on a 10% off couple to be able to double up on the Double VIP rewards towards the end of March into early April.

That's great for big purchases. Previous years it was $5 off $25.

Finally decided on two Bricklink orders: one with Shelob Attacks (mostly for Sam and the ring), Mirkwood spiders, Barrel Escape and Attack of the Wargs, and the other with loose minifigs of the rest of the fellowship + Theoden.

As someone so eloquently put it: that'll do it.

That leaves the Goblin King dwarves, Eomer and any upcoming figures such as Arwen and Eowyn for later.

wetwired

Another thought about your Ghostbusters Cuusoo:

The only reason that I noticed this is because I like to check your projects progress every couple of days, and when I checked it tonight, I noticed an odd occurence that I hadn't before...

I noticed that your Ecto-1 isn't in your main picture that shows up when you search for "ghostbusters" from the Homepage for Cuusoo's site, and it seems to have the full image cropped so that the words 30th Anniversary only show up as:

half of the letter "G" then "HOSTBUSTER" then half of the letter "S" --below that it looks like this:
almost all of the "3" missing then, "0 TH ANNIVERSAR" with the "Y" half missing as well.

Do you think that it would be hard to resize the font to be a bit smaller, so that all of the text fits into Lego Cuusoo's Cropped Preview Box? Just a thought.

I also wonder if people first saw your Ecto-1 in as full an image as possible (or in the background behind the Ghostbusters characters) in that initial picture that maybe they would be more inclined to click into it to check out all of your premise for your 30TH Anniversary Set! I'm just hoping that people aren't deciding not to click on your Cuusoo Ghostbusters Project just because they "only" see the four Ghostbusters characters in the Thumbnail, and falsely assume that your project is nothing more than just the 4 Main Characters. And your characters look fantastic, but I just wonder if showing Ecto first might entice them a bit more! :)

I hope you don't think that I'm being too hands on/pushy with any of my advice. I genuinely want to see your project get to 10,000, and especially before the other project from those other people who treated you ridiculously gets to 10k!!!

Anyway, I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds, and if you leave it as it is now, then no worries bro! :)

I've quickly fixed up that thumbnail image and put in ecto 1, there is new pics coming soon as I've completely enough of the Ghostbusters HQ Firehouse (the front and 1 side) that I can take a photo of it and pass it off as complete. So hopefully tonight I'll have some pics of that up on there too, Ideally one huge picture with the firehouse, ecto 1 and ghostbusters but the ratio of width to height that you're allowed on cuusoo isn't exactly the greatest to work with when composing photos :(

wetwired

I got lazy and took some quick snaps and quickly rephotoshopped the cuusoo main pic. I want to take better pics on the weekend, hopefully the ecto 1 lights will be here by then dammit.

thumb640x360.jpg

stage05.jpg

stage05a.jpg

stage05b.jpg

I rushed it cause I know I will do a proper photoshoot later and I just got simcity and want to play it :p

rallaren

Where do you find the four leaf clover? At the store? So you have to search the store for it, and then get the discount? I am confused.

I got lazy and took some quick snaps and quickly rephotoshopped the cuusoo main pic. I want to take better pics on the weekend, hopefully the ecto 1 lights will be here by then dammit.

thumb640x360.jpg

stage05.jpg

stage05a.jpg

stage05b.jpg

I rushed it cause I know I will do a proper photoshoot later and I just got simcity and want to play it :p

What is the lionhead piece at the top of the building?

Also, those inverted slopes under the main roof: I love the Fire Brigade-ish style with the circular tiles on each side to add decoration. But are those 1x2x2 slopes in upside down? I see the cheese slope going upside down under it, but I had not seen 1x2x2 slope pieces available in inverted so it is making me think those are attached to the back of the piece holding the cheese slope. Just curious as to the technique.

Fantastic looking stuff. Did you make a detailed interior as well?

R-User!

thumb640x360.jpg

stage05.jpg

stage05a.jpg

stage05b.jpg

I like the third and fourth pics a lot. I think I like the third the most because it really shows off the Ecto-1!

And I like the new thumbnail, but the Ecto-1 is still a bit small/hard to see (but then again I'm seeing it on my iPhone and not on a 17 inch laptop screen, so I'm not sure if it really is too small or not lol. :)

Great work so far on their Headquarters! If LEGO sold that set as a $150.00-/$200.00 set I would be preordering that mother on day 1! (and of course giving you 1-2 bucks in the process! ;) )

R-User!

You have to go to the Lego Store and find the four leaf clover somewhere in the store: and from what I was told it would be 10%off of 1 item for being "lucky enough" to find the clover!

I would call and ask your local Lego Store to find out if they are doing the same promotion (or, if they are allowed to do other promotions, what their promotion is...) Happy Discounts!

You have to go to the Lego Store and find the four leaf clover somewhere in the store: and from what I was told it would be 10%off of 1 item for being "lucky enough" to find the clover!

I would call and ask your local Lego Store to find out if they are doing the same promotion (or, if they are allowed to do other promotions, what their promotion is...) Happy Discounts!

Eh, thats cool. Will wait for May 4th still and pray the B-Wing is discounted then. Thank you for the information though.

I am just curios how LEGO handle property with movie tie-in that get cancel. In recent month, Hasbro have essentially cancel their entire Star Wars action figures line (I feel bad for them and I don't think they will recover unless they can hold out into 2015 when next Star Wars movie is schedule to come out). With Disney just cancel Clone Wars and 3D Star Wars, there would be no Star Wars media until the movie.

So the question is do LEGO usually just stick to the plan anyway at least for 2013 line up? Do Lucas (Disney) have any said in what set get put out? I know Hasbro plan get dictate a lot by Lucas and their toys always tie in with whatever grand plan Lucas have for the year. They have several Episode 2 tie in set coming along with I think couple of The Clone Wars set or will these get cancel due to lack of tie-in.

I am hoping we can get past the stupid unify packaging looks that Lucas have been dictate for the last several years. The ugly Maul mug from last year and this year we have stupid Yoda bouncing in the corner of everything Star Wars related merchandise. LEGO box art would have been better off without those distracting banner. (I enjoy packaging design).

I am just curios how LEGO handle property with movie tie-in that get cancel. In recent month, Hasbro have essentially cancel their entire Star Wars action figures line (I feel bad for them and I don't think they will recover unless they can hold out into 2015 when next Star Wars movie is schedule to come out). With Disney just cancel Clone Wars and 3D Star Wars, there would be no Star Wars media until the movie.

So the question is do LEGO usually just stick to the plan anyway at least for 2013 line up? Do Lucas (Disney) have any said in what set get put out? I know Hasbro plan get dictate a lot by Lucas and their toys always tie in with whatever grand plan Lucas have for the year. They have several Episode 2 tie in set coming along with I think couple of The Clone Wars set or will these get cancel due to lack of tie-in.

I am hoping we can get past the stupid unify packaging looks that Lucas have been dictate for the last several years. The ugly Maul mug from last year and this year we have stupid Yoda bouncing in the corner of everything Star Wars related merchandise. LEGO box art would have been better off without those distracting banner. (I enjoy packaging design).

I like the unified packaging design for each year. It gives you an idea as to what series something is in, and makes it stand out more on the shelf.

I like the unified packaging design for each year. It gives you an idea as to what series something is in, and makes it stand out more on the shelf.

Ugh, they are so ugly and take away from the uniqueness of each products I think. LEGO box looks just like toys from Hasbro and toys from some cheap candy toys etc. I don't see how it stand out more on the shelf when it looks just like all the other Star Wars toys. Also I think it shorten product life cycle and ruin the unity of the toys. The box for last year stuff looks so out of place with the current stuff.

LEGO can still do unify theme for each year or series but they shouldn't have to be dictate by Lucas which frankly have horrible taste in packaging design. Why would you want ugly Maul mug on top of OT Star Wars products or in recent design choice the bouncing Yoda to promote the ill-fate Episode 2 3D movie.

ghostmind

LEGO plans their sets out well in advance, since there is a lot of prototyping and design work that has to go into a kit, more so than an action-figure.

I would assume that their 2013 sets will release as planned, but that their 2014 plans will have likely changed somewhat. If the Clone Wars show has truly been cancelled (hopefully we will have confirmation on that today), then I would expect to see not see any CW sets next year, but rather a mix of PT and OT sets. Of course 2015 (2H sets I assume) will be dominated by the new movie.

LEGO plans their sets out well in advance, since there is a lot of prototyping and design work that has to go into a kit, more so than an action-figure.

I would assume that their 2013 sets will release as planned, but that their 2014 plans will have likely changed somewhat. If the Clone Wars show has truly been cancelled (hopefully we will have confirmation on that today), then I would expect to see not see any CW sets next year, but rather a mix of PT and OT sets. Of course 2015 (2H sets I assume) will be dominated by the new movie.

Action-figures get plan out just as long, I think the now cancel products line by Hasbro are plan since before last summer (so they can be show at Toys Fair in January) and get them into production. Some of those products are now on the shelves if they weren't the most ugliest they would make good investment since they are probably going to be in short supply. Walmart already clearance some of the stuff that just hit the shelves and I think there was news that Target plan to completely remove Star Wars from their aisle. Poor Hasbro even if some of the issue is their doing.

thumb640x360.jpg

The Ghostbusters HQ looks awesome! I hope your Cuusoo entry makes the cut.

Went to my parents house this weekend and I brought something with me. :D

295505_10151491279338tuknx.jpg

Can't wait to start rebuilding these old sets. :)

That would make Dr Forrester and some others happy. That is truly "mixing the bags". I'm mentally sorting the pieces.

Obviously, as The Hobbit released with plenty of sets originally meant for the latter half of movie one. I wonder how this will affect plans for movie two and three sets. With the Mirkwood sets already done with, will we see new sets for the movie one part? I could certainly see a White Council chamber (that connects to the Council of Elrond stuff), a Radagast sled, a new Azog figure or maybe a troll scene.

The announcement states that they are no longer producing episodes for Cartoon Network but are continuing production on new Clone Wars story arcs, so it's not exactly cancelled. Just changing networks (to Disney most likely).

All the new sets though are no longer TCW themed, and are using movie style faces. They pretty much are stopping production of TCW merchandise going forward though we still will get prequel era toys/sets, just no longer using the animated style

ghostmind

The announcement states that they are no longer producing episodes for Cartoon Network but are continuing production on new Clone Wars story arcs, so it's not exactly cancelled. Just changing networks (to Disney most likely).

The announcement also states that whatever remains is "bonus content", so I wouldn't expect another season - more along the lines of additional episodes in the Season 5 DVD/Blu, or via the Star Wars site as webisodes.

Additional sources are reporting:

1)Before cancellation work was ongoing on Seasons 6, 7 and 8.

2)They're finishing work on episodes close to completion, somewhere between 10-20 episodes, so no closure.

3)No decision as to how they're distributing those episodes, but presumable online.

4) Dave Filoni and George Lucas had recently worked out a definitive ending to the show, which we'll never get to see now.

5) Crew is being kept on for a couple of months until they finish, and many of them are then leaving Lucasfilm.

6) Two reasons for cancellation: Focus on Sequel trilogy era and the bottom line (the show was very expensive to produce).

Anyway, this is getting off-topic, so I'll take any further discussion to the Clone Wars thread.

Top Bottom