• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Cyrillus

Starting to get a craving for a technic Set, but my backlog consists only of non-technic sets. Thinking about the 4x4 crawler (mostly for the new motor after I do the build), but the F1 car looks like it might be the better build/display piece. Anyone have any thoughts, or should I just wait for this summer's sets?

I don't know if I can hold out for a sale on that mech. I bought all my Galaxy Squad set on sale and clearance prices. Speaking of that I still have Star Slicer to put together.

Well, since TRU has them now. And all LEGO is BOGO 50% off at TRU...

:)

Both my local TRU had all the new Galaxy Squad except for Galactic Titan, so you could get them all for cheaper.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Starting to get a craving for a technic Set, but my backlog consists only of non-technic sets. Thinking about the 4x4 crawler (mostly for the new motor after I do the build), but the F1 car looks like it might be the better build/display piece. Anyone have any thoughts, or should I just wait for this summer's sets?

what are you looking for from a technic set?

I'm building the crawler at the moment and it seems a fairly simple build - not so many pieces, but some nice gearbox work and steering etc (and the new servo motor of course). I think actually its a bit of fresh air building a technic set - there is less difficulty sorting pieces because there are usually only a few different types, the instructions are usually at a slower pace and you progress pretty quickly.

If you want something fairly technical but functional, the crawler is a good choice - the F1 car is a bit of a hybrid technic/system model. Or you could get the awesome mobile crane II - I had the original and it was nuts.

Quick and dirty late night iPad pics of Eradicator Mech:

The full mech and the bugs.

Side view of the mech. Why is that robot hanging off the back?

The main cockpit detaches to fly off...

And opens the bomb bay doors at the back to drop bug bombs!

Again, why is that robot hanging there?

WHA!? The robot cockpit tilts back onto the main body. The waist swivels around, and the arms switch directions. Now they have a flying bomber AND a badass mech squashing bugs!

Turn the grey cylinder at the back to make the gun rotate. The BFG for the robot attaches to the arm for extra firepower.

The pistols the human pilot dual wields are kept near the robot's cockpit. The other arm is a battery of five flick missiles.

Yeah, this set was pretty badass.

TripOpt55

Wow that set looks awesome. I had never taken a close look at it, so didn't know about the whole flipping the mech around with the ship out. Very cool.

Naka

LEGO must be really desperate to get people interested in Chima. I got a second one of those sets they are giving away. The first came when I got my Han minifig and the second with the B-Wing itself which was a separate box.

Storage photo bomb. Please let me know the proper etiquette for posting large amount of photos like this if this is frowned upon.

The multi-level display case from Container Store stacked. Series 1-6 with 2 series in each case. I can easily fit 32 in each but some are taken out to "play"and aren't in these photos.

Shows how the levels are stackable for different arrangements. I have mine in a step formation.

Overexposed so you can see how the widths are almost exactly 5 studs for each level.

Clearer photo of my other minifig storage solution. The four containers (from Walmart) behind it are all for minifigs and you can see how they are stackable.

Top view to show the "extra" space that the base plate doesn't cover.

My drawer solutions (from Walmart).

Left: I also sort with small plastic bags I got off Amazon and pile them in a drawer or container.
Right: Cheap sandwich and snack bags. 1x1 round plates in one bag, 1x1 modified plates in the other.

I started keeping items connected after I did some research and there's not supposed to be any long term effects to the clutching power. If anyone finds good info that it's not a good idea, please let me know! I can pack more in the drawers and it's so easy to find what I need this way especially for items I don't use very often.

Bulk pieces I place in plastic bags and put together with other bulk items in a plastic container.

Ironmask

When I stopped at tru before work and got the sets, I chatted with a mother and her kid looking for good sets.

Convinced them to get Lex Luthor armor, Power Mech Creator set, and Silver Mine Shootout. :)

you're forging good memories for this kid :)

also, since i don't have still the time to build the Sopwith Camel, i've decided to rebuild something out of the Power Mech Creator set. I'll post pics later, but now i have to congrats LEGO for the real good amount of pieces, Snot, junctions and colour variations of this set. Whenever i need a piece for something strange to do, here it is right in the box.
This is a really good starter set, for 19$ it's a bargain.

Quick and dirty late night iPad pics of Eradicator Mech:

The pistols the human pilot dual wields are kept near the robot's cockpit. The other arm is a battery of five flick missiles.

Yeah, this set was pretty badass.

Bring on the Galaxy Squad love. Glad LEGO is bringing more mechs/robots. Detachable and transforming features are fairly consistent in the GS theme. That is pretty cool transforming feature.

I will resist and wait for a good 25-30% sale before I get this. Tower of Orthanc and other sets coming...must resist.

Storage photo bomb. Please let me know the proper etiquette for posting large amount of photos like this if this is frowned upon.

This is awesome. Great collection! :)
You should show your sets you have!!

LEGO must be really desperate to get people interested in Chima. I got a second one of those sets they are giving away. The first came when I got my Han minifig and the second with the B-Wing itself which was a separate box.

I finally got my B-Wing today, and it came with a second Chima set. I am curious if my Han I had to order (since they didn't send it with either of my sets) is going to come with another Chima set. I really actually liked putting it together. Cool little set.

robjoh

EGzBKEml.jpg

Oh yeah! TRU also had new Castle, all the new Creator stuff too. Only Galaxy Squad they didn't get was the Titan.

I was strong. Almost got the new house and plane.

I would love to get a review on the tree house.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
So with the possibility of the Death Star going away.....I am for the first time thinking about purchasing it....I don't have space for it, or the money to buy it as I am looking to buy some land so it is a difficult choice...

Ironmask

Tonight after work.

can't wait.

also i've just wasted the budget dedicated for the new Creator sets..... for some old Creator sets :)

This girl is selling her collection for 100€

6753 - Highway transport
4998 - Stegosaurus
4894 - Mythical creatures
4995 - Cargo Copter

4953 - Fast Flyers
4994 - Fierce Creatures
6747 - Race rider

Since i don't have a lot of money around i asked for the bolded ones and was astonished that she asked only 50€ (around 60$) for them!!!
I'm really happy for the Highway transport, it was on my wanted list and it's impossible to find at a reasonable price. Cargo Copter was intriguing for the Winch brick and the rest is surely good for the presence of so many pieces and the almighty light bricks.

now, let's hope tomorrow to don't get any nasty surprise...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Perhaps we should start a new thread for LEGO storage. LOL

This is a pricey (too rich for my blood) but very cool option which coincidentally was just posted on thebrickblogger.
Each case is $25 but are specifically designed for LEGO/LEGO compatible.

http://thebrickblogger.com/2013/05/lego-minifigure-display-cases/

LEGO-Minifigure-Display-Case-with-More-Minifigures.jpg

LEGO-Minifig-Display-Case-Minifigure-Collection.jpg

Ahh, those are really nice. Slightly pricey at $25 + shipping from Hong Kong.

Alternatively I was thinking using Trumpeter display cases:

tr09809.jpg

DJ_Lae

Built about half of the b-wing last night - fun, although I don't know how keen I am on essentially building the same parts twice. I also knew it was going to be big but it's still surprisingly large.

No Chima set in the box, either. Not surprised, Lego hates Canada. I should be grateful what I ordered was even in the box.

Wow that set looks awesome. I had never taken a close look at it, so didn't know about the whole flipping the mech around with the ship out. Very cool.

That's the cool part of Galaxy Squad vehicle (good guys only, those poor insects), they all have docking/transforming feature.

Ahh, those are really nice. Slightly pricey at $25 + shipping from Hong Kong.

Alternatively I was thinking using Trumpeter display cases:

tr09809.jpg

I've seen similar ones also. Just not sure what dimensions were the best as some can get pricey and some are around the $10 range. I also was looking for something which fits LEGO dimensions snugly, but that isn't necessary thinking about it. Plates can easily be secured with some adhesive/sticky substance. Mine are all loose in the display case. Post some photos and the dimensions if you try one of them out.

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder... are lego-hobbyists upset if i tell that i just dump minifigs and their accesories. to same box. No cover, they're kinda dusty.

Wonder how much the pieces i have are worth (have a few boxes of legos (and yes, that's intentional, legos)). They take kinda lot space, don't have time nor interest to build anything (not now anyway).

I wonder... are lego-hobbyists upset if i tell that i just dump minifigs and their accesories. to same box. No cover, they're kinda dusty.

Wonder how much the pieces i have are worth (have a few boxes of legos (and yes, that's intentional, legos)). They take kinda lot space, don't have time nor interest to build anything (not now anyway).

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.11907026.4950/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I dislike requirement for being correct how to write lego. Smells too much like hardcore fanboyism, requiring getting it right that is.
Noted it was intentional because if i don't someone is going to start complaining about how it was written.

Ironmask

you should first clean those sets, put them on a sink of water and then remove the water using some centrifuge machine (i use a thing used in the kitchens to quickly rwmove water from salads).
Here starts the fun;divide the pieces by color and try to remember from what sets they are. Brickset.com is really useful for this. you neef to put the name of the piece and it will tell you on wich sets it is. Selling complete sets is much more lucrative, but also near complete sets. Else just sell the standard pieces per Kg and special pieces on bricklink.

I dislike requirement for being correct how to write lego. Smells too much like hardcore fanboyism

I don't think anybody particularly cares if you call them Legos (I do it too). Also you're posting on an internet web forum populated by (mostly) adults on the subject of a kids' toy. I think you're already there.

70404 King's Castle review (its YCF - sorry)

http://youtu.be/cZahbtlFq64

I really like the catapult on the castle feature.

The catapult is neat-I wonder if it stresses any of the pieces?

Many of the elements seem similar to the "spirit" of the Vampyre Castle. They weren't designed by the same team were they?

That's an unusual question as it depends on the each person individually. IMO, you can do whatever you please with your stuff as long as it doesn't harm my LEGO o_O. I'm sure Omega Man was just joking around that your way is "rebellious" compared to the more OCD of us.

Hope this doesn't spiral into a flame war. If it does, I hope it's at least entertaining.

I dislike requirement for being correct how to write lego. Smells too much like hardcore fanboyism, requiring getting it right that is.
Noted it was intentional because if i don't someone is going to start complaining about how it was written.

I was just joking because your first post is passive-aggresive and sort of defensive at the same time, nobody is going to judge you here, relax and have a nice time, pretty awesome people here, LEGO GAF is best GAF.

Woorloog

Banned
I was just joking because your first post is passive-aggresive and sort of defensive at the same time, nobody is going to judge you here, relax and have a nice time, pretty awesome people here, LEGO GAF is best GAF.

You'd be surprised, there's always someone who does judge and say it aloud too.

If not in this thread, then some other. Someone has complained to me before about "legos".
Perhaps annoying those who do have issue with incorrect spelling would work better without stating it was intentional.

Anyway. Sets. Alls sets (but that newest Luke's landspeeder) i have are in pieces probably, don't really remember.
Have quite many of the old (first) Star Wars legos, some (as in: a lot but less than SW) non-SW legos.
Unfortunately i probably don't have the boxes saved, or i they're somewhere, they ain't in good condition. And manuals... probably not good either.
I know for sure that i'm missing various pieces, easy to lose some over the years. And some are broken too. Not sure how though.
Wonder if i have anything that is now rare or hard to find. Anyone know any early SW lego that is wanted or something?

Regardless, i reckon i could make some money from the legos i have. Could really use that money. That said, it feels kinda wrong to even think of selling those things. Remember how fun it was to build legos as a kid.

ghostmind

You can sell bulk LEGO, but you won't get as much for it compared to if you sort it into its appropriate sets. Also if it is dusty/dirty or comes from a smoker environment, you won't get as much either. Having original boxes and instructions also raises the value.

Some Star Wars sets and individual minifigures are indeed worth quite a bit, but if parts are broken or missing the value is going to decline sharply. A Greedo minifig is going to fetch substantially more than R2-D2.

If you can figure out what sets you have, then we can advise you as to potential value.

So either take the time to sort it all out (and possibly clean it), or just sell it in bulk locally via Craigslist or similar.

70404 King's Castle review (its YCF - sorry)

http://youtu.be/cZahbtlFq64

I really like the catapult on the castle feature.

Why sorry? YCF did a good job of showing the set. "Let's ZOooom in!" LOL. Have to give them some props for trying out a signature catchphrase.

I know this has been discussed multiple times, but I really think LEGO did a great job on this set. It's target audience is not aimed at AFOLs IMO. It's a playset for younger kids and from that perspective, I believe that it is an awesome set that kids will love.

NO FLICK FIRE MISSILES. Both catapults are done using new (at least to me) techniques. It's a fully enclosed castle so it can be properly surrounded by a moat. Lots of little play features I think kids will eat up. I never had castle sets when I was a kid, but I almost want to get this set and pretend it's the castle I never got as a kid. It has the retro look of older castle sets.

You'd be surprised, there's always someone who does judge and say it aloud too.

Wonder if i have anything that is now rare or hard to find. Anyone know any early SW lego that is wanted or something?

Two things:

1) Omega is right-LEGO Gaf is best gaf. Nobody's going to flame you here.

2) Check www.bricklink.com to find out information (and part inventories) on your old sets. If you figure out that you have some that are intact, you can either sell them there, on eBay or (preferably) just post about it here. Good peeps in this thread.

Woorloog

Banned
You can sell bulk LEGO, but you won't get as much for it compared to if you sort it into its appropriate sets. Also if it is dusty/dirty or comes from a smoker environment, you won't get as much either. Having original boxes and instructions also raises the value.

Some Star Wars sets and individual minifigures are indeed worth quite a bit, but if parts are broken or missing the value is going to decline sharply. A Greedo minifig is going to fetch substantially more than R2-D2.

If you can figure out what sets you have, then we can advise you as to potential value.

So either take the time to sort it all out (and possibly clean it), or just sell it in bulk locally via Craigslist or similar.
I doubt my SW legos are missing pieces really, the older ones are a problem.
Sorting can be done... in theory... space is really an issue for me. Time.. not so much.
Two things:

1) Omega is right-LEGO Gaf is best gaf. Nobody's going to flame you here.

2) Check www.bricklink.com to find out information (and part inventories) on your old sets. If you figure out that you have some that are intact, you can either sell them there, on eBay or (preferably) just post about it here. Good peeps in this thread.

Hmm, perhaps i can list what i have based on set images alone.

EDIT well, can't access Bricklink for some reason.

ghostmind

Why sorry? YCF did a good job of showing the set. "Let's ZOooom in!" LOL. Have to give them some props for trying out a signature catchphrase.

I know this has been discussed multiple times, but I really think LEGO did a great job on this set. It's target audience is not aimed at AFOLs IMO. It's a playset for younger kids and from that perspective, I believe that it is an awesome set that kids will love.

NO FLICK FIRE MISSILES. Both catapults are done using new (at least to me) techniques. It's a fully enclosed castle so it can be properly surrounded by a moat. Lots of little play features I think kids will eat up. I never had castle sets when I was a kid, but I almost want to get this set and pretend it's the castle I never got as a kid. It has the retro look of older castle sets.

Of the Youtube reviewers, I feel that YCF is a bit too much sometimes. On the flip side, it is cool to see father&daughter having fun with it.

And you are right - the Castle isn't for me, but my younger self (back when I had the Galaxy Explorer and my cousin had the Big Yellow Castle) would have gone nuts for a set like this. Even for an AFOL this set has its charm.

Brick Show review of 31011 - Aviation Adventures:

http://youtu.be/EcTO9vrLLFw

Was not expecting that propeller action - very cool!
I am at work and can't watch it, but I almost snagged that and Family House instead of mech yesterday. Eventually. I need to take a break, because my wife is getting tired of me bringing stuff home now.

Edit: on break and skimmed the video. Whaaaaaaa? Working propellor? This is so bought this summer!

ghostmind

The set shot way up my list after the review - many more features than I was expecting, some cool-looking alt-builds (though I would like to see all 3 builds reviewed), and minifig-compatible!

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
I had an idea for a Lego tabletop game after seeing it done in a PDF, and basically you connect 4x4 plates together and add walls and doors, then you set each square off as a space and you can have minifigs go through and do a dungeon crawl. Those plates are looking pretty cheap on BrickLink, only like .04 cents each.

I was wondering if anyone had good ideas for a 4 wide wall, or maybe an 8 wide one. That might be better, for hidden doors and normal doorways.

Woorloog

Banned
OK, listed what Star Wars lego sets i remember having (looked at images, copied set numbers down). The rest are going to be more difficult to determine but i'll see if i can do that...

Star Wars, sets from 1999 to 2005 + one 2010 set, have more than one of some sets, unsure about a couple, one set has a broken piece for sure

7101 Lightsaber Duel
7110 Landspeeder 2
7111 Droid Fighter 3
7121 Naboo Swamp 2
7128 Speeder Bikes 2, small leaf pieces broken probably
7130 Snowspeeder 2
7131 Anakin's Podracer
7140 X-wing Fighter
7141 Naboo Fighter
7150 TIE Fighter & Y-wing
7161 Gungan Sub
7171 Mos Espa Podrace
7104 Desert Skiff 1 or 2?
7115 Gungan Patrol
7134 A-wing Fighter
7144 Slave I
7155 Trade Federation AAT
7180 B-wing at Rebel Control Center
7190 Millennium Falcon
7106 Droid Escape
7126 Battle Droid Carrier
7127 Imperial AT-ST
7146 TIE Fighter
7103 Jedi Duel
7113 Tusken Raider Encounter
7119 Twin-Pod Cloud Car
7133 Bounty Hunter Pursuit (broken mug and/or the piece for holding it)
7139 Ewok Attack
7143 Jedi Starfighter
7153 Jango Fett's Slave I
7201 Final Duel II
7204 Jedi Defense II ???
4477 T-16 Skyhopper 2
4479 TIE Bomber
7250 Clone Scout Walker
7251 Darth Vader Transformation
7255 General Grievous Chase
8092 Luke's Landspeeder

Tell me if there's something interesting.

And i'll reiterate, boxes and manuals might not exists, and i need to rebuild or look for the pieces for nearly all of these. EDIT and even if there's interesting stuff, going to take some time before i'm going to sell it, practical issues like re-assembling them will take time...

EDIT i'll be amazed if i got all of these right. Can anyone here list their owned sets just from watching pics?

jpatez34

Neo Member
So just ordered the last current UCS Star Wars sets: R2-D2 and the B-Wing.
Should get them early next week, will upload pics when they arrive.

Really cannot wait for Galaxy Squad now, the delay in releasing them in the UK is infuriating :-(

ghostmind

OK, listed what Star Wars lego sets i remember having (looked at images, copied set numbers down). The rest are going to be more difficult to determine but i'll see if i can do that...

Star Wars, sets from 1999 to 2005 + one 2010 set, have more than one of some sets, unsure about a couple, one set has a broken piece for sure

7101 Lightsaber Duel
7110 Landspeeder 2
7111 Droid Fighter 3
7121 Naboo Swamp 2
7128 Speeder Bikes 2, small leaf pieces broken probably
7130 Snowspeeder 2
7131 Anakin's Podracer
7140 X-wing Fighter
7141 Naboo Fighter
7150 TIE Fighter & Y-wing
7161 Gungan Sub
7171 Mos Espa Podrace
7104 Desert Skiff 1 or 2?
7115 Gungan Patrol
7134 A-wing Fighter
7144 Slave I
7155 Trade Federation AAT
7180 B-wing at Rebel Control Center
7190 Millennium Falcon
7106 Droid Escape
7126 Battle Droid Carrier
7127 Imperial AT-ST
7146 TIE Fighter
7103 Jedi Duel
7113 Tusken Raider Encounter
7119 Twin-Pod Cloud Car
7133 Bounty Hunter Pursuit (broken mug and/or the piece for holding it)
7139 Ewok Attack
7143 Jedi Starfighter
7153 Jango Fett's Slave I
7201 Final Duel II
7204 Jedi Defense II ???
4477 T-16 Skyhopper 2
4479 TIE Bomber
7250 Clone Scout Walker
7251 Darth Vader Transformation
7255 General Grievous Chase
8092 Luke's Landspeeder

Tell me if there's something interesting.

And i'll reiterate, boxes and manuals might not exists, and i need to rebuild or look for the pieces for nearly all of these. EDIT and even if there's interesting stuff, going to take some time before i'm going to sell it, practical issues like re-assembling them will take time...

EDIT i'll be amazed if i got all of these right. Can anyone here list their owned sets just from watching pics?

You should be able to get $25 to $30 for 7250 loose.

The Tusken Raiders in 7113 could fetch $10+ each if they are in good shape.

more thoughts as I have them...

Top Bottom