• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Soul4ger

Goodbye, LEGO Dark Ages... Hello LEGO Rennaissance!

I've been lurking here for a while. The Lord of the Rings/Hobbit/Marvel Super Heroes sets really caught my eye a year or so ago, and I've been looking for a reason to jump back into LEGO.

I had a rough day at work, plus I went to the dentist right after. :/ So on my way home following a long day, I decided to stop at Toys R Us to check things out. They had stuff that resembled old-school Castle, which, along with Pirates and Space, was the theme I really loved as a kid. I can see myself spending time making action scenes and dioramas with medieval flair. And everything was Buy One Get One 50% off! I couldn't hold out any longer.

Almost $200 later and I'm the proud owner of nine LEGO sets. I got two of the smallest Castle set, one of the wagon Castle set, two of the Gatehouse, the Spider-Man/Venom set, the Hulk set, the Daily Bugle set (Dr. Doom!), and a Lone Ranger wagon because it just looks cool. I have no idea where I'm going to put them. I just got engaged last Friday and I need to plan a wedding and get a house and look at honeymoon and newlywed stuff. But I figured now's as good a time as any to get started furnishing my playroo, er, office... Right? I hope my fiancée doesn't change her mind. ;^_^

ghostmind

I've been lurking here for a while. The Lord of the Rings/Hobbit/Marvel Super Heroes sets really caught my eye a year or so ago, and I've been looking for a reason to jump back into LEGO.

I had a rough day at work, plus I went to the dentist right after. :/ So on my way home following a long day, I decided to stop at Toys R Us to check things out. They had stuff that resembled old-school Castle, which, along with Pirates and Space, was the theme I really loved as a kid. I can see myself spending time making action scenes and dioramas with medieval flair. And everything was Buy One Get One 50% off! I couldn't hold out any longer.

Almost $200 later and I'm the proud owner of nine LEGO sets. I got two of the smallest Castle set, one of the wagon Castle set, two of the Gatehouse, the Spider-Man/Venom set, the Hulk set, the Daily Bugle set (Dr. Doom!), and a Lone Ranger wagon because it just looks cool. I have no idea where I'm going to put them. I just got engaged last Friday and I need to plan a wedding and get a house and look at honeymoon and newlywed stuff. But I figured now's as good a time as any to get started furnishing my playroo, er, office... Right? I hope my fiancée doesn't change her mind. ;^_^

Welcome aboard!

I wonder if you can sneak some LEGO onto the gift registry? }:)

Goodbye, LEGO Dark Ages... Hello LEGO Renaissance!

Bring her along for the Renaissance!
YGdskTY.jpg

Ainaurdur

Bring her along for the Renaissance!
YGdskTY.jpg

They has our Precious, and we wants it!

edit:
Also finally just had time to snap this picture of my haul from the last few weeks!
Silly S@H sending me two free CHI Battles sets.
Think I am going to open and start building one of the 3 bigger sets tonight. Any votes in the next hour or so to help me choose would be appreciated! :)
I am sure the answer is probably B-Wing.

Welcome to the thread!

I almost bought that Daily Bugle set today but the price was too high (in CDN dollars) when all I really wanted was the figs. I don't even know who Nova is but he's an awesome looking character. I debated between the Lone Ranger wagon and the Spidey/Venom set, and ended up with the latter because I wanted a Spiderman fig. That plus the LEGO Calendar and a few more series 10s pushed me over the $50 mark for that Iron Man poly thing.

Ghostmind is right with regard to your registry. The trick is to sneak unassuming LEGO companion pieces onto the list. Next time you're walking through the store with a zapper, hit a few of those shelves and keepsake boxes. You can blame it on your crazy aunt Dianne!

A warning: Don't ever post a message questioning the quality of a set you don't own, or indicating you're on the fence about a particular set. Half the crap I own is because someone in this thread said it was amazing.

And they were all right. Seriously.

Strange since it was in store for me in CT. :(
Well, I hope you get the sets you want soon.

Well turn out my TRU is just really suck. BOGO is in store, they just didn't get the promotion up because they don't have enough staff.

They also got free $10.00 gift card if you spend over $40.00, I don't know if you take advantage of that. That's why I went back today. I was just going to get the mech and get $10.00 gift card to use on other set, but when I ask the guy about BOGO, he said promotion is running but they didn't have the time to put up the sign. @_@

Anyway, pick up Family House and Galaxy Squad mech. I think I am going to use the $10.00 gift to get the Ironman Heartbreaker armor set. (the cheap one). I noticed TRU jacked up the price even more on all their licensed set.

I have spent $400 on Lego in two weeks. My credit card is weeping. I still might go back to TRU for Family House. I just need to sneak it past the wife.

frogg609

Welcome aboard! It's an amazing, albeit expensive ride.

I'm curious, how many times has someone gotten back into LEGO due to an illness or something? I had a week long stomach flu, and my wife bought me a LEGO Creator set. From there it was all over. :)

I sure hope so. :(

Somewhat related though, a coworker told me a few weeks ago that she knows someone who works at WB and was shown a photo of a green arrow minifigure from an upcoming set. I haven't seen it myself so it's all hearsay to me.

That's cool, but with so many existing archer minifigs I was hoping for one of the other well-known ones first. With the WB show about Green Arrow, I guess it makes more sense.

The addiction is strong in this one. Some of us are masters of stealth purchases, but that's not a way to start a marriage. Also, you can only hide it so long before the plastic just oozes out of all corners of the house. Once she accepts that, then it's easy to add stuff to the pile unnoticed for awhile. When she can't move in one of the rooms due to all the LEGO, she'll get suspicious again.

I just hopped in a few months ago as well...

I use to collect Bionicle from the beginning (also was a huge lego person up till the end of...) till the series went batshit weird. After that I kinda fell off from lego but always loved them.

I randomly started buying a few Hero Factory sets that I liked the pieces of, and now have jumped back into the Lego buying again mostly thanks to my LotR love and the fact that they finally made good Sandtroopers (i've always kinda liked star wars... but fuck, I love sandtrooper!). Also, the Lego Marvel Venom helped since my entire life I've been Venom obsessed.

so yeah...

oddly, I don't like most of the LotR smaller sets, but love the large ones. I only have the Moria set (walmart for $55!) and the bagged Gandalf from TRU. I want to get the Hobbit Warg and Bag End sets badly though but waitng for a drop...

Not you too! You were the last hope for those who thought we could one day not have to do that.
I came home with the mech and treehouse and my wife said "More Lego?" I told her they were on sale and released early. She rolled her eyes then let me build.

I think it is because of the two UCS in one day two weeks ago. If there was a longer lull, she would say nothing.

Ainaurdur

Just opened the B-Wing box and pulled out a bag marked 10. Started laughing hysterically. Happy hysterics mind you.

Going to listen to some Daft Punk while I build.

Mix those bags!

I have limited space here on my desk, but I do have a spare 6 qt. tub that I can use. Ok, I'll mix 'em!

Quick update: The 1400+ pieces do not all fit in one 6 qt. tub. XD

frogg609

I've seen some people complain about the "Your Creative Friends" YouTube channel (more on other forums tan here. Why the disdain? The one video I saw was mediocre, but I feel like I'm missing something.

Latest I found, post 1296

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75856&st=1275#entry1593900

It just seems odd to me. I think it's cool he has his daughter in them.

I was referring to the videos. :)

But glad to see some of the comments on other boards. I barely go into those other forums. There is a lot of nice info and neat stuff to find, but a bit too much elitism and negativity for my blood.

EDIT: I see the thread you linked has the videos embedded on the next page. Nevermind.

Just opened the B-Wing box and pulled out a bag marked 10. Started laughing hysterically. Happy hysterics mind you.

I listened to Daft Punk the entire time I built my R2. Now, every time I hear daft punk it brings me back to the build. Freaking awesome.

Ainaurdur

I listened to Daft Punk the entire time I built my R2. Now, every time I hear daft punk it brings me back to the build. Freaking awesome.

I love forming music/activity/memory associations like that.

I think mixed bag dementia is setting in, I am convincing myself that the piece I cannot find simply does not exist, and the directions are lying to me....
I must find it! Lose Yourself to Dance! ... and it showed up by the end of the song. :D

Done with the steps for bag one. As the two halves snapped together, then holding it out in my hand and seeing all 4 engines glowing together and the size it starts to take on. So good.
Enough for tonight, up too late already.

Mix those bags!

Do not give in to the dark side. The intense emotions caused by mixed bags can lead to the dark side. Frustration leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering.

Balance can be found by not sorting contents of each bag and not mixing the bags. In one of the deleted scenes in Star Wars prequels, Anakin went back to save his mother. He found one of his old unopened UCS LEGO sets. He mixed the bags. You know the rest of the story.

I have limited space here on my desk, but I do have a spare 6 qt. tub that I can use. Ok, I'll mix 'em!

Quick update: The 1400+ pieces do not all fit in one 6 qt. tub. XD

This was the disturbance in the force I felt earlier. Sad, I am.

Chuck

Still without luck
Building the Imperial Shuttle was frustrating with no numbered bags. I don't understand why you guys like mixing them. It doesn't make it more challenging it just makes it more tedious.

Fxp

Didn't plan to buy any Chima sets but could not pass the opportunity to buy these ones used/complete:

70004: Wakz' Pack Tracker
70006: Cragger’s Command Ship
70013: Razar’s CHI Raider
70012: Equila's Ultra Striker

€50/$65.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Building the Imperial Shuttle was frustrating with no numbered bags. I don't understand why you guys like mixing them. It doesn't make it more challenging it just makes it more tedious.

same. the UCS X-wing has lots of numbered bags which I like because it keeps the amount of loose lego on your table to a workable level. With the imperial shuttle I couldn't fit everything on my dining table, it was a nightmare. I enjoy an interesting and creative build, I don't enjoy playing hide and seek with 1x1 plates.

R-User!

same. the UCS X-wing has lots of numbered bags which I like because it keeps the amount of loose lego on your table to a workable level. With the imperial shuttle I couldn't fit everything on my dining table, it was a nightmare. I enjoy an interesting and creative build, I don't enjoy playing hide and seek with 1x1 plates.

Don't you love when a 1x1 piece finds its way INSIDE a fellow bricks' underside! It's allways fun finding those!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

Nice. Congrats on all items. I got back into LEGO last year about a month after I got married. She still loves me and deals with the habit. Just try and keep it in check as best you can. That or get her addicted.

For something that size I'd completely agree.

The B-Wing doesn't have a giant piece count so I mixed them to extend the time. I typically dump the pieces into empty box lids (like banker's boxes or beer flats) so it makes hunting pretty easy.

This way, you learn all about patience and satisfaction after hard mental and physical work, Chuck- San

Just keep each bag in a separate container, and occasionally combine the similar bags. With Imperial Shuttle I did some slight sorting before building, mainly to have space to work in. I sorted all the 1x1 bricks with holes in the side into a cup, and sorted all the long white technic beams into a cup. The rest of the containers were just individual bags and not mixed.

Was still a ton of stuff to keep track of, but kept it somewhat sane. Tower Bridge was the biggest non numbered bag build though. But thankfully easy to keep track of because most of it is just doubled up, so hunting was pretty quick.

EDIT: I REALLY want Family House. But looking at it closely, I think I have almost all the parts for it right now. I cant find the instructions online yet. If I find them, I will probably just build it with spare parts.

And then buy it later. :)

Well, LEGO GAF, I cracked. I ordered Red Five this morning. Other than buying a couple of WetWired's custom Tumbler models, this is my first purchase of LEGO in about 7 years. The last one I bought was 7664 TIE Crawler.

A little more than I wanted to pay, but I'm Canadian so LEGO likes to make us pay 25% more than Americans haha

I am getting a cool Iron Man promotion minifig though, so that's cool I guess.

Ironmask

Yesterday i've met the girl selling his son's lego collection. She said "the boy is now 15 and doesn't play with this toys anymore" (insert my full red face here). She was so kind for willing to sell me the whole sets for the same price we decided prior, but i decided to put another 20€ for her kindness.

LEGOGAF now i ask for advice: how do i sneak all this stuff at home?!?

zomg.jpg

in every plastic box there is a complete set, with a post-it indicating the set's number. Everything is dust-free, not a single tooth mark so far, no major pieces missing, it's incredible that all this sets belonged to a 15yrs old kid!

Well, LEGO GAF, I cracked. I ordered Red Five this morning. Other than buying a couple of WetWired's custom Tumbler models, this is my first purchase of LEGO in about 7 years. The last one I bought was 7664 TIE Crawler.

A little more than I wanted to pay, but I'm Canadian so LEGO likes to make us pay 25% more than Americans haha

I am getting a cool Iron Man promotion minifig though, so that's cool I guess.

ermUkmA.gif

On a different note, TRU Canada has Monster Fighters on sale. This includes Haunted House, which is on sale for $168. Sadly, it looks sold out, but it is something to keep an eye on, as that is even lower priced than in USA.

Yesterday i've met the girl selling his son's lego collection. She said "the boy is now 15 and doesn't play with this toys anymore" (insert my full red face here). She was so kind for willing to sell me the whole sets for the same price we decided prior, but i decided to put another 20€ for her kindness.

LEGOGAF now i ask for advice: how do i sneak all this stuff at home?!?

Nice find.

Does your wife sleep? Problem solved.
Does she leave earlier for work or come back home later? Problem solved.
You can always do one set a week.

I carry a backpack to and from work so it's easy for me to bring in small sets home unnoticed. No, that's not the main reason I bring a backpack. :)

Last (planned) Bricklink order arrived... and it's missing two blue mechanic caps. So I'm still missing stuff. Argh.

Some stuff I would like to have now, but I'll wait until July I think. Will probably get Council of Elrond right along with Orthanc, and if I get a new job I'll treat myself to the Corsair ship too :D

The premise sounds interesting. Maybe I'll give it a shot during the summer television drought.

DOOOOO ITTTTT! The first season is good, but it isn't until near the end of season 1 that it finds its feet. The second and third season are great, but four and five are the best. Season 6 and 7 were pretty disappointing with a few gem episodes in there.

Top Bottom