• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

R-User!

I know,I got all excited about dropping $600.00 on LEGO for nothing :(

I'm on hold with with TRU customer service: about to get to Level 3 customer service; attempting to get Tower Bridge and Town Hall for 168$ each. Alerting them to the Bait and Switch their website is doing.
11-25-12 Buy 1 Get 1 50% off ALL LEGO Construction Sets and Board Games.

I took a screen shot on my phone of their description!!!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I'm on hold with with TRU customer service: about to get to Level 3 customer service; attempting to get Tower Bridge and Town Hall for 168$ each. Alerting them to the Bait and Switch their website is doing.
11-25-12 Buy 1 Get 1 50% off ALL LEGO Construction Sets and Board Games.

I took a screen shot on my phone of their description!!!

I read that as all Construction and Board game sets. Not all LEGO.

Deefuzz

New Hobbit poly, in case you somehow never got a Gandalf.

VCB07.jpg

I never did get any LOTR sets but have considered Bag End. I like that little map tile he's holding though. But I'm sure that piece must be available in one of the other sets?

My wife fell asleep before we could crack the Winter Toy Shop. Canadian football championship game is tomorrow night, so hopefully we can get started Monday.
I'm going to the game with my father and brother! We're all lifetime diehard Ti-Cat fans, so we're rooting for the Stamps. Cuz nobody blows like the Aaaaaaaaaaarrgoooooooooooos! It's been a long time since we've been to any kind of sporting event at the Rogers Centre where it's been a sold out crowd. SO looking forward to it! My daughter is super excited that the Biebs and Carly Rae Jepsen are singing during the half-time show. Me... not so much...

R-User!

I read that as all Construction and Board game sets. Not all LEGO.

Well if I could upload you the image (on an iPhone and can't be troubled to do all that I would; but I'll link you to the text:

http://www.toysrus.com/category/ind...t-1-50-off-the-brands&ab=TRU_Header:Home-Page

It says below the Big Banner:
11/25/12 Buy 1 Get 1 50% off ALL LEGO Construction and Board Games

And below that is a listing of;

LEGO Lord of the Rings
LEGO City
LEGO Star Wars
LEGO Super Heroes

Show More

The show more includes the Creator Category
In the Creator Category are the Modulars and Trains and VW

That means that anything nested in that category should qualify for the B1G1 promotion!!!

Chris R

Didn't really see much of anything on sale that interested me... When was that huge sale on Lego earlier in the year?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I never did get any LOTR sets but have considered Bag End. I like that little map tile he's holding though. But I'm sure that piece must be available in one of the other sets?
It debuted in the Indiana Jones sets and then reappeared in the Pirates relaunch. I don't think it's any active sets though?

The map should be pretty cheap on Bricklink- I cant get on the site atm :(

R-User!

I GOT THE TOWER BRIDGE AND TOWN HALL FOR 25% OFF EACH!!!

176.25 for Tower Bridge
149.99 for Town Hall

!!!

After an hour on the phone divided by three reps, the third rep honored the B1G150%off deal.

Free shipping: latest I'll receive the sets is Dec 7th; earliest is Dec 3rd!! :)

Deefuzz

It debuted in the Indiana Jones sets and then reappeared in the Pirates relaunch. I don't think it's any active sets though?

The map should be pretty cheap on Bricklink- I cant get on the site atm :(

Ah gotcha. Yeah that makes sense. I guess I can just snag this polish whenever it surfaces locally. If I end up with an extra Gandalf then I will just have one to put on my desk at work as well. :)

ghostmind

Ah gotcha. Yeah that makes sense. I guess I can just snag this polish whenever it surfaces locally. If I end up with an extra Gandalf then I will just have one to put on my desk at work as well. :)

It's also in the Queen Anne's Revenge and the Vampyre Castle, if you have either of those.

How about a lame promo with the train tracks:
Free Shipping when you use your R'us Card!!!

Instead of listing below the track thumbnail the BOGO50%off text they actually out the R'us Card promo there... I was looking at it in my app. Maybe it actually does qualify for the BOGO, but I don't know.

Edit: and the same Free Shipping with the use of your R'us Card text is below the Modulars as well... -_-

So bodine I don't think that you could "break the piggy bank" even if you wanted to :(

Once again, TRU and their "sale" mislead everyone. Not only are the "Hard to Find" sets not included because they have the "free shipping" promo attached, but other things like train tracks and power function pieces dont work because of the same promo.

When was the last time TRU actually had a true, honest to god BOGO 50% off sale? It has been at least six months from what I remember. I know Star Wars was not in that last one, but at least the modulars and many of the other super sized sets were.

Why do I keep buying stuff from them when almost every single time there is a promotion it winds up being a sham because they find some way to exclude the stuff that I want? Maybe it is because they are the only place in town that actually gets mini figs and sets early.

176.25 for Tower Bridge
149.99 for Town Hall

!!!

After an hour on the phone divided by three reps, the third rep honored the B1G150%off deal.

Free shipping: latest I'll receive the sets is Dec 7th; earliest is Dec 3rd!! :)

So basically, yell and complain to them to make them actually honor the sale that is advertised and they will honor it?

Congrats on getting two awesome sets for cheap, but the fact that you had to go through all that to get the promotion in the first place is ridiculous.

There is another printed tile like that in Town Hall. Cannot remember if it is a map or a "painting." Town Hall does come with a globe though.

R-User!

So basically, yell and complain to them to make them actually honor the sale that is advertised and they will honor it?

Congrats on getting two awesome sets for cheap, but the fact that you had to go through all that to get the promotion in the first place

I agree :/

I agree :/

It is bad enough that they mark things up so much, and seem to be raising prices on things. But the duplicitous advertising is just sickening. I complain about it often, so I sound like a broken record. It is also sickening because so many people do not know that TRU gets away with stuff like that or know that they are overspending on their stuff there.

It is one thing to buy something at regular price at a store but know another store has it on discount but it is far away. But when nearly everything at TRU is more expensive than the MSRP then it is disgusting and they are taking advantage of parents that really have no other options.

Ainaurdur

Maersk is gone gone now. Imperial Shuttle is next on the chopping block it seems. If you can, jump on both.

Will post Maersk pics later.

I fear I must admit to personally having no interest in the Shuttle. I think I may pull the Maersk trigger though.

edit: HNNNG. I just noticed the Sith Fury-class Interceptor is $74 right now. Want. I do like some of the Star Wars stuff, just not a fan of the Imperial Shuttle.

I fear I must admit to personally having no interest in the Shuttle. I think I may pull the Maersk trigger though.

Shuttle is only if you are a Star Wars fan. It is an interesting build, and once done it is a thing of beauty. One of the greatest display sets currently out there. But if Star Wars is not your thing, then save money for other stuff.

Maersk was my first train ever and I built it Friday night. That thing was a work of art to build. At least the engine car was. The only real demerit I will give the set is the stickers, but it would look weird without them on.

R-User!

It is bad enough that they mark things up so much, and seem to be raising prices on things. But the duplicitous advertising is just sickening. I complain about it often, so I sound like a broken record. It is also sickening because so many people do not know that TRU gets away with stuff like that or know that they are overspending on their stuff there.

It is one thing to buy something at regular price at a store but know another store has it on discount but it is far away. But when nearly everything at TRU is more expensive than the MSRP then it is disgusting and they are taking advantage of parents that really have no other options.

Yeah I told them that I'm sure they didn't mean to mislead their customers but they did put the word ALL Lego construction sets and I also used the words "bait and switch" and "expecting something to be on sale and it not turning up to be on sale" and the words "misleading". Those words helped I think ;)

Ainaurdur

Just made a hard decision. Not going to get the Maersk. Will let it simply pass me by and fade away.

I realized the Monster Fighters Ghost Train that my nephew wants was also on sale, so I got that for him and the Sith Fury-class Interceptor for me. Cheaper this way. I need to be more careful about where I put my money, making sure I get the sets I really want versus the ones I only kinda like.

edit: HNNNG. I just noticed the Sith Fury-class Interceptor is $74 right now. Want. I do like some of the Star Wars stuff, just not a fan of the Imperial Shuttle.

Find a BN with the Sith Fury in stock.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/toy...ss-interceptor-9500/24892905?ean=673419167970

Check which store has it, have them hold it. There is a 30% off coupon that works until end of day today. That will take the set to $64.40. Cheapest price out there. Even on the front page of the site there is a coupon to get 30% off the site, so you can try ordering there.

PS: Some stores also have the Ghost Train, but you cannot find it on the website. You need to call the store.

Ainaurdur

Find a BN with the Sith Fury in stock.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/toy...ss-interceptor-9500/24892905?ean=673419167970

Check which store has it, have them hold it. There is a 30% off coupon that works until end of day today. That will take the set to $64.40. Cheapest price out there. Even on the front page of the site there is a coupon to get 30% off the site, so you can try ordering there.

PS: Some stores also have the Ghost Train, but you cannot find it on the website. You need to call the store.

The SFI on the site is sold by a third party seller so it is not valid for the coupon. And there is no way I will be able to make it to a store today. On vacation with family.

The SFI on the site is sold by a third party seller so it is not valid for the coupon. And there is no way I will be able to make it to a store today. On vacation with family.

Oh well. I know many stores have it in stock (you can check on the product page if a store near where you are on vacation), but since the coupon expires today it doesnt help.

Oh shit, I just impulse bought the Imperial Shuttle for $210.

240px-Darth_Vader.jpg

This will be a day long remembered.

ghostmind

This Tuesday could see a huge influx of 2013 LEGO sets at retailers (TRU, Walmart, Target, etc).

LEGO stores and S@H should have all The Hobbit sets out on Tuesday as well, but I am not sure about the other 2013 sets as they have stricter rules about when things can go out on shelves.

Maersk Cargo Train

Sold out on Lego.com, which means it is a goner. You can still find it on Amazon and other sites for MSRP or less right now.

The main engine.

The canopy is easily removable to put a conductor in there.

Reverse angle of the main engine.

Now here is where the only negative of the set comes in. STICKERS! There are tons of them. Some are fine, like the small numbered ones visible in this pic. But some, while looking great, will never be usable again if you disassemble the set. See the log on the front there? That is one giant sticker spread across 8 bricks. The set would look odd without it, so I applied it. But it is disheartening to know that the sticker will never get used again if I take the set apart.

The cargo cars. Once again, stickers strike! The Maersk logo is one giant sticker spread over 3 1x12 bricks.

Obviously the refrigerated container.

Empty containers, just waiting to be filled with mini figs for all your LEGO human trafficking.

STICKERS! However, these are small and only on single bricks. And the mud flaps are a really nice touch.

Mr. Cool behind the wheel.

The full train in all its glory.

The side panels removed to show off the engine. Also for easy access to add power functions eventually.

Overall, amazing set. The engine is of course the highlight. The cargo cars are fun, but a definite step down from the main engine. Some really neat building techniques in the entire set, and TONS of SNOT in the main engine. Also, the set was much larger than I anticipated.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Thank you to all that were hyping this over the months.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

176.25 for Tower Bridge
149.99 for Town Hall

!!!

Nice, Grats.

Hmm put the Big Rig Truck Stop together and was a tad dissapointed. Haha, I think I need to skip out on some of these older town sets, they're a bit too plain at times for my tastes. The trucks are kinda cool though!

Calm Killer

What's the cheapest that anyone's seen Tower Bridge or Town Hall for?

Tower Bridge: sub $180?
Town Hall: sub $150?

Town Hall was on sell for 134 at walmart a few months ago. Sold out quickly. I got tower bridge for 178 from Walmart.

I'm going to the game with my father and brother! We're all lifetime diehard Ti-Cat fans, so we're rooting for the Stamps. Cuz nobody blows like the Aaaaaaaaaaarrgoooooooooooos! It's been a long time since we've been to any kind of sporting event at the Rogers Centre where it's been a sold out crowd. SO looking forward to it! My daughter is super excited that the Biebs and Carly Rae Jepsen are singing during the half-time show. Me... not so much...

I just found out I'll be in one of the boxes! I also have promised to send my oldest some pics of the Biebs.

To keep it on topic, I am giving the guy who got me the tickets some duplicate figs as payment. So Lego.

Went for a coffee at Chapters here in Montreal, ended up buying 10 minifigures and the mini interceptor. Most expensive coffee ever.
My millennium Falcon should arrive tomorrow, later in the week my complete minifigures series 1 that I ordered trough Bricklink should arrive as well.
Later today I will attempt to build the X-Wing if my 3 years old allow me to do so.
Damn you LEGO, Damn you!!!!

R-User!

Town Hall was on sell for 134 at walmart a few months ago. Sold out quickly. I got tower bridge for 178 from Walmart.

Interesting. I could have saved 18 bucks getting them at those prices, but knowing that I only spent 18 more than the cheapest they've been still feels really good! :)

ghostmind

Including horizon express?

I didn't ask them to specify, but I would think that Horizon Express will be January 1st, as it is Creator Expert, which is different.

In fact, LEGO is now calling many of their 10000-series sets (including the modular buildings) Creator Expert retroactively.

I will check the store on Tuesday and report back.

bodine1231

Tempted to call TRU to get them to B1G1 on Death Star and SSD. However I think I'd rather have Town Hall,Pet Shop,Imperial Shuttle and Haunted House (bought from various places) for my 600.00.

R-User!

Tempted to call TRU to get them to B1G1 on Death Star and SSD. However I think I'd rather have Town Hall,Pet Shop,Imperial Shuttle and Haunted House (bought from various places) for my 600.00.

You might be on the phone for an hour like I was... Funny thing is about half the call was waiting for the next rep to come on the line; it's as if they think they can wait you out and you'll hang up!!!

I didn't ask them to specify, but I would think that Horizon Express will be January 1st, as it is Creator Expert, which is different.

In fact, LEGO is now calling many of their 10000-series sets (including the modular buildings) Creator Expert retroactively.

I will check the store on Tuesday and report back.

Hopefully the sets will show up S@H too. Then my wife can order a few as my Christmas gift!

R-User!

6955 pieces for $600 bucks, or
9365 pieces for $600 bucks!!!

Can you get those four sets for 600?!

The day that I have $600 to spend on LEGO, guilt free, willbe a glorious day. But I don't think it will ever happen...

The key phrase you have there is "guilt free." it will never happen.

Here are some shots of the VW campervan after being built. It was a pretty awesome build.
http://min.us/mxRZBOhEFWkm0

Now to decide if I really want to get the Maersk train to keep.
Get Maersk while you can. It really is great. Hopefully my pics were evil enough.

bodine1231

6955 pieces for $600 bucks, or
9365 pieces for $600 bucks!!!

Can you get those four sets for 600?!

I can get Haunted House used for 150 locally on Craigslist (just bought it,in fact)
Shuttle for 210 on Amazon
Town Hall 200
Pet Shop 75 (b1g1)

So a little over 600 but close enough

R-User!

I can get Haunted House used for 150 locally on Craigslist (just bought it,in fact)
Shuttle for 210 on Amazon
Town Hall 200
Pet Shop 75 (b1g1)

So a little over 600 but close enough

It's basically the same cuz of tax on 600 or tax on 485; either way about the same, but you get a lot more build for your buck!

bodine1231

It's basically the same cuz of tax on 600 or tax on 485; either way about the same, but you get a lot more build for your buck!

Yeah. Well,since I just bought the Haunted House for 150.00 I think I'll get the Imperial Shuttle on Amazon. I also just sold my 3DS and games so thats another 255,spend it on lego? Hmmm....

Really liking the Galaxy Squad if only for the building techniques they are using. The whole 2 vehicles in one is something I always tried as a kid.

Not done any BL orders for a little while so went a bit mad. All in I made 5 orders and it will come to about £100. 1 mini-fig and 656 pieces. Made up for the lack of bargains over the weekend and I'll just about to scrape in with a small store order tomorrow after work to get the freebie and PAB box.

Getting closer to finishing my starfighter moc and will post pics again soon.

Top Bottom