• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Theonik

Get Maersk while you can. It really is great. Hopefully my pics were evil enough.
After your pics and being bitter at missing the Emerald Night. I am mighty tempted. My main reservations is that I don't know if the price on Amazon.co.uk is the RRP and that I'd have to wait at least a month until I can build. (and have to tracks)

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
I am particularly jealous that the Galaxy Squad sets are already out in the US.

Will take a while to appear here in the UK, I'm assuming - or at least not arrive until after Boxing Day, the way the Super Hero sets did last year.

Hope amazon gets the new sets on Tues... will be F5ing all morning

I would be Amazon wouldn't, but third party sellers probably will.

Also, from LEGO.com:

LEGO said:
Share your LEGO story in the LEGO Progress Report 2012

In this year’s edition of the LEGO Progress Report we present our sustainability efforts in 2011.

LEGO play is, at its core, a process of hands-on, minds-on creative exploration and in the LEGO Group we have strong opinions about play. That is why we want to include ‘your best LEGO story’ which can be a story about a building experience, a product, the company itself - or something completely different.

The chosen stories will feature in the report, available from the 21 February 2013. Authors of selected entries will be notified in advance.

Format: It has to be your own story and documented by a picture and a short description (no more than 200 characters).

Submit your story to: Morten.vestberg@LEGO.com before Thursday 29 November at 12 noon (CET).

Hope amazon gets the new sets on Tues... will be F5ing all morning

Same here. The wife has gone record to say that she'll buy me $100 worth of LEGO for Christmas. So that should equal out to the "Bug Obliterator" and one of the smaller sets. I also $15 credit in VIP points, but I'd rather keep stock piling those.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
A fragile Star Destroyer???

That doesn't sound good at all...

The USC 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer from 2002 used magnets the hold it together. No swooshing. Display only.

MisterNoisy

Hit up the LEGO store in Charlotte while I was visiting family and picked up the mini-modulars set for $64.

Building it tonight to help decompress from the nine hour drive.

bodine1231

The USC 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer from 2002 used magnets the hold it together. No swooshing. Display only.

Damn that sucks!

I almost bidded on a UCS AT-ST on eBay for 90.00 complete with box but I had to remind myself that I just bought the Imperial Shuttle,Haunted House and the Imperial Star Destroyer TODAY,so I need to slow the hell down for now. I'm not even done with the first floor of the Fire Brigade that I started on a week ago.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Hit up the LEGO store in Charlotte while I was visiting family and picked up the mini-modulars set for $64.

Building it tonight to help decompress from the nine hour drive.

Nice, I picked one up as well from s@h. It says it has shipped. I'm excited to put it together. I really want to get the oop modulars to match the mini.

2/3 of Diagon Alley done. Moving onto the final building. Great, interesting little builds so far.

EDIT: Also, wish I had jumped on the mini modular sale this weekend. But that money went to grabbing Queen Anne's Revenge. Friend is picking it up tonight for me. Should have it Tuesday.

Calm Killer

Damn that sucks!

I almost bidded on a UCS AT-ST on eBay for 90.00 complete with box but I had to remind myself that I just bought the Imperial Shuttle,Haunted House and the Imperial Star Destroyer TODAY,so I need to slow the hell down for now. I'm not even done with the first floor of the Fire Brigade that I started on a week ago.

I understand. I went a bit crazy there as well. My wife has tried to stope recently. She's had mixed results. The good thing is I almost have everything I want, or I'm worried about going oop. I want xwing, tie fighter, millennium falcon and town hall and I am all caught up. I can wait for all of those.

Calm Killer

Maersk Cargo Train

Sold out on Lego.com, which means it is a goner. You can still find it on Amazon and other sites for MSRP or less right now.

The main engine.

The canopy is easily removable to put a conductor in there.

Reverse angle of the main engine.

Now here is where the only negative of the set comes in. STICKERS! There are tons of them. Some are fine, like the small numbered ones visible in this pic. But some, while looking great, will never be usable again if you disassemble the set. See the log on the front there? That is one giant sticker spread across 8 bricks. The set would look odd without it, so I applied it. But it is disheartening to know that the sticker will never get used again if I take the set apart.

The cargo cars. Once again, stickers strike! The Maersk logo is one giant sticker spread over 3 1x12 bricks.

Obviously the refrigerated container.

Empty containers, just waiting to be filled with mini figs for all your LEGO human trafficking.

STICKERS! However, these are small and only on single bricks. And the mud flaps are a really nice touch.

Mr. Cool behind the wheel.

The full train in all its glory.

The side panels removed to show off the engine. Also for easy access to add power functions eventually.

Overall, amazing set. The engine is of course the highlight. The cargo cars are fun, but a definite step down from the main engine. Some really neat building techniques in the entire set, and TONS of SNOT in the main engine. Also, the set was much larger than I anticipated.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Thank you to all that were hyping this over the months.

Looks great. Mine came in last week and is sitting in my office for later. I really wish I could afford two. One to build for display. Use the other for parts or resell later to buy other sets. I guess technically 3 would have been good.....

The stickers really suck. Makes it so you can not disassemble. This makes me sad. Looks great though. Such a good set. Making waiting to out it together harder for me.

R-User!

Damn that sucks!

Do you mean Super Star Destroyer? SSD?

bodine1231

Do you mean Super Star Destroyer? SSD?

No no,6211. The SSD is at 350 on Amazon,which is tempting,but if the Death Star ever drops to 300 its mine no matter what. I'll dip into savings for that deal.

I understand. I went a bit crazy there as well. My wife has tried to stope recently. She's had mixed results. The good thing is I almost have everything I want, or I'm worried about going oop. I want xwing, tie fighter, millennium falcon and town hall and I am all caught up. I can wait for all of those.

Once I get the Death Star I'll be caught up with close to OOP sets that I want. Then I can get the rest at my leisure.

That Maersk train is beautiful.

I'm going to have to steer clear of the Lego train stuff however, as I know it will just begin an expensive hobby which I have neither the room or funds to support haha..

Calm Killer

No no,6211. The SSD is at 350 on Amazon,which is tempting,but if the Death Star ever drops to 300 its mine no matter what. I'll dip into savings for that deal.

That is the 2006 set that retailed for 99.99. Not the ucs set. I see one on eBay for 260.

Edit. eBay is as low as 99.99.

Tortfeasor

Just ordered the Town Hall for myself as my first hobby set. I've been buying Legos for my 5 year old for the last few years and lusting over some of the more complex sets. I bought it today and told my wife it was her Hannukah gift to me :) .

Calm Killer

Just ordered the Town Hall for myself as my first hobby set. I've been buying Legos for my 5 year old for the last few years and lusting over some of the more complex sets. I bought it today and told my wife it was her Hannukah gift to me :) .

If you are into the modulars you have to get fire brigade. It's an amazing build. Bone swears by the second floor. (Rightfully so). It is a must have being the oldest modular in production.

bodine1231

That is the 2006 set that retailed for 99.99. Not the ucs set. I see one on eBay for 260.

Edit. eBay is as low as 99.99.

I meant the UCS AT-ST for 90.00,the Destroyer I picked up in a trade.

If you are into the modulars you have to get fire brigade. It's an amazing build. Bone swears by the second floor. (Rightfully so). It is a must have being the oldest modular in production.

It's also the cheapest of the modulars,129.99 I believe and can possibly go oop soon.

Dammit, Phonc! First you make us like (and purchase) Fire Brigade, and now you tempt us with the Maersk train.

WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END?!?!

Awesome pics, too!

Dammit, Phonc! First you make us like (and purchase) Fire Brigade, and now you tempt us with the Maersk train.

WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END?!?!

Awesome pics, too!

Don't place all the blame for Maersk on me. I gave into Ghostmind and a few others on that one. They have been pimping it for some time. It was Horizon Express that gave me the train itch, so I figured I might as well get this set.

And as others pointed out, look at it as a static model and it will be easy not to go overboard with train stuff. I am tempted to take apart the last two cars for parts and have only the engine on display. Due to the nature of the stickers on the engine, it is not going anywhere.

Deefuzz

Maersk Cargo Train

Sold out on Lego.com, which means it is a goner. You can still find it on Amazon and other sites for MSRP or less right now.

The main engine.

The canopy is easily removable to put a conductor in there.

Oh man I need to get around to building mine. I've had this set for over a year now but have nowhere to display it...I think it's time to do some rearranging.

ghostmind

Don't place all the blame for Maersk on me. I gave into Ghostmind and a few others on that one. They have been pimping it for some time. It was Horizon Express that gave me the train itch, so I figured I might as well get this set.

And as others pointed out, look at it as a static model and it will be easy not to go overboard with train stuff. I am tempted to take apart the last two cars for parts and have only the engine on display. Due to the nature of the stickers on the engine, it is not going anywhere.

It is a vicious circle here in LEGO-GAF land... Phonciple's mentioning of the 2011 Police Station has led me off on a tangent this weekend where I am considering picking up several City buildings that I have missed over the last few years.

That's what is so special about this place - we all help each other out (with spending money).

;)

chidrock

Damn you guys... I literally bought this set and then returned it because of the stickers, but I still want it. These pics aren't helping. I managed to hold off on the modulars (sacrilege, I know) but not sure if I'll be able to hold off this time...

Haha. Thanks for the redirect, Phonciple. OT1 is all up in my phone's history, so habit got me, big time.

Anyway, I shall broadcast the ridiculousness here.

8219787496_1de54ea6b7.jpg

It waits for me... The B(ig fucking)-Wing.

iB5hal.jpg

I can't tell you how much I hate the sticker on the front of this thing. I totally understand the need to put it on but I find it so antithetical to the "recycle" style of play that LEGO encourages. Love the train-but the stickers really do overpower some of it.

R-User!

Damn you guys... I literally bought this set and then returned it because of the stickers, but I still want it. These pics aren't helping. I managed to hold off on the modulars (sacrilege, I know) but not sure if I'll be able to hold off this time...

We have you now! /Vader

bodine1231

FINALLY finished the 1st floor of Fire Brigade,only took me 2 weeks :/ Gonna start the mythical second floor some time this week.

20121125_235504.jpg

20121125_235511.jpg

20121125_235518.jpg

20121125_235543.jpg

20121125_235601.jpg

FINALLY finished the 1st floor of Fire Brigade,only took me 2 weeks :/ Gonna start the mythical second floor some time this week.

20121125_235504.jpg

20121125_235511.jpg

20121125_235518.jpg

20121125_235543.jpg

20121125_235601.jpg

Awesome photos, it tempts me to open my Fire Brigade. But, no,I'll keep it sealed to build with my daughter one day. Still need to pick up a Grand Emporium sooner than later...

Beware. The modulars are where the extreme addiction kicked in for me. The TIE Fighter and X-Wing were the taste of the drug. The Imperial Shuttle got me addicted to massive sets. But the modulars kicked the "I MUST KEEP BUILDING!" craze up to 12 for me.

iB5hal.jpg

I can't tell you how much I hate the sticker on the front of this thing. I totally understand the need to put it on but I find it so antithetical to the "recycle" style of play that LEGO encourages. Love the train-but the stickers really do overpower some of it.

The only things that would not be reusable in the set are 16 of the 1x2 light blue cheese slopes, and 18 of the 1x12 bricks (in white and gray). All other bricks with stickers are single bricks, so easily stashed in stuff. But I agree, the stickers that cover multiple bricks do discourage disassembly.

20121125_235504.jpg

Dat Galactus.

So, finished Diagon Alley tonight. Very fun set overall.

It is essentially three medium sized buildings in one box. Each one with its own unique lil touches and building techniques.

Ollivander's Wand Shop. The only real problem I had with the set was that it was very front heavy. Once you move onto the second floor of it it becomes awkward to add pieces since the weight hangs off the front. It is all fine once it is done, but odd as it is built.

Reversible fireplace!

Neatest part of Borgin and Burke is the roof. Nice little touch to a dark little building.

Gringott's Bank. This was my favorite of all the buildings because you can collapse it in on itself if you wanted to.

The SNOT work on the sides is really cool, but the simple execution of the skylight is very nice. I had seen similar work on MOCs before.

Ron getting lucky with Hermione.

I did not put any stickers on the set, because unlike Maersk, it still works extremely well without the stickers.

Highly recommended set. Nice builds, and easy to pace it because each set of numbered bags and instruction books is one building, so you can choose which building you do first.
I originally bought this set only to stockpile SNOT pieces and windows for MOC work, and after building it, I can say it was worth it.

Oh, and Dr. Forester: you said that having dark blue pieces in the instruction manual with R2D2 was the devil. Diagon Alley was worse. Dark green and black pieces together is the devil. But the worst was when there were two to three different shades of brown used in certain parts, combined with dark red. All of it starts to look the same after a bit, or at least hard to decipher without lining up the pieces together to compare shades.

Diagon Alley looks sweet.

Check out this Gringott's MOD:

i0JwS.jpg

Very cool.

I have been thinking of what kind of building I could make with all these parts. After eyeing Police Station (which I wont be getting for some time, sadly), I thought of making a police station modular MOC.

Between Haunted House and Diagon Alley I have plenty of great pieces to make some cool MOC modular buildings. Tempted to dismantle my Corner Florist MOC and redo it now that I have more parts. The outside of that is severely lacking compared to other ones. I also never finished Blacktron Brewery because my brain hit a wall on how to continue it.

But I have TONS of building to do before considering MOCing. Queen Anne should be in my hands tomorrow (Tuesday at latest. Depends on when I meet up with my friend), and R2D2 is scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday as well. After that, I need to finish reassembling Town Hall, Fire Brigade, and half of Pet Shop.

So I kinda have a backlog for the first time, but it is a backlog of sets I am rebuilding.

ghostmind

If you do miss getting the Police Station, there are always other sets that could supply those blue windows...

91A0Z.jpg

The 2013 Fire Station, for example.

Although it doesn't have the rounded windows that the Police Station has.

Dineren

Banned
I've been eyeing that Diagon Alley set for awhile and ended up ordering it earlier today. It's my first set in probably ten years, but this thread finally pushed me over the edge. I almost bought the Maersk Cargo Train too, but decided to hold off until the Horizon Express is released. Unfortunately I have a feeling this single purchase is going to end up costing me hundreds of dollars in the near future.

HOLY CRAP AT THIS STAR DESTROYER MOC!

7902947664_eaeeaf03b8.jpg

7902931960_f1b9f9704a.jpg

7902929818_8462021cbf.jpg

The psycho even built an interior!

7902919080_cf78d09c1e.jpg

7902913262_609514fe71.jpg

Many more pics at the link.

If you do miss getting the Police Station, there are always other sets that could supply those blue windows...

91A0Z.jpg

The 2013 Fire Station, for example.

Although it doesn't have the rounded windows that the Police Station has.

The current Police Station has that unique baseplate, as well as lots of the grooved 1x2 bricks. The blue tinted windows are one of the big gets, but two full garage doors is really nice. I really am looking at it as nothing but a parts buy. Perhaps after the new year.

sharbhund

The coupon code 'TOY40' gives 40% (up to $40) off one item at yoyo.com. They don't have many $100+ sets there, but this would make Helm's Deep $89.99 with free shipping.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That Maersk train is beautiful.

I'm going to have to steer clear of the Lego train stuff however, as I know it will just begin an expensive hobby which I have neither the room or funds to support haha..

Mine will probably be display only, sitting on short lengths of track. Although I did buy some PF gear and extra track - just in case. Will never motorise the emerald night, it's too clumsy looking IMO. But maersk and/or horizon express, maybe.

buildt the tie fighter yesterday, not sure why everyone is complaining about the wings, ok you build 2, but that is hardly unusual for a space ship or plane and on the sex-wing you have to build four.
anyway looks really neat when finished and goes well with the x-wing :)
now the y-wing to complete the trio

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I give my parents the Fire Brigade to hide till Christmas and it's still sitting there on the sofa taunting me. It's going to be a long month.

Top Bottom