• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Oh man, Phonciple - Maersk looks so damn good! And with all those trailers to load up with cargo...this vs. Horizon Express is a tough call! And time may be of the essence...

It's also time to do the great rebuild and migration of my son's Lego town from the overflowing computer desk to something lower, roomier, with built-in storage, and room for some train tracks...

It's going to be a busy winter...

Theonik

HOLY CRAP AT THIS STAR DESTROYER MOC!

The psycho even built an interior!

Many more pics at the link.
As much as I dig the detail on that thing I'm not sure I'm into out of scale interiors. It's what I hate about the Death Star playset and the $99 ISD

Damn that sucks!

I almost bidded on a UCS AT-ST on eBay for 90.00 complete with box but I had to remind myself that I just bought the Imperial Shuttle,Haunted House and the Imperial Star Destroyer TODAY,so I need to slow the hell down for now. I'm not even done with the first floor of the Fire Brigade that I started on a week ago.
The AT-ST is one of those sets I partially regret not getting a few years back, I should pick one up soon. They are pretty gorgeous up close from what I've been shown, thankfully not to expensive. I should try get the shuttle first though before I go after this and the UCS Y-Wing.

So I give my parents the Fire Brigade to hide till Christmas and it's still sitting there on the sofa taunting me. It's going to be a long month.
Well if it eases your pain, it will have been worth the wait.

built the tie fighter yesterday, not sure why everyone is complaining about the wings, ok you build 2, but that is hardly unusual for a space ship or plane and on the sex-wing you have to build four.
anyway looks really neat when finished and goes well with the x-wing :)
now the y-wing to complete the trio

I don't get the hate for wings either. You can easily build them both at the same time (talking B-Wing here) and you usually pick up some good techniques anyway.

For things that are more than 2 just make an assembly line.

On the ISD MOC above; How many people do I need to kill to make enough money to buy one?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh man, Phonciple - Maersk looks so damn good! And with all those trailers to load up with cargo...this vs. Horizon Express is a tough call! And time may be of the essence...

It's also time to do the great rebuild and migration of my son's Lego town from the overflowing computer desk to something lower, roomier, with built-in storage, and room for some train tracks...

It's going to be a busy winter...

Get the maersk as its OOP now. You have the whole of next year for the horizon.

We have our little modular street on the lower bunk of our sons bunk bed. Just about enough room for a road in front and a train line. When the cinema comes, if its a corner building we'll need to start a new block

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Beware. The modulars are where the extreme addiction kicked in for me. The TIE Fighter and X-Wing were the taste of the drug. The Imperial Shuttle got me addicted to massive sets. But the modulars kicked the "I MUST KEEP BUILDING!" craze up to 12 for me.

The only things that would not be reusable in the set are 16 of the 1x2 light blue cheese slopes, and 18 of the 1x12 bricks (in white and gray). All other bricks with stickers are single bricks, so easily stashed in stuff. But I agree, the stickers that cover multiple bricks do discourage disassembly.

Dat Galactus.

So, finished Diagon Alley tonight. Very fun set overall.

It is essentially three medium sized buildings in one box. Each one with its own unique lil touches and building techniques.

Ollivander's Wand Shop. The only real problem I had with the set was that it was very front heavy. Once you move onto the second floor of it it becomes awkward to add pieces since the weight hangs off the front. It is all fine once it is done, but odd as it is built.

Reversible fireplace!

Neatest part of Borgin and Burke is the roof. Nice little touch to a dark little building.

Gringott's Bank. This was my favorite of all the buildings because you can collapse it in on itself if you wanted to.

The SNOT work on the sides is really cool, but the simple execution of the skylight is very nice. I had seen similar work on MOCs before.

Ron getting lucky with Hermione.

I did not put any stickers on the set, because unlike Maersk, it still works extremely well without the stickers.

Highly recommended set. Nice builds, and easy to pace it because each set of numbered bags and instruction books is one building, so you can choose which building you do first.
I originally bought this set only to stockpile SNOT pieces and windows for MOC work, and after building it, I can say it was worth it.

Oh, and Dr. Forester: you said that having dark blue pieces in the instruction manual with R2D2 was the devil. Diagon Alley was worse. Dark green and black pieces together is the devil. But the worst was when there were two to three different shades of brown used in certain parts, combined with dark red. All of it starts to look the same after a bit, or at least hard to decipher without lining up the pieces together to compare shades.

You stop tempting me right now! YOU STOP IT. BAD!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
HOLY CRAP AT THIS STAR DESTROYER MOC!

7902947664_eaeeaf03b8.jpg

7902931960_f1b9f9704a.jpg

7902929818_8462021cbf.jpg

The psycho even built an interior!

7902919080_cf78d09c1e.jpg

7902913262_609514fe71.jpg

Many more pics at the link.

The current Police Station has that unique baseplate, as well as lots of the grooved 1x2 bricks. The blue tinted windows are one of the big gets, but two full garage doors is really nice. I really am looking at it as nothing but a parts buy. Perhaps after the new year.

Mother of God!

I MUST HAVE THIS NOW.

That detail is insane.

bodine1231

For those who need it, Super Star Destroyer is 319.00 (20% off) @ Amazon right now!

WHY ISNT THE DEATH STAR THIS CHEAP!!?? If it was this price I would be on it ASAP! Still, this is tempting, but the lack of minifigs and the sheer size is a bit of a turnoff. It doesnt look to be going oop anytime soon so I can wait.

I just found out I'll be in one of the boxes! I also have promised to send my oldest some pics of the Biebs.

To keep it on topic, I am giving the guy who got me the tickets some duplicate figs as payment. So Lego.
Nice! Yeah, I promised my daughter that I would record some video of the Biebs and Carly Rae Jepson. It was funny how most of the crowd was so hostile toward Bieber. He was booed a lot. Before the game, we were wandering around inside the convention centre and we saw Damon Allen walk into the washroom that we had just come out of! Not the greatest game to watch, unless you're an Argo fan. I was hoping that it would be a little more competitive than it was. Kevin Glenn's lackluster performance reminded me as to why we (ie- the Ti-Cats) got rid of him. It was his typical "have a good game and then follow it up with a crap game" that Ti-Cat fans got used to the past few seasons. That guy just can't win the big game. On the other side, the Argos played as a complete team. Ray was clutch and Owens and Kackert were beasts, as always. They could be good for the next few years if they stay together. Argos deserved it.

And to stay on topic... LEGO!!!

R-User!

Mother of god. That is the back log of Doom. Doom's back log. So much awesome ahead.

What would the following backlog be called?

Creator Lighthouse
Creator Apple Tree House
Creator Seaside House
Landspeeder
Desert Skiff
Maersk Train
Red Cargo Train
Equipping Maersk with PFunctions
Shelob
Urukai
Orc Forge
Weathertop
Mines of Moria
Helms Deep
Shuttle Expedition
Kings Joust
Lego City: The Mine
Town Hall
Tower Bridge

I defer to your backlog name creation skills... :D

ruxtpin

Banned
Backlogs? Backlogs!?

My backlog...

Imperial Shuttle
Death Star
Tie Fighter
Helm's Deep
Mines of Moria
Maersk Train
Robie House
Alien Conquest Tripod Walker-thing
Alien Conquest Mobile HQ-thing

B-Wing and Winter Bakery on the way

And the missus is probably getting me the Pet Shop for XMas, so I'll have all of the current modulars. Typing that list out makes me realize I might have a problem.

Fxp

Local shop is selling 4428 City Advent Calendar for $20. Never bought LEGO Advent Calendar before but I imagine it would be cool to start every day with nice little toy.

R-User!

Backlogs? Backlogs!?

My backlog...

Imperial Shuttle
Death Star
Tie Fighter
Helm's Deep
Mines of Moria
Maersk Train
Robie House

And the missus is probably getting me the Pet Shop for XMas, so I'll have all of the current modulars. Typing that list out makes me realize I might have a problem.

I re-read what you wrote in Bill Murray's voice... ;p

What would the following backlog be called?

Creator Lighthouse
Creator Apple Tree House
Creator Seaside House
Landspeeder
Desert Skiff
Maersk Train
Red Cargo Train
Equipping Maersk with PFunctions
Shelob
Urukai
Orc Forge
Weathertop
Mines of Moria
Helms Deep
Shuttle Expedition
Kings Joust
Lego City: The Mine
Town Hall
Tower Bridge

I defer to your backlog name creation skills... :D

The back log of ultimate suffering.

Backlogs? Backlogs!?

My backlog...

Imperial Shuttle
Death Star
Tie Fighter
Helm's Deep
Mines of Moria
Maersk Train
Robie House

The back log of anguish and despair.

ruxtpin

Banned
The back log of ultimate suffering.

The back log of anguish and despair.

I'd really like to make a dent in that list, but the shelf-space in my man-cave is being occupied by Grand Emporium, Fire House, Town Hall, Haunted House, Millenium Falcon, Y-Wing and R2-D2. I'm thinking I'll disassemble some in the near future and put together others.

Calm Killer

WHY ISNT THE DEATH STAR THIS CHEAP!!?? If it was this price I would be on it ASAP! Still, this is tempting, but the lack of minifigs and the sheer size is a bit of a turnoff. It doesnt look to be going oop anytime soon so I can wait.

It is an epic Build. I would highly recommend. Check these out from the old Thread. WARNING WALL OF PICTURES

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41088296&postcount=14803
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41131684&postcount=14885
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41292862&postcount=15089

The Box
7794507154_1f8af9bb01_b.jpg

Packaged boxes 1-3 and instruction boxes.
7794507100_333943a55c_c.jpg

Packaging
7794507194_98d00d385c_c.jpg

Instruction booklet.
7794507032_d402bfd53e_c.jpg

Box 1 content. Bags 1 and bags 2.
7794506948_69c5af398d_c.jpg

Bags 1 from box 1 organized.
7794506878_ac94681c97_c.jpg

Bags 1 from box 1 organized.
7794506818_e02e4daff8_c.jpg

7794506758_45edca8a10_c.jpg

Contents of box 1 bag 1 complete. 3 hours in.
7794506704_31b619a3c1_c.jpg

Bag 2 of box 1 sorted and organized. 5 hours in.
7794506630_9804053fff_c.jpg

Bags 2 from box 1 complete. Box 1 now complete. On to the second box. 9 hours in.
7794506576_27897ce780_c.jpg

Bags 2 box 1 complete.
7794506506_b48e17206b_c.jpg

Bags 3 start of box 2.
7794506436_71b710b94b_c.jpg

End of day 1. 11 hours in.
7794506374_cd675da5fb.jpg

Closer look.
7802369630_babd349644_c.jpg

Closer look.
7802369482_13895cfb32_c.jpg

Bags 3 complete.
7802369278_708db24f8a_c.jpg

Bags 3 complete.
7802369064_0e24dd85b9_c.jpg

Bags 4 box 2 next.
7802368906_e97d078b78_c.jpg

Bags 4 box 2 sorted.
7802368716_c657bae268_c.jpg

Stands complete.
7802368562_a37afce2d9_c.jpg

Sign complete.
7802368402_1f12a3fc29_c.jpg

Bags 4 box 2 complete. Box 3 next. 15 hours in.
7802368270_9c3a4bf5ba_c.jpg

7824309446_37643f04c9_c.jpg

7824309038_a95ec13d38_c.jpg

7824308694_9f4c2b7927_c.jpg

7824308390_beea3f7497_c.jpg

7824308128_cb15027e9d_c.jpg

7824307790_49184471c1_c.jpg

7824307566_0d550d7dbd_c.jpg

7824307172_fd6b57b9f6_c.jpg

7824306836_eb3d04a67c_c.jpg

7824306494_e4a6fbb6c5_c.jpg

7824306142_ff3b685d8c_c.jpg

7824305832_572e23f7ba_c.jpg

7824305522_b5a74c4f8e_c.jpg

7824305346_5a2c364095_c.jpg

7824304994_0e45a52d74_c.jpg

7824304662_a54bc5694e_c.jpg

7824304260_f4dec28c7b_c.jpg

7824303958_ff3bdba25f_c.jpg

7824303666_8e8b4542cf_c.jpg

7824303356_39aabe38e8_c.jpg

7824303084_46c6abb394_c.jpg

7824302800_e209883a5d_c.jpg

chidrock

Beware. The modulars are where the extreme addiction kicked in for me. The TIE Fighter and X-Wing were the taste of the drug. The Imperial Shuttle got me addicted to massive sets. But the modulars kicked the "I MUST KEEP BUILDING!" craze up to 12 for me.

Trust me - I already have the bug between the various Star Wars (UCS included), Harry Potter, Super Hero and Lord of the Rings sets I've picked up. I've just been staying away from the modulars because I see how addictive they can be at the price each costs. At least with the other series I can limit the sets to the ones I like a little more without having to catch them all so to speak.

Trust me - I already have the bug between the various Star Wars (UCS included), Harry Potter, Super Hero and Lord of the Rings sets I've picked up. I've just been staying away from the modulars because I see how addictive they can be at the price each costs. At least with the other series I can limit the sets to the ones I like a little more without having to catch them all so to speak.
The initial catch up on modular hurts, but after that you only need to worry about one set in the series per year.

ghostmind

What's in your backlog?

It's not a matter of building everything I have, as that would be impossible without a large room dedicated only to LEGO, and even that could be pushing it. I have to cycle sets in and out on a regular basis while keeping a small percentage as "evergreens".

According to Brickset, as of this morning I have 212 sets. Of those I would say I have 15 currently constructed and probably a hundred that have yet to be opened.

Well my Millennium Falcom that I ordered trough Futureshop online is stuck in limbo, it was supposed to arrive last friday, I tracked it today and it's been "redirected" twice, I called Canada post and they told me to call futureshop because they probably made a mistake then I called futureshop and they say the address is correct and that there is no mistake on their end and that I should call canada post again, called canada post again a different customer representative told me that the address is correct that someone screwed up and loaded it on the wrong truck for delivery twice, he then told me that I "should" receive it either today or tomorrow. WTF!

Poor Millennium Falcom is stuck in some sort of asteroid field...

Lego Gaf help please! I don't know much about legos except that it is surprisingly fun to help my son put his sets together.

Anyone know what this is?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085Y3X3Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There's not a very good explanation. Are they just standard lego sizes or are they bigger for little kids?

It is just a box of bricks. No instructions or anything. Just a whole lotta bricks for cheap, and you see what you can come up with.

Also look into this set. It is cheaper and comes with a lot of basic bricks. A great pack just for filler parts, but also kinda LEGO in its purest form.

It's not a matter of building everything I have, as that would be impossible without a large room dedicated only to LEGO, and even that could be pushing it. I have to cycle sets in and out on a regular basis while keeping a small percentage as "evergreens".

According to Brickset, as of this morning I have 212 sets. Of those I would say I have 15 currently constructed and probably a hundred that have yet to be opened.

Mother of god. You have more unopened than I even own.

I've already spent too much on Black Friday but had to order the Lego Winter Village Bakery. It's already sold out on Amazon and will probably go OOP after this winter. I got the Toy Shop last year for $59.99 and it's already selling for about $160+ now.

R-User!

0_o *blink blink* 100 not yet opened! *blink*

o_0

Some of it I will never open... I'm collecting polybags for instance as a speculative side-hobby. Out of that 100 sets, probably a quarter are those polys.

Ah, that doesn't sound too bad then.

I have thought about keeping poly bags or other sets sealed to maybe sell later, but I just cant bring myself to do it. I would rather have the fun and joy of the sets now and also stock pile parts for building later.

Also, I have nowhere to store whole boxes. I have to open sets and break down boxes pretty quickly while living in the small apartment.

ghostmind

Ah, that doesn't sound too bad then.

I have thought about keeping poly bags or other sets sealed to maybe sell later, but I just cant bring myself to do it. I would rather have the fun and joy of the sets now and also stock pile parts for building later.

Also, I have nowhere to store whole boxes. I have to open sets and break down boxes pretty quickly while living in the small apartment.

Storage is definitely an issue - I'm actually going to pick up an 9' wide x 6' tall storage shelf tonight for my boxed sets.

Keeping polys for resale is pretty easy, as they take up a miniscule amount of space, and I always buy 2 polys of anything I am interested in, one for me to open and one to keep. I know of collectors that buy full sets as collections and end up having to rent a storage locker to keep them all!

I just ran the numbers on my collection, and my average set size is 450pcs, so I have some fairly large sets still in box.

I recently started dating a girl who's kids love legos. That's what he always asks for for his birthday. I was shocked at how damn expensive they are. Does anyone know where to get them for cheap or discounted? Or do I just have to suck it up and pay full price?

rataven

I've thought about taking a picture of my backlog, but it's too embarassing. Literally fills half a closet in my home office.

vicissitudes said:
I've already spent too much on Black Friday but had to order the Lego Winter Village Bakery. It's already sold out on Amazon and will probably go OOP after this winter. I got the Toy Shop last year for $59.99 and it's already selling for about $160+ now.

Good pick! Definitely don't want to miss those sets. The toy shop and bakery are my favorites in the winter line. I've even picked up a backup for each because I expect all the building/dismantling for the holidays will show the wear over the years .

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My backlog (some of which will be Christmas and birthday presents for my kids)

- 2x Helm's deep (one very cheap from amazon, one in a 3-for-2 offer)
- ninjago fire temple (50% off on amazon black friday just now)
- Ninjago Epic dragon battle (pencilled in for daughter's birthday next year but grabbed it on offer)
- Avengers Quinjet
- technic 4x4 RC crawler
- Haunted house
- Sonic boom
- Highway Hauler
- Tower Bridge (target to build over Christmas, have finally made room for it)
- 3 various Dino sets (for my daughter for christmas)
- winter bakery

And then horizon express, eagle creator and next modular are in my sights for 1H 2013

Rootbeer

Banned
My wallet is feeling nice and plump. I'm going to be refreshing all my go-to spots tomorrow morning hoping for hobbit/chima/city/galaxy squad and other december/2013 sets to go in stock online. Please report if you guys see anything!

BTW I saw on brickpedia that Mickey Mouse & Friends will be a 2013 LEGO theme...sadly it is DUPLO only. I'd love to own Mickey, Donald, Goofy & crew as minifigs. Why would LEGO pick up such a great license and not do full-on LEGO sets that are sure to sell and become big collectors items? 2013 is rather packed for them, maybe saving it for next year?

Good pick! Definitely don't want to miss those sets. The toy shop and bakery are my favorites in the winter line. I've even picked up a backup for each because I expect all the building/dismantling for the holidays will show the wear over the years .

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the Post Office or the Cottage. Not sure if I will continue collecting them at this point.

Deefuzz

Add me to the massive backlog list. Not 100 sets, but its quite a bit, and there are some doozies in there.

One question for my LEGOGAF brothers. When you build a set, what do you do with the box? Do you save the box? flatten it down? put the set back in it after you build it?

I'm getting ready to dive into my backlog and trying to decide what to do with the boxes.

ghostmind

Add me to the massive backlog list. Not 100 sets, but its quite a bit, and there are some doozies in there.

One question for my LEGOGAF brothers. When you build a set, what do you do with the box? Do you save the box? flatten it down? put the set back in it after you build it?

I'm getting ready to dive into my backlog and trying to decide what to do with the boxes.

I like to keep the boxes. I had been flattening them and storing the sets in bags (since I'm not much into MOC'ing currently), but now that I'm adding some storage to my basement, I think I'm going to go back to storing sets currently not on display back in their respective boxes.

rataven

One thing you'll want to consider early on is whether or not you'll ever want to resell your Lego. If you do, then hang on to the boxes as they do add some value. Carefully flattening them for storage should be fine.

But personally, I break them down and drop them in with the recycling. Let them live again as something else!

I used to save them, but I've been in this hobby for more than 15 years. That's a lot of boxes and clutter drives me batty. So away they went.

Top Bottom