• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ghostmind

Listing and pics of all the new bricks being introduced this year.
Many are simply existing bricks in new colors, but there are quite a few neat new elements in there. Of course, much of the list is taken up by mini figure parts and accessories.

c9UtM.jpg

This element I could see becoming very useful.

ghostmind

Brickset has a bunch more polybags for 2013 listed, and it looks like we are going to be getting cool new seasonal polys (with minifigs) throughout the year (probably as monthly purchase incentives through LEGO).

40052 Springtime Scene
40054 Summer Scene
40056 Thanksgiving Feast
40057 Fall Scene
40058 Decorating the Tree
40059 Santa Sleigh

Speaking of which, I don't have the full Feb 2013 calendar yet, but here is the incentive for that month.

kgFYE.jpg

Hello lego-gaf.

How often do double vip months happen? I'm considering saving all my lego spending money up until there is another one. Accumulating discounts is quite fun. B/t christmas and the last double vip month I've got $20 in discounts ready (grand emporium, last double vip month) and I'd love to have more and sometime at the end of the year have one MASSIVE discount.

Also, relatives are now aware of my fondness for legos. Got a technic plane and mirkwood spiders for christmas. Birthdays and christmas will be exciting from now on. Apparently I was potentially going to get tower bridge instead of the technic plane, but the lego store they went to was sold out :,,,,,,,,,,(

IronRinn

Call me stupid but I just realised some minifigs have two different faces.

Don't feel bad. I think my first couple of posts in this thread were me realizing the same thing after wondering aloud why the face on one of my mini-figs looked different than the photos being posted by others. Real forehead-smacking moment that one.

ghostmind

Hello lego-gaf.

How often do double vip months happen? I'm considering saving all my lego spending money up until there is another one. Accumulating discounts is quite fun. B/t christmas and the last double vip month I've got $20 in discounts ready (grand emporium, last double vip month) and I'd love to have more and sometime at the end of the year have one MASSIVE discount.

Also, relatives are now aware of my fondness for legos. Got a technic plane and mirkwood spiders for christmas. Birthdays and christmas will be exciting from now on. Apparently I was potentially going to get tower bridge instead of the technic plane, but the lego store they went to was sold out :,,,,,,,,,,(

Double VIP on everything has traditionally been 2 to 3 times per year. I would expect the next one in March, but LEGO has also been known to mix things up a bit each year.

ghostmind

Public service announcement:

New York Toy Fair happens on Feb. 10th to Feb. 13th this year. Expect to see all the 2H 2013 sets on display, including our first good looks at the Lone Ranger, Iron Man 3, and Man of Steel, as well as all the summer sets for LotR, Star Wars, Creator, Galaxy Squad, etc. Video channels such as the Brick Show will be doing extensive coverage of what is essentially LEGO's E3 of the year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I love OT SW and it's not a must have. X-Wing and TIE are must haves. This Falcon is just ok, was kinda disappointed but maybe my expectations were too high since my SW ships are X, TIE, and Slave 1, all of which are perfect.

I'd agree with you, but perhaps that's just me pining for a UCS falcon. I have the current normal one and its fine, but I could easily live without it (its currently the only SW set I've broken down)

I'm keeping my SW lego budget down by pretty much only buying normal scale OT spaceships, and at the moment there are lots of prequel sets which I don't care about.

Might get Y-wing and A-Wing to go with X-wing and TIE, and wait for a small B-Wing in the next couple of years.

Don't have any UCS except for the gorgeous R2D2, but if they did a new UCS falcon, star destroyer or X-Wing they'd break me

Crizume

Neo Member
Ok well, I thoroughly enjoyed building the Ghost Train, although I will likely dismantle it shortly.

I was left with 2 extra wheel pieces that the instructions say not to use during the step to put on the larger wheels, but they never came up again. Anyone know what these were for? It's the piece with the red X over it.

I had same curiosity. Apparently they are extra and not used unless some one else can enlighten us.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

New York Toy Fair happens on Feb. 10th to Feb. 13th this year. Expect to see all the 2H 2013 sets on display, including our first good looks at the Lone Ranger, Iron Man 3, and Man of Steel, as well as all the summer sets for LotR, Star Wars, Creator, Galaxy Squad, etc. Video channels such as the Brick Show will be doing extensive coverage of what is essentially LEGO's E3 of the year.

Should we be expecting a new UCS SW set, a new modular, or a new large building (like tower bridge/ Taj Mahal etc) this year?

ghostmind

Should we be expecting a new UCS SW set, a new modular, or a new large building (like tower bridge/ Taj Mahal etc) this year?

The NY Toy Fair is a retailer show, to preview toy companies' upcoming offerings so stores and purchasers can plan ahead for the year. LEGO exclusives aren't announced at that time.

Last year the UCS R2-D2 was announced in mid-March (in a bit of a blunder), so I would expect another UCS announcement around that time this year.

I fully expect the Palace Cinema to be released March 1st.

Fantomex

Anyone else confused with how LEGO presented Chima? I had a few thoughts that I'd like to bounce off you guys.

1. Certain sets and Speedorz are overpriced in terms of content.
    The Speedorz are the greatest offender of this. $15 for a figure with cards and some boulders or a tiny fire loop is inexcusable, especially when compared to the awesome $10 Ninjago packs with high quality spinners.

Even if you wanted to get the $20 Starter Set or $30 Ultimate Tournament (the figures will be in individual Speedorz sets in the summer), Crawley's Claw Ripper and Wakz' Pack Tracker are such better values at equivalent prices and give you better play value (the Pack Tracker's mouth chomps as you roll it!).

In fact, Crawley's Claw Ripper is a much better value than any Speedorz set altogether; you get two minifigures with a Chi piece and an awesome vehicle for the same price. It's much better than a wimpy platform and some tiny crows.

Still going to shell out for King Crominus though. The Chima crocs are the definite highlights of the series.

The larger sets are also at awkward prices in comparison to the content. Here's a breakdown of the sets and their appropriate status:
    70000 Razcal's Glider (109 pieces) - $11.99 (The impulse buy)
    70001 Crawley's Claw Ripper (139 pieces) - $14.99 (Overall best value)
    70002 Lennox' Lion Attack (230 pieces) - $24.99 (The feel-good purchase with a nice vehicle and Crug exclusivity)
    70003 Eris' Eagle Interceptor (348 pieces) - $34.99 (The reluctant hold-in-store-for-an-hour-and-internally-monologue-about-purchasing-or-waiting-for-a-Target-coupon set with no exclusive figures)
    • Both ravens are also included in the upcoming superior set Razar's Chi Raider (70012, 412 pieces, $39.99) that has a vastly superior vehicle and more content.
    70004 Wakz' Pack Tracker (297 pieces) - $29.99 (The beefy $30 payday purchase that should be a mandatory purchase with Crawley's Claw Ripper)
    70005 Laval's Royal Fighter (417 pieces) - $39.99 (The wallet-conscious cool big set with no exclusives)
    70006 Cragger's Command Ship (609 pieces) - $79.99 (The birthday/too-early-for-Christmas wallet grudge)

I noticed a lot of parents at TRU and Target were putting Speedorz and the other sets back on the shelves in favor of the Claw Ripper. The $10 spinner price point would definitely have benefitted Speedorz.

I feel that although the sets will be an easy sell to kids with awesome giant animal vehicles and colorful characters, adults will find it hard to justify paying LEGO license-esque prices for less content. AFOLs will certainly enjoy the pieces for MOCing, especially because of the "head helmets" (Killer Croc and Leatherhead, anyone?), but the true value of the sets clearly rests on the minifigures.

2. The main value in the sets are the minifigures.
    It's no secret that LEGO's quality minifigures are set-sellers, but with Chima it feels like the Speedorz gimmick and vehicles are sold as a bonus to the minifigures. The figures are all outstanding; with four creatures per tribe, LEGO achieved plenty of variety with colorful printing and a "head helmet" that allows you to alter the character's expression with double-sided heads. However, If there's anything I've learned from collecting the Series Minifigures and Ninjago spinners, it's to never purchase large sets because of one or two minifigures.

Maybe it's my draw toward the crocs and wolves, but many of the vehicles feel a bit lackluster in terms of what we've gotten in the past. I've already lavished the Claw Ripper and Pack Tracker with praise, but the other first wave vehicles don't quite measure up.

The Glider is a nice build with excellent MOC parts. The Command Ship is beefy and can actually float on water (thanks BrickShow!). The Eagle Interceptor is also nice, but the Creator Fierce Flyer eagle has my undivided adoration. The Lion Attack and Royal Fighter, however, don't fare as well. They both feel empty, almost unfinished, like Lennox and Laval just stuck a lion head at the helm of their vehicles like the Thousand Sunny from One Piece (except that's a coherent vehicle!). I'm not denying that the lion heads are cool, but it would have been nicer to actually have a bulky lion tank with a respectable mane instead of mounting a Speedorz lion head onto some Technic parts.

Looking ahead, the summer/fall sets definitely have better vehicles at great prices. Kids will definitely adore the vehicles, but I just don't see these being compared to the creative Fangpyre vehicles or the Ninjago Dragons. Which leads me to my final point.

3. Chima is clearly not a Ninjago replacement.
    When LEGO canceled the Ninjago line, they intended to send off the series with a "Final Battle" motif and dazzling gold pieces (especially that handsome Golden Dragon!). LEGO quickly realized through massive fan outpouring that it was shockingly ridiculous to end their greatest recent moneymaker and revealed they were uncanceling the Ninjago line with a 2014 cyborg-esque teaser poster. Even before Chima hit store shelves.

I'm sure Chima will be great and I will be watching the series this spring, but I can't attest to the longevity of the series. There are a few neat summer Chima sets, but they put so much effort into establishing Chima as a replacement that it almost demotes Chima to filler until Ninjago returns.

Just my two cents. Maybe the lukewarm feelings toward Chima that many are experiencing will change as the cartoon airs, but I've always been enamored with Ninjago from the get-go without seeing most of the show.

I agree with almost everything you said. The minifigs are the stars it seems.

70005 Laval's Royal Fighter (417 pieces) - $39.99 (The wallet-conscious cool big set with no exclusives)
I don't know if CHIMA is starting off right though. I've bought 20 lego sets and to date this is the first one that had missing pieces. A total of 9 missing pieces in this set. I called and of course customer service was great and is sending them to me in a weeks time, from Europe they said since they are handpicked.

I wasn't excited about the Monsters series or Chima. So I'm really looking forward to the Cinema later in the year. My son really likes the superhero sets, and he keeps eyeing that Prison Break Arkham set, I don't know if we can resist.

I kind of hate the Chima sets. Way too over the top and childish for my taste, even worse than Ninjago. Great for kids to actually play with, but definately not one for me to collect.

Speaking of which, I don't have the full Feb 2013 calendar yet, but here is the incentive for that month.

kgFYE.jpg

Welp, guess I'll get around to buying the LEGO City Undercover set (#60007, City Police High Speed Chase) next month and a few minifigs to score that sweet little helicopter.

Double VIP on everything has traditionally been 2 to 3 times per year. I would expect the next one in March, but LEGO has also been known to mix things up a bit each year.

Thank you. Their timing is quite malicious if that holds true- my self imposed lego purchase ban will run out just in time.

beje

Banned
Looks like the Spanish Toys'R'Us currently has a "buy 1 get 2nd 50% off" promotion in all Lego products. I don't know if it applies to other countries, or if it's either online store only or retail too but it doesn't hurt to check.

ghostmind

Latest rumor on the Sail Barge has Jabba, Max Rebo, Ree Yees, Slave Leia, R2-D2 (with serving tray) and a Nikto guard included.

Dilemma time. I've spotted Helm's Deep at half RRP, which is fantastic. But if I buy that, then I won't have enough to get the Grand Emporium (and that is with taking advantage of the AFOL discount day, and a £20 LEGO store voucher) next month. It would probably be a while before I could get the GE again, which risks it not being available.

I love them both equally, so sway me one way or the other please!

In other news, my fantastic girlfriend got me Gandalf Arrives and Shelob Attacks. Shelob was a great build- I love how versatile the legs and body are, plus the included web line! It's a big critter too!

ruxtpin

Banned
Latest rumor on the Sail Barge has Jabba, Max Rebo, Ree Yees, Slave Leia, R2-D2 (with serving tray) and a Nikto guard included.

Man... that takes me back to 1996. I used to play the Star Wars: CCG. They came out with a Jabba's Palace expansion and there were cards for every alien in the movie. At one point I could have probably named creature that showed up on screen and given their proper name. Even aliens that you saw for a fraction of a second, as the camera was panning.

I'm such a dork.

Fed ex delivered ssd today. However, they just took it to the leasing office instead of my apartment so the only way I knew it came was checking the tracking. Lazy scum. So now I sit at work (on break now) and have the ssd in the trunk. Patiently waiting for shift to end.

Jarmel

Banned
I have the Millenium Falcon(the large one) that I finally decided to build this weekend. Any tips? This is the first time I've built something this large. I also want to preserve it but I'm not going to use something like superglue.

Fed ex delivered ssd today. However, they just took it to the leasing office instead of my apartment so the only way I knew it came was checking the tracking. Lazy scum. So now I sit at work (on break now) and have the ssd in the trunk. Patiently waiting for shift to end.

Sucks that you've had to deal with delay after delay. They better not have crushed the box.

I know it's a bad picture and all, but is it me or does the new Jabba's Sail Barge look like a big downgrade from the previous release?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I know it's a bad picture and all, but is it me or does the new Jabba's Sail Barge look like a big downgrade from the previous release?

Maybe? The angle of the nose seems more true to the original, but it seems less pretty. Hard to tell.

6210 Barge includes the desert skiff which is separate this time around. It could also apparently open up -

LEGO_6210_PIC_2.jpg

75020 - The quality of the minifigures should be much better though. Leia's old expression was very bland, and nowadays minifigures get nice detailed printing on them unlike the old ugly Ewoks and Gamorrean Guards. New Jabba > Old Jabba.

Also, don't forget, that is probably an early prototype picture - the side 2x2 tiles seem to be missing a sticker/print the original had.

ghostmind

Preliminaries are almost always incomplete, and often contain substitute elements to stand-in for parts that have not been moulded yet, as well as missing stickers and printed elements. I would give it until Toy Fair, when we should see the final model, to pass judgment on the new version.

R-User!

Thanks for the heads up, though I'm sure you'll probably update us throughout the fair! :)

Box had been re-taped but the seals are intact for each individual box. Pretty decent for $290.

Edit: Also, ToysRUs are advertising a "HUGE sale". (All marked up sets are now at MSRP).

Dilemma time. I've spotted Helm's Deep at half RRP, which is fantastic. But if I buy that, then I won't have enough to get the Grand Emporium (and that is with taking advantage of the AFOL discount day, and a £20 LEGO store voucher) next month. It would probably be a while before I could get the GE again, which risks it not being available.

I love them both equally, so sway me one way or the other please!

In other news, my fantastic girlfriend got me Gandalf Arrives and Shelob Attacks. Shelob was a great build- I love how versatile the legs and body are, plus the included web line! It's a big critter too!

Please Lego Gaf, you are my only hope!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Further proving that LEGO intended Chima to replace Ninjago, LEGO just announced LEGO Legends of Chima: Laval's Journey for the 3DS, DS, and Vita.

Bonus: An actual Vita game is being released!

Press Release said:
LEGO® Legends of Chima™: Laval's Journey, developed by TT Games, is scheduled to be available for the Nintendo 3DS™ hand-held system and for the PS®Vita system in summer 2013 and for the Nintendo DS™ hand-held system in fall 2013. Players will embark on an amazing adventure into the world of Chima™ where the brave warrior Laval and his allies are called upon to fight for justice.

In Fall 2013, LEGO® Legends of Chima™ Online, a free-to-play, online world developed by WB Games Montréal, will provide kids with a safe and incredibly immersive connected game experience. Players will be able to build and customize their kingdom in the world of Chima™, explore massive environments like the Falling Leaves Forest, take on missions to help Laval and his friends, uncover hidden secrets and treasures, earn rewards, and use LEGO bricks to build weapons, gadgets, and more!

LEGO® Legends of Chima™: Speedorz™, a racing mini-game produced by TT Games and 4T2, revs its way on to LEGO.com today and iOS tomorrow, January 3. Players will race against famous Chima™ characters, battle through iconic Chima™ locations, and unleash the power of CHI to boost their Speedorz, all while collecting studs and rewards to unlock more Speedorz and customize characters. The player's goal is to become the ultimate champion and win Golden CHI, which transforms the world map and opens a new race level.

The Chima™ Vault, which houses an exclusive reward system, will be accessible to players on LEGO.com/chima. While playing LEGO Legends of Chima™: Speedorz™ and LEGO Legends of Chima™: Laval's Journey, players will be able to earn points. These points can be redeemed through the Vault for a variety of unique content that players can use to enhance their experience in LEGO® Legends of Chima™ Online.

LEGO didn't even give Ninjago its own game (the weak DS LEGO Battles clone doesn't count)! A bit strange to not even develop a console version.

R-User!

does anyone know where this scared girls head comes from?

5121961981_ff8f180ff6.jpg

It looks kinda like Indiana's girl from Temple of Doom! My son has that car chase set from the opening of that movie.

Edit: YES! It is. I'm staing at my sons minifig chick right now and he has a happy face and a scared
face.

The scared face matches! ;)

Further proving that LEGO intended Chima to replace Ninjago, LEGO just announced LEGO Legends of Chima: Laval's Journey for the 3DS, DS, and Vita.

Bonus: An actual Vita game is being released!

LEGO didn't even give Ninjago its own game (the weak DS LEGO Battles clone doesn't count)! A bit strange to not even develop a console version.
Do they have anything planned for iOs? And does Lefo give the Ninjago and Chima sets a decent shelf life. Seems like they take stuff of the shelves early to fuel the collector mentality and I want to to watch the Chima show before I buy.

R-User!

Please Lego Gaf, you are my only hope!

That dilemma is really tough! Grand Emporium 2000 + pieces and might leave soon vs 13xx pieces and probably won't leave for the rest of this year if not the next six months.

But that sale will be hard to match(50%off helms deep) and, I don't know what territory you're in so availability for either set may vary from what I have available to me. If I could only choose one and I wasn't planning on getting every modular out currently and going forward every other one that I like I would get The Lord of the Rings: Helms Deep set because I am a big fan of LotR.

But if you can throw Helms Deep on a credit card that would be a wise move to catch the deal while you can; because even then, the interest on the set would still be cheaper than MSRP!

Pay off Helms Deep over 6 months! What would that be for you per month?

R-User!

At my Lego store today I "Used the force, Luke!" "Feel the bags, fool!" and was able to get all 16 Series 9 Minifigs!!! Score! :)

What's funny is, can anyone here guess what the last fig I needed was? I was so worried I wouldn't get it! 0_o

That dilemma is really tough! Grand Emporium 2000 + pieces and might leave soon vs 13xx pieces and probably won't leave for the rest of this year if not the next six months.

But that sale will be hard to match(50%off helms deep) and, I don't know what territory you're in so availability for either set may vary from what I have available to me. If I could only choose one and I wasn't planning on getting every modular out currently and going forward every other one that I like I would get The Lord of the Rings: Helms Deep set because I am a big fan of LotR.

But if you can throw Helms Deep on a credit card that would be a wise move to catch the deal while you can; because even then, the interest on the set would still be cheaper than MSRP!

Pay off Helms Deep over 6 months! What would that be for you per month?

No credit card for me I'm afraid, student on a budget!

Currently leaning towards Helms Deep. I like the GE, but even with the AFOL discount and gift card, I'm laying out £90-£95!

The great thing about the GE is the design of the outside of the building (though inside looks a little sparse, perhaps a opportunity to MOC some furnishings?), the techniques I'll pick up, and the share amount of useful bricks, and it makes a fantastic kit to have out on display. I'm not that interested in the rest of the modulars though for the time being, and the cost issue keeps coming back in to play.

For the same money I could get Helm's Deep, the extension, and other things I'd love like the Y-Wing or Tie Fighter. Huge LOTR fan here, and the prospect of extending the kit to be more like the WETA design is exciting too!

Hard decision either way!

R-User!

Currently leaning towards Helms Deep. I like the GE, but even with the AFOL discount and gift card, I'm laying out £90-£95!

The great thing about the GE is the design of the outside of the building (though inside looks a little sparse, perhaps a opportunity to MOC some furnishings?), the techniques I'll pick up, and the share amount of useful bricks, and it makes a fantastic kit to have out on display. I'm not that interested in the rest of the modulars though for the time being, and the cost issue keeps coming back in to play.

For the same money I could get Helm's Deep, the extension, and other things I'd love like the Y-Wing or Tie Fighter. Huge LOTR fan here, and the prospect of extending the kit to be more like the WETA design is exciting too!

Grail Knight: You must choose! But choose wisely, for while the true Lego set will bring you life, the false Lego set will take it .....

Professor Henry Jones: Well, he who finds the Lego set must face the final challenge.

O wait! Wrong series! ;)

Well, if you don't go w/ Helms Deep please let me know where you can find it for half off! Haha. Sounds good!

Grail Knight: You must choose! But choose wisely, for while the true Lego set will bring you life, the false Lego set will take it .....

Professor Henry Jones: Well, he who finds the Lego set must face the final challenge.

O wait! Wrong series! ;)

Hope this doesn't happen!

the-10-grossest-indiana-jones-moments-where-does-crystal-skull-rank218023536.jpg

Well, if you don't go w/ Helms Deep please let me know where you can find it for half off! Haha. Sounds good!

A big range of sets on massive discounts at larger Tesco stores, details there. Wrong prices on the isles currently, but the prices on the link are correct. Just don't leave it too long before the Hot deals people snatch everything.

Me too!

Edit lol imagine someone just entering and seeing the most recent posts... ^_^

Haha, that scene used to scare the life out of me as a kid.

Think I will go with Helms Deep over GE, as then I'm left with money to go towards other kits I really want, such as the Y-Wing and Desert Skiff! Could always grab the Mini Modular kit in the future too!

Top Bottom