• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes |OT| Cosmic Brick Your Console

womp

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do we know the situation on Wii U DLC? The game isn't released here yet, and I noticed Wii U is the only one without pre-order bonus DLC.

I got a LEGO Spider-Man keychain for preordering the Wii U version via GameSlop. My six year old immediately called dibs on it before my wife could. :p

Wii U DLC ghetto confirmed.

Sats

Banned
Okay, so this is cool. In addition to the LEGO game staples of Red Bricks that give you bonuses, this game has Deadpool Red Bricks! It seems in each level there is a secret Deadpool cameo and you can get his red bricks to get even more secrets!

munchie64

I got a LEGO Spider-Man keychain for preordering the Wii U version via GameSlop. My six year old immediately called dibs on it before my wife could. :p

Wii U DLC ghetto confirmed.
Yeah, same here with a Loki key chain.

Damn, not sure now. Maybe I'll wait and see if Wii U gets it later?

Xander51

Picked up a 3DS copy at retail yesterday thanks in large part to the video and comments from earlier in the thread, and it's really fun! I actually died at one point! You can die! And the stage starts over! How weird is that???

It's basically a fast-paced isometric brawler. All of the custom animations for the characters are still there, and a lot of the graphical flash survived intact, which is surprising. It runs nice and smoothly too. Really well-done, even if it's not as much like the traditional Lego games as the handheld titles normally are.

Learning about things from context and then never seeing it again is maddening. I know I can switch characters - the game told me once in a brief on-screen tip that I could - but the method it told me isn't working. Or maybe I'm an idiot. Either way, why isn't L & R used anymore? And why just two people per level? I liked the way it was before where you picked your main and the game populated the rest automatically so you woudn't have any issues getting through.

Never mind, figured out the way to do it with buttons instead of the touch screen: Press left or right on the thumb pad.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Learning about things from context and then never seeing it again is maddening. I know I can switch characters - the game told me once in a brief on-screen tip that I could - but the method it told me isn't working. Or maybe I'm an idiot. Either way, why isn't L & R used anymore? And why just two people per level? I liked the way it was before where you picked your main and the game populated the rest automatically so you woudn't have any issues getting through.

Never mind, figured out the way to do it with buttons instead of the touch screen: Press left or right on the thumb pad.

The story mode always had you controlling a smaller number of characters that are decided by where you are in the story, what you're describing is more like the Free Play mode where it'll give you the people you need to access all the other areas you didn't have the right people for in Story Mode.

Which brings me to two things:

1) Free-play mode opens up as soon as you beat a level in story mode so you can get all of the Gold Bricks before moving on in the story. Very cool.

2) Because of this, I was doing the free-play on a level and found that I was restricted to the two characters. It does an alright job of picking the 'tag' partner but for those levels you need more than one person - say Iron Man to blow shit up and Reed Richards to go in grates - you have to do the level twice now.

Granted I'm only on the third level and it might be different but at the moment that's the way it is.

Xander51

God I wish Vita versions of these were good. I guess I'll wait for the PS4 ones and then remote play.

Do you like brawlers? Rather than try and replicate/trim down the console version, the mobile version this time is an isometric action game with a lot of the same assets. It's totally fun. But not really a proper Lego game, in the traditional sense.

Possum

Apparently the Asgard DLC Pack is exclusive to PlayStation for the first 90 days. Not sure if this was already known or not, though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Okay, so this is cool. In addition to the LEGO game staples of Red Bricks that give you bonuses, this game has Deadpool Red Bricks! It seems in each level there is a secret Deadpool cameo and you can get his red bricks to get even more secrets!
I think they're one in the same.

Apparently the Asgard DLC Pack is exclusive to PlayStation for the first 90 days. Not sure if this was already known or not, though.
Lame.

Yeah, I noticed that in the today's new PS4 trailer. But what does the DLC entail? Is it just new characters and/or outfits?
The information you seek is in OP.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Which brings me to two things:

1) Free-play mode opens up as soon as you beat a level in story mode so you can get all of the Gold Bricks before moving on in the story. Very cool.

2) Because of this, I was doing the free-play on a level and found that I was restricted to the two characters. It does an alright job of picking the 'tag' partner but for those levels you need more than one person - say Iron Man to blow shit up and Reed Richards to go in grates - you have to do the level twice now.

Granted I'm only on the third level and it might be different but at the moment that's the way it is.

1) you might not be able to get all the bricks if you do freeplay early - often you'll need characters you unlock later to get past certain areas in each level. I usually go through the story once before starting freeplay mode

Neoxon

Yeah, I think that's what they're saying - they thought it was a great impression until they realised it was the actual actor performing the lines.

The Iron Man/Tony Stark voice actor is the guy from Heroes who does the voice for him in the cartoons, so I guess that's what they're going for with that. Same with a bunch of the other characters, they're mostly voiced by the same actors from the animated shows. Nice little touch that. I don't watch them, but it shows they're trying to get people who "get" the characters and can have a little fun and bring some of that characterisation to the game.
That's the source of the problem. Many of the new voices are objectively inferior to their predecessors.

As for Spider-Man, he's voiced by James Arnold Taylor (would have preferred Josh Keaton, but it sure beats having Drake Bell).

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes had a great Tony Stark voice. The one in the game is really lacking. If that's the voice that is used in some other Avengers cartoon, then I'm glad I'm not watching it.

Sora_N

Vita version sounds crappy, guess I'll wait for a PS3 sale. Very interested but playing Pokemon so don't want to buy something else yet.

I'm only a few levels in, but this is so much better than previous LEGO games. They even take things that were monotonous in previous games and manage to make them fun. The levels seem pretty long, but it's great that levels now have save points.

Finished story mode just now and loved it. Game has a ton of fanservice and attention to detail. Easily one of my favorite games this year.

Neoxon

I feel this is true of every EMH voice actor compared to their Assemble equivalents.
With the exception of Spider-Man, who was supposed to be Josh Keaton....but Loeb replaced him with Drake Bell at the last minute. A major blemish on an otherwise flawless cast.

leng jai

All the Lego games have been underrated graphics wise since Harry Potter - especially on PC at super high resolution. They're all gorgeous. For games geared at kids they also have fantastic/satisfying sound design.

Tried the demo and was pretty impressed. Even just flying around as Iron Man is fun.

Xander51

I'm only a few levels in, but this is so much better than previous LEGO games. They even take things that were monotonous in previous games and manage to make them fun. The levels seem pretty long, but it's great that levels now have save points.

Did you ever play Batman 2 or LOTR? Both of those had mid-level save points, too!

LQX

Rented the VITA version and I think it is pretty good. Different from the PC version I played but it looks really good and plays great. Wish I had kept my pre-order.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sandman has some sweet animations.

If you hold X he turned into a cannon and certain finishing moves have him loading them into his cannon and shooting them off.

Did you ever play Batman 2 or LOTR? Both of those had mid-level save points, too!

I played a little bit of LEGO Batman 2, but not enough to really get into the meat of the game. My favorite LEGO game up to this point was still LEGO Star Wars: Complete Saga, but this just blows it away.

Dave_6

This game is so much fun and much funnier than I ever expected it to be. Some of Hulk's lines had me rolling! Like someone else posted, great fan service as well.

this is quite more fun than batman 2 which i still liked a bunch. Problem with batman 2 is while it had other characters, it was still mostly batman and his suits. Game was also super dark and boring to look at.

NMFried

Does anyone know how to initiate the next story mission after the Rebooted, Resuited level? We're playing as Hawkeye and Black Widow but stuck in the open world.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Got a key for $21.16 from Nuuvem. It took a couple hours for them to actually send it to me, but it came.

My gf and I love everything Marvel, so I'll have a co-op partner for all of it. Very excited.

Groof

I really want to play this game and was thinking of buying the PC version, but I also was originally planning on getting it with a PS4 next year. Should I just take the plunge? :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I really want to play this game and was thinking of buying the PC version, but I also was originally planning on getting it with a PS4 next year. Should I just take the plunge? :(

PS4 is a long way off if you're buying next year - PC seems pretty affordable - you could double dip?

DodgerSan

For anyone playing on 360 (it's not out here yet) can you say whether they allow invert y axis yet? Or at least respect the default desktop setting? Previous games forced it one way which was highly annoying.

JoshHood

I was actually kinda bummed about the new weird Vita version (I've had no real issues with the 3DS up-ports so far), but then I realised I could always just remote play the PS4 version if I wanted to play the full console game or something close to it (like the old portable versions were). Kinda happy to see them doing something new for this now.

haikira

Have to say, since the first few games of this lego series, like Lego Star Wars, I've lost interest in the series and have been pretty ignorant to most entries. Though I think I nearly bought the first Batman one, when it came out.

I just checked out some video reviews for this one though and I have to say, I'm mighty impressed. Seriously considering grabbing the GMG deal. There aren't any issues doing local play on the PC version, are there? I'd have probably went for the Wii-U version, but i'm needing to be extra frugal coming up to the PS4 launch and holidays.

So Steam goofed on the release date and has now locked everyone but US people out of the game. I actually played like 20mins yesterday and logged on today only to find the "Play" button gone :(

Vitor711

Me and the boy enjoyed this last night on the PC. We only managed to get past
Dr Octagon
before his bedtime.

How long in before you can create custom heroes?

Another vouch for the PC version too. i5-3570 (non-K), 8GB DDR3, 7870XT 2GB and it runs on max settings, 1080p constant 60fps. I know it's not a graphically demanding game but still. I wish the AA was better though...I'd rather not resort to fixing AA outside of a game.

I thought the Edge AA they used was fine, not seeing many jaggies here at all. You sure it's turned on in the advanced settings?

I also reached the same point - was fun and infinitely more enjoyable than the previous lego games that I couldn't get into. Looking forward to my flatmate's 10 year old nephew visiting over the weekend so I can do co-op :)

Xander51

The 3DS version of the game gates your progress through the levels based on how many optional objectives you've completed. It's really bumming me out. I kinda just wanted to bash my way through this.

Given that it's a port I wonder if the Vita has that. Then again, I try to get all of the gold blocks I can as soon as it's possible. Though I wish the load times were a mite shorter, expecially when I start a level and see right off the bat that I chose poorly and need to pick someone else.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone know what to do with those Mr. Fantastic gates with water or at least some sort of clear/clear light blue pieces emanating from them? Or what to do with white/blue diagonally striped clear pieces? What heroes do I use?

How the hell do you get that one character off shore and really high in the sky above the sea? This is at the northern end of Manhattan, I think. I go as high as possible, at least I think, and it still says its higher.

Impressions at about 70 or so gold bricks and halfway through the story (360):

- Inconsistent performance. Gotten some really bad framerate drops (sub-5 FPS), but nothing frequent enough to be worth complaining about. On that note, I did a quest halfway (Helicarrier turbine) and every time I'd go back to the overworld, it'd move the camera allllll the way back up to the Helicarrier for the mini cutscenes and then back to my character down in NY with pretty much no streaming issues. Which immediately hit me as impressive, but at the same time contradictory to the above.
- Game is gorgeous. A lot of the art in the bigger areas within levels is amazing. My favourite thus far has been Oscorp, visually.
- Timed missions are still a bitch. Especially ones that involve interacting with navigational elements like ropes or bouncy dumpsters/trampolines. The timing for anything that bounces appears to be random to get the extra bounce.
- Man I must've played nearly every LEGO game and some of these things the characters build still manage to get an emotional reaction out of me. These games are so damn charming, I really don't even care when they reuse elements from previous games and when there is something new it just makes it that much sweeter.
- Something really annoying is that characters you've unlocked (but not yet purchased) still show up on the mini-map.. Yet comic book missions disappear. I have a pretty good mental memory of what Marvel character is which and if I've unlocked them already, but this is definitely still a nuisance and possibly even more annoying for someone who is less familiar with the entirety of the Marvel universe, like kids.
- Humour seemed pretty bleh from trailers but there are a lot of cheeky moments throughout the story. It picks up as the game goes on, especially
the token Juggernaut bitch joke is played upon, which I loved
Voice acting is generally middling to bad. If you told me one person voiced all of these characters, I'd believe you. Outside of recognizable voices like Clark Gregg of course.
- Some of the combat flourishes on these characters are amazing. Yeah, it's not a combat centric game first and foremost, but I love how the power or superhero-ness comes through these characters. Seeing Human Torch make a flame tornado around a character, or seeing Cap do a trick to an enemy's amusement only to clock them at the end of it is awesome. I think this is mostly for the main story characters, but I'm not sure as I haven't bought any characters outside of ones I need for open-world puzzles.
- I love how Coulson has his BFG from the movies
- Seems like all of the red bricks except for the initial ones are contained in comic book missions about to get my 4th stud multiplier.
- It's the best Marvel game ever. Hands down. With more simplistic gameplay it manages to do more and be more faithful and charming than every Ultimate Alliance title which sort of struggled in that regard and lacked a bit of, character I guess? They really nailed down the whole breaking a character down to their essence thing from what I can tell from the story thus far. Coming across small details on so many of these characters that is endlessly entertaining. The running animation for Iceman, Professor X's dialogue in his side missions, etc.

Xander51

This game is kinda hard on 3DS! I'm sorta baffled that they added death to the game. I'm stuck on a level in Stark Tower, where you have to fight some missile turrets that surround a center console you're also trying to bust up. When you attack the center console it becomes electrified and I fall to my death down a hole.

Never has a Lego game been this difficult. Not sure if I'm enjoying that aspect or not.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
This is what my screen looks like (PC version):
F841BF83DFFD8E46C72427C06FB37B61E78072BB

I found someone else having the same problem, and they disabled an HID device to get rid of the overlay. Unfortunately, that's not working for me. Anyone have any advice? I'm using MiJ for my DS3, but the rest of the stuff I have plugged in is pretty standard.

Neoxon

Coulson, Deadpool, Hulk, Thor (to an extent) and Loki (to an extent) were the only ones spared the fate of mediocre voice acting.

If these actors are what we're gonna get in MvC4......if it happens, I fear for the game.

Top Bottom