• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Yeah, outside of the figures and Unexpecred Gathering, the hobbit sets really don't have much going for them. I hope that that changes with the last film release.

I still would like to get an Azog figure on the cheap to be honest since I have a lot of wargs and all the dwarfs now.

I also just ordered the camper van since it's 20% off at Amaxon right now along with many othe City sets

Just saw "The LEGO Movie" with my kids. They were all about how horrible big businesses are and want to become hippies. *sarcasm* FOX news so full of crap and doesn't even hide their agenda. What happened to less biased news? (referring to FOX News link Phonciplebone posted earlier)

It was a good movie. The inside jokes were very funny.
For some reason, everyone thought of me after the movie. :)

I'm surprised on RottentTomatoes that "The LEGO Movie" is rated higher than "Frozen" by critics. Currently rated higher than than movies like "American Hustle" also by critics.

I have low expectations for any sequel unless they have a new set of characters or something.

Ryuuroden

Time to decide what set to build next, will it be VW Bus or Tower Bridge or will it be something else, something small, something large, I'll decide tomorrow.

Ponn

Banned
Yeah, outside of the figures and Unexpecred Gathering, the hobbit sets really don't have much going for them. I hope that that changes with the last film release.

I still would like to get an Azog figure on the cheap to be honest since I have a lot of wargs and all the dwarfs now.

I also just ordered the camper van since it's 20% off at Amaxon right now along with many othe City sets

As much smack a s i talke about thbe LoTR grey, rocky wall sets they were much better then the Hobbit sets. Maybethe movie just doesnt lend itself to Lego sets very well. All the more reason to be upset about the lack of an awesome Smaug lair set. Dol Guldur was just, ughhhh. Its like they doubled down on the problems with the LoTR sets.

If you are a LoTR/Hobbit fan though Unexpected Gathering is a must.

Time to decide what set to build next, will it be VW Bus or Tower Bridge or will it be something else, something small, something large, I'll decide tomorrow.

Hmmm. That is tough. VW Camper is the superior set, but the sheer epicness of Tower Bridge is awesome. Either way, you win.

I will advise that when you do Tower Bridge, do both towers at the same time. It is much easier that way, and is also a great thing to do with another person.

Also keep in mind that both those sets are all or nothing. No numbered bags. NO MERCY!

If we don't get an awesome Smaug set by the time the last movie comes out, I'll be so sad. Are they gonna make me buy the Dragon's Den set from Dragon Masters and pretend that's Smaug's Lair??

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I have low expectations for any sequel unless they have a new set of characters or something.

Not sure if you know this, but a sequel has already been announced to be in the works. My guess is that..

LEGO Movie SPOILERS:

The next movie could very well be the kid's LEGO world versus his sister's - as we kinda saw with his sister's abominations invading to destroy the kid's world that Emmett inhabits.

Of course, it's very likely that it could just be a new premise entirely.

Anyway, I think I'm going to start collecting the LEGO Movie theme to start off with and then I'll probably end up collecting LEGOs in general thanks to this movie. Would anyone have any recommendations as to what's a good LEGO Movie set to start off with? I was thinking Lord Business' Lair. This will literally be my first LEGO set ever. At least I don't remember ever having any LEGO sets.

Ryuuroden

Not sure if you know this, but a sequel has already been announced to be in the works. My guess is that..

LEGO Movie SPOILERS:

The next movie could very well be the kid's LEGO world versus his sister's - as we kinda saw with his sister's abominations invading to destroy the kid's world that Emmett inhabits.

Anyway, I think I'm going to start collecting the LEGO Movie theme to start off with and then I'll probably end up collecting LEGOs in general thanks to this movie. Would anyone have any recommendations as to what's a good LEGO Movie set to start off with? I was thinking Lord Business' Lair. This will literally be my first LEGO set ever. At least I don't remember ever having any LEGO sets.

I hear that all of them are good, I personally like the 2 in 1 sets a lot, haven't gotten them yet but will be. The first one I am getting is Metalbeard's Sea Cow that comes out in like a week to VIP members. If you live near a Lego Store, you should definitely go to it. It will have all the exclusive sets as well and you will see built models and so on, its quite the experience.

neonglow

LEGO Movie SPOILERS:

I hope the Friends mini-dolls make an appearance. It was quite odd that they weren't mentioned at all..

The Lord Business one is good if you want a playset. If you want a vehicle or mech set, get either Rescue Reinforcement or Super Cycle Chase.

70813-1.jpg

70808-1.jpg

I hope the Friends mini-dolls make an appearance. It was quite odd that they weren't mentioned at all..

The Lord Business one is good if you want a playset. If you want a vehicle or mech set, get either Rescue Reinforcement or Super Cycle Chase.

70813-1.jpg

70808-1.jpg

Solid recommendations, but you forgot MetalBeard!
70807-1.jpg

Shrennin

I fully expect the next movies' message to be about how LEGOs are for everyone - boy or girl. So they could very well easily appear in the next movie. It probably would have been too message heavy if they had tried to tackle that in any way with this movie.

I hear that all of them are good, I personally like the 2 in 1 sets a lot, haven't gotten them yet but will be. The first one I am getting is Metalbeard's Sea Cow that comes out in like a week to VIP members. If you live near a Lego Store, you should definitely go to it. It will have all the exclusive sets as well and you will see built models and so on, its quite the experience.

I actually just bought Lord Business' Evil Lair. Rescue Rangers will be my next one - I also wanted to get the promotional Piece of Resistance that the Lego online store was offering. However, that'll be all of my LEGO purchases for a while. It's a good start though. I also kinda wanted the minifigs that came with the Lair as well.

EDIT:

Metal Beard is awesome, but I might try and eventually get the Sea Cow set that's coming out soon.

I honestly don't think Friends would work. Their legs are stuck together. It would become too much like Toy Story IMO. Besides, I think they would do friends more like they do Ninjago and such.

I fully expect the next movies' message to be about how LEGOs are for everyone - boy or girl. So they could very well easily appear in the next movie. It probably would have been too message heavy if they had tried to tackle that in any way with this movie.

I actually just bought Lord Business' Evil Lair. Rescue Rangers will be my next one - I also wanted to get the promotional Piece of Resistance that the Lego online store was offering. However, that'll be all of my LEGO purchases for a while. It's a good start though. I also kinda wanted the minifigs that came with the Lair as well.

EDIT:

Metal Beard is awesome, but I might try and eventually get the Sea Cow set that's coming out soon.

Boy girl thing could work where real world son and sister are older.

You could start collecting the minifigs in the CMF series. That way you could get your fix for $20 or so a month. Tis a slippery slope.... Bwahahahaha...

I'm okay with Hobbit sets no more, but I do want more LotR sets honestly.

I doubt we will get more LOTR, the ship and the wall set are not moving in any of the store I went to. I am hoping to hit another Target and hoping they have the Nevromancer sera on clearance.

My daughter love the Uni-kitty set, she said she loves that LEGO make pink and pastel "girlie" stuffs, so boo to the haters.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Solid recommendations, but you forgot MetalBeard!
70807-1.jpg

I thought it was weird that they didn't make MetalBeard 100% screen accurate, especially when it's so simple. I definitely fixed mine up immediately!

You just need to do the following:
  • Flip the flame piece on the hat the other way
  • Remove the grey plate under the lock, put the lock piece on the 2nd chest stud, and place an extra gold stud to the right
  • Attach the 3rd chain they give you to his left gold arm piece and right below the left chain
  • Place a flat grey stud on the remaining spot on the right gold arm piece
  • Remove the grey piece from his left hand's thumb (noticed that on my 3rd viewing)

mdAucu8.png

I thought it was weird that they didn't make MetalBeard 100% screen accurate, especially when it's so simple. I definitely fixed mine up immediately!

You just need to do the following:
  • Flip the flame piece on the hat the other way
  • Remove the grey plate under the lock, put the lock piece on the 2nd chest stud, and place an extra gold stud to the right
  • Attach the 3rd chain they give you to his left gold arm piece and right below the left chain
  • Place a flat grey stud on the remaining spot on the right gold arm piece
  • Remove the grey piece from his left hand's thumb (noticed that on my 3rd viewing)

Holy shit, someone call in the micro managers and grab the Kraggle!

Inaccuracies are probably due to the fact that they need the lead time for making toys. The animation most likely go through several revisions from the original design sketches.

Shrennin

You could start collecting the minifigs in the CMF series. That way you could get your fix for $20 or so a month. Tis a slippery slope.... Bwahahahaha...

Just to be clear: Is that this: http://www.lego.com/en-us/movie/products/products/71004-lego-minifigures

Because I totally bought one of those polybags (I guess that's what they are?) with my purchase of the Lair. >_>

Like I said, this is my first time buying LEGO anything so I'm not too well versed on the terminology/sets/whathavevyou lol

I would LOVE to collect Batman sets though - that's on my to-do list after the Movie theme.

Let me just put this here.....

This was my second contest and I really enjoyed it. Somehow my own MOCs tend to be on a grand scale so progress very slowly but for this I carved out about an hour one evening and got it done.

Enjoyed it so much I'm putting it into MLCAD right now.

Just to be clear: Is that this: http://www.lego.com/en-us/movie/products/products/71004-lego-minifigures

Because I totally bought one of those polybags (I guess that's what they are?) with my purchase of the Lair. >_>

Like I said, this is my first time buying LEGO anything so I'm not too well versed on the terminology/sets/whathavevyou lol

I would LOVE to collect Batman sets though - that's on my to-do list after the Movie theme.

Yes that is the current release. Simpsons is the next Collectible Minifigures (CMFs) release around May/June. After that, they are back to the regular CMF releases.

Sample of what has been released in the CMF series in the past:

tumblr_mmgyfdLTdb1rir6lho1_1280.jpg

This was my second contest and I really enjoyed it. Somehow my own MOCs tend to be on a grand scale so progress very slowly but for this I carved out about an hour one evening and got it done.

Holy Vic Viper! Nice work!

Holy Vic Viper! Nice work!

Thanks! I think Space is about alI can build but like to think what I make is pleasing......

Picked up 70805 Trash Chomper from WH Smith, price was £25 but I had a spend more than £12 get £5 off voucher from a recent receipt so got it for £20.

They even gave me the receipt back and said I could use it again so if any UK Lego GAF want an image to print off and scan themselves PM me. My WH Smith had the Ice Cream Van, Super Secret Police car and a few small sets in stock.

They also have the CMF's so I got the last three I wanted (will snap a pic later).

Mega Bloks has announced they are working on a movie too!

"The Mega Bloks Movie"

This original computer animated story follows Elliot, an ordinary, mediocre-settling, perfectly average Mega Bloks minifigure who is mistakenly identified as the most extraordinary person and the key to saving the world.

His world is falling apart and he must find a way to keep it together. The evil Lord Legodt stands in his way, but Elliot learns to take Lord Legodt's plans and use it to his benefit.

The pieces falling in a theater near you.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, someone call in the micro managers and grab the Kraggle!

I don't understand what you mean. Are you equating making a character from the movie 100% accurate to being an obsessed AFOL like The Man Upstairs?
It only takes five very minimal changes to make him screen accurate, something that is easily done with the extra pieces involved in the set.

Sure, most people won't care, but it's so easy to do and makes it more enjoyable as a giant figure during playtime. I love me some Metalbeard.

EDIT: Oh, you're banned. Nevermind.

On another note, I really want that sweet alternate hoverjet-esque build for the Super Cycle Chase.

How much longer is the contest running? I think Amaxon might be selling the set for $13 but I might be wrong. I may get it

Rootbeer

Banned
Just called my LEGO store... yeah they got all the new SW, Joker Steam Roller and probably more... sadly there is no way I can get there today. It will have to be tomorrow. I hope they have some in stock still.

if i knew they were getting shit in i'd have went this morning... goddamn it. i thought Tuesday was new item day.

Rootbeer

Banned
The Santa Clara store. They had most of the sets in stock by I only saw one steamroller set on shelf. They were sticking the shelves when I got there.

Cool thanks. Mine's the Dublin, CA store. When I called I asked if they got any new items in. instead of answering they asked me if I was looking for anything specific. then I said SW and the steam roller set. That's when they admitted they got a lot of new stuff in and started naming off some of it.

hopefully since the new SW sets are out on the same day, coupled with a lot of depleted wallets thanks to the LEGO movie stuff, there will be plenty when I go tomorrow. We shall see!

8bit

Knows the Score
I saw the Microfighters in Glasgow at the turn of the year, but I seem to remember they had some kind of game / Internet tie-in, anyone able to explain what that might be?

Ponn

Banned
Finally able to see movie this afternoon. EVERYTHING WAS extremely good and above standard.

After seeing it and hearing about the Fox News kerfluffle either they didnt even see the movie or worse, their hearts are so cold the meaning of the movie completely escaped them. And that makes me sad to see.

edit:

Also, thanks you bunch of dirty Galaxy Squad loving AFOL's. Look what you made me do.

I swore to not get into this theme and i've ended up with 3 of them. My walmart never puts Lego sets on clearance and I was peeking down the aisle to see if they had any Lego Movie CMF's yet (nope, in fact the Lego Movie endcap was bare except for trash chomper and ice cream whatever). Anyways what do I see but some red tagged sets, and I find this set sitting by itself the last one at $35. I begrudgingly put it in my cart while cursing the name Phonciple Bone. I then see a Vermin Vaporizer also marked down to $35. I didn't get that though because I spied one more set on clearance...

Only had one left on clearance for $40 so I snagged it. If Amazon happens to have some crazy sale later on them that would be cool because I kind of want two of them but if not meh, I got the figs I wanted out of it.

How much longer is the contest running? I think Amaxon might be selling the set for $13 but I might be wrong. I may get it

Closes 16th Feb. LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #4 |OT| - Thunderblocks are go!

Bad iPad photo with bad lighting.....
Got all the CMF's from TLM that I wanted. I really like President Business, might swap a better head and hair on to get Business Me.

Build was fun for the rubbish truck, will do the other build tomorrow.

Ryuuroden

I went out to get stick on hangers for some of my pictures in frames to put around my new place and "stupidly" checked the toy section. I ended up spending the money i brought with me on Galaxy Squad Eradicator Mech on clearance so I guess hanging up pictures will have to wait -.-;..... This is my first Galaxy Squad set, hell its my first space set non Star Wars in 20 odd years.

ghostmind

Well, we are a week away from the VIP release, and no reveal of the Sea Cow. This is unusual for LEGO, but perhaps given the secretive way they referred to it in the store calendar, they are truly hoping to surprise some people when it arrives at the LEGO store.

Among AFOLs though, this has to be the worst kept secret.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Picked up 70805 Trash Chomper from WH Smith, price was £25 but I had a spend more than £12 get £5 off voucher from a recent receipt so got it for £20.

They even gave me the receipt back and said I could use it again so if any UK Lego GAF want an image to print off and scan themselves PM me. My WH Smith had the Ice Cream Van, Super Secret Police car and a few small sets in stock.

I did this too - great way to get £5 off each the £25 sets (which WHS are surprisingly selling at RRP and not hiking the price up for - they often charge around 1/3 on top of the recommended price).

Any UK'ers seen if WHS has any of the other bigger movie sets, specifically Metal Beard, etc?

neonglow

I actually went back to the LEGO store since they stocked even more stuff. Ended up spending about $100 today. I would have gotten more but I had to save some purchases for next month's Martian Manhunter promo.

mojiimbo

Just called my LEGO store... yeah they got all the new SW, Joker Steam Roller and probably more... sadly there is no way I can get there today. It will have to be tomorrow. I hope they have some in stock still.

if i knew they were getting shit in i'd have went this morning... goddamn it. i thought Tuesday was new item day.
Did they offer to put them on hold for you? Some stores will set stuff aside over the phone for 2 days in case you can't get there right away.

Well, we are a week away from the VIP release, and no reveal of the Sea Cow. This is unusual for LEGO, but perhaps given the secretive way they referred to it in the store calendar, they are truly hoping to surprise some people when it arrives at the LEGO store.

Among AFOLs though, this has to be the worst kept secret.

Yeah, I'm curious as to when we will find out more info about the Sea Cow. I would have thought we would have heard something by now.

Was so soooooooooooooooo tempted to get that new SW set with the lovely trans red pieces but I stayed my ground. Next month will be splendid. Did grab one of the new Friends set and used my holiday box to fill up on pieces. I found a lot of light green leaf pieces if anyone was interested.

Top Bottom